Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
jnbishop
Mouseketeer

Strollers for older kids?

Hi everyone -

We'll be heading to WDW in less than six weeks now... Can't wait!

At time of travel, our kids will be ages: 8, 7, 4, 12 months and 4 months old...

Of course, the two babies will be in strollers or carriers.

I'm thinking the 4 year old will be, too...

But, what about the two oldest kids? They are usually troopers but I fear they will tire easily. And I KNOW it's a ton of walking!

We have three very good strollers - a double, a single with a "stand" on the back and a nice umbrella one. If finagled right, all 5 kids could get a "ride". Is it crazy to think about a 7 and 8 year old on a stroller? What do you think?

Thanks!
jnbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

How many adults do you have going with you? You list 3 strollers, so I'm assuming you have 3 adults.

A dedicated double stroller for the 4 month old and 12 month old, definitely. Will they nap in the stroller?

Then an umbrella stroller for the 4 yr old, with the others taking a turn in there if they really need a break.

If you are using WDW transportation, you are going to have to empty out all the strollers, fold them, and manage the kids for every bus ride. There's no guarantee that all or any of you would even get a seat.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

Every family is different, but if our family were in your shoes, we'd take a good double stroller and two carriers/slings for the babies. Sometimes the babies would ride in the stroller. When they were in slings, the stroller would be available, and the 4 year old would be able to ride.

I might consider allowing the 7 year old to ride when we were leaving the parks after fireworks and the crowds were really thick, just for the ease of not losing him. The way we tour, if the 7 and 8 year olds are too tired to walk, then we need to go back to the hotel and rest for a while.

Part of the reason I don't have older ones in strollers is that I don't want to push them. A stroller with even an average sized 4 and 7 year old in it is going to be really heavy and hard to push. If you're wearing a baby at the same time, that's a lot of work. And if you gave birth to that 4 month old, then it's really getting difficult (although with a 4 month old and 12 month old, I realize you probably didn't birth at least one of them). Of course, you didn't mention how many people are going and who's available to push. With us, it's just me and DH, and he has a bad back. He voluntarily takes the stroller and pushes because he thinks he "should," but it makes him wince in pain, so I always take it from him.
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

I wouldn't think your 7 and 8 year olds would need strollers. My boys were 6, 4 and 2 when we were there last (the youngest 2 were both close to their next birthdays at the time, so almost 3 and 5). The little guy did get tired toward the end of each day and my husband and I took turns carrying him a little when he would whine. But all in all, I preferred to be stroller free and the kids were troopers. Since you've already got 2 that need to be in strollers anyway, and one that might be, if it were me, I'd try without for the other 2. 5 in strollers is a lot of cargo for you to push around and store and get them in and out of.

I like the idea of an umbrella for the 4 yo that you can let the other 2 take a turn in if they get really tired.

We were told we would for sure need one for the youngest 2 and maybe even the oldest but decided not to get one and see what happens (fully expecting to have to go back for one). We made it the whole week with no stroller!

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
kohlby
DIS Veteran

Though some families do like strollers for kids 7 and 8, many do not. Since you're already needing 3 strollers, I would not take one. For my kids 5 is when we stop using strollers at Disney. Another idea is a baby carrier of some sort. We always took just a single stroller when we had a baby and a 3 year old. The baby would be in the sling and the 3 year old in the stroller. (If you have a baby that will only nap lying down, then your 4 year old can walk during that time). That would reduce your stroller need down to just two.

*My oldest tired quite easily normally. He would complain about any walking. The plan was to get him into shape before Disney but we had a record cold winter and were not able to do that. (Winter of 2010). We did 7 different parks in 8 days with one break day in the middle. We went at a pretty fast pace - and he held up great at 6.5 years old. Taking a break in our stroller wasn't an option - we had a single that was for under 50 lbs and he was over. Plus, the 3 year old used it while the 11 month old was in the sling. We weren't so sure due to how he normally complained, but it was not an issue at Disney. I think it helped that we told the kids we would stay in the parks until someone acted like it was time to leave. It was our 3 year old who decided that during that trip - and she still always made it to at least 5pm, sometimes 8pm.
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

I would bring one double. I would have the two older children walk and use the stroller primarily for the two babies or for the 4 year old and the 12 month old. I would keep the 4 month old in a carrier.

WDW is a lot of walking but you just remember to slow it down, take some breaks in an air conditioned attraction, sit on a bench with an ice cream, go back to the room for a nap and/or swim. We brought my 6.5 year old nephew in June a few years ago. We went 8 days. He did fine. He's not an active child and likes to play video games and lives on junk food. When he got tired we just slowed down for a while.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

7 and 8 year olds don't need strollers. Sometimes parents here decide to get one for them as they are wanted. But without any medical or emotional concerns - they are never needed. And with the rest of your brood and that many strollers - I would certainly not worry about another one.

Just did WDW for a huge family trip in January - we had kids 10,9,8,8 and 7. My dd is one of the 8 year olds and tends to be lazy and whiny - but was a champ and not one peep the whole time. Did their legs get tired? SURE - OF COURSE! So did the adults' legs. But nothing we couldn't muscle through or just sit for a show for 1/2 hour to get a quick rest in.

My 9 year old pushed his grandma in her wheelchair almost the entire trip. At that age truly that's what they should be doing. Maybe enlist your two older ones to help with pushing of the younger siblings.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
amylynne01
DIS Veteran

Double stroller with a baby carrier (wrap, sling, Ergo, Beco, etc). Put the babies in the stroller. If the 4 yr old gets tired, baby wear one of the babies, and the 4 yr old gets a seat. If the 7 or 8 yr old gets tired, stop, grab a snack, rest, and head out. If they're really tired, it's time to head back to the room.

FTR, we're going in January with kids who will be 5, 3.5, and 9 months. We're doing exactly what I recommended. My 3 yr old is small and doesn't have her sister's stamina. My 4 yr old has so.much.energy - it's crazy. But if she gets tired, my DS goes in the Ergo, and everyone has a seat.

ETA: I also have no desire to push around 2 strollers for a week. One is already a pain.
12/2011 SSR with no kids for our 5yr anniversary
1/2013 BLT for our first trip as a family of 5
8/2015 FW? Family reunion with my parents, sisters, and kids
12/2016 Poly? Celebrating our 10yr anniversary with our kids
amylynne01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
jnbishop
Mouseketeer

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your insight on this... Last time we came to WDW was almost 3 years ago.... We only had three kids then - all ages 5 and under - so I know this trip will be way different. I am just trying to think ahead for all the walking, etc. But I agree - the fewer the strollers - the better. We will be traveling with another (childless) couple - so they'll be able to help some. And yes, we have children by both birth and adoption. :-) I like the idea of switching the baby in and out of the stroller... Both of our babes can and will nap in the stroller... The 12 month old will be WAY too big for any type of a carrier... The 4 month old will be okay in one for a bit - but he's big too - so I won't be able to carry him long. Regardless, that will give us some flexibility. Again, thanks so much!!!

blessings,
nicole
Old 09-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Even if you do not want to use carriers a lot (my babies did not do carriers) I think I would still just bring the one double. By 5, my DS had given a stroller up completely at WDW, though I have NO trouble with a child that still needs one. I bet the 4 year old is going to want to walk a lot and when he does need to ride, the infant can be carried for a bit. You might want to consider looking into other carriers and wraps. I know little about them as I never found the key to successful wearing but many people on here carry much older, and bigger babies and it would be very nice to have that option and free hands!
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
amylynne01
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnbishop View Post
The 12 month old will be WAY too big for any type of a carrier... The 4 month old will be okay in one for a bit - but he's big too - so I won't be able to carry him long.
If you get something like an Ergo, Beco, or Boba, you can use it for a long time! I can easily wear my 30lb 3 yr old for a couple of hrs. My 4.5 month old is 14lbs, and I wore him all day in an Ergo yesterday. So don't totally rule out baby wearing as long as you're not using a Baby Bjorn or something similar (those will cause pain and discomfort after a very short time).
Old 09-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
jnbishop
Mouseketeer

baby carrier...

All I have right now is a baby bjorn. :-/ I bought it for the sole purpose of using it at WDW. I've tried to carry the 3 month old in it just to go around the block... He weighs 16+ pounds - and it isn't very comfortable. I don't see how I could take a whole day like that. I'll have to look into the other carriers. One of my friends has an ergo I can borrow. But then the baby always has to face you? Is that kinda weird?

Thanks!
nicole
Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #13
amylynne01
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnbishop View Post
But then the baby always has to face you? Is that kinda weird?
I actually prefer it that way! My guy likes to be snuggled up with me, and he can see out the sides easily. It's hard to find a good carrier that allows a forward facing carry because the forward facing carry puts a lot of pressure on the soft pelvic bones. I can do it in my Moby wrap, but it's not the most comfortable for either of us. You can carry on your back with the Ergo, but the baby has to be older, say 6-8 months with good head control.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #14
Emteach
DIS Veteran

We just got back from Disney and brought an umbrella stroller for my brother who was 6. It was more for the evenings when we were at the parks until 9-10 + at night. The one night we went to Fantasmic and decided not to bring the stroller, well my brother was out cold (wouldnt wake up) so we had to carry him through the park, on the bus and through our resort. Of course he woke up as soon as we lied him down. lol.
I think it is personal choice. I would think your 8 year old should be fine since there are so many opportunities to take a break. The 7 year old might get a little tired, esp. toward the end of the day so I agree with a double and have carries just in case. We also found (if we brought during the day) that we left in one location in close proximity to the rides.

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Emteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
Ccann
Mouseketeer

The first time we went my kids were 4yrs and 18months. We took a single stroller (more like a umbrella stroller with higher handles and a net in the bottom)which helped through the airport. But at Disney it was great the 18mo old would sleep when he was tired. But our 4year old was a trooper although after the first day we started to go back to the resort in the mid afternoon. It was great and a smart idea. It gave us a break from the heat but we were able to experience day and night time at the parks verses just day. Took about 30 minutes to get back another hour for napping and another 30 to come back that 2 hours helped a lot. There were times we're I went back with the baby while my husband stayed with our daughter and we just met back up for our dinner reservations.

We are going back this year my daughter now 6 and son 3.5 I am still in limbo with this trip, but I'll probably bring one just because I do not want to carry a sleeping child through the park.

You have your hands full with the two babies, but I really think the older ones will be fine. Plus if you go back in the middle of the day for a rest then that too will help the older ones. It worked out great because I was able to feed and put fresh dry clothes on my baby the first time. It's hot and sweaty and the strollers add to that. (depending on when you go for us it was August)

It took me a whole day to figure out what we needed to do. So worst case if you only bring the strollers for the babies and you need something for the older children the 4 and 7,8 then they do have strollers to rent. Just be careful if it is busy when you go then you have to be good moving in and out of people which is another issue.

Best of luck planning
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: