DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
radmcg
Mouseketeer

Just purchased first contract and had to relate a side effect

My wife and I have looked at DVC 3 times with Disney on different trips and have always backed out. We finally bought a resale last month and thought I would relate a funny effect of owning. Suddenly, when we used to not be able to get the exteneded family to go, we now don't have enough points!
We found a contract we wanted with banked points and had to use them by 02/13. Our daughter is in college so we could only go at christmas break (Twist my arm). We scheduled our trip and sent emails to the rest of the family as we always do (I think this is about #18 for my wife and I). 2 weeks later we now have 15 confirmed in our . I have heard of DVC making you take vacations but I never thought of it making other people take vacations. Anyway couldn't be happier with our purchase. We bought just for this reason; to spend time with the family. Never thought it would work so well. As a matter of fact we looking for a second contract already. Need a 100 at Boardwalk with feb UY if anyone knows of anything similar let me know

Last edited by radmcg; 09-02-2012 at 11:17 AM.
radmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Glad that all worked out for you, have a great trip. You know, now that you bring it up, I don't think I've ever mentioned our DVC membership to extended family.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
browniemtb
DIS Veteran

Sound great! Last November we traveled to WDW with 21 family members all on our points. In theory it was a great idea but I don't believe we will make that attempt again.

Thank God for DVC!
DD14 DD12 DS7 DS4
browniemtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

ohana means family. 'family' means nobody gets left behind. after my first trip home with my extended family, i changed my mind. 13 in a grand villa at BWV.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

I feel for you!! We have this affliction of needing to stay in a one-bedroom with a king-sized bed, even it it's just me and DH. Staying in one just once, is all it took!!

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
disney212
DIS Veteran

Have a great time! We have offered a "free bedroom" to our extended family and no one has accepted yet. The family that always wants to go owns DVC too!
disney212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
Sammie
DIS Veteran

In our extended family our owning DVC is our best kept secret.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
JimS4210
Counting down the days until our next vacation...

My wife and I have 4 kids, 3 of them out of the house. They have no problem sucking up all of the points we have and are always asking when we're gonna buy some more! Unfortunately, that doesn't leave any points for brothers or sisters families, nieces or nephews, etc.

Let 'em buy their own points!

Jim

JimS4210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
JimS4210
Counting down the days until our next vacation...

BTW, congrats on buying DVC! You'll love it!

Jim

JimS4210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by radmcg View Post
My wife and I have looked at DVC 3 times with Disney on different trips and have always backed out. We finally bought a resale last month and thought I would relate a funny effect of owning. Suddenly, when we used to not be able to get the exteneded family to go, we now don't have enough points!
We found a contract we wanted with banked points and had to use them by 02/13. Our daughter is in college so we could only go at christmas break (Twist my arm). We scheduled our trip and sent emails to the rest of the family as we always do (I think this is about #18 for my wife and I). 2 weeks later we now have 15 confirmed in our . I have heard of DVC making you take vacations but I never thought of it making other people take vacations. Anyway couldn't be happier with our purchase. We bought just for this reason; to spend time with the family. Never thought it would work so well. As a matter of fact we looking for a second contract already. Need a 100 at Boardwalk with feb UY if anyone knows of anything similar let me know
We do a family trip about EOY with between 25 & 40 people. I do hope it works out, but somehow I sense a disaster in the making. I'm guessing many of those interested are assuming free accommodations. We've even seen reports her on DIS of members who invited others that were upset when they didn't get free tickets or free meals as well. You know your family so I'm sure you know how they tend to act, just don't assume they'll do better than usual because it's Disney and you were nice enough to invite them. I'm hoping I'm wrong and you have a great trip.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Congratulations and have a wonderful time!!!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
msp2mco
Mouseketeer

What a happy original post. Congratulations! If your extended family aren't Disney veterans, I would suggest being clear about what they can expect--costs, time, meals, schedules, etc. My DBIL teases me about being a bit militant about our first trip with him, but it hasn't deterred him from coming on other trips. It took awhile before he went off by himself though, and he is over 50!
msp2mco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #13
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Enjoy your membership!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: