Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
snookhams

DIS Veteran

Location: Greater London - Host to the 2012 Olympics in which my son hopes to swim

Were Back...... but.......

from a truly magical holiday. We have had a wonderful three weeks only spolied slightly by the bad weather caused by Issac, and by me not feeling to good - but made the most of it.

Highs -
Just being in Florida.
British Airways - they were so kind and helpful on both flights - some of you may remember that I have been feeling unwell for sometime and DH hired a wheelchair just in case it was needed - well on the morning of our flight I fell in the shower at the hotel and hurt my back, I tried to keep it from the boys but I was in agony - bought the strongest painkillers that I could at the airport and boarded the plane - now no laughing but on my only visit to the toilet on the plane I got stuck, I could not move because my back had gone into a spasm, I sat crying for a while before pressing the emergency button, but at the same time DH realised something must be wrong and was just speaking to someone. They were wonderfully helpful, unfortunatly the rest of the flight was agony, so glad to arrive. Luckily as the days progressed the pain subsided but had to use the wheelchair more than we had planned.
Segway tour at Epcot was brilliant and will do again - although by the end i was in some pain.
Boggy Creek airboat Ride.
Meals ~ onsite - Grand Floridian Cafe, Sci-fi, Afternoon Tea, Crystal palace
off-site - Bubba Gump and although not a meal but Dunkin Donuts (we had Krispy Kreme first but I am sad to say they were horrible and we were converted back to Dunkin and got a mug saying 'this mum runs on Dunkin'.

Lows - the weather but only for a few days caused by Issac.
My back - and the pain.
Fantasmic - sat for an hour an a half, an hour of that in drizzle - no thunder no lightening, and then just on 8.30 they announce its cancelled - fair enough but leaving was just so chaotic - we waited sometime as because of the wheelchair and could not believe the mayhem that met us, they had shut one exit so that all the people for the later show could queue which meant that wheelchairs, pushchairs, little children walking, parents in barefoot I could go on - I am sure we ran over numerous toes - if they were yours I apologies.
coming home.
Lenscrafters at the florida mall - despite telling them DS wasn't interested in designer frames, they persisted in bringing only designer frames to try on and then pricing 1 pair of glasses at $580 - well that wasn't going to happen - went to our local optical factory today and got Ralph lauren (yes i know we said we didn't want them), with transition lenses for £150! about half the price.

But now on a plus side - DH promised me on the flight home that we would return next year for a holiday on our own - just the two of us, the last time we did that I was expecting our eldest son (the boys will be 21 and 17 so although I feel slightly guilty this will be our first holiday as a couple in nearly 22 years)- so guess what we booked today. 18 days as a couple in the happiest place on earth - the countdown has begun. And I will be looking for some ideas of couples things we could do.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

Welcome back and well done on booking your next holiday

Well I can sympathise with your back problems on the flight as I fell down the stairs once just before flying and wore a heat pad all the flight Glad it felt better as the holiday went on.

It sounds like you all had a wonderful time and now you're back at least you can start planning again.

Perhaps a few romantic meals will be on the cards or a spa treatment? Do you fancy anything in particular?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Welcome home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookhams View Post

But now on a plus side - DH promised me on the flight home that we would return next year for a holiday on our own - just the two of us, the last time we did that I was expecting our eldest son (the boys will be 21 and 17 so although I feel slightly guilty this will be our first holiday as a couple in nearly 22 years)- so guess what we booked today. 18 days as a couple in the happiest place on earth - the countdown has begun. And I will be looking for some ideas of couples things we could do.
We leave on the 31st Oct for 10 nights as a couple, DS starts Uni this month so for the first time in over 18 years we are going without him.
I have told him we will skype at meal times and put my netbook on the table so we can still share a family meal
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
DisMadWife
Earning My Ears

Think we may have sat at the same Fantasmic show as you, we were very wet and agree it was dreadful getting out, we had also sat there the night before and it went tech after a couple of minutes so it may have been us that jinxed it I am afraid so apologies for that lol
DisMadWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
joolz1910
I would have gone down to reception in my robe and slippers
I can't decide if it's sweet or sinister

How wonderful to go as a couple. I certainly wouldn't feel guilty. Shame about your back pain
2009 DLRP (DLH)
'Just Like we Dreamed it...at the DLH'
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)
2012 OKW at WDW 'A Whole New World'

joolz1910 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: