Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #16
BensDaddy
Graduate of Goofy's Flight School

Bummer about the school. I'm of the opinion that travel is more educational than a day or two in the classroom...but my wife and I argue about that frequently. I'm glad to hear that most people think it will be a slow week. Fingers crossed. If we can get to CarsLand I'll be happy. World of Color would be cool, but not necessary. We saw Fantasmic at WDW so that's not essential either. I'm going to try really hard to do a little less "commando vacationing" this trip.

My next thought is logistics. We are flying in on Sunday night and staying at the Fairfield Main Gate. Then, Monday we check into Grand Californian. So at some point Monday morning I'll have to figure out how to move all of our luggage from the Fairfield to GC. I figure I'll send the wife and son by foot and I'll just take a taxi. (I'm not renting a car since we are staying at the resort all week)
Old 08-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
disneegrl4eva
now we just need a secret handshake or sign...
...because I'm special like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensDaddy View Post
We saw Fantasmic at WDW so that's not essential either.
My next thought is logistics. We are flying in on Sunday night and staying at the Fairfield Main Gate. Then, Monday we check into Grand Californian. So at some point Monday morning I'll have to figure out how to move all of our luggage from the Fairfield to GC. I figure I'll send the wife and son by foot and I'll just take a taxi. (I'm not renting a car since we are staying at the resort all week)
oh no no no no no...you cant compare our F! to wdw's F!..its a lot different trust me!! plus ours is TONS better

the move from Fairfield to GC is a good idea...taxi service over there wont take but a couple minutes...just go over there and check in all at once and then come back later for the key and your baggage
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #18
RedRosie
Mouseketeer

My family will be in DL the same week this year! We saw WOC at our 2010 visit and my kids (then 6 and 9) thought it was fine, but were not interested in seeing it at our 2011 visit. It was really hard to stand there for a long time prior to the show (we had picnic tickets) and during the show. DH and I had to hold up my DD, not on shoulders because that would block others' views, but high enough so she could see. It was hard! DH and I thought WOC was great, but it is not high on the list for the kids. I bet the park was pretty empty during that time so next time we'll take advantage of that.
RedRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
tanyaewa
Just can't get enough!

We will be there for a quick 2 day trip before going on a cruise. Hoping it will be relatively quiet . Just Cant miss the chance to see CarsLand!
bensDaddy.... IMO the WOC show is not a must do.
My boys who are 7 and 10 made me promise not to ever make them wait to see it again after last year. They just didn't see the value in the show after an hour wait.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
BensDaddy

Can't wait to hear about the cruise!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
BensDaddy

How about any can't miss restaurants for little guy? Blue Bayou?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #22
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensDaddy View Post
How about any can't miss restaurants for little guy? Blue Bayou?
At age six, my boys were much more interested in character meals than Blue Bayou, but, of course, every kid is different. My boys (age 11 and 12 now) still like Minnie's at the Plaza Inn for breakfast because there are so many characters there and it's the only character meal right in Disneyland. They have a soft spot though for Goofy's in the DLH and ask to go there every once in a while, especially when they are really hungry and want to experience a buffet.
longtimedisneylurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
Heymy
Mouseketeer

We went Sun-Thurs last year and it really was amazing. Yes the hours were short...but the crowds were so low that it wasn't a problem. We loved it so much, that we're doing it again this year with the extended family. We're calling it a family reunion. As for school...I'm actually having my girls do independent study. It worked well last year, they did all the work the week before (during Thanksgiving break) and then got to enjoy their vacation...and so did mom.

Not to miss restaurant for my kids is Goofy's Kitchen...they're talking about that just as much as the trip.

World of Color was ehhhhhh....definitely a long wait with little ones. They're glad they saw it, but don't have a desire to do it again. Now if we could do dessert seating for Fantasmic again, they'd be all over that.

I'm nervous that the word has got out that this is such a great week (we know 2 other families from school going)...but I think it'll be just fine. Have a wonderful time!

Heymy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #24
quatrom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymy View Post
We went Sun-Thurs last year and it really was amazing. Yes the hours were short...but the crowds were so low that it wasn't a problem. We loved it so much, that we're doing it again this year with the extended family. We're calling it a family reunion. As for school...I'm actually having my girls do independent study. It worked well last year, they did all the work the week before (during Thanksgiving break) and then got to enjoy their vacation...and so did mom.
How does the independent study work? We are new to the public school system (DS is in 5th) and planning on going that week also.
quatrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #25
quatrom
Earning My Ears

anyone?
quatrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #26
disneegrl4eva
now we just need a secret handshake or sign...
...because I'm special like that

Im not sure if heymy meant that for their trip they were doing independent studies or if they are homeschooled....i didnt even know you could do independent studies temporarily unless it was due to illness or injury or disability issue....so Im assuming they are talking about homeschooling...
Old 09-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #27
jd4nati
Mouseketeer

Hello all! This is my first post on the Disneyland board. We like to go the week after Thanksgiving as well and it is always light on crowds. To answer the question regarding independent study, our public school district offers an independent study contract when kids will be out of school for five consecutive days for any reason including vacations. Similar to a previous poster, we get the kids' work the week before the vacation and they complete it over Thanksgiving break. Our school encourages this because they still get funds from the state as if our kids were in class for the day.
jd4nati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #28
Heymy
Mouseketeer

My kids are in public school. In our district (as in many others) if your child is going to be out of school for 5 days or more you can "apply" for independent study. We write a "contact" with the teacher that the child, parent, teacher and principal have to sign. So last year my 1st grader had to do a book report and various math worksheets and keep up a travel journal. As long as the child isn't behind, its a win-win since the school gets paid for your child being in school during that time. Find out how it works for you (our guidelines are in the school handbook). Good luck!!!

Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #29
Heymy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4nati
Hello all! This is my first post on the Disneyland board. We like to go the week after Thanksgiving as well and it is always light on crowds. To answer the question regarding independent study, our public school district offers an independent study contract when kids will be out of school for five consecutive days for any reason including vacations. Similar to a previous poster, we get the kids' work the week before the vacation and they complete it over Thanksgiving break. Our school encourages this because they still get funds from the state as if our kids were in class for the day.
I started replying to the other post before I saw this. Double info.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #30
BensDaddy

Be there 3 weeks from today!! Well, technically we will be at Universal Studios 3 weeks from today and Disneyland 3 weeks from tomorrow. Little guy still doesn't know. Trying to decide when and how to tell him.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: