Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
anc876
Mouseketeer

College: Who Pays - Parent or Kid?

How did you pay for school, and how are you planning for your kids to attend college?

My parents helped with community college expenses, then I used my GI Bill to pay (and get paid!) for university costs. I have a BA and zero student debt (never even had to take out a loan). I still have GI Bill money left.

From my experience in college, it seemed like many young students whose parents were footing the bill were under-appreciative and not taking their studies seriously. I am thankful that my husband and I had to earn almost everything on our own, and plan to have my son do likewise. He may have to serve a few years in the military, work while in school, or apply for financial aid, but he will be expected to bear the brunt of his college tuition.

In addition, we won't be pushing him to go to college if he is unsure of what he wants to do. So many kids are expected to automatically jump into higher education and amass thousands in student loans without truly planning or preparing themselves. But that's a whole 'nother thread. =)
anc876 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: