Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sWDW4me View Post
Thank goodness for this thread! I was afraid it was me rather than poor servers.

We were on the 8/18-25 Fantasy. Our server was ok but he always seemed a bit arrogant and was usually busy scanning the room and/or other tables even while he was talking to us. Our assistant server was good but I don't always want a Sprite... sometimes I want a Coke or just water with dinner. I didn't like that he automatically brought out the drink that I had ordered on our first night (I know that's standard practice and not something that he did on his own so I'm not blaming him, personally).

Our head server did stop by very briefly a few times but he actually did help with a problem before I talked to him about it: my youngest brother (16) has a tree nut allergy. He can be around them but his airway closes if he even just puts a nut in his mouth. I had our TA note this on our reservation and we mentioned it to our server on the first night. Our server went over the menu with DB with care but, when it came to dessert, the rest of us got a menu to look over while DB was told he (server) would check with the chef as to what dessert(s) DB could choose from. Our desserts come out. We FINISH our desserts. Oh, look, here comes the server with something HE selected for DB. Now DB gets to eat his dessert while the rest of us watch him.

This first night, I just chalked it up to BEING the first night and figured that wouldn't happen again. I was wrong. Same thing happened on night #2. I was planning on saying something to the server when we were finished so that it wouldn't happen the next night, but the head server beat me to it. While DB was eating his dessert with the rest of us watching, I saw - out of the corner of my eye - the HS see our table and frown. He went over to the server and I heard him say "...all at the same time...." We got our desserts at the same time on night 3, 6, & 7 (we skipped the MDR on nights 4 & 5).

After having read all the "our server was amazing" stories, I was thinking it was just us. Honestly, on my next cruise, I may skip the MDRs on most nights (MUST go to animation show at AP!!) and just head to Cabanas. We got back on the ship a little too late for main seating on Costa Maya day (HAD to take showers before dinner! ) so the boys ordered room service and mom and I went to Cabanas where we had an AMAZING ribeye steak. We both agree that may have been our favorite meal of the trip.
Same cruise as us!

For future reference, when you have an allergy or dietary issue, you are to alert your TA, as you did, but he/she is then to alert Disney. Within a few days, you will then receive an email from the dietary specialty team at DCL, and upon boarding the ship, you are to present yourselves to whatever restaurant they tell you in email (it was Royal Court for our cruise), and once again, you sit down and go over your needs.

Then on the first night of serving, you alert your server team, including the head server (but they will probably already know), and then once again, you go over specific menu requests. It ensures that the right food is selected, and that the right timing of service is a priority.

I am sorry that you were not directed to the proper protocol in regards to your dietary concern. Our servers were awesome in working with us. They would bring us the next night's menu at dinner each night, so that we could pre-order our food and make sure there were suitable selections for us to consume.

As for Cabana's, we don't like it much at all. The meat seems to always be raw, and they have the same food over and over again, especially the crappy kids' food, yuck! Glad you enjoyed your steak! The best item we had there (and we only ate there 2 times) was a special order veggie sushi that hubby had the sushi chef prepare for me as a surprise as I love veggies, but am allergic to fish/seafood. Yummy!!

I hope your next cruise gives you a more suitable dining experience.

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: