Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
GrannyEv
Happiness is watching your grandkids faces when they see the castle for the first time!!!

Air Canada

My grandaughter and I are heading to The World on Tuesday. (YEAH!!! We are flying out of Toronto and using Air Canada.
I usually fly out of Detroit, but since moving way up North it limits my options somewhat. I could have flown out of Rochester NY but my brother got me a good deal, round trip ticket from Toronto.

So a few questions since I have never flown out of Toronto before.

1. I won't have access to a printer so can't print out my boarding passes ahead of time. I do have a small laptop that I am taking so would it be easier to register before I got there and then print out the boarding passes.I understand there are kiosks at the airport. Are they user friendly or would it be easier to just go up to the air canada counter.

2. Do you get your pass and then check your baggage at the counter or is there a special counter for those who have pre-registered

3. I assume like the Detroit you pass through security and then you can get snacks, etc for the plane ride

4. I also see that there is a check-in available through your cell phone. How does it work.

I have great faith that some of my fellow Disers can answer my questions.

Hugs
GrannyEv (Carol)
Sept 11-POP/Sept 12-POP/Sept 13-AOA
GrannyEv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyev View Post
1. I won't have access to a printer so can't print out my boarding passes ahead of time. I do have a small laptop that i am taking so would it be easier to register before i got there and then print out the boarding passes.i understand there are kiosks at the airport. Are they user friendly or would it be easier to just go up to the air canada counter.
you will see all of the boarding pass kiosks near the check in areas. There is usually an employee there to assist if necessary, but they're very user friendly. You can also print out your baggage tags there. I don't think that going straight to the counter is even an option anymore

2. Do you get your pass and then check your baggage at the counter or is there a special counter for those who have pre-registered
yes-once you have your boarding pass and baggage tags, proceed to the lineup for the counter(one lineup for several agents, just like at the bank

3. I assume like the detroit you pass through security and then you can get snacks, etc for the plane ride correct. You proceed immediately to preclear us customs and then through security to your boarding gate.

4. I also see that there is a check-in available through your cell phone. How does it work. we just got our first smart phone-so haven't used this feature yet.
hth
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
GrannyEv
Happiness is watching your grandkids faces when they see the castle for the first time!!!

Re: Air Canada

Thanks so much MinnieMum.. You have answered all my questions and now feel better that I won't have any trouble getting the passes etc.

Hugs
GrannyEv
Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
4stroke
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyEv

4. I also see that there is a check-in available through your cell phone. How does it work.
Hi there,

For flights to the US, you can use the 'online' check-in feature (website or the Air Canada app for your phone) to select your seats, but you still have to go to the kiosk in person to print your boarding pass and bag tags.

Out of curiosity, what time of day are you traveling? If its the early a.m. Flight, I highly recommend arriving at least 3 hours prior to departure....the customs hall gets quite backed up in the mornings, and that can eat up a lot of time. Better to arrive early and be relaxed, than be rushed for time if the lineups get crazy.

Enjoy!!

4Stroke

Apr/08: Offsite ~ Apr/09: Offsite ~ Apr/10: CR ~ Oct/10: Disney Paris Offsite ~ Apr/11: CR ~ Oct/11: CSR & POFQ (Purchased DVC )
~ Jan/12: BLT & VWL ~ May/12: BLT & VWL ~ Oct/12: BLT & POR ~ Jan/13: SSR ~ May/13: VWL ~ Jan/14: BLT
4stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
GrannyEv

I already have my seats reserved so no worries there. Yes I always arrive super early..I will probably arrive at the airport about 7:30..our flight leaves at 10:15 am..

Thanks for the tips though. I think I was about 10 the last time I flew out of Toronto..

Hugs
GrannyEv
Old 09-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

You forgot that you also have to go though customs when flying out of Toronto. They will ask you where your going and why....all border like questions.

We usually fly out of Buffalo so when we fly out of Toronto we were lost too. A lot more steps. I think you have to fill out a form as well to hand to them. This is before security.
NAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
GrannyEv

Yeah, first time flying out of Toronto as an adult. I'm sure I'll manage, just the unknown lol.. I'm a very organized person, knew exactly what to do and where to go flying out of Detroit. I did consider flying out of Buffalo but my brother got me such a good deal on airfare out of Toronto.. Not too much more and if it saves me a couple hours of driving and also don't have to do the hotel and park and fly in Buffalo (my daughter lives about an hour from Toronto so is going to drop me and my grandaughter off at the airport)..

Hugs
GrannyEv (Carol)
Old 09-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Tinkershelly
DisneyWorld trip winner!
Holy moley, there are soooo many items!

At the boarding pass kiosk you will also need to scan your passport. I've always had an agent help with that part, I think the kiosk flags those travelling to the US and makes sure they are all helped through that process so it's done right. You then print your boarding passes and checked luggage tags. No worries, they won't let you do it wrong!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
GrannyEv

Thanks for all the helpful tips. I knew my fellow diser's wouldn't let me down

And it sounds like the folks at the airport are very helpful. As long as I get on the right plane I'm good LOL

Hugs
GrannyEv
Old 09-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Daisy-J&D
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyEv View Post
I already have my seats reserved so no worries there.
I would try to check in 24 hours in advance if you have access. We had chosen our seats last year and on our way home they switched planes from an Airbus A19 (3 seat/2 seat) to an Embrayer 190 (2 seat/2 seat). Families were split up but we luckily were able to have 2 seats together and the adjacent aisle so our family of 3 still sat together.
1982 - Off Site , 1984 - Off Site, 2002 - Off Site Sheraton Safari, 2004 - Pop Century/Off Site, 2004 - Disney Wonder, 2007 - Pop Century, 2008 - Pop Century, 2011 - Pop Century, 2012 - POFQ, 2015 - Disney Fantasy, 2015- Art of Animation.

Jess , Dee and DD4
Daisy-J&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
Daisy-J&D
DIS Veteran

We check in online over our ipad which I assume is the same as an iphone/smartphone. We were sent an e-mail with a link and were asked for our name & booking reference number. After that it was really easy step by step to check in. We paid by Credit Card for our 2 checked bags and that was pretty much it. Like a PP said, you do not get a boarding pass (which is interesting, I think you get one with West Jet!) so you still have to go to the counter. We checked in online to make sure we get the seats we reserved. I have my fingers crossed that it works because I learned a valuable lesson last year about which side of the plane I want to be on (to install a carseat).

Happy travels.
1982 - Off Site , 1984 - Off Site, 2002 - Off Site Sheraton Safari, 2004 - Pop Century/Off Site, 2004 - Disney Wonder, 2007 - Pop Century, 2008 - Pop Century, 2011 - Pop Century, 2012 - POFQ, 2015 - Disney Fantasy, 2015- Art of Animation.

Jess , Dee and DD4
Daisy-J&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
GrannyEv

Yes, I did find the site on my phone so have saved it to my favourites. I was sent an email changing my flight time (only by 15 minutes) and noticed that on the way back (we have to change planes in Montreal) they had my grandaughter and myself sitting apart so called and they changed it for me.
So yes will check on Monday, 24hrs ahead of time.. Not sure what time I am leaving to head to Orillia where my oldest daughter lives, (she is driving us to the airport)..It's a 6 hour drive south from where I live..So may be able to do this all at home and print out a pass depending on what time I leave..But all sounds super easy I leave all the planes ressies and seats to my brother. He lives for this stuff LOL..

thanks again to everyone for all the tips and advice..

hugs
GrannyEv

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: