Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
maleficent, esq.
If you are not on a Disney Cruise you should be planning a Disney Cruise

Thank you

Thank you so much for all the info. I have a couple of questions if anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it. What time does the terminal actually open in Galveston? Which terminal is Disney going to use? Do the Porters get there before the terminal opens? We are driving down from Keller (near Fort Worth) the morning of the cruise. I am trying to figure out what time we need to leave. Any and all information would be very appreciated.

Best to All
Mal

maleficent, esq. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #17
eggroll
eggroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chee Chick

DH and I are still debating whether to drive in the night before or the morning of. I started a thread asking for feedback about a week ago and the majority of replies recommended to spend the night before. I am leaning that way and looking at hotels now.

I am torn between the Tremont House and the Hotel Galvez. I came across some websites that said that Hotel Galvez is really haunted. I'm worried that I will be up all night looking for ghosts and won't get a good night's sleep. But it looks so nice.
The treemont is a block or two from the terminal.
The hotel galvez is haunted but still cool, and I'll even call it the nicer of the two. I've stayed at both but I do like the galvez more.
As far as the hauntings, it's just kids laughing. Nothing like the shining. And apparently it's in the girls spa bathroom.
Thx teddy
eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
eggroll
eggroll

When I left the from Galveston the doors opened at 1045 am. This seems to really consistent.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #19
eggroll
eggroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleficent, esq.
Thank you so much for all the info. I have a couple of questions if anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it. What time does the terminal actually open in Galveston? Which terminal is Disney going to use? Do the Porters get there before the terminal opens? We are driving down from Keller (near Fort Worth) the morning of the cruise. I am trying to figure out what time we need to leave. Any and all information would be very appreciated.

Best to All
Mal
When I cruised from galveston, the doors opened at 1030-1045 am. This is rather consistent.
There are only two cruise terminals here, and they have the same entrance. We don't know if it's terminal one or two.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #20
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Thanks Gina. I'm wondering about hotels with shuttles too, and also if we take a shuttle from Houston to Galveston, and are there with no car, will we be able to get around town fairly easy? Or is it the kind of place you Really need a car?
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #21
Atomic
Earning My Ears

Arrow No Car in Galveston

If you stay at any of the above places an absent car will be no problem. Lots to do all over & "town" part of the island just isn't that big.

Lots of taxis, shuttles, bike rentals, horse carriages & even bike cabs when the boats are in.
Atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #22
eggroll
eggroll

Pleasure pier draws many people to Galveston. Both tourist and locals visit here.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #23
dbenlee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleficent, esq. View Post

Best to All
Mal
Like eggroll says, the terminal usually opens around 10:30. I think the porters start accepting luggage about 20 or 30 minutes before the terminal opens (not positive about that). It's my understanding that Disney will be using the same terminal that RCCL uses which is terminal 2. The OP listed several great places for cruise parking and my personal favorite is Galveston Park and Cruise, its literally right across the street from the terminal. You drop your luggage and family at the terminal, drive across the street and park, then walk right back across the street and into the terminal, takes less than 10 minutes.
June 2004 * Wilderness Lodge (sons first visit) --- June 2005 * Wilderness Lodge --- June 2006 * Beach Club Resort --- November 2006 * Beach Club Resort --- May/June 2007 * Yacht Club --- June 2008 Land & Sea * Animal Kingdom Lodge, Polynesian and Disney Wonder 3 nights --- December 5, 2008 * Beach Club Resort --- ]une 13, 2009 * Disney Magic 7 nights --- June 4 to 18, 2010 * Bay Lake Towers --- [COLOR="Red"]June 12 to 17, 2011 * Disney Dream --- December 16-20, 2011 * Bay Lake Towers --- May 31 to June 11 2012 * Aulani --- February 1-5, 2013 * Disney Magic --- June 15, 2013 * Disney Fantasy 7 night Eastern Caribbean --- November 24, 2013 * Disney Magic 5 night Western Caribbean --- June 10-14, 2014 * Aulani
Looking forward to many more with DW (Texas Disney Fan) and DS14!!

DISDad member #2

dbenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #24
Tinkerbell2B
Mouseketeer

Emerald by the Sea

When I cruised on Carnival Magic last March, I reserved a condo at Emerald by the Sea. It was amazing!! My condo was on the side of the building so I had a gulf and harbor view. I was able to see the Carnival Magic and an additional ship from the balcony. I loved it! The building itself it beautiful. It has a fabulous pool on the 6th floor that overlooks the gulf. I would recommend it to everyone heading to Galveston to get on the Magic!!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #25
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell2B View Post
When I cruised on Carnival Magic last March, I reserved a condo at Emerald by the Sea. It was amazing!! My condo was on the side of the building so I had a gulf and harbor view. I was able to see the Carnival Magic and an additional ship from the balcony. I loved it! The building itself it beautiful. It has a fabulous pool on the 6th floor that overlooks the gulf. I would recommend it to everyone heading to Galveston to get on the Magic!!

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll add it to the lodging list!

Looks like it's available through VRBO. The pictures look wonderful!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #26
nitrame
Earning My Ears

Looking for one way car rental are there any options from Houston to galveston?
nitrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #27
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrame View Post
Looking for one way car rental are there any options from Houston to galveston?

The only car rental agency left in Galveston after Ike is Enterprise, but I've heard varying degrees of success in regards to one-way rentals. Maybe it depends on how many cars they already have there in Galveston.

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental...ocationId=0618

The rental car situation seems like the biggest hassle for anyone flying in for a cruise, and for the life of me I can't figure out why the rental agencies haven't taken advantage of all the new cruise business out of Galveston and opened some new locations back up and make some money!!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #28
KatyInNeverland
Earning My Ears

I totally agree with Galvez over Treemont. Another valuable piece of advice: Leave earlier than you're planning to! Traffic onto the island can be a beast- especially on weekends and holidays. We live in the Houston area and are leaving the night before our cruise and staying in a hotel just in case.
It's not always horrendous... but my goodness... when it's bad it's BAD.
If at all possible, get there early and explore the island! There's so much to do and you'll be more relaxed knowing you're guaranteed to get there on time.
KatyInNeverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #29
alliesmommy
Just the two of us

Awesome list of information!

I agree with the recommendations about staying on the island if flying in the day before. It's a fun place, and if you're into history, its worth spending time touring the old Victorian mansions on the island.....most notably, Bishop's Palace and Moody Mansion. Very interesting tours.

We haven't been down since Ike, so I can't speak for the new Pleasure Pier, but Moody Gardens is a lot of fun. There's also a great little putt putt place.

We are driving down the morning of for our February cruise. It will be a LOOOONG 5 hour trip, but I'm hoping traffic won't be terrible since it's a Saturday.

Watch out for Houston traffic. It's awful and it can take a really long time to get anywhere during rush hour.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #30
Atomic
Earning My Ears

Arrow Putt Putt...

The putt putt place is an old school, amazing place. We go quite a lot. The best time is at night when everything is lit up. The rear course is totally under a canopy of thick trees & is like a jungle. Giant shells, a multi story castle, huge pirate ship, a giant snake, interesting holes.

When we go, we usually hear at least on retired RV type say its one of the best they've seen. & I assume they go to lots all over the country, because that's what I'd do if I were retired.

It's at 91st on Seawall. Across from Jimmy's, a great place to have drinks & eat. But it's for people with cars only... We ride bikes down that far, but I wouldn't walk with kids.
Atomic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: