Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #91
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

I gotta say....food is so subjective. We have cruised DCL 27 times and maybe had one meal that was terrible. I am not a food snob nor do I eat fast food very often but I find nothing wrong with the meals on DCL.

Heck, if I am not shopping for it, prepping it, cooking it and cleaning it up I am a happy woman.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Last edited by mmouse37; 09-05-2012 at 02:54 PM.
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #92
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstars View Post
My friend got a small bottle of tobasco each meal....
They woudn't even give us Tabasco. Although I don't really count Tabasco.

Goofy's on the Wonder will make the sandwiches for you. I've asked them to make them without mayonnaise. It just takes longer, so if you were looking for something quick you're out of luck.

And DCL still has the best chicken fingers. I don't touch the burgers.

As far as the OP's statements, she appears to be saying that every single meal was terrible. That hasn't been my experience, although it's still cruise food.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 09-05-2012 at 02:56 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #93
Addicted to Dopey
Newt's Posse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
It's a little ironic. Just off the fantasy and I surprisingly enjoyed the MDR food a little better than I expected. Granted there are hits and missed I course. The presentation of most dishes is pretty nice actually. Our server made good recommendations and seemed to steer us toward the better items even gently telling us if our initial choice was 'questionable' such as too dry. He did know his food. If we did stray, he wound up bringing his recommendation as well and it was always better

My ideal DCL dining experience would be Remy / Palo exclusively which we did on our Dream 3 night getaway. That was NICE.
Who was your server if you don't mind me asking? we are going on the fantasy in a few months
Addicted to Dopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #94
Clotho
Doting on Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
It's a little ironic. Just off the fantasy and I surprisingly enjoyed the MDR food a little better than I expected. Granted there are hits and missed I course. The presentation of most dishes is pretty nice actually. Our server made good recommendations and seemed to steer us toward the better items even gently telling us if our initial choice was 'questionable' such as too dry. He did know his food. If we did stray, he wound up bringing his recommendation as well and it was always better

My ideal DCL dining experience would be Remy / Palo exclusively which we did on our Dream 3 night getaway. That was NICE.
Our server also steered us away when we were going to order something he felt was not up to snuff. We appreciated that.

And the presentation was ALWAYS beautiful! I was really pleased to see such lovely plating. And Palo especially...the breakfast buffet...I was floored by how fresh and gorgeous everything was. The freshness particularly is why it was one of our favorite meals of the entire cruise.

BOARDWALK: Sept 11-Sept 18 2004
POLYNESIAN: Aug 30-Sept 10 2007
BOARDWALK: Nov 28-Dec 8 2008
DISNEY WONDER ALASKA: Aug 27-Sep 3 2012
BOARDWALK CLUB LEVEL: Aug 28-Sep 8 2014
-- Disneyland: Countless times, Good Neighbor Hotels

Clotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #95
DCL Repeaters
DCL addicts

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
I gotta say....food is so subjective. We have cruised DCL 27 times and maybe had one meal that was terrible. I am not a food snob nor do I eat fast food very often but I find nothing wrong with the meals on DCL.

Heck, if I am not shopping for it, prepping it, cooking it and cleaning it up I am a happy woman.

MJ
My thoughts exactly!!!
DCL Repeaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #96
damiel
DIS Veteran

Shay, I guess I didn't have the same experience as you because I gained 8 pounds!

I have cruised enough to know that I am not going to get an ElGaucho experience. I never ate anything off of Deck 10, not even an ice cream cone. (My MIL ate 8 in one day!)

I hate buffets, can't stand eating off of a tray, reminds me of my college cafeteria days. That being said if I had to eat a buffet meal it was at Parrot Cay. Lunch and breakfat at Tritons were better in my opinion.

We ordered the much raved about cheese tray from room servivce and it was served with saltine crackers - I kid you not!

We gave up on Palo a few cruises ago. I never felt like to upcharge was worth what I was getting in return.

Our server told us every night what dish to avoid and why. He was spot on every time. Eli, my 15 yo DS went against his suggestions twice and was sorry both times. BUT both times our server had a back up meal he thought Eli would enjoy waiting. The cold fruit soups tasted like flavored milk. So I guess I have learned to avoid anything not main stream because I will be disapointed.

We have cruised DCL, NCL, HA and PCL and have never felt like the food was all that great. We keep going back to DCL because there isn't another cruise line where you go away feeling like you know the staff and they know you. Honestly I don't remember being called by my name on any other cruise line. AND where else can you dress up like a pirate?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #97
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted to Dopey

Who was your server if you don't mind me asking? we are going on the fantasy in a few months
Our server was Ozen from Turkey. He has been with DCL many years from what he said. He was very polite and professional, always a smile. He was not the engaging type with the kids with magic tricks, puzzles or napkin hat making but he knew the food backward and forward.

I caution you that his asst server is apparently new, very clueless with a huge language barrier.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #98
arlenesp
Silly me, I thought paper was for the 1st
I need to get back to straightening. Yeah right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl73 View Post
I'm pretty picky with Barbeque so I didn't even bother with CC Barbeque, I had a burger instead and some sort of chicken.

And it was my daughter that had the Lobster on the Captains Gala menu, there is no way I would have ordered it- I've seen too many photos to know that DCL doesn't do Lobster justice. I had some sort of chicken dish and it was my least favorite dish of the trip. I will definately skip that menu if I come across it in the future.
We were very lucky on the 2008 ebpc. Our lobsters were almost perfect. I never had a baked tail before and didn't hold any expectations. I thought the food was ok onthe Dream last Sept. Palo brunch is my fav tho
Sept 2004 First Wonder cruise with Hurricane Jeanne,Jan 2005 Wonder,Sept 2005 Wonder, Dec 2006 Wonder, Capt Jacks EB PC Repo Aug 08, Sept 25 2011 Dream, Sept 19 2014 3 day, July 14 2014 Cruising with the Pirates to Alaska
arlenesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #99
Clotho
Doting on Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by damiel View Post
Shay, I guess I didn't have the same experience as you because I gained 8 pounds!
LOL Hubby gained 5. I maintained. I think it was the drinking more than the eating. LOL

Quote:
We ordered the much raved about cheese tray from room service and it was served with saltine crackers - I kid you not!
Yeah, I kept a close eye on that in previous discussions, since I love cheese, and just ended up avoiding it. Bummer, man! We did get an amazing cheese plate at The Empress in Victoria--5 offerings, all local cheeses along with candied walnuts, dried currants, strawberries, grapes, and an apricot compote. And it was not too large or too small portions. YUM!

Quote:
We gave up on Palo a few cruises ago. I never felt like to upcharge was worth what I was getting in return.
Yes, this was our conclusion. The buffet was fantastic and worth the upcharge, but I never eat enough at a buffet to justify the cost and this was no exception. Though I did get the Dungeness crab I was craving.

Quote:
Our server told us every night what dish to avoid and why. He was spot on every time. Eli, my 15 yo DS went against his suggestions twice and was sorry both times. BUT both times our server had a back up meal he thought Eli would enjoy waiting.
I will pay much closer attention next time to the recommendations. I just thought it was our server expressing his personal tastes, and it didn't occur to me it had to do with him saying "The other stuff isn't good at all, so eat this."

Quote:
We have cruised DCL, NCL, HA and PCL and have never felt like the food was all that great. We keep going back to DCL because there isn't another cruise line where you go away feeling like you know the staff and they know you. Honestly I don't remember being called by my name on any other cruise line. AND where else can you dress up like a pirate?
No argument from me that the staff was stellar (and ARRRR! We loved dressing up as pirates, and seeing all the other adults and wee ones playing along!). We were really made to feel special. To be able to do that when there are hundreds of people on board, to learn your name and to endeavor to make you feel seen and heard at all times...that is where Disney excels and why we really hoped that our dining experience was a fluke and not a general practice. We really want to cruise with Disney again sometime.

BOARDWALK: Sept 11-Sept 18 2004
POLYNESIAN: Aug 30-Sept 10 2007
BOARDWALK: Nov 28-Dec 8 2008
DISNEY WONDER ALASKA: Aug 27-Sep 3 2012
BOARDWALK CLUB LEVEL: Aug 28-Sep 8 2014
-- Disneyland: Countless times, Good Neighbor Hotels

Clotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #100
TnRobin
My body may be back in Nashville, but my mind is still on vacation.
Bob Villa, build me a bathroom in the attic!

DISboards Moderator

Ladies and gentlemen

In the words of Thumper - If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.

People are allowed to not like the same things that you like. You have no right to attack them for not having your same taste.

TnRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #101
Luv_Tink
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
We had the most awful lukewarm burger on our first try on deck, so we thought it would be a safe bet to get the pizza which is cooked right there on the spot. *gong* Wrong. It was tiny, flavorless, and get this...they used a "butter spray" from an aerosol can (think spray paint) over the top as a "finish" on some of them. It passes for food just barely. After that I only went to Goofy's Galley for wraps and sandwiches (wraps were better, IMO) and fruit if we needed an "off schedule" meal. Hubby got the pizza a couple times more in desperation, since most every sandwich option at Goofy's has tomato on it (he might as well be allergic--any taste or smell of tomato can ruin a sandwich). *shrug*
Even my pizza loving 7-year old did not like the pizza on the Wonder last week. She ended up eating a lot of chicken fingers and hot dogs.

We had many of the same thoughts about the food on the Wonder last week. Bland, luke warm, etc... One of our table mates even had a dish one evening that she described as tasting like feet! She sent it back and got something else. I will say that our severs were great and even admitted towards the last night that they know the food is not the best in the cruise industry. If I'm not mistaken, I thought the comment cards had separate sections for food quality and service. I distinctly remember marking food quality down but service high since we had an incredible team.

Regardless of the food quality, we will cruise DCL again. With young kids, it really is the best cruise line in the industry and you can't beat the entertainment. DH and I have also cruised NCL and RCCL and of the two we would definitely cruise RCCL again, but probably not with the kids. The food quality was better than DCL in my mind, but we did note that the children's activities and programming were lacking.

Previous Trips: 2000 Honeymoon at WDW Polynesian & Disney Wonder; 2003 Wilderness Lodge; 2004 Christmas at AKL & GF; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2006 Disneyland; 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska

In the Works: Christmas in the FW Cabins! Dec 13-26
Luv_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #102
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

The point is--at least according to the common perception here (and seemingly confirmed by the service staff on the ships)--the servers are 'marked down' if you don't give the food excellent ratings, despite the fact that there is a separate section for service.

Last time I gave the food the 2 of 5 stars that it deserved and wrote a comment clearly indicating that I wasn't blaming the servers (or even the people cooking the food, for the most part) for DCL's poor food product...I don't know what I'll do the next time.

As for the comment about astronomical expectations...no. I expect banquet food...but there is a difference between good mass produced food and bad mass produced food. It is possible to serve a decent T bone steak medium rare, even if you're making 300 of them. My expectations are a little higher for Remy, but I'm certainly not going in there expecting Per Se or Alinea.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #103
FJS961
DIS Veteran

you can have astronomical expectations for Remy. We have dined there 4 times (3 dinners, 1 lunch). There are never many diners in there, they keep the numbers low. It is never even half occupied, if that, from my observations and they don't turn a table over for another seating. The food does not come off mass produced by a long shot.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #104
dclcruiser88
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokelridesagain View Post
The point is--at least according to the common perception here (and seemingly confirmed by the service staff on the ships)--the servers are 'marked down' if you don't give the food excellent ratings, despite the fact that there is a separate section for service.

Last time I gave the food the 2 of 5 stars that it deserved and wrote a comment clearly indicating that I wasn't blaming the servers (or even the people cooking the food, for the most part) for DCL's poor food product...I don't know what I'll do the next time.

As for the comment about astronomical expectations...no. I expect banquet food...but there is a difference between good mass produced food and bad mass produced food. It is possible to serve a decent T bone steak medium rare, even if you're making 300 of them. My expectations are a little higher for Remy, but I'm certainly not going in there expecting Per Se or Alinea.
Is there a section on the comment card to add additional comments?
I would guess that the chef's cook or partially cook the food in advance, then the cooks warm them up again, and from the sounds of it their ability to do so without cremating them, or spoiling them is lacking?
It's not uncommon to precook or partially cook food when serving to many people, and even only having electric as a cooking source over gas, it should still be possible right?
I say get Gordon Ramsey in there to sort it out! (but I guess he isn't so "Disney" with his language!)
dclcruiser88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #105
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclcruiser88 View Post
Is there a section on the comment card to add additional comments?
I would guess that the chef's cook or partially cook the food in advance, then the cooks warm them up again, and from the sounds of it their ability to do so without cremating them, or spoiling them is lacking?
It's not uncommon to precook or partially cook food when serving to many people, and even only having electric as a cooking source over gas, it should still be possible right?
There is a section for additional comments...but if memory serves it's about four lines long.

Overcooking and moisture content of meats is an issue, and probably one they could do something about with additional training.

But none of that would change the fact that management buys a lot of low quality frozen product--it's really a garbage in, garbage out kind of scenario.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: