Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

"I will never go to WDW in Summer" A lesson in eating my words TR 8/21-17 at the Poly

That is correct! I have said it a million times. I have been fortunate enough to tour WDW during slower seasons but this year we had a small window of opportunity to go before school started so I decided that 4 nights in summer was better than NO nights at all!

So first let me give a little back story.....

Cast of Characters

First there is me the Mom and wife and planner of our Disney trips.

Then DH, he was introduced to Disney in his late 30s. Our first trip sucked him in. He is usually behind a video camera on our trips except for this trip where I suggested he leave the camera at home and enjoy our short holiday at the mouse house!

Last but most certainly not least...DD an 11 year old tween who is totally obsessed with One Direction and plays travel soccer and softball. She is our one and only so hence the true princess of the family

Our first trip to Disney was in 2007. We arrived late September and stayed for 6 nights. For all three of us it was our first trip to WDW so it was very exciting and magical We stayed at the Poly and fell in love with the resort as well. We became true addicts!

Our first trip in Fall of 2007

We have been fortunate enough to take a trip almost every year since, with the exception of 2010. Our first few trips, when DD was younger we did the DDP and went to every Character meal and experienced BBB, the Pirate league and touring galore for DD who was a few months shy of 7 on our first trip, a month shy of 8 on our December/holiday trip and then almost 9 on our third trip. It was the 2009 trip that we saw a change in DD and how her growing up was changing her interests in how we toured WDW. She was no longer fearful of some of the signature rides and her interest in the Princess was waning.

By our 2009 trip we were touring pros and I decided to start planning our trips without the use of a TA. DH was no fond of the dining plan with the scheduled meals and having to plan 6 months in advance At the end of our December 2008 trip DD became very sick and a really nice CM took pity on us and offered us a room in the Hawaii building for the last two nights of our stay since we were room bound with a feverish child. I honestly was not too familiar with Club level and the Hawaii building but I quickly leaned to love it. We spent our last few days of our vacation with a spectacular view of the MK and we able to watch fireworks from the room and DH and I could take turns getting food or drinks from the lounge or Captain Cooks. The nice CMs name was Stephanie, who gave us this fabulous and I will never forget her. That December trip was our big holiday 8 night extravaganza! We were able to end it on a magical note for which I will always be thankful for

So this led us to Club level and we now find CL to be perfect for our way of touring. Since we are not huge foodies and like a small breakfast and usually make lunch our big meal of the day. Plus we usually go during F&W and frankly I could stay in Epcot from open to close and eat and drink my way around the world. As a matter of fact, I think we even did it a few times! Even DD really enjoyed F&W last October.

So we are the textbook Disney suckers Except for our first trip we have been fortunate to get awesome PIN codes or booked bounce back before we leave.

SO let me get to this trip! After a very busy summer of DD playing soccer and Softball and DH working his rear off he suggested that we take a quick trip before DD goes back to school. I was ambivalent because I really wanted to go in October! Our friends were also going to be there at the same time. Friends that we met on the DIS and had the pleasure of spending time with last October during our stay. So while selfishly (I am not afraid to admit my shortcomings) disappointed I rebooked for 8-17 to 8-21. I knew that DH in the end was not going to be able to get our original dates off from work and he knew it too. We also needed some family time together. DD would be starting 6th grade and that cute little toothless first grader on our first Disney trip was now a moody tween that was becoming very independent. Spending time with Mom and Dad was not a priority

So with a good discount from the BB rates and finding some decent airfare we had re-booked a little over a month before departure date. A new record for me! DD quickly put together a countdown calender! Thankfully one tradition that has stayed constant Beyond missing our friends, F&W and MNSSHP we got geared up for Disney.

Before you know it, it was the night before departure!

12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

Old 09-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
BellaBaby
DIS Veteran

Subbing!
Now that the kiddos are back in school, I'm feeling like I need a Disney fix and I'm getting it from trip reports! We just stayed at the Poly in June for the first time and loved it as well. My oldest DD is 11 and I know what you mean about this "tween" time! It's amazing how fast they grow up and I do miss the "princess" years and touring is a bit different now; BUT all 3 of my kids still LOVE WDW as I'm sure your DD does, so at least there's still hope for us Disney addicts!! We got the bug back in 2003 and I don't know how we are going to ever see the rest of this country as our vacation plans always include Disney!!

Looking forward to hearing more!!

Me and DH DD (13) DD (11) DS (9)

4/03 ASMO/CBR 4/05 HOJO'S DL 4/07 NICK HOTEL/WH 4-5/09 NICK HOTEL/WH 6/10 WH 5-6/11 HOJO'S DL 6/12 WH/AKV/POLY 5-6/13WH 5-6/14 HOJO'S DL 8/14 CSR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
DebbyLof428
DIS Veteran

Ok, I'm here and waiting for more
Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Angel16
Member of the 'Jambo! WildBunch'
Mouseketeer

Great start, we love the Poly and have been able to enjoy the club level there. Looking forward to your trip report Teri.

Angel16
Old 09-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

more more more!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 09-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
rgoble5972
Are we there yet?

I LOVE the Polynesian. Can't wait to hear more.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

UGH! So I am finally trying to get the TR started and photobucket is down!

I am typing it up on a word doc and hopefully can add the pics later!

Stay tuned...I promise to TRY and post an update....

Edit*** photobucket is killing me today! To be continued tomorrow
12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

Last edited by BreezysMom; 09-03-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
TheNewMrsB
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to read more - I hope Photobucket finally starts cooperating!

October 1998 - First Visit
September 2008 - Honeymoon, Polynesian
September 2009, 2010, 2012 - Anniversary, Polynesian
December 2012 & 2014 - at the Polynesian
Old 09-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Judgey Judgerson
Eating My Ears

I've only been to WDW twice (so far) and I think I've declared that I WOULD NEVER go in the summer at least 17 times...I'm excited to read your report (and who am I kidding, like I would ever turn down a chance to go back to Mickey's House..)

First Trip Ever! Coronado Springs Oct. 2011 | Forcing My Mom and Sister to Love Disney Too, Caribbean Beach Resort Jan. 2012 | Happy Thanksgiving Merry Early Christmas, Pop Century Nov. 2012

2012 Dining PTR: 6 Adults, 2 Kids, 3 States, 1 Holiday, and a lot of Disney Dining
Old 09-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

OK, well just went on Photobucket and noticed they totally updated their site! I would like to thank them for informing users that their upgrade may cause problems

So anyways, the good news is I am not going crazy, there was a reason for my difficulties yesterday. The site is working good now so I just need to plug in some pics and we will get this TR going
12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

Old 09-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
wuzzy6
Mom to the Fab 4

Subbing! Can't wait to read more!

FL Native and habitual day-tripper: since 1971; Apr 2002: PO-R; Mar 2014: CSR ; Apr 2014: WL; May 2014: PO-R and FW-cabin; Aug 2014: YC CL+DxDP; What's next?!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

Arrival Day! FINALLY

**Forgive the craziness of photo sizes. Photobucket is having major issues....but without further delay!

Amazingly enough we all slept really well the night before departure. Since the car service was picking us up at 5:30am we needed to get up very early so the three of us sacked out at about 9pm on Monday night. The suitcases were packed and by the front door and all we needed was to put some last minute items in our bags and we were ready to go. The alarm went off at 4:30am and we all popped out of bed and got ready to go. I checked our flight status and all was good there

We were flying Southwest. We had flown SW for the first time our trip last October and other than the nasty 3+ hour delay to get home because of the freak snowstorm on the East coast messing with a lot of flights, our experience with SW was fairly seamless. We paid for Early Bird Check in because it is one less thing to stress about the day before leaving having to check in at the 24 hour mark.

Our car came right on time, we loaded our luggage and off to the airport we went. Surprising enough there was more traffic on the road than I expected that early in the morning but we had plenty of time for our 7:20am flight. Admittedly I am a horrible flyer. It goes back to my teen years of having to make an emergency landing in Indiana when I was 17 years old on a flight from Denver to Chicago and then a month later that same flight number United 232 crashed in Iowa. It still haunts me to this day So I need to medicate before I fly.

Thankfully, this trip I was less anxious than usual. Now it is just getting through the whole security thing that causes me a lot of stress. So this time we made sure we had very little to carry on. One small carry on suitcase with a change of clothes for the three of us along and our bathing suits and PJs for the night, just in case our luggage gets lost or ME is delayed. I of course had my big monster purse that holds 30 pounds of junk and DD had her backpack. We did not even do the 3-1-1 baggie as I just packed everything and checked it. I try to limit the stress of security as much as possible. But alas, even at the crack of dawn and our pre planning we still had a stressful time getting past TSA yet again! I say yet again as DD set off the sensor both ways last October and while it was not that big of a deal it just was a bit frustrating at the time.

DH always goes through first because he wants to make sure he can get our bags and valuables, i.e. monster purse with my jewelry, iPads and wallets! TDD always goes in between us and thankfully she does not have to take off her shoes as she is only 11.

So here we are at 6am in the morning, there were not that many people but there were roughly about five or six people ahead of us in our line including DH and they all went on through without any issue. Then it is DDs turn to go through and I hear it BUZZZ The poor thing looked like she was going to cry. There was a female TSA agent there and she asked how old DD was and I told her so she called out "minor check" to some guy. So he comes over to me and again asked me how old she was. I said 11 and he said well then we need to inspect your bag then. Well DH had already cleared our three bags off the belt and was on the other side on a bench putting his shoes on. I explained that DH must have grabbed our bags and then he proceeds to demand I get my bag and mind you, I was being super nice and compliant, Then he tells me DD can move through. Well ummmm, she is 11 and I am not sure where her father is so can you give me a minute to locate him and my bag so you can inspect it? He was being a bit snippy and asked for me to locate my bag. Now I am getting peeved but keeping a smile on my face as to not annoy the agent any further. I finally see DH who is looking for us and ask him to bring my purse.

Finally the initial TSA lady comes over and asked what the issue was and he told her that I would not produce my purse. NOW WAIT A MINUTE I explained to lady what exactly was the issue. She asked DD where were going and she answered that we were going to Disney and she said to say hi to Mickey and sent us on our way with a smile

Thank goodness for her because my lack of breakfast and need for coffee could have caused me to lose my graciousness quickly. God bless the TSA for keeping us safe but it truly has become more stressful for me than the flight because of issues like this. Like I said she set off alarms both ways last trip too Next trip, I am going through first and DH can be the wing man!

Annual Daddy/Daughter Airport picture. DH has this thing where he needs to display his Chicago pride when we travel hence his Bears t-shirt which actually garnered a "DA BEARS" as we walked by the pool. LOL

Finally we get to the gate, DD and I get us some breakfast at McDs and before you know it we were boarding the plane. We actually were like the first people in line so we were going to get the pick of seats so we chose the bulkhead which was nice to have all the leg room and also meant we would be first off the plane. We were well in the air by our actual departure time which is another nice thing about SW. If the plane is full, then off we go. We landed at MCO and made our way to the ME boarding area!!

On the airport “monorail” where DH always feels the need to say “por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas”. The people on the car with us were amused and I of coursed rolled my eyes!

So as we approached the ME area I was surprised to see that it was virtually empty. After the ME attendant checked us in we walked down the lane to our bus and it was loading! I was sure that they would stop us just as we got to the head of the line but we were actually the last three people on the bus! Not long after we took our seats we were off to the Poly! The bus driver was cryptic and did not tell us what resort we were going to first which was a first for us. But I did not care, it was only about 11:20 and we were making great time!

DD and I on ME on our way to the Poly

Yay! We are getting close!!

We did end up going to the WL first and over half of the bus unloaded there. I took joy in this because selfishly I did not want that whole bus of people checking into the Poly because while it will never happen, I still want the place all to myself. After everyone unloaded, we departed and I knew from past experience that the Poly was next. Sure enough a few short minutes later we saw our second home!

Now this is where it is funny! We were the ONLY people to unload at the Poly! It was like a dream come true considering that the bus was full. There was a lot of activity in front of the resort so we just made our way inside and there was a gentleman standing there with an arm full of leis. I of course was giddy with excitement! I don’t care how many times I walk in that lobby I just love it! We all got our leis and started to walk to the Hawaii building.

We always like to walk to Hawaii instead of being driven in the cart. We had minimal carry on luggage and we like to take the whole resort in while we make our way to Hawaii. So we walk into the Hawaii building and the CM Maria says “You must be the X ‘Ohana?” I said, yes we are and asked her how did she know? Well, apparently the CL CM greeter outside saw us get off the ME bus, I guess being the only family coming off that bus she knew who we were and she said we just walked past her and headed into the lobby so she figured we knew were we were going. DH and I were laughing at this! She tried to flag us down but we were on a mission!

We are home

I sat down with Maria while she started to check me in and DH and DD headed up to the lounge to use the bathroom and get a snack. They knew Maria, the CL CM (who was 9 months pregnant and working her last day before she was off for maternity leave) and I would be chatting because that is what I do

UP NEXT! The mother load of Pixie dust! And...you would be amazed how much you can do on your first day at Disney!
12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
HeyIt'sMe
For Tag Fairy's Use only
That weed whacker just intimidates me somethin' fierce!

Subbing!

You sound alot like us -- it's me, DH and our one-and-only DD. She turned 15 and started sophomore year of HS last month. We've been to WDW many times starting from when she was 3. Yes, they do grow up fast. She still likes to meet some of the characters -- she loves the Alice in Wonderland characters. It was so cute because she told me a few years ago that she had figured out the characters weren't real many years before she admitted it. She said she didn't have the heart to let me know because I'd get so excited when the characters were around and she didn't want to burst my bubble. Well, I was just acting excited for her benefit - maybe I went overboard?. Ha!

OMG the Poly - we love it too! We haven't stayed CL yet but will one day!

We usually go to WDW in October (over Fall Break but DD misses 1-2 days of school too) but I have contemplated a trip in the summer as DD gets older and takes more challenging HS classes. I am really anxious to hear how your trip went!

1970s - Contemporary: Nov 1975
1980s - Offsite: Jun 1985
1990s - Polynesian: Oct 1991, Oct 1993

2000s - Polynesian: Sep 2000, Oct 2001, Sep 2002, Oct 2003, Oct 2004, Oct 2006, Oct 2008
2010s - Polynesian: Oct 2010, Oct 2011, Oct 2012, Oct 2013 / Grand Floridian: Oct 2014
Planning Next Trip: Polynesian: Oct 2015
Old 09-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyIt'sMe View Post
Subbing!

You sound alot like us -- it's me, DH and our one-and-only DD. She turned 15 and started sophomore year of HS last month. We've been to WDW many times starting from when she was 3. Yes, they do grow up fast. She still likes to meet some of the characters -- she loves the Alice in Wonderland characters. It was so cute because she told me a few years ago that she had figured out the characters weren't real many years before she admitted it. She said she didn't have the heart to let me know because I'd get so excited when the characters were around and she didn't want to burst my bubble. Well, I was just acting excited for her benefit - maybe I went overboard?. Ha!

OMG the Poly - we love it too! We haven't stayed CL yet but will one day!

We usually go to WDW in October (over Fall Break but DD misses 1-2 days of school too) but I have contemplated a trip in the summer as DD gets older and takes more challenging HS classes. I am really anxious to hear how your trip went!
We always go in October and I am so going to miss it this year. But I am thankful for the trip we had

DD was really not into the characters this trip but I think regretted that once home but I think only being there for 4 nights and the fact that things were busier than we are used to, she decided that she would rather spend her time doing other things.
12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

Old 09-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #15
wuzzy6
Mom to the Fab 4

I don't know how you kept your cool going through security like that. I am usually pretty good at dealing with stressful situations, but I'm not sure I would have maintained my composure had I been accused of "not producing" something. Good for you!!!

Also, like you, I'm a horrible flyer! It stems from a return flight from Las Vegas a couple of weeks post-9/11 - aborted landing over Houston during a storm, and it ruined me. I'm glad you had an uneventful flight!!!

Can't wait to read more!

FL Native and habitual day-tripper: since 1971; Apr 2002: PO-R; Mar 2014: CSR ; Apr 2014: WL; May 2014: PO-R and FW-cabin; Aug 2014: YC CL+DxDP; What's next?!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: