Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sWDW4me View Post
Thank goodness for this thread! I was afraid it was me rather than poor servers.

We were on the 8/18-25 Fantasy. Our server was ok but he always seemed a bit arrogant and was usually busy scanning the room and/or other tables even while he was talking to us. Our assistant server was good but I don't always want a Sprite... sometimes I want a Coke or just water with dinner. I didn't like that he automatically brought out the drink that I had ordered on our first night (I know that's standard practice and not something that he did on his own so I'm not blaming him, personally).

Our head server did stop by very briefly a few times but he actually did help with a problem before I talked to him about it: my youngest brother (16) has a tree nut allergy. He can be around them but his airway closes if he even just puts a nut in his mouth. I had our TA note this on our reservation and we mentioned it to our server on the first night. Our server went over the menu with DB with care but, when it came to dessert, the rest of us got a menu to look over while DB was told he (server) would check with the chef as to what dessert(s) DB could choose from. Our desserts come out. We FINISH our desserts. Oh, look, here comes the server with something HE selected for DB. Now DB gets to eat his dessert while the rest of us watch him.

This first night, I just chalked it up to BEING the first night and figured that wouldn't happen again. I was wrong. Same thing happened on night #2. I was planning on saying something to the server when we were finished so that it wouldn't happen the next night, but the head server beat me to it. While DB was eating his dessert with the rest of us watching, I saw - out of the corner of my eye - the HS see our table and frown. He went over to the server and I heard him say "...all at the same time...." We got our desserts at the same time on night 3, 6, & 7 (we skipped the MDR on nights 4 & 5).

After having read all the "our server was amazing" stories, I was thinking it was just us. Honestly, on my next cruise, I may skip the MDRs on most nights (MUST go to animation show at AP!!) and just head to Cabanas. We got back on the ship a little too late for main seating on Costa Maya day (HAD to take showers before dinner! ) so the boys ordered room service and mom and I went to Cabanas where we had an AMAZING ribeye steak. We both agree that may have been our favorite meal of the trip.
Same cruise as us!

For future reference, when you have an allergy or dietary issue, you are to alert your TA, as you did, but he/she is then to alert Disney. Within a few days, you will then receive an email from the dietary specialty team at DCL, and upon boarding the ship, you are to present yourselves to whatever restaurant they tell you in email (it was Royal Court for our cruise), and once again, you sit down and go over your needs.

Then on the first night of serving, you alert your server team, including the head server (but they will probably already know), and then once again, you go over specific menu requests. It ensures that the right food is selected, and that the right timing of service is a priority.

I am sorry that you were not directed to the proper protocol in regards to your dietary concern. Our servers were awesome in working with us. They would bring us the next night's menu at dinner each night, so that we could pre-order our food and make sure there were suitable selections for us to consume.

As for Cabana's, we don't like it much at all. The meat seems to always be raw, and they have the same food over and over again, especially the crappy kids' food, yuck! Glad you enjoyed your steak! The best item we had there (and we only ate there 2 times) was a special order veggie sushi that hubby had the sushi chef prepare for me as a surprise as I love veggies, but am allergic to fish/seafood. Yummy!!

I hope your next cruise gives you a more suitable dining experience.

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Same cruise as us!

For future reference, when you have an allergy or dietary issue, you are to alert your TA, as you did, but he/she is then to alert Disney. Within a few days, you will then receive an email from the dietary specialty team at DCL, and upon boarding the ship, you are to present yourselves to whatever restaurant they tell you in email (it was Royal Court for our cruise), and once again, you sit down and go over your needs.

Then on the first night of serving, you alert your server team, including the head server (but they will probably already know), and then once again, you go over specific menu requests. It ensures that the right food is selected, and that the right timing of service is a priority.

I am sorry that you were not directed to the proper protocol in regards to your dietary concern. Our servers were awesome in working with us. They would bring us the next night's menu at dinner each night, so that we could pre-order our food and make sure there were suitable selections for us to consume.

As for Cabana's, we don't like much at all. The meat is always raw, and they have the same food over and over again, especially the crappy kids' food, yuck! Glad you enjoyed your steak!

I hope your next cruise gives you a more suitable dining experience.

Tiger
We did all of this, as well. We just didn't get a pre-cruise confirmation email from DCL's dietary team. Every night DB selected his food for the next night but he never got to look at the dessert menu.

On the very first night, my mom looked at me and said "is it just me or is he kind of snobby?" The crazy late dessert for DB wasn't the only issue. One night it was DB's salad he almost didn't get; another night it was the coffee my mom didn't get (and she didn't realize it until we were ready to go); another night DS had to ask for his popcorn soup and mom had to ask for her coffee... We left the standard tips for AS, Server & HS. I had gone in to the cruise prepared to tip extra but we REALLY didn't see the need to by the end (except to our stateroom host - he WAS awesome.) It really was a shame that we left with a meh kind of feeling about the MDRs.

Hmmmmm, in the sake of fairness, I think I need to book another cruise ASAP in the hopes of getting a fantastic team!

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

This was our experience in May, on the fifth cruise of the Fantasy. Our server had come from the Magic and already did not like it and had requested to go back. He told us it was too far from the galley to the tables.

Our asst server had been a server on another cruise line, so he was having a hard time adjusting to his new role. The service was sketchy at best but what do you do? They do not really allow for you to give them a true assessment on the comment card.
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014, CCL Liberty Oct 2014, Nov 2014 (B2B) RCCL Enchantment Nov 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
Tinknalli
DIS Veteran

Our servers on the Fantasy were great. Tiziana from Italy and asistant Steffan.
2/98 All Star Music, 5/00 Port Orleans, 01/05 All Star Movies, 04/07 Pop Century, 10/08 Port Orleans Riverside, 04/10 Port Orleans French Quarter, 04/12 Disney Fantasy and Port Orleans Riverside, 04/14 Pop Century and Disney Fantasy

Last edited by Tinknalli; 09-03-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Tinknalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #20
My4PhillyGirls
College Dad

We just got off the Fantasy on the August 25 - Septmeber 1, 2012 cruise and we had great servers

We had Curtis from Jamaica and Nicole from Trinidad. Our Head Server was Selo from Turkey and he visited our table of 14 every night. His name rhymed like "hello" so every night our table would say, "Hello Selo" and he would just smile

While speaking to our servers, they informed us that many of the new dining team members have cruise experience, but are new to DCL.

If we wanted to change our drinks which were waiting for us when we arrived, we just told them and they went and got it. Some of us changed our dinner request for things not on the menu and it was no problem. A few of us ordered two entrees each night with no problem.

We took pictures with them the last night and for the first time in five cruises, we got up early and went to our main dining room on the last morning just to spend a last meal with them.
Disney Dream - 5 Night 2CC August, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 7 Night Eastern August, 2012
Disney Dream - 3 Night Cat T September, 2013
Disney Fantasy - 7 Night Western August, 2014
Disney Fantasy - 7 Night Eastern w/ Tortola April, 2016
My4PhillyGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
PrincessBelle39
DIS Veteran

We were on the 18-25 August Fantasy Cruise and we loved our servers. Our Server was Sholt from Hungary, Assistant Server Maria from Grenada and Head Server was Cedomir. We were very lucky. Maria went above and beyond. She had only been working for Disney for 4 weeks and you would never have known.
September 2005 - Disneyland, Desert Palms Inn & Suites
August 1999 - Disneyland, Park Vue Inn
February 1996 - Disneyland, Carousel Inn
November 1994 - Disneyland Paris
PrincessBelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #22
McNabrat
First Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Sorry, I am not about sharing other peoples' names or personal info online without seeking their permission to do so.

Tiger
ok..thanks
Old 09-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #23
sue412
Earning My Ears

We were on the 8/4 sailing of the Fantasy and LOVED our servers.

Head server was Jaime from Portugal (very personable and friendly although he didn't "do" anything for us). And Andres from Columbia and Val from St. Lucia were our team. They were awesome! Did amazing magic tricks every night for our kids and even cut my son's meat!

Sue
sue412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #24
Phantomzkb
Earning My Ears

Has anyone had Stipe from Croatia on the Magic, he and his assistant Jimmy from China were wonderful.
Phantomzkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #25
CT Mom of 3
Mouseketeer

Our servers on the Fantasy were just "eh". We loved our guys on the Dream last summer and have pictures from the last dinner plus our debarkation breakfast - my kids loved them.

CT Mom of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #26
sandrakit
Mouseketeer

Artha ( Arthur ) or Kruno on the Dream & Delyan or Pierre on the Fantasy . All were fantastic , enjoy your cruise & you'll want to bring extra $$$ to add to your tip envelope as these workers are top notch . Be sure to call Disney Cruise line and request them ( both times my requests were met )
sandrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #27
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

We were on the Fantasy in July and had Javier and Sholt and they were beyond awesome Both were top notch and new to the cruise ship industry
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #28
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

very much so....i posted this story in the thread about the head servers last week:

Quote:
we had a similar situation with our server on our 8/18 WC on the Fantasy and it really ticked off my wife....

here's the thing: i put an extra 20% into the envelope besides the tip ticket....there were three of us (Me, wife 9YO DD) and the tip ticket was $84 and i put in another $15....the waiter was a nice girl but she did nothing exceptional- in fact the service was rather mediocre; we were ALWAYS the last ones out of the restaurant because of slow service and my wife and i were always struggling to get coffee after dessert...partly the waiters fault and a lot the assistant waiters fault...

we were friendly all week but unlike the other tables where the other waiters were doing card tricks, rope tricks, etc, our waiters did none of that...the prior three cruises we had exceptional service and the waiters were always doing cute things for my daughter to make her feel special- nothing on this cruise....in the past when I got exceptional service i've tipped the waiter $110 to $120...

the table next to us was a Greek family from NJ- their waiter brought them a big plate of freshly made Baklava on the last night....we struggled to get coffee to make the "See You Real Soon" show in time...

i gave her our envelope as we left Animators Palate Friday night and when we walked in Saturday morning for breakfast i knew instantaneously something was up the way she greeted us...she was very cold, in fact my wife called her attitude snotty...

i excused myself from the table to use the restroom after i ate and when i came back my wife said "how much did you tip her?"...i knew she had caught on....

my wife then went on to tell me she (waiter) hugged everyone at the adjoining table while my daughter was watching but did not come over to our table...my wife asked her if she would take a picture with my daughter and she reluctantly said "yes" then said "see ya" and walked off afterwards, not hugging my daugher...it irritated my wife and bothered me as my daughter is super sensitive and took a liking to the waitress...fortunately my daughter did not catch on....

as far as the head server i just gave him the tip ticket as he did nothing for us....in the past the head server would come over every night and see how we were doing, how our day went and gave us tips what to do and what to avoid at the next days port- i always appreciated that and tipped them accordingly....we rarely saw the head waiter this year...

ironically the asst waiter, who i gave an extra $5 to, was overjoyed...

in the past i've requested waiters who had worked our table on repeat cruises....we are scheduled on another cruise next August and I will most assuredly make sure we don't get the same waiter upon arrival...
today i filled out the email survey DCL sent me and told them the entire situation...we presently have reservations on the 8/10 EC next year and i will make sure we don't have the same waiters upon embarkation...

Last edited by Zeppelin; 09-03-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #29
lakerz5
"but I wanna go on my cruise now...."

thanks so much for the replies

Wow...thanks for all the replies..I was just looking at our Med Cruise photos and we'd taken pics with our servers as we had on our previous cruises. This time was just awful..if you want names, just pm. I never felt like it was just "us". We don't have any special requests, just was so disappointed...guess we weren't alone. We were just jealous watching everyone else interact with their servers. We did like the "head" guy this time....the one that comes around to everyone's table. He was very nice, but when the butter knife was dropped off the plate (with butter) onto my semi formal dress the night after the coke was dropped in my son's lap...even he was..."you want this cleaned now? We can clean it now! and I was more like...uhmm. I'd rather try to do it myself only bc it had some beading on it and i wanted to try and wear it the rest of the evening since I liked it. He did try to help, but it was almost pushy as though he was so panicked we would complain on the comment card..he wanted my dress now...lol

ABD 12/09 Backstage Magic.DCL Med 5/10
DCL 7/09 (20th anniversary cruise),7/08,5/07
Disneyland 5/06,11/05 (happy birthday! ), 5/05 & too many to count
Grand Californian 5/06,11/05 5/05
Paradise Pier 5/06
Sheraton Vistana Villages & Orange Lake Resort 7/09
Nickelodeon Hotel 7/08,5/07, 5/03
WDW 5/03, 04/89 honeymoon
lakerz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #30
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerz5 View Post
Wow...thanks for all the replies..I was just looking at our Med Cruise photos and we'd taken pics with our servers as we had on our previous cruises. This time was just awful..if you want names, just pm. I never felt like it was just "us". We don't have any special requests, just was so disappointed...guess we weren't alone. We were just jealous watching everyone else interact with their servers. We did like the "head" guy this time....the one that comes around to everyone's table. He was very nice, but when the butter knife was dropped off the plate (with butter) onto my semi formal dress the night after the coke was dropped in my son's lap...even he was..."you want this cleaned now? We can clean it now! and I was more like...uhmm. I'd rather try to do it myself only bc it had some beading on it and i wanted to try and wear it the rest of the evening since I liked it. He did try to help, but it was almost pushy as though he was so panicked we would complain on the comment card..he wanted my dress now...lol
we are a very low maintenance family...i'm the type that, if they screw up my order i'll just deal with it rather than make someone feel bad....we had two special requests; my daughter doesn't like cheese sauce on the pasta so we asked for butter and pasta and hard boiled eggs for her on the final morning...

i initially thought it was the law of averages as the prior three cruises we've had incredible service and have requested repeat servers....maybe DCL is cutting corners or things are strung tight with four boats...
Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: