Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyGoofy View Post
So you are going to be about ten miles from me but you will have a very busy schedule. Figures. One of these days.

Your mom is very pretty and has a face that looks like she has your disposition. That is a good thing btw.

SG
I felt bad we couldn't stop to see you. I wanted to stop and see one of Jacob's old teachers, but Jonas always feels like we have too much planned.

My Mom is a lot like me, sometimes she is a little too laid back. Don't hear from her for weeks and then she thinks you are crazy for wondering about her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Coming along for the ride. I Star Wars.
Thanks for joining. I remember reading one of your TR's a few years ago and I already subscribed to you latest PTR. As a Star Wars fan, you will love the last few days of this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKeys View Post
Looking forward to your TR!

I am such a lover of Boxers! Bubblegum is so cute.

Read you soon...

Oh, and the photo of your parents reaction to getting wet? Priceless!!!
Thanks for following along. I may be looking for a good home for Bubblegum, she has been misbehaving a lot lately. Grabbing anything she can off the counter, including a load of bread, a new 1lb bag of gummy bears, and a thing of tomatos. I really wouldn't get rid of her, but she is making us crazy recently. Other than that, she is a great dog and makes sure anyone that rings the doorbell knows she is here and she is big.

I love those photos of my parents. So happy to be on a ride, not realizing they are seconds away from getting wet.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014
Old 09-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
We had a great time, glad you are following along. Are you doing a TR?

Yes, I just started it. I haven't linked it up in the index yet but it will be linked up like I did for SWW!

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2946343

It's too bad we didn't run into each other. It sure sounded like you all were having fun. I know we were having a blast too!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Yes, I just started it. I haven't linked it up in the index yet but it will be linked up like I did for SWW!

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2946343

It's too bad we didn't run into each other. It sure sounded like you all were having fun. I know we were having a blast too!
I think you posted about the same time I posted on your TR.

And you got to do a lot we didn't, very jealous.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014
Old 09-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #19
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

A road trip we will never forget!

Oops, wrote the plan and didn't mention how we paid for this adventure. When we moved the movers not only damaged a lot of stuff, but lost a lot. At least 11 40 gallon plastic tubs, plus a whole lot more. Once we received payment from the movers, we paid off a credit card, allowed Jacob to have some of the money since they lost a lot of his toys, Jonas kept some and the rest went to me for the trip. I also used my Disney Reward Dollars. Moving into a foreclosed home that needed lots of paint helped raise those dollars. And then there was this
. It's a piggy bank, or I guess a trooper bank. I tell you, it wasn't easy getting the money out of the guy. The change kept falling into the chin of it, so I kept having to tilt and shake. It was a good workout, but we had about $80 in change saved just since July 2011.

Now to the trip. We started out Friday morning, the 17th. The plan was to be at the kennel when they opened at 8am. Well, we were about 15 minutes behind which is pretty good for us. Jonas never thinks so though.

Here is Bubblegum headed to the kennel

Before I snapped the pic, she had her head down on the bag in front of her. She never allows me to get the pic I want. And I apologize for the blurriness. There are two reasons for this, the first being this

I rented a wide-angle lens for the trip. I learned about it here:Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide Angle Lens Review

The second excuse for the blurriness is me trying to shoot in manual mode. I have had my DSLR for 3 years now, and this was going to be my first attempt. I purchased the book mentioned in the above article, Understanding Exposure, and thought I would give it a try. So happy I did because the pics did get better as we went.

We got Bubblegum dropped off and hit the road. All was going well until almost Richmond when there was a little road construction (why they don't they do that stuff overnight), that delayed us at least 30 minutes. Finally got around it. Once we did, we switched and I drove. I got us to NC and Jonas took back over.

I guess about 1pm or so, we were in one of those jams where traffic is moving, but truckers keep moving into the left lane, slowing it down. Then you have people who think we enjoy going slow and they try to pass on the right and squeeze in. So everybody probably was a little closer than they should have been. I was either trying to sleep or play on my phone at this point. I did feel Jonas brake and I looked up in time to see the lady in front of us swerve to miss a piece of metal. Jonas swerved and missed it, I went back to whatever I was doing, when I heard Jonas "Oh God, he went down!" I looked back in time to see the motorcyclist behind us sliding/rolling across the grass in the median. Jonas pulled over and ran to him. I got out and called 911. Of course I had no idea where I was. Got transfered several times because I gave them wrong exit number, but finally realized we were right at the Cumberland County line because I could see the sign. Ran back with the phone so Jonas could tell them any info he had on the guy. I looked at him and realized he was just kid. Turned out to be around 20. At this time a sheriff's deputy showed up and then ambulances and fire trucks started arriving. There had been about 10 people that got out to help. Jonas was the only one to stay and give a report. He felt someone should know what happened. He said the guy really wasn't driving badly, just one of those accidents you can't count on. We thought about this young man the whole trip, and I am happy to report that by chance his mother was trying to call the police officer listed on the report and dialed our number by mistake. She told Jonas that her son was in a lot of pain from the broken shoulder, collar bone, and dislocated collar bone, but other than that he was ok.

Now when I got back to the car I realized how dumb I can be at times. We were in the Saturn, which has Onstar. That could have helped locate us a lot quicker. I went ahead and got in the drivers seat thinking Jonas probably didn't need to drive after that.

We got on the road and took it a little slower. We finally made it to Brunswick, GA where we found a hotel right next to Cracker Barrel. This is Jacob's favorite spot for chicken nuggets. Once we sat down, we realized how exhausted we were. We had dinner and went to bed.

Got up the next morning and got some Starbucks and hit the road again. Now, we didn't head directly to Orlando, we had a side trip. We had planned on using the Disney Military Salute tickets and I had gotten spoiled by MacDill always having them. The week before we left on the trip, we learned all the bases in the DC area require you to order them two weeks in advance. Same was true for Legoland. Thought Shades of Green would be a good place to get them, but they don't sell the Legoland tickets.

But MacDill had them and we could get them there. So we headed straight for Tampa. Think it rained the last hour on us. I had a surprise for Jacob in Tampa. There were two boys a couple of houses down from us in FL that he really misses. Not only did I work it out to where he could spend some time with them, but he actually got to spend the night. My surprise was ruined when their mother texted me while Jacob had my phone.

So, he spent the night with them and my Mother and Stepdad picked him up the next morning. They had a great time!

We headed to Orlando in the pouring rain, but eventually we did see this...

oh I deleted the photo because Jonas doesn't have a clue to how use my camera so the pic was horrible. I knew I should have let him drive to WDW.

Next up, we make it home! Our absolute favorite resort.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #20
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Oh, wow, that was really scary about the motorcyclist. So glad that you were able to find out how he is doing.

The twist and turns in your plan were really interesting! That is great that Jacob got to spend the night with his friends.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #21
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Oh, wow, that was really scary about the motorcyclist. So glad that you were able to find out how he is doing.

The twist and turns in your plan were really interesting! That is great that Jacob got to spend the night with his friends.
Knowing he is going to be ok sure did ease our minds. He was in our thoughts all the time while on this trip.

Jacob and the boys sure were excited. They are about to move to CO, so who knows if they will get to see each other. He hasn't made any friends here, or at least any he wants to invite over or go to their house. Hoping this year he finds at least one good friend.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #22
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Home!!!

I had booked this trip back in January. And for the first time in a long time, I used a travel agent. Remember I work at Kohls, I had waited on a customer with a Mickey wallet. Got to talking with her and she gave me her card, so I thought I would be nice and use her for our trip. There was never really any decision on where we would stay. Port Orleans Riverside is where we stayed for our first trip to WDW and has been our favorite ever since. As you can see by my Signature, we have stayed at deluxes and didn't like them as well as POR. And we never have pool or river view rooms. Doesn't matter if I walk out the door and see a parking lot, because you turn a corner and there is some beautiful landscaping.

The travel agent, Shelly, looked into our dates and said the only military rate rooms available were the Royal Suites. I really didn't want one, but if it is all that is available ok. I really thought they should be left for a family that really wanted those rooms. We had stayed in a pirate room before and Jacob was more impressed with the flat screen tv, than the cool atmosphere of the room. No way was a Princess themed room going to excite him.

Jonas and I arrived at the resort. I get so excited, like a little kid. I had heard the reception area had been redone and it was gorgeous. Pics of it will come later. The CM gave me a long explaination about the resort. Usually they will ask you if you have stayed there before, but she didn't so honestly it was torture to have to stand and listen to her, but she never stopped to breath and give me a chance to tell her I probably knew more than her.

We found our room and Jonas had already been threatened not to destroy the room until I got pics, so he sent me on my way, with just the computer bag and his backpack.

And here is room 9905:

I took 10 different shots trying to get a good one of the faucets

Ok, it is a decent shot.

Am I right that they have changed the tops on the shampoos, love the Mickey ears.

Oops, Mousekeeping missed something

We were given a scroll when we checked in, this is what it was (I managed to wrinkle it coming home )

I'm going to go ahead and continue in the next post. I know I am flying through this, but I won't be able to update tomorrow. Work getting in the way of Dis'ing.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #23
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

First thing we do...head to DTD!

I knew we needed to activate our tickets and the Photopass+ I had preordered. I was so excited to finally have ride photos. We could have done this at the parks, but who wants to waste precious park time? So off to the boat we headed. And of course, I was busy taking photos, well attempting to get those great shots.

And I think we see this guy every time we are at POR

I'm not happy with my settings on these shots. I wanted the sky to look more blue, I eventually got it, but not on this day.

The greenery around the Tree House Villas has really grown

By the way, if you ever stay in one, remember the boats run until 11. A previous driver mentioned they sometimes see more than people want them to. Or maybe they do.

We made it to DTD and decided we wanted to eat. I had downloaded the new Disney Experience app on my phone. Used it to look up any available ADR's. Of course we will get an ADR, it's 5:30 on a Saturday night...but we did. Any guesses where?

Thought I would also do a little PTR in the middle of this TR. And since we are going for MNSSHP, thought I would go with an orange, gothic font. So the hotel is booked, CSR. It will be another resort checked off our list. There were no rooms with a king bed availabe at POR. And I booked my airfare last night, leaving around Noon on October 11th, arriving a little after 2. Need to call and add magical express to my ressie. Wow, haven't gotten to use it to arrive to the park since our first trip in 2005. The last time we flew, we flew to Tampa to househunt, and then drove over to WDW. Need to get those MNSSHP tickets ordered. That takes care of Thursday night. We have one day passes we had to purchase when we did the Premium plan for our Anniversary in 2011, so we can use them Friday. Trying to figure out if parkhopper is worth it. I know we want to do Epcot for the Food and Wine Festival.

Would you believe we never did it? We meant to and when we arrived I noticed all the ride lines were really short, and got carried away with them.

Saturday we leave, my flight is at 1pm. Jonas can't order his ticket until after the 1st. Hoping he gets the same flight.

Have a good Wednesday and Thursday, I'll be back Friday since I don't work until 6pm.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #24
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry there was an accident on your way to Disney. Thank goodness he wasn't killed! I guess it was good traffic was moving slow, or hitting that metal fast may have had different consequences. I'm glad you were able to get some follow up too. I'm sure it meant alot to his mom to have your family stay with him through the whole thing.

Wow! Love the princess room!! Wonder if I can talk my guys into that for March for my birthday? Maybe there will be a good bounceback rate? Did you feel like royalty?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #25
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
Thought I would also do a little PTR in the middle of this TR. And since we are going for MNSSHP, thought I would go with an orange, gothic font. So the hotel is booked, CSR. It will be another resort checked off our list. There were no rooms with a king bed availabe at POR. And I booked my airfare last night, leaving around Noon on October 11th, arriving a little after 2. Need to call and add magical express to my ressie. Wow, haven't gotten to use it to arrive to the park since our first trip in 2005. The last time we flew, we flew to Tampa to househunt, and then drove over to WDW. Need to get those MNSSHP tickets ordered. That takes care of Thursday night. We have one day passes we had to purchase when we did the Premium plan for our Anniversary in 2011, so we can use them Friday. Trying to figure out if parkhopper is worth it. I know we want to do Epcot for the Food and Wine Festival.

Would you believe we never did it? We meant to and when we arrived I noticed all the ride lines were really short, and got carried away with them.

Saturday we leave, my flight is at 1pm. Jonas can't order his ticket until after the 1st. Hoping he gets the same flight.

Have a good Wednesday and Thursday, I'll be back Friday since I don't work until 6pm.
CSR is my "home" resort!! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #26
thumperjr9
DIS Veteran

So my DS is back to school today and I'm finally getting caught up on my Dis reading. Also caught up from our trip...it's always seems so hectic getting back from a vacation.

That's scary about the guy on the motorcycle! I never liked motorcycles because I saw a guy get killed on one when I was a teenager. I'm sure it was a relief when you found out he was going to be OK.

I'm hoping I won't regret reading your TR and all the fun we missed at Celebrations.

We stayed at POR several years ago. We really liked it (I love the boat to DTD). However, my guys would rather stay at CSR which is fine as well.
The Royal Suites look nice.....very fancy! We didn't have those cute shampoo bottles with the Mickey ears.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #27
SlightlyGoofy
I shall be forced to take you on an endless tour
I know where some of your favorite spots are

Luxury

Mel, it has been awhile since we stayed at POR and it has really been updated. I understand your room is a suite but it is still very swank. Never wanted such before because I lived that way all the time but now that I live in smaller and less opulent, although quite nice, circumstances it might appeal now.

You guys are so special to have stopped and did what you could for that poor motorcyclist. I am sure his parents are quite grateful. Thank you for the update because he has been on my mind and not just because his age and name are the same as my oldest grandson.

You are forgiven for not giving up your limited vacation time to come and visit me. Heck, my own daughter was in the area a bit ago and did not tell me. You would have been more welcome though.

SG/Linda

We just moved to our Happy Place
All Star Sports is our second home!!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #28
Sooze
DIS Veteran

Wow... what a scary start to your trip! You are such kind people to take the time to stop and stay with the kid. Glad to hear he was okay (for the most part)

We love POR, too! I completely agree with the view not mattering since the resort is so beautiful wherever you go.

Can't wait to hear what's next!
1978 CR,1989 Off Site, 1991 Off Site, 1992 CR, 2003 ASM, 2004 CBR, 2005 CBR, 2005 BCV, 2006 OKW, 2007 SSR,2007 BWV,,2008 POR,2008 OKW,2008 BCV,2009 SSR, 2009 BCV,2009 SSR,2009 SSR ,2010 BWV,2010 POFQ ,2011 Grand Gathering at BWV,2011 Drama Queens in Orlando,2011 Disney Dream New Year's Cruise,2012 OKW,2012 OKW Parents' 40th Anniversary Trip,2013 Spring Break at WLV,2013 Adult Trip BWV,2013 Disney Fantasy New Year's Cruise2014 OKW Summer Fun,2014 AKL Girls Only,2015 My First Half Marathon,2015 Spring Break Cruise

ME DH DS 14 DD 8
Old 09-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #29
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

That room is beautiful. I especially love the faucet.

Your pictures are beautiful thank you for sharing.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #30
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperjr9 View Post
So my DS is back to school today and I'm finally getting caught up on my Dis reading. Also caught up from our trip...it's always seems so hectic getting back from a vacation.

That's scary about the guy on the motorcycle! I never liked motorcycles because I saw a guy get killed on one when I was a teenager. I'm sure it was a relief when you found out he was going to be OK.

I'm hoping I won't regret reading your TR and all the fun we missed at Celebrations.

We stayed at POR several years ago. We really liked it (I love the boat to DTD). However, my guys would rather stay at CSR which is fine as well.
The Royal Suites look nice.....very fancy! We didn't have those cute shampoo bottles with the Mickey ears.
I finally got all the washing done and put up. I can always get it washed, its the putting up that I never want to do.

Where did you stay? Now I'm curious if only certain resorts have those Mickey ear shampoo bottles. Sure wish I had taken a couple now.

Hope you don't regret missing Celebrations too, the next one is a little further away...Germany! Yup, we aren't making that one.

It was a huge relief to hear he was ok since I couldn't get him out of my mind. Tried to Google his name and thought that since nothing came up about an accident, he must be ok.

Are you doing a TR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyGoofy View Post
Mel, it has been awhile since we stayed at POR and it has really been updated. I understand your room is a suite but it is still very swank. Never wanted such before because I lived that way all the time but now that I live in smaller and less opulent, although quite nice, circumstances it might appeal now.

You guys are so special to have stopped and did what you could for that poor motorcyclist. I am sure his parents are quite grateful. Thank you for the update because he has been on my mind and not just because his age and name are the same as my oldest grandson.

You are forgiven for not giving up your limited vacation time to come and visit me. Heck, my own daughter was in the area a bit ago and did not tell me. You would have been more welcome though.

SG/Linda
Hopefully we can catch each other some day soon. Room was nice and it isn't really a suite. Those new Queen beds make it feel a lot smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooze View Post
Wow... what a scary start to your trip! You are such kind people to take the time to stop and stay with the kid. Glad to hear he was okay (for the most part)

We love POR, too! I completely agree with the view not mattering since the resort is so beautiful wherever you go.

Can't wait to hear what's next!
I got one pic of the resort from the parking lot that most probably never see. I'll post it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
That room is beautiful. I especially love the faucet.

Your pictures are beautiful thank you for sharing.
I love the faucet too, that is why I took so many pics trying to get it just right. Need to play around with that pic in Lightroom and see if I can get it to look a little better.

And thank you, you know I love taking pics.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: