Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
MichelinMan
I Am Speed - Ka-Chow!!!!

Split Hotels or Stay On-Site??

I am looking to book 3 weeks next year in July. I was thinking about a week staying at Universal Royal Pacific to do Universal, Seaworld and Discovery Cove, before changing hotels for 2 weeks on-site at Disney.

However, as you can get free dining by staying at Disney, I am wondering whether it would be better to spend all 3 weeks on-site. The negative would be travelling to I-drive from Disney a few days, and not getting Express passes at Universal. But it would be less hassle not having to change hotels.

What do you guys think?

I am also undecided where to stay on-site. I like the idea of Beach Club, but it is really expensive - I can afford it (just got a great new job ) but I'm not sure I can bring myself to spend the price of a small car just for a 3 week holiday!

I also like the look of POFQ, but you only get QSDP there, and I notice that OKW works out better value due to the free DDP. But I'm not sure whether I would like OKW - I know it is a favourite of many people here, so please tell me why it is so good.

The other option is AKL, but I think I would rather be a bit more central to get to places easier. Plus, IMO, there wouldn't be much point going there unless you had a Savannah view, and that works out more expensive than the Beach Club anyway.

Decisions, decisions!

July 1994 : WDW Off-Site on Honeymoon
July 2009 : DLP Newport Bay Club
July 2011 : DLP Disneyland Hotel
July 2013 : WDW Polynesian Resort / Hard Rock Universal / Renaissance SeaWorld
MichelinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
orangetiggs
Married my sweetheart in DISNEY!!!!!

I would stay onsite all three weeks and benefit from the ddp

I was never sure on okw till i went last year and i love it, the rooms are huge compared to value and mods and the theming is so relaxing, we are going back in just over 8 weeks and i cant wait and will prob book again for next year too
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
ben1993
DIS Veteran

Personally, I'd do the 1 week at RPR and 2 weeks at Disney, that's a perfect Orlando trip to me! Dining on I-drive is so much cheaper anyway I don't think not having the dining plan for the first week would be less economical.

As for which resort at Disney, I don't agree that it's pointless staying at AKL without a savannah view, we only had a standard view but the resort has so much to offer, viewing platforms for the animals are everywhere and the whole feel is so immersive throughout. The only irritant is the distance from the other 3 parks, if that really bothers you then Beach Club is in an awesome location and has a fantastic pool. Can't go wrong really!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I'm with Ben. There are so many amazing options for dining off-site (and also on-site at Universal), I would not want to limit myself to 3 weeks of eating at Disney.

For me, the perfect way to do it would be a few nights at RPR and the rest at Disney. We nearly always do a split stay and it is not any hassle at all really.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran

We've done exactly what your suggesting twice now.We did 5 nights Lowes `Royal Pacific then switched to Yacht Club for 12 nights
We stayed Club Level at RP which worked out really well, it opened about 6.30-7am giving us plenty of time for a hearty breakfast before heading to WWOHP for early doors.We then had a snack for lunch then either went back to the lounge for dinner or ate at places on City Walk(Pasta More for example is very reasonable)I found it worked out cheaper paying for a CL room than paying OOP for breakfast lunch and dinner.

We also found that once we were in Disney we didn't want to leave.So doing all the Universal/IOA and Sea World stuff first worked out really well,leaving plenty of time to laze at Stormalong Bay

BC/YC is also perfect for getting to EPCOT (5 min walk) HS (10 min boat ride/20 walk) and your right on The Boardwalk, which all have some of the best dining options in Disney IMO
Old 09-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
kevin harrison
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangetiggs View Post
we are going back in just over 8 weeks and i cant wait and will prob book again for next year too
Do try and not burn the resort down this time...
kevin harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
kevin harrison
DIS Veteran

The problem with the DDP is that it ties you to Disney's restuarnts and in all honesty the size of the tips sometimes would buy you a decent meal in some places.

Also by restricting yourself to Disney, you are missing a world of fantastic dining outside.

A split stay works well for many, this is what we did last time. As long as you get up early and can leave suitcases at your new hotel to check in - you don't waste a day at all.

We left OKW at 7am, dropped off cases at the HRH and were at Universal by 08:30.
kevin harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin harrison View Post
Do try and not burn the resort down this time...

Old 09-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

We are all different on what we like to do with holidays, which hotels we like etc.
The last 4 years we have done OKW, problem we have is we go for 24 or 25 nights so we have to change hotels as max is 21 for free DDP. We went to RPR one year for 3 nights, didn't enjoy it at all, wasn't for us, this year stayed at Fairfield Inn LBV, far better but still dislike moving hotels.

I also wouldn't stay at AKL unless it was a savanah room, we had a great few nights there but I don't see point if I don't have a view of the animals, I would rather stay at OKW which is cheaper and a more relaxing resort, we then visit AKL for meals and see animals.

Our long trip next August we have decided to stay the whole holiday offsite(hope to get a deal at Fairfield Inn LBV) due to increased costs onsite for room & tips, works out over £1,000 cheaper offsite.

You will not believe how much we dislike moving hotels, can't believe we are planning a roadtrip next Easter from Miami to Orlando, who's crazy idea was that
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: