Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #106
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
you can have astronomical expectations for Remy. We have dined there 4 times (3 dinners, 1 lunch). There are never many diners in there, they keep the numbers low. It is never even half occupied, if that, from my observations and they don't turn a table over for another seating. The food does not come off mass produced by a long shot.
I'm sure it's not, but it's still not fresh, and there's no way that the kind of talent in the kitchen or the kind of presentations necessary to get even one Michelin star--much less two or three--are going to appear on a cruise ship.

The definition of astronomical expectations may differ from person to person, of course.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #107
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

I work as a nurse so unless I bring my lunch I get cafeteria food. My hubby whom used to work for RCi has extreme standard. I am just thrilled when someone brigs food to me. I do like the buffets on the ship sometimes they have items that I do not like but there is always the fast food areas. Looking forward to going on the Dream very soon. The ice cream is very good.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #108
squirrel
DIS Veteran

The last time I was on DCL was back in 2000. The only thing I remember about the food was eating lunch at one of the sit down restaurants and ordering pasta with butter.

I was served pasta with butter, however it was cold (like from the fridge) so the server went to get me a new one. Returned with pasta with chili peppers (didn't even try that) and the server took it and returned with pasta and garlic butter. I managed to choke down a few bites, but was wondering how on earth can a cook not prepare pasta with butter. I so wanted to go down where I could see him making it and do it myself.

The dinners in the main dining rooms must have been good, I'm sure I would have remembered if they weren't.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #109
BibbidyBobbidyBoo

AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate

DIS Veteran

Not a super big foodie but do enjoy decent food at times. The food always seemed pretty good to me- most of the time... except it was kinda lacking on Fantasy this summer, and the service was as well. I think maybe they are stretching themselves thin in a myriad of ways with the new ships. IDK Stretching themselves thin with staff and so many people on the ships they are taking some shortcuts on food preparation and such? idk
2004 ASMU solo trip
2005 ASMO mom & kids trip (June-DD's birthday), ASSP mom & kids trip (Oct-MNSSHP)
2006 GF RPC & Disney "double scoop" cruise (family trip)
2008 Disneyland & EB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
2009 WDW @ FW & 7nt Western Cruise (family trip)
2010 DL (mom & kids road trip), WB TransAtlantic Cruise (family trip)
2011 DL & Wonder B2B repo & Alaska! (family trip), offsite WDW mom & kids trip
2012 DL Jan/Feb 2012 (w/friend), WDW/Fantasy 6/23/12 (family trip)
2013 Magic Galveston cruise (family trip), July DL (family trip)
2014 WB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
BibbidyBobbidyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #110
DreamGirl90
Mouseketeer

We've done several Disney cruises and as a PP pointed out, the best move in the MDRs is to always select one of the server's recommendations, provided it is something you can eat, not allergic or an aversion to it. He knows what is good at any particular time, as not everything is, as you can see from this thread.

In an ideal situation, everything on the menu would be great, but it isn't. We've seen tablemates select chicken or fish or steak because they know they like chicken or fish or steak, but if it isn't one of the items the server recommends that night, it turns out to be a bad choice. We learned our lesson after our first cruise and have taken our server's advice ever since with good results. No, it isn't gourmet cuisine, but it's been good. It would be great if DCL could find a way to bring all their offerings up to par, but since they've been getting by as is, I don't see that happening.
DreamGirl90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #111
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokelridesagain View Post
I'm sure it's not, but it's still not fresh, and there's no way that the kind of talent in the kitchen or the kind of presentations necessary to get even one Michelin star--much less two or three--are going to appear on a cruise ship.

The definition of astronomical expectations may differ from person to person, of course.
How is it not "fresh?" Surely they don't have to freeze everything.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #112
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I am confused by that, too. Not fresh meaning what? It is obviously prepared just before served and prepared to order particularly in Palo or Remy. Fresh foods come on the ship every time it returns to home port so perhaps more fresh at the beginning of the week than later? Not sure what else you'd like them to do...grow their own lettuce on board? Bring on the cows?

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW:All Star Sports Oct 2014 * Caribbean Beach Resort Oct 2014, Feb 2015 * Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #113
Tolson70
Mouseketeer

We have cruised the Magic 2x and Wonder once, along with RCCL and Carnivale. None of them provided amazing food. People who think they are going to be wowed with the food are setting themselves up for dissapointment.

Regardless of whether you eat in the MDR or Buffet, its all mass produced food. Fine dining experiences are different, food is fired as the order comes in, cruiselines, food are produced in mass. Quality goes out the window.

With that said, we have no complaints from the last cruise we were on, steaks were cooked to the temp we asked, it was hot, it was not bad by any means. It was not great but not horrible.
Disney Wonder - Bahammas January 2008
Carnival Festivale - Puerto Rico and St. Thomas - 1985
Tolson70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #114
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
At the kind of restaurants I would score 9.5-10 on a ten point scale, the fish you were eating was in the water yesterday, if not sooner. Serving anything frozen would be unthinkable.

I guarantee you that the oysters, escargot, elk, etc. that were served on Disney's Alaska cruise were delivered frozen to the ship. And honestly, by the end of a seven day cruise the produce is not exactly farm to table either.

To some extent this is unavoidable...I was just pointing out that I have no expectation of any food on the ship being on par with the best food I have ever eaten...or even that close to it.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #115
tahoe9813
Disney Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by shburks View Post
I am confused by that, too. Not fresh meaning what? It is obviously prepared just before served and prepared to order particularly in Palo or Remy. Fresh foods come on the ship every time it returns to home port so perhaps more fresh at the beginning of the week than later? Not sure what else you'd like them to do...grow their own lettuce on board? Bring on the cows?
It's not shown on the blueprints, but there is a cattle hold near the bow. The problem was that cows get seasick, so they stopped using it.
tahoe9813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #116
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

DH and I got off the Dream after a 5 night cruise and we enjoyed dinner every day. The scallops I had at the Enchanted Garden were as good as any I've ever had!

Bobbi
Old 09-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #117
twinstars
Mouseketeer

This may be interesting read given the topic here.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...ategory=Dining

If you look at the all time ratings, the Wonder does rank the lowest amongst the 4 Disney ships for dining.
twinstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #118
Clotho
Doting on Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstars View Post
This may be interesting read given the topic here.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...ategory=Dining

If you look at the all time ratings, the Wonder does rank the lowest amongst the 4 Disney ships for dining.
Thanks for the link! That is a good read.

BOARDWALK: Sept 11-Sept 18 2004
POLYNESIAN: Aug 30-Sept 10 2007
BOARDWALK: Nov 28-Dec 8 2008
DISNEY WONDER ALASKA: Aug 27-Sep 3 2012
BOARDWALK CLUB LEVEL: Aug 28-Sep 8 2014
-- Disneyland: Countless times, Good Neighbor Hotels

Clotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #119
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Nobody should be expecting the best food they've ever eaten on a Disney cruise. Probably not on any cruise except the supreme high end ones. But for the most part it isn't bad, and I love Palo and Remy.

One thing DCL sucks at is breakfast. They even make bad pancakes.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #120
flyinbrian
Earning My Ears

We were on the Wonder for the MR cruise this past February/March and have to agree the food wasn't the best. We had late seating so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or if mediocre food was consumed across both dinner seatings.

They do need to work on their breakfast. We usually go through the buffet line at Beach Blanket, but have had a sit-down meal for breakfast in the past. DW wasn't that impressed, but my DD and her friend (both 11 at the time) didn't really care one way or another on the food.
4 night Wonder Cruise 2010
Animal Kingdom Villas (Kilimanjaro Club Concierge) 2010
Maui 2010
Grand Californian 2010, 2009, 2008
Sheraton Hotel Disneyland 2008
Hilton Hotel Disneyland 2007
flyinbrian is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: