Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #361
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Congrats to K on her win, and to Evan for making the wind ensemble!!

Eric!!

I bet they're excited to get back to school soon! My girls started yesterday and it's going to be good to get back into a routine. I think it will take Sarah a bit to get adjusted to the middle school routine though!
Overall, they are excited. Evan's got mixed reactions about his schedule/teacher but I think it's all good. The routine will be hard for a week or 2 for sure.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #362
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

Yay for making the band!

Hunter auditioned this morning for Jazz band. He's in 9th grade so he is already in the lower Jazz band, but he's hoping to make it in the big league.

I'm the mom to 3 band geeks
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #363
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkers
Yay for making the band!

Hunter auditioned this morning for Jazz band. He's in 9th grade so he is already in the lower Jazz band, but he's hoping to make it in the big league.

I'm the mom to 3 band geeks
Yah, Evan should be in the top jazz band for middle school this year but that will all change next. He was in the lower one last year and was frustrated with it. Making wind ensemble should put him on a different band track for hs I think but am not sure. There are 2 or 3 jazz bands at the HS I think.

Mom/stepmom to 4 band geeks. If you count choir. Lol!

Fingers crossed for Hunter!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #364
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

I know I'm late but I'm here. It has taken me days to get caught up but I've really enjoyed it!

I have to say I'm in a band geek family too. Oldest's degree is music education and even marched in his college band. I also have an 8th grader. She plays flute and just got into talented music.

I'm loving your report but the start wore me out. I don't know how you got all that into one day!

We spent all most a whole day in DTD in 2010. We went into almost every store. This past trip we did the short version due to it being at night and only a few hours. I have to say I enjoyed the 2010 tour and seeing in during the daylight. I say more and it wasn't as crowded. I finally tried EOS in Feb and loved it! But Cookes does sound good too.

Congrats to everyone in your family! I hope the celebration was fun.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
Old 09-06-2012, 05:56 AM   #365
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Happy Birthday to Evan! Judging by the FB pics, he had a delicious birthday dinner!

Congrats to K for her team's win and yeay for Eric making wind ensemble!!! Awesome!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #366
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Happy Birthday, Eric

Congrats, Evan

K for the soccer win.

Wow! I can't believe how late the boys' schools start.

I'm so glad I read this today- I think Ben has band for the first time and he mentioned he should bring his trombone. Which is still here at the house!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #367
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamassey1 View Post
I know I'm late but I'm here. It has taken me days to get caught up but I've really enjoyed it!
Not late at all! We're only halfway through day 2!

I'm so glad you are here!!!

Quote:
I have to say I'm in a band geek family too. Oldest's degree is music education and even marched in his college band. I also have an 8th grader. She plays flute and just got into talented music.
Ah, marching band. I did that for 2 years in HS (Clarinet and then Bells) but then migrated to cheer and flags so still was fairly involved with the band all the way through. Did vocal jazz till the end though. It cracks me up to watch Glee, there was none of that at my school, and it's SO hard to imagine it being looked down on like that but I've heard from friends that it was at their school. We are lucky though, our district has always been strong in music, which makes it "cool" and so is Kendall's though theirs is a bit more vocal focuses and ours on the band side.

Eric just hit the motherlode last night at his birthday dinner. My mom brought a HUGE box of piano music for him. All my grandmothers old music.

So cool.

Band geeks rule! Flute is so lovely.

Quote:
I'm loving your report but the start wore me out. I don't know how you got all that into one day!
Well it made it go by fast that's for sure!

Quote:
We spent all most a whole day in DTD in 2010. We went into almost every store. This past trip we did the short version due to it being at night and only a few hours. I have to say I enjoyed the 2010 tour and seeing in during the daylight. I say more and it wasn't as crowded. I finally tried EOS in Feb and loved it! But Cookes does sound good too.
Daylight was better, definitely! I still want to try EOS, don't see it happening in Oct so hopefully on the next family trip it's possibly more likely I'll visit the DLR one first. LOL!

Quote:
Congrats to everyone in your family! I hope the celebration was fun.
It was a very fun dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Happy Birthday to Evan! Judging by the FB pics, he had a delicious birthday dinner!

Congrats to K for her team's win and yeay for Eric making wind ensemble!!! Awesome!
Thanks! It was actually Eric's bday and Evan in wind ensemble but either way, both celebrated! Eric had a great night and day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Happy Birthday, Eric

Congrats, Evan

K for the soccer win.

Wow! I can't believe how late the boys' schools start.
I know, drives me nuts! Evan actually starts cross country practice today but actual school not till Monday and that's only a 1/2 day. I wish we started earlier. Used to but they cut some of the in service days and now it is a later start, with the same really late end. I'd rather start earlier and end earlier and get rid of the full week break for President's week but...it's not like they ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
I'm so glad I read this today- I think Ben has band for the first time and he mentioned he should bring his trombone. Which is still here at the house!
Evan doesn't need his the first day but will the 2nd for jazz band. Rest of the bands don't start needing instruments til the 3rd day. Nice thing about daily jazz band is he never forgets it. Which reminds me that I need to check, I think we almost own that thing!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #368
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

Cooke's looks so good! I have been wanting to try there or Raglan Road very badly!! YUM. Although...I don't know how he passed up EoS! I LOVE that place soooo much.

When I find a TR writer that I really like, I always go back and read their previous tr's and I've been doing that with yours. It's fun watching all your kids grow! Can't believe it, really! (Maybe because it's happening even faster for me since I'm fastforwarding it all at whatever rate I read! )

So much exciting stuff going on for the kids! Way to go, K! Always great to break in the new season with a W! Happy birthday, Eric! And congrats, Evan, for making Wind Ensemble! I hope the celebrations were so great! The transition back into school sounds brutal for Evan though! Oh my goodness, if I had ever started off the day with any math class, sleeping in would be THAT much more tempting! I had chemistry 1st period one year and that was rough!
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR

Old 09-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #369
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
Cooke's looks so good! I have been wanting to try there or Raglan Road very badly!! YUM. Although...I don't know how he passed up EoS! I LOVE that place soooo much.
He didn't want a sandwich. I think it was as simple, and odd, as that. The reaction was a bit over the top and actually kind of funny but he does love a good pie and I think just had his heart set on it. Someday we will make it there!

Quote:
When I find a TR writer that I really like, I always go back and read their previous tr's and I've been doing that with yours. It's fun watching all your kids grow! Can't believe it, really! (Maybe because it's happening even faster for me since I'm fastforwarding it all at whatever rate I read! )
Oh thank you, that is so sweet! We've definitely had some adventures along the ways and it is amazing to see the changes in the 3.5 years I'v been on the DIS and doing TR's.

Quote:
So much exciting stuff going on for the kids! Way to go, K! Always great to break in the new season with a W! Happy birthday, Eric! And congrats, Evan, for making Wind Ensemble! I hope the celebrations were so great! The transition back into school sounds brutal for Evan though! Oh my goodness, if I had ever started off the day with any math class, sleeping in would be THAT much more tempting! I had chemistry 1st period one year and that was rough!
Yes, that would be brutal. 3rd and 4th periods are probably best for alertness I'd imagine. He has an opposite schedule from last year, last year the hard stuff was at the end of the day and this year it's the fun stuff. Pro's and cons to both I imagine.

Thanks for the congrats, it's been a fun week for all of them I think. Well, partially for Kendall, she started school yesterday and was one tired girl last night!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #370
danielle79
Dreaming of the Castle!

All caught up and ready for more! Your villa is gorgeous! We stayed at the cabins at FW last time we were there and found this to be ideal for our fam, everyone gets a bed and they rotate who gets the top bunk. Murphy bed wasn't bad at all to share with hubby either!

Old 09-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #371
KatMark
DIS Veteran

It seems I've missed a few things the last couple of days (sorry...trying to get six million things done before we leave next week).

So a very Happy Belated Birthday to Eric; congrats to Evan on his music and congrats to your daughter on her soccer win.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #372
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
It cracks me up to watch Glee, there was none of that at my school, and it's SO hard to imagine it being looked down on like that but I've heard from friends that it was at their school.
Band geeks rule! Flute is so lovely.

We love Glee!

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
Old 09-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #373
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle79 View Post
All caught up and ready for more! Your villa is gorgeous! We stayed at the cabins at FW last time we were there and found this to be ideal for our fam, everyone gets a bed and they rotate who gets the top bunk. Murphy bed wasn't bad at all to share with hubby either!
We stayed at the cabins in 2009. It was tight for 6 as the older 2 were adult sized so one got the Murphy, one took the couch and then Kendall and I shared the double bed which was really small for the 2 of us!

I'd do it with just the boys, or maybe even 5 though. We loved the cabins, I wished we could have cooked a full dinner there and enjoyed it on that deck but we did eat breakfast outside most days and loved it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
It seems I've missed a few things the last couple of days (sorry...trying to get six million things done before we leave next week).
A million things and so much going on between Mark's mom, Alisha and your mom! And an engagement party to boot! Impressed you are on here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
So a very Happy Belated Birthday to Eric; congrats to Evan on his music and congrats to your daughter on her soccer win.
Thanks! They've had a good week to be sure.

Quote:
We love Glee!
We are total arts show junkies. Idol, the Sing Off, the Voice, So you think you can dance...LOL! Love Glee.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #374
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Pedal or Paddle? Patootie!

It was almost 5 when we arrived from DTD. We were shopped out and hot. What to do? Jump in the pool of course!! Having learned our lesson the previous day, when we walked all the way around the pool looking for the perfect spot, heading left as we walked towards the pool, today we headed right. Back to our exact same spot and found enough chairs for everyone. We didn't bother to do much beyond staking our ground before we hopped in the water.

AAAAHHHH so refreshing!

You'll notice Eric often has a hat while in the pool. He burns so easily it has become second nature to him to wear it in the pool and while I might let him go without, if he asked, he doesn't. A good habit (for him) started early that has stuck. Now if I could only get the “reapply” to stick as well. Or for that matter, “apply” if mom isn’t there to nag. After about 15 minutes in the pool Jeff and I were cooled off, and snagged a fresh beverage from the gurgling suitcase. We then went back and forth between lounging, the pool and after about 45 minutes I decided to play with the photosynth app again, this time from the bridge while the gang hit the slide. I blew it and didn’t get a close up of them up in the sandcastle as they peeked out, wah! Jeff agreed, good slide. Kendall and I, again, took a pass. Lame but you gotta be in the mood you know?

It's a little funky, but fun

I decided to do a partial instead

By now it was 6:15 and I had one seriously ansty kid on my hand. A kid who’d been put off the day before due to a dinner reservation. We didn’t have a reservation tonight. Tonight I would be cooking our first ever dinner in a villa. Which meant no time constraints and with that...a wish was granted. To be fair, a wish the kid paid for out of his own money! What wish?

Why to be the captain of his own ship of course! Master of his domain...you get the idea.

Ok, boat. Paddle Boat. Pedal Boat. Take your pick, I've seen it both ways. The pedallers (?) were discussed. Evan wanted me to pedal with him. Eric really really wanted to do it. Evan didn't want Eric to feel bad. I figured it was Evan's call and I'd stay out of it but support him either way.

Little brother whining...worked.

Which meant K and I would be in back and Jeff would hang out and chill.

Cool thing about being in the back? I could take pictures to my hearts content with my regular camera, and my phone!

We started to back out

And eventually generated some wake

Saw a little wildlife

And slowly made it to the lighthouse, where Jeff awaited to watch our progress and document from his end

His view

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 09-07-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #375
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Pedal, Paddle, Patootie con't

Very peaceful on the water

They give you a map

Our goal? Ok, Evan's goal?

Treehouse villas of course! This is a boy who is OBSESSED with staying in a treehouse.

We forged on

Past the firepit (yes, OKW does have one)

And being chased down by strange men

As you can see (or Jeff could see), there were a few boats in front of us

We were in no danger of passing them

See ya Jeff!

The boys got a little close to the DVC Ferry

But it managed to get past us

Canal Patrol checked in on us too

And kept going

Finally...our villa!

And a long road ahead

We kept going, couldn't be that much further, right?

At this point, we had been going for about 25 minutes

Despite the peaceful landscape, my zen moments had been interrupted occasionally by Evan.

ERIC! Start Pedaling!

I AM!

NO YOU'RE NOT!

YES I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And on and on and on.

Poor Eric. He has the muscle strength of...a flea. Just not his gig. He can keep up on a hike but this, this was work and how much work at that point I didn’t really realize. I figured, as is typical, Evan was overreacting and being a little bit bullyish as he can be when he gets frustrated with his brother. Eric was being whiney, as he can be when he gets tired or defensive. Neither are pretty or attractive. And caused some cringing by both Kendall and I.

Did I mention you are UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES to switch places while on the water? Our plan had been to get to the THV dock, pull up, and switch Eric into the back.

He was working up a sweat. Mentally and physically

It doesn't help that he doesn't weigh much either

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 09-07-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: