Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #61
missycj96
DIS Veteran

I love babycakes and do not have any dietary restrictions. I do like the taste of "health food" and have been eating it my whole life do to my moms restrictions and preferences so i'm used to it. I appreciate their business and am thrilled to have them at disney.
missycj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #62
Kims09
Mouseketeer

I'm a Babycakes fan! However, I do not have any dietary restrictions. I wouldn't say that the cupcakes were my favorite, but I absolutely love their cookie sandwiches. They are very moist. It's a must-do everytime we visit!
Kims09 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #63
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Something tells me op didn't know this was a gluten free bakery.....

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #64
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylyn_b View Post
Something tells me op didn't know this was a gluten free bakery.....
Actually I did. I have several friends with gluten-sensitivities and just hanging out with them and visiting their homes, I've had the opportunity to sample various gluten-free items. Some are pretty good and some are simply awful. They spend a lot of money trying new things that often end up in the trash. The particular items we tried at Baby Cakes fell into the "trash" category IMO.

I understand that folks with dietary restrictions appreciate having a place that focuses on their needs and I think it's great that Disney is providing that, but if the stuff isn't good, is that really a benefit? Is it really a special treat to get a lousy tasting cupcake?

If you like what they serve, that's terrific. Go and enjoy. Personally, all 3 of us found the cupcakes to be awful. It sounds like several posters to this thread have agreed. I think one person even mentioned throwing them out after a couple of bites. Obviously, personal tastes vary and for whatever reason, there are people who actually like the products. I guess if you have the relevant dietary issues, give them a try and see what you think.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Me, DW, DD and MIL with cast of Festival of the Lion King, 11/10/06
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #65
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Actually I did. I have several friends with gluten-sensitivities and just hanging out with them and visiting their homes, I've had the opportunity to sample various gluten-free items. Some are pretty good and some are simply awful. They spend a lot of money trying new things that often end up in the trash. The particular items we tried at Baby Cakes fell into the "trash" category IMO.

I understand that folks with dietary restrictions appreciate having a place that focuses on their needs and I think it's great that Disney is providing that, but if the stuff isn't good, is that really a benefit? Is it really a special treat to get a lousy tasting cupcake?

If you like what they serve, that's terrific. Go and enjoy. Personally, all 3 of us found the cupcakes to be awful. It sounds like several posters to this thread have agreed. I think one person even mentioned throwing them out after a couple of bites. Obviously, personal tastes vary and for whatever reason, there are people who actually like the products. I guess if you have the relevant dietary issues, give them a try and see what you think.
I think Babycakes does the best they can given they have a restricted ingredient list. I don't think their products taste like "real" cupcakes. For those who need a gluten free or vegan alternative, they probably provide an acceptable treat.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #66
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
I think Babycakes does the best they can given they have a restricted ingredient list. I don't think their products taste like "real" cupcakes. For those who need a gluten free or vegan alternative, they probably provide an acceptable treat.
But is Disney about just providing acceptable treats? I know vegan is a big food trend but to have just an acceptable product to me sounds like

Look at us we have vegan food! Just don't expect it to taste good.

I know its a compromise but if it doesn't stand on its own as a good treat I don't think Disney should have such a specialized shop. In an urban environment Baby Cakes can work because there are other standard bakeries around. So those that need or want vegan have a choice.

Many people don't know that Dole whips are lactose and can be for some considered dairy free. They don't make a big deal about it and most people love them without that knowledge.

Last edited by chartle; 09-04-2012 at 08:00 AM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #67
SMorgan711
It all starts with a wish!

I have a dairy allergy so I love vegan bakeries!! There is one near my house that makes fabulous desserts! Even people who do no have allergies / are not vegan love getting desserts from there!

I was in Disney in February 2011 and tried out babycakes. I was severly disappointed. I couldn't even eat the couple of cupcakes I bought. I guess I just thought all vegan stuff was like the one where I live.

I went back to Disney in December 2011 and since we were celebrating, I decided to give them another try and order a cake to be delievered to our ADR. OMG It was delicious! We got the vanilla cake with chocolate chips and chocolate icing. Everyone loved it! We stopped by the shop in DTD and picked up some goodies and they were really good. MUCH better than in Feb. Maybe they were just working out the kinks and now they are getting better at making the different products.

We are definitely stopping by next month AND getting another cake delievered to an ADR. This was the best thing they ever did. The allergy friendly cake that Disney serves tastes like cardboard IMO. We love babycakes!!

1990 Poly | 1991 CB | 1994 POFQ | 1995 ASSp | Apr 1999 ASMu | Apr 2002 POR | 2004-2005 (New Years) WL | Oct 2008 SoG | Jan 2009 SoG | Sep 2009 POR | Feb 2011 AKL (JUST ENGAGED!) | Dec 2011 Poly | Oct 2012 BWI | Nov 2013 POFQ | Feb 2014 YC (DFTW!) |

SMorgan711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #68
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
But is Disney about just providing acceptable treats? I know vegan is a big food trend but to have just an acceptable product to me sounds like

Look at us we have vegan food! Just don't expect it to taste good.

I know its a compromise but if it doesn't stand on its own as a good treat I don't think Disney should have such a specialized shop. In an urban environment Baby Cakes can work because there are other standard bakeries around. So those that need or want vegan have a choice.

Many people don't know that Dole whips are lactose and can be for some considered dairy free. They don't make a big deal about it and most people love them without that knowledge.
BBM. You make a good point. I won't go to Babycakes again. I don't have "dietary" restrictions, but I do have to watch my calories. I'm picky about how I spend my dessert calories. I don't waste them on just OK food. I'll save those calories and spend them on something that is totally delicious.
That said, I understand Babycakes fills a need in the food market, and that's good for those who want and enjoy their product.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #69
PeanutButterMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
I have no allergies, not vegan or even vegetarian, not gluten free and I would like to try Babycakes.
:yeahthat: I didn't know about the bakery before this thread, but now that I know about it I might search it out. PB's best friend is Celiac and it might be cool to bring him home a treat from WDW. (Anyone know if they have a Disney-esque cupcake or doughnut?)

Me, I'd like to give them my patronage purely so that they stick around enough for those with serious dietary restrictions can have goodies (I tend to see "they're terrible", "they're fabulous" reviews for most everything, and assume that most things fall in the middle somewhere. So while I won't expect them to knock my socks off, I'll bet they aren't spit-it-out horrible either. I see it as a YMMV kind of thing. I've had GF cake (and hell, even regular old cake ) that was yuck and some that was awesome. I go to a hometown bakery that I and many others think is amazing, but I know more than a handful that think they're cake is dry and won't touch the stuff. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and welcome to share it. Personally, I'm excited that it exists.
Me (slice-o-bread #1) DH (my matching slice) PeanutButter (AKA PB) Jelly
PeanutButterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #70
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorgan711 View Post
I was in Disney in February 2011 and tried out babycakes. I was severly disappointed. I couldn't even eat the couple of cupcakes I bought.

I went back to Disney in December 2011 and since we were celebrating, I decided to give them another try and order a cake to be delievered to our ADR. OMG It was delicious!

MUCH better than in Feb. Maybe they were just working out the kinks and now they are getting better at making the different products.
I hope that's the case. Perhaps they changed the recipes. I know that gluten-free stuff can be good, certainly better than what we got there last year (this is an old thread).
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Me, DW, DD and MIL with cast of Festival of the Lion King, 11/10/06
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #71
CrabbyPatty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
The particular items we tried at Baby Cakes fell into the "trash" category IMO.

Funny, I feel exactly the same way about the much-loved cinnamon rolls at the Main Street Bakery. People wax poetic about those goopy overly-sweet things, and I personally wonder if it's really a special treat to get a lousy tasting pastry, but I don't think I would personally make it my mission to let everyone know not to waste their money on them.
WDW - 8/26/12 - 9/1/12 WL w/free DDP
DL - 8/13/13 - 8/19/13 - Fairfield Inn
DL - 8/23/14 - 8/27/14 - Courtyard Marriott Anaheim
CrabbyPatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: