Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #211
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
What's weird for the Princess is that it's more expensive on the way home, the week after vacation for our area.

For both races I'm looking at Flying down on Thursday and back on Monday. I know Monday is not the best day to fly but if I do the Princess I don't want to run Sunday morning and fly that day, that would be bad.
Might have to though, we'll see.

I'm still looking though.
Jetblue
Southwest
USair
Expedia

I just hate the cost of flying!! So far the least expensive I can get is $650 for the 2 of us.
Tuesday is definitely a cheaper day to fly back but it doesn't always work very well. We are flying back on Monday after W&D and in October and it took me a while to find a flight I could live with. For w&d we are driving to a nearby airport (about an hour away) and I found flights for 225 each. In October we are flying from here, but I ended up paying a little closer to 300 each (which I wasn't too happy with). When I first started looking, both days only had flights available over $350 each.

Have you tried looking at one airline down and a different one back? That has worked well for us in the past. Booking one way tickets takes a little longer, but sometimes it's to your advantage. We mostly fly delta, usair or southwest. The other thing, is there an early, early, early morning Tuesday flight that would be cheaper? You could even look at staying near the airport Monday night. You can take ME to the airport. The hotel shuttle to the hotel and then back to the airport in the morning. It sounds like a lot of work but if it gets me an extra full day of vacation and costs less, it is worth it. I try to look at it as a game--how low can I go (with airline ticket prices)?
Old 08-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #212
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

Ahhhh! I'm a little scared but I just signed for my 1st 5K!!! It looks like a lot of fun. It's the color vibe run in Rochester NY on 9/1. Since I don't want to suffer alone, I signed up the whole family!!
pix13dust is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #213
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Good Luck Maria on your RnR Race tomorrow!! I hope it is lots of fun!

That's exciting Melinda! I am thinking a color run is a great first race, because it's definitely more about the experience and less about how fast you go--so there will be none of that pressure to go out too fast.

I hope everyone else is doing well.

This is a cutback week for us--hurray!--so we ran 6 miles this morning. Next week is a cutback week too, and then on 9/3 we will go 14. I did great with my workouts this week, but I am really looking forward to a day off tomorrow. I am feeling a little overwhelmed with this whole marathon training thing, cause I am already feeling a little beat up, but I am trying to take it one workout at a time.

After Labor Day I think we will try to start up with questions of the week again on Sundays or Mondays. Hopefully more people will be around to chime in. I am up for sharing the duty if anyone wants to help out.

Have a great weekend!
Old 08-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #214
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

Hells Bells! I made it to the first page just finished week 3 of training ( still on week one of C25K ) and I think we will do week one of C25K just one more time. Week one is so much fun I just can't give it up, lol. Hope everyone has a great weekend!!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #215
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Melinda! Sounds like you are doing great. I like the C25K because you progress rather quickly. One week you are sure you are going to die and the next you are amazed at what you can do. It's nice to that you can get the whole family involved.

Congratulations to Maria on her Providence Rock n' Roll Half finish today! Can't wait to read your race report.

Buffy, the airfare game is a toughie. You can also sign up for text updates through Kayak. Some of the folks on my Med cruise next summer have received texts in the middle of the night and snagged deals on flights. Have your kids started school yet this year? It is time for you!

Rose, I'll be happy to post a question every once in awhile. Just plug me into the schedule where you need someone. Since our Disney race schedules are the same I know you won't pick one of those weeks.

I'm not currently doing any speedwork for this half. The speedwork is in between this half and the W&D. There may be some between the W&D and the Donald, too. Haven't looked at that part of the schedule lately. I'm trying to live more in the present so I don't look too far ahead.

For those of you who might be interested one of our long time WISH folks, Panda Dave, aka windwalker is doing a training for WISHers who want to increase their walking efficiency. Here is a link to the first thread. http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...05&postcount=1 I don't know that I will ever race walk but anything I can do to increase the efficiency of my walking will help my run/walk/run I know.

I did 10 miles yesterday at the indoor track. No tummy issues! And I felt pretty good so I call it a success. I've had to move my runs around a bit with being on vacation so next week it is 13 miles and then my favorite part of training . . . TAPER!

Keep up the good work!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #216
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Not yet Lisa the little kids start Monday the 27th, DS16 doesn't start until Thursday the 30th.
We have almost everything for uniforms and DS16 has lunch money for 2 months.
DD got her new back pack in the mail a few days ago, she's sooo excited!!
I just need to get 2 binders and we are are set to go.

I'm ready for them to go back. We have been going full tilt between summer conditioning, camps, AP homework, etc. I need a break!!!

I went to the dentist the other day and it was the first time all summer I was completely alone! I've never loved my dentist more than that day! LOL
Old 08-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #217
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

Finally finished week 1 of C25K! Yeah, it only took 4 weeks, hehe. On to week 2. My legs are so sore, it is going to take some time to get them in shape. Spent most of the day school supply shopping, that takes the focus off my sore legs and puts it on my wallet, lol! Hope everyone is enjoying the summer . Can't wait for my color vibe 5K on Saturday!!
Old 09-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #218
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix13dust View Post
Finally finished week 1 of C25K! Yeah, it only took 4 weeks, hehe. On to week 2. My legs are so sore, it is going to take some time to get them in shape. Spent most of the day school supply shopping, that takes the focus off my sore legs and puts it on my wallet, lol! Hope everyone is enjoying the summer . Can't wait for my color vibe 5K on Saturday!!
Good luck to you running your first 5K today!

Looking forward to hearing how it went!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #219
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

Just finished the 5K!! I did great! So did the whole family. I was so nervous for nothing the color vibe race was so much fun.
I'm going to attempt to post some pic's.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #220
acename
DIS Veteran

Hi everybody.

I just joined the Biggest loser thread and thought I'd ask for some advice over here. But first...

Name Alex
Screen Name: acename
Birthday: June 18th
Upcoming races: none so far, that's what I need advice about
Completed races: None
Anything else you want to share: I'm 27 and married SAHM of two kids. I was really active in high school, but haven't been since I got married. I just finished week 3 of c25k and I'm addicted to running now. I love it!
Fav running shoe: I don't have any yet. Right now I'm just wearing some New Balances that I've had forever. I really need to get fitted.

Like I said, I'm about to start week 4 of c25k. I live in a rural area and there aren't races that often around here. I was planning on signing up for a 5k on December 1st. It's the first one available near me that's after I finished the program. There's another race September 29th that's more of a family race and seems less intense than the December one if that makes sense. I think I would feel more comfortable with it for a first race. However, I won't be finished with the c25k program yet. Would you sign up for it anyway? Thanks for any advice.
acename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #221
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

Hi Alex! I am NOT qualified to give advise, however, I will say I just finished my 1st race today and I can't stop smiling. So far I have only completed week 1 of C25k, we ran / walked the 5K as did A LOT of other people so I didn't feel out of place or under trained at all. Just go for it
Old 09-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #222
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acename View Post

Like I said, I'm about to start week 4 of c25k. I live in a rural area and there aren't races that often around here. I was planning on signing up for a 5k on December 1st. It's the first one available near me that's after I finished the program. There's another race September 29th that's more of a family race and seems less intense than the December one if that makes sense. I think I would feel more comfortable with it for a first race. However, I won't be finished with the c25k program yet. Would you sign up for it anyway? Thanks for any advice.
Yes you can, as long as you feel comfortable doing it. I was only about 1/2 way through C25K when I did the Everest Challenge.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #223
DorkyDisneyMom
I will have to look tomorrow to see if my neighbors posted about me
I just don't like to do it by myself

Just joined the Fall Challenge so I thought I would check in here as well.

I just started with the Jeff Galloway Easy 5k app on my phone. I was doing c25k but my shin splints were really bad and the longer periods of running we're making it hard.

I turn 40 next year and am thinking about doing the Disneyland Half. My kids really want to see Carsland and we haven't been in a few years. I love Disneyland. It's a good excuse to go. I also would love to do something that no one would expect me to ever do. I'm not athletic and I never really have been. I think it will be my way of saying, "Take that 40!"

If I can stay healthy and keep my shins under control that will be the plan.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #224
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Happy September!
We were out of town for a bit, but I don't know about everyone else but it is time for me to get serious about the couple of pounds I put back on and about my running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix13dust View Post
Just finished the 5K!! I did great! So did the whole family. I was so nervous for nothing the color vibe race was so much fun.
Great pictures! Congratulations! I think that was a perfect first race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acename View Post
Hi everybody.

I just joined the Biggest loser thread and thought I'd ask for some advice over here. But first...

Name Alex
Screen Name: acename
Birthday: June 18th
Upcoming races: none so far, that's what I need advice about
Completed races: None
Anything else you want to share: I'm 27 and married SAHM of two kids. I was really active in high school, but haven't been since I got married. I just finished week 3 of c25k and I'm addicted to running now. I love it!
Fav running shoe: I don't have any yet. Right now I'm just wearing some New Balances that I've had forever. I really need to get fitted.

Here is my opinion. Can you comfortably walk 3 miles now? And by comfortably, I mean, are you very sore afterwards? Are you huffing and puffing at the end? If you can comfortably walk three miles then I say go for it. I did not do c25k so I don't know what the week 4 intervals are, but you can always tweak them. The point of a progressive program is to get you in shape and avoid injuries--which come from going out too fast too far at the beginning, so as long as you listen to your body, I don't think it is unreasonable to do a 5k at this point.

You will eventually get to the point where you will think nothing of going 3 miles, but if it still seems like a "long" distance then take it easy and have a goal of to finish. It's your first race, so it is a PR no matter what.

Let me know if you sign up and I will add you to the first page.

--And get some good shoes as soon as you can. Injuries sneak up on you and you don't want to spend time fighting off something that can be prevented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyDisneyMom View Post
Just joined the Fall Challenge so I thought I would check in here as well.

I just started with the Jeff Galloway Easy 5k app on my phone. I was doing c25k but my shin splints were really bad and the longer periods of running we're making it hard.

I turn 40 next year and am thinking about doing the Disneyland Half. My kids really want to see Carsland and we haven't been in a few years. I love Disneyland. It's a good excuse to go. I also would love to do something that no one would expect me to ever do. I'm not athletic and I never really have been. I think it will be my way of saying, "Take that 40!"

If I can stay healthy and keep my shins under control that will be the plan.
Welcome! I'm sorry about the shin splints. Are you religiously stretching your calves? Are you icing after every run? Have you had your shoes checked? Shin splints are not fun. I avoided them this time around (been running since 2010) by cross training, stretching and trying to avoid runs too many days in a row. But in the past I have had some nasty issues. I hope you are back to normal soon!

So did anyone end up running the DL half? That's on my Wish list, but until we stop traveling for fall football games and the w&d I don't know if I will squeeze it in.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #225
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Welcome to September!

Like I mentioned before, time to start getting serious about these fall races coming up. While I would not say I was a total slacker this summer, I have put on a few pounds, and have been finding myself "rearranging" way too many runs lately. I have a 5k in September, W&D in November, and the Mickey in January to train for so time to kick it into gear.

I thought we would start doing a QOTW--maybe normally on Sunday? If anyone would like to take a week please let me know.

So to get September off to a good start.....

Question of the Week--September 2, 2012
What are your goals--fitness and weight loss--for the fall? Do you have a plan to achieve these goals? Did you put it in writing? Is it a specific plan or a vague plan? Share what you would like with the group.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: