Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #16
aurorafan65
Mouseketeer

Definitely check out The Franklin Institute, they have special exhibits all the time. A couple years ago it was King Tut, this summer it's the Dead Sea Scrolls.

There's the Art museum too, which is where Rocky ran up the stairs.

Valley Forge is nice & if you're thinking about the King of Prussia mall, it's literally right night door.

There is also the Philadelphia Outlet Center but again even though it's called that it's not in Philadelphia it's in Limerick and about an hour on I95 from here but that drive isn't quite as bad as to King of Prussia
Not true - the Outlets are off 422 not 95. It's about 20 minutes from The King of Prussia/Valley Forge area.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #17
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by familygoboston View Post
That's it! It's probably well over a mile, but such a nice walk !

SAY Hello- when my DH went for cheesesteaks and fries with our girls on South St, I waited with the car, so I could feed quarters since it was raining and we had no idea how far down the street the food shops were or how long the lines for both would be (I'm a veg and don't eat them anyway). Well, we parked right in front of a s#x shop, with all kinds of fascinating stuff in the window. I had great fun watching the proprietess set up the window display and then seeing the clients come and go
Well that was a different vacation experience!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #18
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by familygoboston View Post
That's it! It's probably well over a mile, but such a nice walk !

SAY Hello- when my DH went for cheesesteaks and fries with our girls on South St, I waited with the car, so I could feed quarters since it was raining and we had no idea how far down the street the food shops were or how long the lines for both would be (I'm a veg and don't eat them anyway). Well, we parked right in front of a s#x shop, with all kinds of fascinating stuff in the window. I had great fun watching the proprietess set up the window display and then seeing the clients come and go
That's usually what South Street is known for but there are other fun shops that don't include, well you know. I have at least two shops there I like to go and check out. Garland of Letters is one I like and it's hard to miss it has a lion statue at the entrance. I don't think I ever leave that store without buying something.

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
CSR September 2007 13 years is much too long trip report!
DIS Unplugged Exclusive Knights and Lights ABD October 2012
Swan August 2013 & DIS Cruise 1.0 on RCCL Oasis
LionKingRules84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #19
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorafan65 View Post
Definitely check out The Franklin Institute, they have special exhibits all the time. A couple years ago it was King Tut, this summer it's the Dead Sea Scrolls.

There's the Art museum too, which is where Rocky ran up the stairs.

Valley Forge is nice & if you're thinking about the King of Prussia mall, it's literally right night door.

There is also the Philadelphia Outlet Center but again even though it's called that it's not in Philadelphia it's in Limerick and about an hour on I95 from here but that drive isn't quite as bad as to King of Prussia
Not true - the Outlets are off 422 not 95. It's about 20 minutes from The King of Prussia/Valley Forge area.
Yes I'm looking forward to the 'Titanic' exhibit coming in November myself! They do require an up charge though. Still kicking myself for missing the King Tut exhibit but that was forever ago.

Yes it is off 422 and while it might be 20 minutes from King of Prussia it's an hour from Philly(the Outlet center) Valley Forge is even farther. I don't usually drive so I don't always remember the road names but I know it's quite a distance from Philly though.

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
Old 09-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #20
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Thank you for this thread.

My friend and I are also going on this tour, arriving the evening of May 22, so we'll have that evening and all of Thursday to check out Philadelphia. We want to do things that are not part of the tour.

Also, we're leaving Washington DC on Sunday, so we'll have most of Friday and all of Saturday to do things. Add to that some free time on a couple of afternoons, and have some time we want to fill up with local experiences.

Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #21
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo View Post
Thank you for this thread.

My friend and I are also going on this tour, arriving the evening of May 22, so we'll have that evening and all of Thursday to check out Philadelphia. We want to do things that are not part of the tour.

Also, we're leaving Washington DC on Sunday, so we'll have most of Friday and all of Saturday to do things. Add to that some free time on a couple of afternoons, and have some time we want to fill up with local experiences.

Hmmmmm... how do you feel about somebody tagging along for some of this?

I am SO looking forward to taking an ABD that *does not* involve jet lag!!!

Sayhello
Old 09-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #22
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Hmmmmm... how do you feel about somebody tagging along for some of this?

I am SO looking forward to taking an ABD that *does not* involve jet lag!!!

Sayhello
Say Hello- the ABD Galapagos trip didn't involve jet lag for we east coasters either, which was so nice! We had to go hour back to EST from DLST, (you dont need to save daylight when you have the same amount every day at the equator) but that only made the early mornings easier! It seemed weird to go so far and not have jet lag!
familygoboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #23
glassslipper2004
DIS Veteran

Hi Sayhello! I don't have a ton of time to post right now, but will think about what info I can pass on. We traveled to Philly and Williamsberg two spring breaks ago, and DC last spring break, and had absolutely awesome times on both trips. I loved Williamsberg and definitely think you can find things to do for two days- we were there three, plus one at Busch Gardens. The speakers (people acting in historical roles, like John Adams) were wonderful and only show up a few times each day, in different places, so if you can catch a few of those they were a real highlight for us. Similarly, they do some short plays about the time period, on location, very well done. And there are colonial style restaurants and shops, along with nearby cute shops, and then of course premium outlets. Also right nearby is historic Jamestowne, including the real site which they are excavating, and the part they have built to look like it may have looked like. I have a good friend who is a historian working on the real site who I can get some info from if you want.

Guess I kept writing longer than I thought I would but have to run now, will post more later. There's a great restaurant called Marrakesh in Philly, and we loved the Spy Museum in DC, also look to see if you can get tickets for the Capital Steps in DC, a very amusing group who sings political satire, they perform weekly.
1980; 1990 - WDW - college graduation; 1993 - WDW - Grand Floridian honeymoon trip; 2003 - WDW - (offsite) first time with our girls - we celebrate DH's birthday; 2004 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge; 2006 - WDW - (offsite) and we again celebrate DH's birthday; 2006 - Disney Wonder 4-night cruise; 2007 - Disney Wonder Cruise and WDW Yacht Club -- fun at Stormalong Bay!; 2008 - Viva Italia ABD; 2009 - Disney Hollywood Studios; 2009 - Southwest Splendors ABD; 2010 - Israel; 2010 - Paris/London; 2011 - Disney Dream, Poly and Beach Club

Upcoming: August 2013 Med cruise
glassslipper2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #24
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassslipper2004 View Post
Hi Sayhello! I don't have a ton of time to post right now, but will think about what info I can pass on. We traveled to Philly and Williamsberg two spring breaks ago, and DC last spring break, and had absolutely awesome times on both trips. I loved Williamsberg and definitely think you can find things to do for two days- we were there three, plus one at Busch Gardens. The speakers (people acting in historical roles, like John Adams) were wonderful and only show up a few times each day, in different places, so if you can catch a few of those they were a real highlight for us. Similarly, they do some short plays about the time period, on location, very well done. And there are colonial style restaurants and shops, along with nearby cute shops, and then of course premium outlets. Also right nearby is historic Jamestowne, including the real site which they are excavating, and the part they have built to look like it may have looked like. I have a good friend who is a historian working on the real site who I can get some info from if you want.

Guess I kept writing longer than I thought I would but have to run now, will post more later. There's a great restaurant called Marrakesh in Philly, and we loved the Spy Museum in DC, also look to see if you can get tickets for the Capital Steps in DC, a very amusing group who sings political satire, they perform weekly.
Thanks, glassslipper! This is great. I'm a big fan of the colonial period, and Williamsburg sounds like something I'd enjoy. As does Jamestowne! I'd love it if you could get me more info about the "real site"!

Sayhello
Old 09-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #25
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Thanks, glassslipper! This is great. I'm a big fan of the colonial period, and Williamsburg sounds like something I'd enjoy. As does Jamestowne! I'd love it if you could get me more info about the "real site"!

Sayhello
I hadn't thought about Jamestown. Now, that would be another interesting place to visit.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #26
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassslipper2004 View Post
There's a great restaurant called Marrakesh in Philly,
Funny you should mention this, this was the restaurant I was at a few friday nights ago on South Street. I always crave this place every once in awhile it's very similar to the Marrakesh in Epcot but A LOT more food! My husband and I were treating friends of ours and since we went on a friday night they had belly dancers! They had me and the 8 year old we were treating to dinner dancing, I had enjoyed a little to much of their house wine or I probably wouldn't have joined in! It's a nice place and I recommend their Spicy chicken and Honey Lamb option when ordering. I still say they have the best baklava ever!

Yes they do have the cinnamon and powder sugar meat pie but it's chicken and egg not beef like the one in Epcot. It's one of my favorite courses there next to the spicy chicken and baklava for desert.

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
Old 09-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #27
nordkin
DIS Veteran

Since I live 3 miles from DC I can answer any questions you have about it. Let me know what type things interest you and I can make recommendations. I will look at what is included with the trip and go from there. Will post more later tonight when I get home from work.
nordkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #28
mom2cookies
DIS Veteran

As a born and raised PHiladelphian, my suggestions mimic those above minus the shopping malls. King of Prussia is way over priced imo. Longwood Gardens imo isn't Philadelphia but it is beautiful and it is an all day thing. Definitely agree with the Art Museum, Franklin Institute, Camden Aquarium (yes i know not Philly either), Philadelphia Zoo, and Reading Market. If you don't visit them with your brother, the historical sites like Elfriths Alley and Betsy Ross house, INdependence Hall, and other such places are really interesting. MOst of these places are within walking distance of each other.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #29
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionKingRules84 View Post

The Franklin Institute is a Science Museum. I haven't been in years but they have a ton of interactive Science exhibits. Tourists seem to like it I tend to shy away from it since I always see a ton of kids there, but that's just a preference, people seem to really enjoy it and it's worth a visit if you have never been. It has an IMAX theater too..
dead sea scrolls exhibit is there now- but in May it will be a Titanic exhibit.
We usually go on a sunday morning and stay til around noon when we have the place all to ouselves
Old 09-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #30
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordkin View Post
Since I live 3 miles from DC I can answer any questions you have about it. Let me know what type things interest you and I can make recommendations. I will look at what is included with the trip and go from there. Will post more later tonight when I get home from work.
Thanks, nordkin! I do love my History, but I'm a fan of most kind of museums. I'm hoping to make it to the Holocaust museum at some point. Any other must sees?

I am also a fan of interesting architecture. I don't know how much I actually know about it, but I really appreciate it!

If I stay in DC after the trip, where would be a good place to stay? The ABD stays at the Mayflower, but they aren't doing post-days there. Should I just stay put, or can you recommend a different hotel that's nice & well located?

Any must-do restaurants?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cookies View Post
As a born and raised PHiladelphian, my suggestions mimic those above minus the shopping malls. King of Prussia is way over priced imo. Longwood Gardens imo isn't Philadelphia but it is beautiful and it is an all day thing. Definitely agree with the Art Museum, Franklin Institute, Camden Aquarium (yes i know not Philly either), Philadelphia Zoo, and Reading Market. If you don't visit them with your brother, the historical sites like Elfriths Alley and Betsy Ross house, INdependence Hall, and other such places are really interesting. MOst of these places are within walking distance of each other.
mom2cookies, I'm staying in Philly prior to joining an ABD (Adventures by Disney) tour there. The tour does all the touristy things like Betsy Ross's house, Independence Hall, The Liberty Bell, etc. I'm trying to come up with interesting things to do with my Brother & his family and to do during some time on my own before the tour starts. Everything you mention sounds great. Except, what is Elfriths Alley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
dead sea scrolls exhibit is there now- but in May it will be a Titanic exhibit.
We usually go on a sunday morning and stay til around noon when we have the place all to ouselves
Ooo, I'm a big Titanic fan. I'll have to check that out. I'll be on the ABD by the time Sunday rolls around, so no leisurely visit for me. But I still will check it out!

Thanks, all!
Sayhello

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: