Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
dkhurley
Mouseketeer

Is DDP worth it?

I live in Florida and my girlfriend and me are planning on going to Disney World for New Years Eve, staying for two nights. We have been talking about getting dining plan, but when we researched the prices, we don't really see how it could be worth it.

My main question is that, would you suggest getting the dining plan? We would be eating at table services but we still don't see how it would save us any money.
dkhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

As a solo traveler, I always get the DDP or DxDP when I go to WDW. You will need to go to allears.net to read the menus and look at the prices of the entrees you would choose. Once you've done that, you can decide if it makes sense for you. You will need to make your TS ADRs at 180 days out(if staying on property) to ensure that you get the restaurant and time you want to eat. Below are the numbers I use to help guide my decision of where to eat.

Regular dining plan(DDP)--QS=$12, TS=35, S=$4
Deluxe dining plan(DxDP)--each TS=$25, each S=$4

When you look at the menus, if you would not spend at least this amount of money on each meal, the dining plan isn't for you. Except for breakfast, the DDP gives you an entree, dessert and beverage each meal(or buffet) and the DxDP gives you an appetizer, entree, dessert and beverage each meal(or buffet). You can also go to the WDW website under "where to eat" and "dining plan" to view the restaurants you can choose from.

Good luck with your decision.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

Hello fellow Floridian! I find that the DxDP works really well for weekend trips. For two nights you get 6 credits (TS or CS) per person to use over 3 days. This works out perfectly for 2 meals a day or splurging for a 2 TS meal one day and having just 1 meal on arrival/departure day. My Nov. trip coming up I'm eating at Teppan Edo, Ohana's, CRT, CP, and TH. Add in the snacks and I've saved enough to cover CRT. A basically free meal in the castle is not a bad deal at all.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
gizfish
We wants the redhead! Gives us the redhead!

For many people, paying for the dining plan is not worth it based on how they eat. Unless you are the type of people who each eat large meals, nice size lunches and three treats a day AND generally order the most expensive things on the menu, the DDP probably won't work out for saving you money.
gizfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
katieam1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhurley View Post
I live in Florida and my girlfriend and me are planning on going to Disney World for New Years Eve, staying for two nights. We have been talking about getting dining plan, but when we researched the prices, we don't really see how it could be worth it.

My main question is that, would you suggest getting the dining plan? We would be eating at table services but we still don't see how it would save us any money.
I have used the dining plan several times, while I liked it for us, we are now heading towards the Tables In Wonderland card. We just feel that card can allow us to order how we want rather than what we feel we need to so we can get our money out of it. I think for everyone that is a personal question and one only you can answer. Take some time price things out and explore all the options. If the dining plan won't work for you maybe another option will! Have a great trip and Happy Planning!!

katieam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
dkhurley
Mouseketeer

We are going to get the dining plan after doing a ton of research on prices yesterday. If the dining plan doesn't work well for us, we won't use it in the future, but it's worth a shot for just a two night stay.
dkhurley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ddp, dining plan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: