Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
tazdev3225
I sucked my thumb up with the vacuum
I fell up a mountain skiing and sprained both my ankles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesprivate View Post
We didn't see any reason for the traffic either

We had to stop for Ben to pee on the side of the road on the way home in Georgia, there was no rest areas for 40 miles and he had to go
I would have understood the traffic if there had been an accident or construction.

I know Georgia is the longest stretch of road with no rest stops. That's why we look for fast food places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
I'm very impressed you drove straight through. We can't do that, we made it to Brunswick, GA and stopped for the night. We were traveling on the 17 and 18th. Hit traffic outside of Richmond both ways. What is with that area? My husband was screaming "You don't need to brake for a curve!" Because that was the only reason we could tell anyone would slow down.

Glad you made it safely!
I considered stopping last year when we drove but my husband drives a lot for his job so he doidn't care. I was more worried about my SIL. He did a great job driving our truck. He isn't used to something that big. Your husband sounds like me. I yell at the stupid drivers too.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #17
tazdev3225

My notes are good for part of our first Disney day so I will at least get started. Then back to photopass add-ons and updating my notes.

Day 2 - The hotel reviewed.

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn on Kyngs Heath Road in Kissimmee. We drove last year and stayed at the same motel. I saw an ad here on the DIS for Red Roof so I checked the prices. I couldn't pass up the deal. We got 2 rooms for $40.67 each. The motel is only about 10 minutes from Disney so that is a plus and includes a continental breakfast.

That was the highlight. Right after I booked the rooms I called to make sure they knew we were traveling together and needed adjacent rooms. When I checked in they wanted to give me rooms on separate floors and in opposite ends of the building. Um NO!!! We wound up in the same area about 5 rooms apart. I was not happy but too tired to fight about it. The lobby was also being painted when we checked in.

When we got to the rooms we were less than happy. My room looked as though it may have been redone at some time in the last year. We had laminate floors. The room however smelled - REALLY BAD!!!! Thank God for allergies, I didn't really notice it. My daughter said her room had carpet that was SLIMY!!! she refused to walk on it barefoot.

The next morning I realized that we had 2 towels and a small hand towel - in EACH room. Four towels and 8 people, not good. I went to the lobby to request more and they had none available. I was tired and cranky and asked the woman at the desk how they could possibly expect 8 people to shower with 4 towels. We had to share EWWWW!!!! I wasn't the only one complaining about the towels.

The bathroom tub was extremely high. I have bad knees and trouble with my back and barely got in and out, Crystal fell out of hers. The tub also made a wierd cracking noise while you were in it. I also found out that the stopper didn't work so Mikey, who is terrified of the shower, had to take a shower. Thankfully I got him in and out fast.

The continental breakfast consisted of beverages including OJ, coffee, tea and milk. There were some dry cereals, bagels, muffins, danish and bread for toast. This was the only positive there. The food was all fresh. Last year the OJ didn't work and the food was prepackaged. So this was a definite improvement.

The parking lot

Continental Breakfast in the lobby

Pool - we didn't use it but there were people enjoying it when we checked in

Last year I gave the motel a glowing report. Not this year. What really got me was that I checked the prices for the rooms there and they wanted close to $80 a day before taxes for these rooms. Never again. I will be looking for a new hotel for the first night. I will give them the benefit of the doubt because it looks like they may be rehabbing the rooms but I'm not chancing it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #18
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

The drive down sounds like it was nice.

The motel does not sound so nice. I have read reviews for different red roof online and they are usually not so good. It did the job though and let you rest.

Great update
Old 09-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #19
tazdev3225

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
The drive down sounds like it was nice.

The motel does not sound so nice. I have read reviews for different red roof online and they are usually not so good. It did the job though and let you rest.

Great update
Except for the traffic in VA the drive down was really nice.

This Red Roof had mixed reviews on Trip Adviser and it wasn't that bad last year. I left a bad review and will look for another hotel next time. You are right though after a long drive it was a place to sleep.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #20
Lesprivate
DIS Veteran

That hotel sounds like the remade we stayed at in 2010, yuck but we were ready to crash.

DVC Owners - Saratoga Springs since 2006
AKL Kidani August 2013, CBR October 2012, OKW August 2012, May 2011 BLT,October 2010 BLT, August 2010 AKV, August 2009 SSR,May 2009 SSR, August 2008 VWL, August 2007 - POR and BCV, November 2006 - POFQ, August 2004 - ASSP, January 2001 - Offsite, December 1998 - Offsite, May 1997 - Offsite, June 1996 - Offsite, December 1995 - Offsite, June 1994 - Offsite, February 1989 - Offsite, April 1986 - Offsite, April 1985 - Offsite, December 1985 - Offsite, Numerous times as a child
Me , DH , DD , DGS Lucky , Spike Spanky :
Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #21
tazdev3225

Quote:
That hotel sounds like the remade we stayed at in 2010, yuck but we were ready to crash.
Yep after 17+ hours in the car I just wanted to go to bed.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #22
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Sorry the hotel was so bad. To be out of towels like that is crazy. Guess everyone that got to the hotel early used the pool and then used extra towels.

My husband won't stay at a Red Roof, or anything less than about $80. And then he wonders where all of the money went.

Sure hope you have better luck on your next trip.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012

900 Miles, 5 Parks, 2 Resorts, 6 ADR's, and 3 days of Celebration!!! August 2012 TR I love SWW and SW Celebrations...does that mean I am a geek? A PTR of a SW family August 2012. Adventures of a DisneyWORLDholic!
That's it...we moved to Florida to be close to Mickey TR with daily TR's and other Florida Fun!
My DSD came to visit and didn't want to go to WDW with us??? My July 14-21st TR with Busch Gardens, Universal, and of course, WDW.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #23
tazdev3225

Quote:
Sorry the hotel was so bad. To be out of towels like that is crazy. Guess everyone that got to the hotel early used the pool and then used extra towels.

My husband won't stay at a Red Roof, or anything less than about $80. And then he wonders where all of the money went.

Sure hope you have better luck on your next trip.
I don't think the pool was the problem. From what the desk clerk said they only put 2 towels in the room and don't keep extras around.

I tried to be economical about the off-site room since I knew we were getting there late and only spending that night there. The regular price for the Red Roof was about $80, I'm glad I didn't spend that much.

Next trip will be back to the Quality Inn chain.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #24
tazdev3225

DAY - We head to Disney

I was up at 7 AM. This is a theme that will be repeated throughout the trip. I showered and got Jim up. I then headed down to the lobby to try and get more towels and to get something to eat. I had OJ, a cheese danish and coffee. No towels were to be had but the food was good. I grabbed some OJ and a muffin for Jim and headed back to the room. While Jen showered the girls I got Mikey showered. Not easy as he is afraid of showers, He did really well and couldn't wait to tell his mom and dad.

The kids up and ready I took them down to get something to eat. Mikey ran ahead and disappeared. Thankfully he did not take the elevator. The girls had fruit loops and milk, Mikey had fruit loops, a bagel and milk, I had another coffee and a lemon danish.

While we ate the truck was repacked so we were ready to go when we got back to the room. Mikey ran ahead and this time we almost lost him to the elevator. Jay got in my van and the 3 little ones went in the truck so my daughter could see their reaction aas we drve up to Disney. We were on our way by about 8:45 AM. Stopped at the Hess on 535 to get gas.

Gas $3.49 gallon, miles traveled 361 (a total of 1032.8) cost of gas $65.

We are getting close

Jay is thrilled

Then we see

Never noticed Donald before

The kids reaction

Jay promised me this when he makes the Big Leagues, He's a good ball player but I'm not holding my breath

Finally we have arrived to our home for the next 6 nights without getting lost. Last year Jim listened to the crazy GPS and we went to Saratoga Springs first. Where are we? All Star Movies but did I get my request. I shall soon find out.

Jen and the kids entering the lobby

We actually arrived at the resort around 9:15 AM. A little late but not bad. We got into line for check-in, the regular line as I wanted to make sure I could get my 2 requests. The wait was short and soon we were being helped. Request one was granted we had connecting rooms but, in Dalmations and they weren't ready. I asked the CM if there was any way we could get the Toy Story building. He made a phone call and we had Toy Story, but the rooms weren't ready. The 1st time in 12 trips. Not a huge problem. Jim, Jay and Mike decided to stay at the resort and wait. I picked up my ECV and we got a few things from the vehicles we would need. We had to be in MK for 10:30 reservations for BBB for the girls and it was getting late. We rushed over to the bus stop and luck was on our side. A MK bus came fairly quickly. We were on the bus at 10:20 AM

I was a little worried would we have a problem once we got there.

Bippidi Boppity Boutique is up next.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #25
tazdev3225

DAY 2 continues with BBB

So we were on the bus and I was looking at my watch every 10 seconds. I don't know if I thought time would travel faster that way. We got to the MK about 10:30. Not too bad but we had to get through the gates and the crowds. Bag check wasn't that bad. We got through the entrance gate and hit a wall of humanity. Jen had the girls, I had Mikey and I said, "Head to the castle and don't stop!" We battled through the crowds and some show on Main Street and we were there. Not how I envisioned the kids seeing the Castle for the first time.

We found the BBB and hit a line. There were a couple of families trying to get in without reservations. They just couldn't get that you can't just walk up and get in.
I finally got the CM's attention and told her we were late for our appointment. Not a problem. We parked the coach and scooter and went in. While waiting theere were some visitors

Soon they called Ella and Crystal

Ella was Cinderella and Crystal was Belle

They got the full package with dress and pictures. Crystal's Fairy Godmother in Training came to get her

Mikey sat and waited

Then Ella's Fairy Godmother in Training came and got her

Ella picked her hairstyle, the same as Crystals

I loved the way her hair had so much gel that it stuck straight out

nail polish

make-up

more hair spray

And Crystal is transformed into Belle

Ella has become Cinderella

I have to say that when this was first discussed I was really against it. I had many arguments. It's a waste of time, waste of money, it's hot that will be torture on them. I didn't pay for it and Jen didn't pay for it. Their aunt gave the kids $500 for this and Mikey to do the pirate league. It was an incredible amount of time that could have been spent on rides or shows . When I saw how beautiful my girls were and how happy they were I was really glad they did it.

Up next Mikey becomes a Pirate.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #26
Lesprivate
DIS Veteran

GPS on Disney property just doesn't work. The girls did look beautiful even in the heat.

DVC Owners - Saratoga Springs since 2006
AKL Kidani August 2013, CBR October 2012, OKW August 2012, May 2011 BLT,October 2010 BLT, August 2010 AKV, August 2009 SSR,May 2009 SSR, August 2008 VWL, August 2007 - POR and BCV, November 2006 - POFQ, August 2004 - ASSP, January 2001 - Offsite, December 1998 - Offsite, May 1997 - Offsite, June 1996 - Offsite, December 1995 - Offsite, June 1994 - Offsite, February 1989 - Offsite, April 1986 - Offsite, April 1985 - Offsite, December 1985 - Offsite, Numerous times as a child
Me , DH , DD , DGS Lucky , Spike Spanky :
Old 09-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #27
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

I know your fear of losing a boy to the elevator. My son did that once and he got off on the wrong floor. My Mom found him kicking on a door he thought was his. Either no one was in there, or they were scared to open the door.

The girls look beautiful! That was very nice of their Aunt. I'd want to do it at least once. Tried to get my son to do the Pirates league for MNSSHP once, but he wouldn't do it. He wanted to be some monster or something.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012

900 Miles, 5 Parks, 2 Resorts, 6 ADR's, and 3 days of Celebration!!! August 2012 TR I love SWW and SW Celebrations...does that mean I am a geek? A PTR of a SW family August 2012. Adventures of a DisneyWORLDholic!
That's it...we moved to Florida to be close to Mickey TR with daily TR's and other Florida Fun!
My DSD came to visit and didn't want to go to WDW with us??? My July 14-21st TR with Busch Gardens, Universal, and of course, WDW.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #28
tazdev3225

Quote:
GPS on Disney property just doesn't work. The girls did look beautiful even in the heat.
My GPS doesn't work in most places. It once told me to make a u-turn on I 95.

I couldn't believe what a transformation it was. Ella wilted by the end of the day. Crystal could have kept hers in for a few days but I think the gel was getting itchy by the end of the second day.

Quote:
I know your fear of losing a boy to the elevator. My son did that once and he got off on the wrong floor. My Mom found him kicking on a door he thought was his. Either no one was in there, or they were scared to open the door.

The girls look beautiful! That was very nice of their Aunt. I'd want to do it at least once. Tried to get my son to do the Pirates league for MNSSHP once, but he wouldn't do it. He wanted to be some monster or something.
Mikey loves elevators and pushing buttons. He got on an elevator at the hospital one time and the doors closed. Thankfully he couldn't reach the buttons for the floors and was still there,

Thank you. It was very generous of their aunt. Mikey wasn't to sure about the Pirate League til I found out about the Jake package.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #29
PrincessAlways
DIS Veteran

Wow.....what a treat for the girls!!! They look beautiful & they certainly enjoyed it!!!
POR, 2003 OKW,2004 Poly, 2005 SSR (June), Pop (Sept), CSR (Nov), 2006 OKW (May), Swan (Sept), OKW (Nov), 2007 Pop (Feb), OKW (June), CR (Sept), BWV (Nov), 2008 CSR (April), OKW (July), SSR (Dec)2009 Pop (March) OKW (May) BLT (Nov), 2010 BLT (May) AKL (Oct) 2011 SWAN (March) BLT (June) AKL (Nov) OKW (Nov) 2012 BWI (March) OKW (May) POR Royal (Oct) OKW (Nov) 2013 BWV (Apr) offsite (July) Kidani (Dec) 2014 AKL (April)
Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #30
tazdev3225

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessAlways View Post
Wow.....what a treat for the girls!!! They look beautiful & they certainly enjoyed it!!!
It really was a treat for the girls. Thanks they are always beautiful in my eyes but the transformation was WOW!!! I was really happy for Crystal. She gets bullied for some reason and has self esteem issues. This really gave her a huge boost especially all of the CM's calling her Princess.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: