Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
cfrith5
Mouseketeer

White Sands National Park?

I should have looked into it more before hand, but just realized White Sands is just an hour from Las Cruces. We're driving from Austin to San Diego next week and already booked our hotel in Las Cruces. It's 9 hours from Austin to LC. It's 9 hours and 30 mins. to White Sands. I'm driving alone with my 3 kids and trying to decide if I will be too tired to add WS on to our trip. Does anyone know how long it takes to "do" WS? Are my kids going to miss out if I don't buy those sleds? LOL

So, after all that driving, then I'd have to drive another hour back to Las Cruces to our hotel. THoughts?
cfrith5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
NMDisneyFan
Earning My Ears

White Sands

White Sands can be done in a couple hours. I'm not sure if the visitor's center still lets you rent sleds anymore. If not, take some cardboard with you on the trip and use that as a sled.
NMDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Zerosinthecloset
DIS Veteran

If you do make the trip to the dunes, don't forget the sunscreen. The sun reflecting off all that white sand is treacherous.

You can make your own sand board like I did some 45 years ago. I took a piece of plywood about 1.5' by 3' and rounded off the edges then put it in the tub weighted down with my dad's heavy tool box...never heard the end of that. Then about 10 coats of paste wax and you're all set.
Zerosinthecloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Little c Travel
Earning My Ears

White Sands NM is really, really cool and I highly recommend going. That said, 2 hours should be more than enough time. You will spend 30 minutes or so in the visitor center, hike around on the dunes for 45 minutes and drive through the park. I would stay in Las Cruces, there is nothing in Alamogordo.
Little c Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
princesskayla
***This space reserved for a tag***

Yes, stop at White Sands. I grew up in New Mexico and have very fond memories of our trips to White Sands. I wouldn't worry to much about the sleds. We never had them and still had a blast. One year we brought blow up pool loungers. That was fun.

First 1/2 Marathon-Disneyland-Sept 2013*Pixar 7 day cruise - Oct 2012*Dream Double Dip - May 2012*24 Hours,4 Parks - Leap Year 2012 -WDW*DL -HoJo: Dec 2011*First Disney Cruise and First Family trip to Disney Land: Nov 2011*Solo trip to DL: Oct 2011*Last trip before the Wild Fontier, Bonnet Creek: May 2011 * Bonnet Creek - Nov 2010 * AKL/WL CL - Sept 2010 * Christmas Present for the family at Bonnet Creek - Dec 14-18, 2009 * Last Minute trip to Bonnet Creek - May 2009 * Suprise trip for Mom's 50th B-Day - Oct 2008 KOTS * WL with Free Dining - Sept 2008 * AWHONN convention + DISNEYLAND - June 2008 * ASMo and WL with Free Dining - Sept 2007 - The beginning of the obsession
princesskayla is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: