Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #31
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

We had originally planned to stay in Houston near the airport. However, there just did not seem anything that interested us in Houston. So now we are heading straight to Galveston and will have the whole of Friday there. We
Are planning to visit Moody Gardens and if we can squeeze it in have a ride on the ferry. We are currently booked at the Holiday Inn on the Beach, but I am second-guessing this decision at the moment.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #32
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

This is just my opinion on Moody Gardens, but if you have a nice zoo and aquarium in your city, skip Moody Gardens. The Discovery Pyramid is a total waste of space IMO. The aquarium is the best part but like I said, if you have one where you live no need to go to one here.

We visited the new Pleasure Pier over Fourth of July and it is fun. Small but fun. We don't have kids and spent less than 2 hours there. With kids it is probably a half day thing. There is a Bubba Gumps seafood restaurant there. We ate there only because family wanted to. Skip it and find a local seafood place instead.
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 03:52 AM   #33
RodNicPena
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrame View Post
Looking for one way car rental are there any options from Houston to galveston?
Enterprise will but the one way fee alone is like $250! I checked because we thought about a rental instead of driving our cars but too much $$$ sad but true...gas is cheaper!

2 weeks till cruise!
RodNicPena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #34
RodNicPena
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcford View Post
I'm looking for which hotels offer free parking for the length of the cruise. Also of those which of those offers a shuttle.

There are various threads that have some info but all in one would be awesome!

Holiday Inn Resort...free parking and shuttle. A friend of mine stayed last month and said it was great. We are staying 20-22.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #35
disneydad123
Mouseketeer

Thank you!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #36
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodNicPena View Post
Enterprise will but the one way fee alone is like $250! I checked because we thought about a rental instead of driving our cars but too much $$$ sad but true...gas is cheaper!

2 weeks till cruise!
I called Enterprise and reserved a 2-day, one-way rental from Houston Hobby to Galveston for May. There is no drop fee, and the total charge for 2 days will be $120.99 for an economy car.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #37
mikehn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcford View Post
I'm looking for which hotels offer free parking for the length of the cruise. Also of those which of those offers a shuttle.

There are various threads that have some info but all in one would be awesome!
The Hilton on Seawall Blvd. has both free parking for the duration of the cruise and free shuttle to/from the cruise terminal. Lastminutetravel has good rates for the hilton, which is one of the mystery hotels.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #38
Chee Chick
DIS Veteran

Someone posted on our cruise meet thread this week that Galveston Park N' Cruise cancelled their reservation that was booked months before. They were told that they were not taking reservations for certain Disney cruises. I don't understand why they would do this if they already have a paying customer.

Chee Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #39
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chee Chick View Post
Someone posted on our cruise meet thread this week that Galveston Park N' Cruise cancelled their reservation that was booked months before. They were told that they were not taking reservations for certain Disney cruises. I don't understand why they would do this if they already have a paying customer.

I would guess that's because of all the sudden itinerary changes.

Thanks to all for the hotel info, and which ones offer free parking and shuttles -- I'll update the main post in just a bit when I get a chance to add links!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #40
Gina

Oh, and I just have to comment on the Moody Gardens thing... DS & I have passes to both and to Palm Beach at Moody Gardens (going tomorrow, in fact!) and we never, ever get tired of either place. Between the monkeys frolicking all around you in the incredible (and now 2-story) Rainforest pyramid, watching the penguins have fun in the Aquarium pyramid, all the science-y stuff in the Discovery pyramid that we love, the 3D IMAX theater, the 4D motion theater, riding the Colonel paddlewheel boat, or just walking the grounds outside and gawking at the azalea gardens and the view over the water, we just can't get enough. We never run out of things to do.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #41
Atomic
Earning My Ears

Hilton & Holiday Inn

As far as location, both of are good choices. I've never been inside either.

Adjacent to lots of restaurants & activities. Close to Walmart for last minute supplies & Spec's on 61st street, great liquor store.

Moody Gardens Rain Forest & aquarium pyramids are worth the effort, in my opinion. A 1st rate aircraft museum near by too.

Riding the ferry across the bay is fun, we do it for grins, but you won't see anything that can't be see from the Magic. The lines can be a real bear if you drive on. Parking & walking is the best bet. UNLESS you want to drive to Fort Travis, I haven't been in years, but it was really cool & free.

Last edited by Atomic; 09-07-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #42
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodNicPena View Post
Holiday Inn Resort...free parking and shuttle. A friend of mine stayed last month and said it was great. We are staying 20-22.

Hi, quick question: Do you mean the Holiday Inn - On the Beach, or the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort? So I can link the correct one. Thanks!

Old 09-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #43
Pocahantas
Dreams do come true - I'm now a DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chee Chick View Post
I just tried booking Galveston Park N' Cruise for our March 23rd cruise on the Disney Magic and it says they are sold out but when I changed to the RCCL Mariner sailing on March 24th it was available
12/02 CR; 2/04 CR ; 5/05 Pop/BCV/AKL; 10/05 POFQ/BCV; 2/06 VWL; 5/06 BWV; 12/06 POR/BCV/WL; 6/07 SSR/BCV; 10/07 BCV; 12/07 POFQ/BCV; 5/08 DCL/Vero; 2/09 BWV; 6/09 BCV; 9/09 AKL/DCL/BC; 5/10 BLT/Poly; 3/11 BCV/BLT; 6/11 DCL-Alaska; 6/12 DCL Bahamas Double Dip; 2/13 DCL W.Carib; 6/13 BCV; 10/13 BCV; 3/14 VGF Next Up: 6/14 - VGC On the Horizon: 10/14 DCL-Southern Carib
Pocahantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #44
RodNicPena
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Hi, quick question: Do you mean the Holiday Inn - On the Beach, or the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort? So I can link the correct one. Thanks!
On the Beach...5002 Seawall
Old 09-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #45
RodNicPena
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehn View Post
The Hilton on Seawall Blvd. has both free parking for the duration of the cruise and free shuttle to/from the cruise terminal. Lastminutetravel has good rates for the hilton, which is one of the mystery hotels.
Are you sure about this? I could have sworn I called Hilton and they declined offering shuttle service even though their site offers it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: