Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 02:45 AM   #31
aan1701
DIS Veteran

I don't care what a movie gets on Rotten Tomato's or how well it did at the box office. I thought Avatar sucked. I personally do not know one person who did like the movie. Same goes for the Avengers. I too thought that movie sucked and just like Avatar, I will not travel across the country to see it. I can say the same about HP. I am not a fan of HP either, but HP is %10000000 more interesting than Avatar. Like some have pointed out, it was all hype but when you look at it, it's no different than when the Rebels landed on Endor in Return of the Jedi. It was the big bad, technologically advanced people thinking they can over run the primaries. Been there done that enough. So WDI please come up with something original and not rip off of some other thing. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #32
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
Check my original comment. (Post #2)
I saw it..but figured I'd point out, specifically, why.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #33
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Avatar had a lot of box office dollars, but is nowhere near the obsession HP is. People play quidditch, for crying out loud.

In addition to a lack of concept art I've heard there are 'creative differences' between imagineering and Cameron.
The thing is: I've heard about the same creative differences. But can't find a quote, source, or even anonymous posting from someone "in the know" indicating it.

Just the actual words.

Which makes me wonder if it's true, or if it's unfounded internet speculation that's getting printed in various places.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #34
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
It didn't just have "a lot of box office dollars", it's the #1 grossing film of all time. By a wide margin. (Not adjusted for inflation, of course.)
And to be objective, the gross is absolutely meaningless because of inlfation. Gone With The Wind is still the biggest box office success in film history (counted by the meaningful metric of the number of tickets sold) by a massive margin - a particularly impressive feat given it is not a franchise like Harry Potter or Star Wars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSEVyzKmlyU

As for the yet to show anything new Avatar "franchise", it really remains to be seen whether it has the legs of the successful ones mentioned above. I and many others are skepitical that the characters and backstories in Avatar are robust enough to maintain ongoing, passionate interest.
CandyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #35
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMandy View Post
And to be objective, the gross is absolutely meaningless because of inlfation.
"Absolutely meaningless"?

If you want to adjust for inflation, Avatar is #14 all time, ahead of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park, Dark Knight, Avengers, Ghostbusters, POTC, Lord of the Rings, Transformers and every Disney / Pixar animated film from the last 50 years.

Quote:
As for the yet to show anything new Avatar "franchise", it really remains to be seen whether it has the legs of the successful ones mentioned above. I and many others are skepitical that the characters and backstories in Avatar are robust enough to maintain ongoing, passionate interest.
I agree...it's a risk. But it's also a risk with tremendous upside if done correctly. James Cameron has a virtually flawless track record in terms of the pictures he has directed. Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies, Titanic, Avatar. All critical and commercial successes. If there's a guy to gamble on, he's a pretty good choice.

Overall, I think the reaction from the Disney fan community may speak to the value Disney sees in Avatar. Building attractions themed to Wall-E, Incredibles, Tron, princesses & pirates is just more of the same-ole, same-ole. They aren't reaching a new audience by leveraging those internal IPs.

Judging by many forum posts, there is a low intersection between Disney fans and Avatar fans. No great surprise. But that alone doesn't make Avatar / Cameron a bad move.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #36
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

♫ Hallelujah ♫

♫ Hallelujah ♫

♫ Hal-le-lu-jah !!! ♫
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #37
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz

But that alone doesn't make Avatar / Cameron a bad move.
What makes it a bad movie is the story, or the lack of one. Same ole, same ole. I will not argue that Cameron is a excellent filmmaker, he is, just had a three hour dud with this. That's all. If WDI really wants to look into a franchise with legs, (sorry Star Wars fans) hit up Paramount to do a whole area with Star Trek. That has been around for almost 45 years and still going strong. I would fly cross country for that.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.

Last edited by aan1701; 09-06-2012 at 03:26 PM.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #38
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

hmmmmm

Middle Earth would make a much better land

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #39
MJMcBride

its too bad narnia didnt do that well

that would have made a nice Beastly Kingdom

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #40
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
hmmmmm

Middle Earth would make a much better land
I would love, love, love that, but somehow I don't think it would have the overall appeal or longevity of Star Wars. People talked about SW in the 70s and still watched it and talked about it and passed it onto their kids until they came out with the prequels ... and it's still going. Plus Disney already has a relationship of some kind there. They spent the money/effort to redo Star Tours and they have Star Wars weekends so they've gotta see value in that franchise.

While I think Star Trek has a diehard cult-like following, I don't think it has the more general appeal of SW. Kids today are enjoying SW, but I don't a single kids who has even heard of ST. Incidentally, I'm not even a SW fan. LOL
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #41
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Maybe the creative differences are just being assumed because James Cameron and Disney are both known for "my way or the highway." An impasse should have been expected from day 1.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #42
MJMcBride

I disagree about LOTR movies. They have more staying power than Avatar

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #43
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
I disagree about LOTR movies. They have more staying power than Avatar
I agree with that but I just don't see LOTR at Disney or as a theme park attraction in general. I still think Star Wars is their best bet (and maybe even long overdue).
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #44
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

Ranks #1 on all time money list

Ranks #14 all time when adjusted for inflation behind the following:

*Gone With the Wind
*Star Wars
*Sound of Music
*ET
*Titanic
*The 10 Commandments
*JAWS
*Dr Zhivago
*The Exorcist
*Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
*101 Dalmations
*The Empire Strikes Back
*Ben-Hur

Potter doesn't even show up until #68 with The Sorcerer's Stone. We all know how well that one is doing for Universal. Avatar was one "hit" movie without a built-in fan base to rely on. There is nothing else. People went to see it for it's 3-D and IMAX aspect.

If you break down Avatar more closely it works out something like this:

-$1.147 billion from 3D
-$563 million from 2D
-$134 million from IMAX

It basically works out that Avatar sold about half as many tickets as Titanic did. Titanic (and every movie ahead of Avatar on the list) earned it's money the old school way...no 3D, no IMAX....just old fashioned 2D and a good, interesting story. Disney is crazy to think that there are THAT many people who are interested in an Avatar land. It would end up being a "sinking ship"

I am sure they aren't happy that Universal is opening Transformers (a current hot commodity) next summer (to beat the opening of the kiddie coaster in the FLE) or the Potter Phase 2 to open in 2015. Those two attractions will attract more "new" customers than Disney's old faithful. It will actually draw "their" visitors away just like Potter has already done. If they think Avatar is the answer then they are further gone than I thought.

Last edited by Mad Hattered; 09-07-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Mad Hattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #45
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hattered View Post
Potter doesn't even show up until #68 with The Sorcerer's Stone. We all know how well that one is doing for Universal. Avatar was one "hit" movie without a built-in fan base to rely on. There is nothing else. People went to see it for it's 3-D and IMAX aspect.
And apparently they liked it, as evidenced by the high Rotten Tomatoes figures from both critics and the public.

Not sure I really see the point here. Avatar doesn't have the fan base of Harry Potter and yet it sold far more tickets at the box office. I won't claim that Avatar is a better property than HP but clearly it has its fans. And that interest can only be re-kindled with sequels on the way.

Quote:
It will actually draw "their" visitors away just like Potter has already done.
WWoHP has been a boon for Universal but it hasn't drawn anything away from Disney. The WDW parks' attendance was up about 1% in 2011.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: