Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #511
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edna mode View Post
Hi All,
I'm Kelly, joining for my first 1/2. Just finished my 5th Disney 5K at DL yesterday as a walker (bad knee won't let me run). I'm starting the Jeff Galloway program too this week. Saw him speak at the health expo Friday - he's great. Looking forward to chatting with all of you!
Okay I am laughing at myself right now. When I first read this I thought you said you finished the 5K with a walker and I had this vision of you using one of the walkers with tennis balls on the front wheels.

It is time for me to go to bed because I am seeing crazy things.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #512
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

First day of official training today ladies! Woohoo!

Happy running everyone!

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
kindakrazy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #513
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
ITA Sarah! I'm excited though!

Soooo... now I have an obsession question. I do this a lot, so bear with me.

Hydroguy posted new EMH showing DCA will be getting EMH on Sunday mornings, rather than DL. This poses a quandry for me as far as the race course is concerned.

I really like the look of the race course Tink ran in 2012 compared to the course they ran today for DL half. I haven't been on either one, but as a Princess vet, I really love having a goal for the first couple miles (get to MK) and then something to look forward to at the end (run a bit through Epcot) So the 2012 Tink course gets more excitement from me than the DL course which seems to give you all the good stuff at the beginning, leaving nothing but long industrial stretch for the end. (yeah, I know, the stadium, but... eh....)

BUT

With EMH, this means DCA should be opening at 7am that morning for EMH guests if the hours remain the same as they historically do. Some of us caboose runners will still be on the streets! At Epcot, they do open to guests and just kinda crowd control as we run past them. I hear the same with Animal Kingdom when the marathon is going on. In fact, marathoners will stop and jump on Expedition Everest as they run past it- have a quick little ride in the middle of the marathon- lol!!!

What do you think will happen? Do you think they will change the course? Change EMH that morning? Have us run through DCA anyway? I was hoping maybe the course would include a run through Carsland- it's so pretty there! But I can't imagine, at least with current crowds, they would do that with all those people on the street. So my dream is probably out.

Previous runners- what part of DCA did we run through? Can you mark up a map or something to give me an idea?

I know I know... why worry- it will be what it will be! I'm not worried, just curious! It's my nature- what can I say?
Great question! I'm curious to find out too! I have last years map pinned up at work and I love looking at it and seeing how far I know I can make it hehe...

Kim - hope the DL half went well for you over the weekend!

We were camping this weekend so I have run since Wednesday night. Tonight I'll do a nice 2.5 miles, probably do the same on Thursday and then Sunday I'll do my long run. Last long run was 6 miles so I'll do 6.5 th is time. My 10K is the following Sunday so this weekend will be my last long run before I run my first 10K! My bib came in the mail over the weekend so it feels official now! Kinda bummed I'm not going to the expo for this one so I wont get my shirt until after the race. oh well.

Hope training is going good for everyone!

Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #514
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Thanks for reminding me about my obsession! I found some info that chilled me out a bit.

First of all, DCA with emh should be a 9 am opening if they stick to the same hours as last year. So this shouldn't be an issue if we finish the race through DCA. Phew

Second, I found a note on the blog that says we will run through carsland! So I was excited to see that in print.

Need to get in the treadmill but really not feeling it. Blah. Here goes 30 min!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #515
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

So, I know we're starting the Jeff Galloway program this week, but I'm still finishing my 5k101 training, so I'm following that program through to the end (2 more weeks). Its more aggressive anyway.

Today my training run was 12 min jog/3 min walk intervals x3, with 5 minute warm-up and cool down walks. The treadmill at my club will only allow a max 45 minute work out, so I didn't get to finish the last minute of my last interval. This sucks, and I'm going to have to figure a way around it. Maybe count my walk in and out of the parking lot as my warm up?

Can't wait for my first 5k on Sunday -- THANKS FOR ALL THE INSPIRATION, LADIES!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #516
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Help! A friend of mine is on a team doing the Nike half marathon in SF on 10/14 and they have a spot open that I could buy! Do I do it? I was going to try to get in next year but now I kinda want to do it this year since I have the opportunity and theres no guarantee I'd get in next year. I know I wont be at 13.1 running by 10/14. In fact the most I'll be at is 8 doing run/walk intervals. The time limit on it is like 5 hours so even if I walked the last 5 miles I could still finish and get the Tiffany necklace oh what to do?

Kirsten
Old 09-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #517
BabieDuckie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie101 View Post
Help! A friend of mine is on a team doing the Nike half marathon in SF on 10/14 and they have a spot open that I could buy! Do I do it? I was going to try to get in next year but now I kinda want to do it this year since I have the opportunity and theres no guarantee I'd get in next year. I know I wont be at 13.1 running by 10/14. In fact the most I'll be at is 8 doing run/walk intervals. The time limit on it is like 5 hours so even if I walked the last 5 miles I could still finish and get the Tiffany necklace oh what to do?
Tiffany necklace?! I MUST put this on the calendar for next year. Yay! I've found motivation to keep training for something AFTER Tink!

I say go for it! You can definitely do it!!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #518
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabieDuckie View Post
Tiffany necklace?! I MUST put this on the calendar for next year. Yay! I've found motivation to keep training for something AFTER Tink!

I say go for it! You can definitely do it!!
Tiffany necklace presented to you by an SF fireman in a tuxedo

Kirsten
Old 09-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #519
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'm sure you could do it, but take into account that San Francisco is very hilly. I haven't seen the course map, but there are bound to be some pretty significant inclines.

On the other hand.... Tiffany necklace!!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #520
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

A friend of mine did it last year and LOVED it but yes, its a serious course. There is a reason they give you 5 hours to do it. But ya, if I had a guaranteed spot - I'd be there and kill myself to do it!

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #521
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindakrazy2 View Post
A friend of mine did it last year and LOVED it but yes, its a serious course. There is a reason they give you 5 hours to do it. But ya, if I had a guaranteed spot - I'd be there and kill myself to do it!
Ugh, Hills! I haven't even gone up a hill yet. I dont even like slight inclines! Gonna have to think about this one and then talk to DH. Its not cheap so I do need to factor in a night in SF as well as the reg fee.

Kirsten
Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #522
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ugh, Hills! I haven't even gone up a hill yet. I dont even like slight inclines! Gonna have to think about this one and then talk to DH. Its not cheap so I do need to factor in a night in SF as well as the reg fee.

Who cares how hard it is - firefighters, tuxedos and tiffany jewelry - what more do you need? lol!

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

Old 09-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #523
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! I'm back, just got home and am ready to go down again.
Not a good wknd for running, 5k was fun, but it was too much for my knee. In retrospect should have skipped that one. Had to drop out of the 1/2, b/c my knee was feeling way too weak for me to be comfortable. But that's ok, not every race will be a good one and I knew it'd be a challenge to do the race this year. But I was in DL so not a bad wknd overall. Loved Cars Land!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
What do you think will happen? Do you think they will change the course? Change EMH that morning? Have us run through DCA anyway? I was hoping maybe the course would include a run through Carsland- it's so pretty there! But I can't imagine, at least with current crowds, they would do that with all those people on the street. So my dream is probably out.

Previous runners- what part of DCA did we run through? Can you mark up a map or something to give me an idea?
Asked about the pacers and the guy told me yes they'll have them at Tink.

For the DCA part of the course at the end, I think we came in near TOT and went through Bugs Land. We left Bugs to the old parking lot behind the park. How we got to Bugs from TOT don't remember, sorry. Maybe around Grizzly Run? And don't forget we go off at 5, so we'll be out by 9. They might only do EMH for DL and open DCA a little later. I can tell you that DCA wasn't open when we were running so that wasn't a prob. And when we're on DIsney way going into TOT they do a really good job of making sure people don't cut across in front of runners as they try to get into the park.

Quote:
It's a tough course. There's a hill from the Presidio to the GGB that is not fun and there's another right after that one that is just as bad. You go downhill after that one, but there are a couple of other big ones after the downhill again. The nice thing is you have that big down hill after the Cliff House before you go into GG Park. The plus is that you'll close to the water so hopefully there'll be some fog, there was last year. The start area is kinda a mess b/c they don't have corrals and it's literally wrapped around Union Square so it's a crowded free for all. But the support along the course is better than any race I've run b/c it's TnT's biggest race so their cheer groups are all over and loud and really great. You don't get the shirt until the finish and make sure you get the right one. There were a lot of complaints that people got one that said marathon and ran the 1/2 and vice versa and they didn't think to check when they were handed theirs so make sure you check if you run. The necklaces are really nice though, last year's was simple I love mine. And the fireman are nice to look at, really cute last year. Year before were so-so.

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #524
BabieDuckie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Tiffany necklace presented to you by an SF fireman in a tuxedo
Oh, yeah. Definitely putting my name in!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #525
ludari
DIS Veteran

I am looking forward to this race again with my friends. We just finished the DL half this past weekend and it was a blast. The best part for me was running through Cars Land. I also enjoyed all the classic cars between mile markers 8 and 9. They didn't have that last year so it was a nice surprise. I know that the Tinker half has a different route than the DL half but I am crossing my fingers that at least it includes the same route inside the parks as the DL half. It was bit different than races past and I really enjoyed it.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: