Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #31
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

What is the difference between a picky eater and a problem eater?

Seriously, all, my heart goes out to you who are dealing with this, I know it can't be easy, and I've had no experience with this whatsoever, my dd will eat anything, and always has.

Not trying to flame anyone at all though, (or be flamed) just trying to understand, because I have friends and their kids have issues. At least with my friends, it seems like kids have absolutely NO problem eating all the fun stuff, the mac n cheese, hot dogs, and of course snacks and goodies. Just when it comes to what I call "real food"...they don't want to eat it. One friend's son would only eat frozen waffles and Kraft. And that was all he ate. We went to a beach house with them one summer and had to run out several times to get those big boxes of frozen waffles because he would eat them morning, noon and night. Hey, I'd like to do that too. C'mon, is this really healthy for the kid, or just avoiding a battle?

How/when does the line get drawn between having some medical issue, or just wanting to eat only what you want to eat? It was especially hard for my dd, who was younger at the time, but was expected to eat dinner with us, eat what we gave her and then be "treated" with a dessert later, when this little boy got to eat his waffle with butter and syrup and then still got his ice cream. Another time, his sister didn't/wouldn't eat dinner, but we all had to cut an activity short, go home for her to eat - and you know what she ate? Hot chocolate and potato chips with dip! Just not buying into any kind of "sensory" issues with these kids - I think mom just gave up. JMO.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #32
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
There was a similar thread on a similar subject: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2935259

Have a read thru it since the OP has since sailed and shared their on board experiences in the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by love280mickey View Post

Seriously, all, my heart goes out to you who are dealing with this, I know it can't be easy, and I've had no experience with this whatsoever, my dd will eat anything, and always has.

Not trying to flame anyone at all though, (or be flamed) just trying to understand, because I have friends and their kids have issues. At least with my friends, it seems like kids have absolutely NO problem eating all the fun stuff, the mac n cheese, hot dogs, and of course snacks and goodies. Just when it comes to what I call "real food"...they don't want to eat it. One friend's son would only eat frozen waffles and Kraft. And that was all he ate. We went to a beach house with them one summer and had to run out several times to get those big boxes of frozen waffles because he would eat them morning, noon and night. Hey, I'd like to do that too. C'mon, is this really healthy for the kid, or just avoiding a battle?

How/when does the line get drawn between having some medical issue, or just wanting to eat only what you want to eat? It was especially hard for my dd, who was younger at the time, but was expected to eat dinner with us, eat what we gave her and then be "treated" with a dessert later, when this little boy got to eat his waffle with butter and syrup and then still got his ice cream. Another time, his sister didn't/wouldn't eat dinner, but we all had to cut an activity short, go home for her to eat - and you know what she ate? Hot chocolate and potato chips with dip! Just not buying into any kind of "sensory" issues with these kids - I think mom just gave up. JMO.
Read thru the thread that I posted earlier in this thread and have quoted for you here. It's full of info on the 'problem' eaters that have sensory issues. I had my DD read the thread, since she's worked with very young children and hadn't heard of this issue.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #33
SoCaOC-Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just not buying into any kind of "sensory" issues with these kids - I think mom just gave up. JMO.
When actual trained therapists and medical professionals acknowledge the disorder, I think it sounds really ignorant and judgmental to make comments like the one you just did. JMO

On reading your post a second time, it looks like you might have been just talking about the two children of your friend and not all children in general, if that is the case maybe you are right. IDK anything about the two children of your friends.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Last edited by SoCaOC-Mom; 09-02-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #34
karyn0995
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I'll give you a brief overview on our family...but would never try to say this is the situation for all families dealing with sensory issues.

Unfortunately our son's story began in an Eastern European orphanage where everything and anything involving NURTURing and NOURISHing was severely lacking. His "bottles" contained tea, not formula or milk or anything we would consider nutritionally beneficial or even tasty to an infant or child. He was not introduced to solid foods until our family was formed....way beyond the typical age a child is given finger foods.

Thankfully the lack of nutrition only impacted his physical size (he's quite a bit smaller than other kids his age) and and not his learning, personality or other physical abilities. But getting him to eat food other than what I originally listed is a HUGE huge deal. He recently began food therapy and introducing new foods to him involves MUCH patience over many months, progressing from pictures of new food, to smelling it, then allowing it to be on the table with him, prodding with fingers, hopefully placing it on his tongue, and eventually chewing and swallowing it.

So, introducing new foods to him is not a one time attempt and can be quite stressful to all of us if we let it. Thankfully he LOVES veggies and fruits, and never puts up a fight about that!

Old 09-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #35
RedxPanda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karyn0995
Thankfully he LOVES veggies and fruits, and never puts up a fight about that!
There is definitely no shortage of fruits and veggies on the cruise. Our DD was only 15 months on our first Disney cruise this year. She will eat most anything, but she LOVE LOVE LOVES fruits and veggies.

Between meals, the 'healthy' food place on the pool deck (Goofy's Galley on the Magic) had cut up fruit plates when they were serving and bananas and oranges 24/7 while they last until they open and restock. The bananas were a life saver for us. If she got too cranky between the set meal times, we would run up to the pool and grab a banana and let her scarf it down.

During meal times, we would eat at the Buffet for breakfast and Lunch. Lots of fresh fruit and cooked veggies, and of course breads of various sorts at the different meals. They even have deli meats and cheeses that are plain by themselves, if he is interested in that kind of thing. The kids trays for food in the buffet are so large and have separate compartments, so you can segregate foods out into their own spots. Sounds like that might be perfect for him. In fact, I love them for myself and Im not that picky! The only worry I would have for you is that the buffet could present too many options at once? If that is something that will overwhelm him, you might want to find a table first, then take turns going through the food line, while he waits at the table.

In the dining room, the kids menu always has an option for a fruit appetizer, and for entrees take a look at the whole menu (kids and adults). You can always ask for a plate of various side dishes from the other entrees if the mac and cheese doesn't work out. Take a look at the vegetarian options too. Some of the entrees may apply to his liking. There is soooo much choice for food at every meal, that I have a hard time believing there won't be enough for him to eat. Oh and if there are particular veggies he likes, I'm sure you could request those, as they should have most normal choices available every night.

Also, like other said, why not order something and if he likes the look of it, he'll eat if, if not, he won't. This applies especially to the buffet as you can just offer a nibble of different things, and if they likes it, it's easy to go back up for more!

Goodluck! I'm sure this will be a great family vacation! Food included

Past Sailings/Recent Trips
CCL Triumph - 7N E. Caribbean - 12/2006
NCL POA - 7N Hawaii - 3/2010
CBR - 4 Parks 4 Days - 5/2010
Disney Magic - 4N Bahamas - 5/2012 - Trip Report
Disney Wonder - 5N W. Caribbean - 1/28/2013 - CC Review - Trip Report
CCL Dream - 7N W. Caribbean - 6/22/13 - Port Reviews
Old 09-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #36
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

Quote:

How/when does the line get drawn between having some medical issue, or just wanting to eat only what you want to eat?
A child who is not gaining weight appropriately, or losing weight, when offered an age appropriate, varied diet is likely to have a medical problem of some sort.

A child who would rather eat ice cream than grilled chicken and broccoli probably doesn't.

As with many conditions, there's no black and white line between "wide range of normal" and "medical diagnosis". SOME children (perhaps your friends' children) may be in a grey area...however, others (including the children in these two threads) clearly are not. Regardless of whether you have personally encountered them or not, there are children (often in the context of some serious medical or social issue in early life) who will starve if offered a diet that typical children would eat. In the most extreme cases, some children literally won't eat anything.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #37
mamabubble
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for this thread! We are cruising on the 23rd and have been worried about the same things concerning food. My son also likes the taste of Kraft or Annie's mac and cheese. Just thought of an idea. Maybe they can serve plain pasta with butter and if we bring some of the cheese sauce with us we can add it to the pasta. It's worth a try! : )
Old 09-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #38
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaOC-Mom View Post
When actual trained therapists and medical professionals acknowledge the disorder, I think it sounds really ignorant and judgmental to make comments like the one you just did. JMO

On reading your post a second time, it looks like you might have been just talking about the two children of your friend and not all children in general, if that is the case maybe you are right. IDK anything about the two children of your friends.
Yes, I was talking about my friend's children, who were NEVER given any formal food eating disorder/diagnosis. NOT all children who may have legitimate issues.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #39
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karyn0995 View Post
I'll give you a brief overview on our family...but would never try to say this is the situation for all families dealing with sensory issues.

Unfortunately our son's story began in an Eastern European orphanage where everything and anything involving NURTURing and NOURISHing was severely lacking. His "bottles" contained tea, not formula or milk or anything we would consider nutritionally beneficial or even tasty to an infant or child. He was not introduced to solid foods until our family was formed....way beyond the typical age a child is given finger foods.

Thankfully the lack of nutrition only impacted his physical size (he's quite a bit smaller than other kids his age) and and not his learning, personality or other physical abilities. But getting him to eat food other than what I originally listed is a HUGE huge deal. He recently began food therapy and introducing new foods to him involves MUCH patience over many months, progressing from pictures of new food, to smelling it, then allowing it to be on the table with him, prodding with fingers, hopefully placing it on his tongue, and eventually chewing and swallowing it.

So, introducing new foods to him is not a one time attempt and can be quite stressful to all of us if we let it. Thankfully he LOVES veggies and fruits, and never puts up a fight about that!
yes, I can sympathize wholeheartedly about the orphanage situation, and we call ourselves very lucky regarding our daughter, who came to us from a Russian orphanage. Her diet at 14 months included pickles and onions (something she still loves till today). Her lack of healthy food choices had not impacted her quite as severe as your son. We did go through some of the food hoarding and rapid weight gain when she came home, because she ate everything in sight, but eventually that tapered off. Fresh fruits and veggies are all time favorites (again not offered very much at the orphanage). And yes, she does smell everything as well.
I wish you all the best and hope you and your family have a delightful cruise experience.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #40
ScrappinGran
Mouseketeer

Could you possibly bring Kraft Easy Macs with you? Would your child eat those? You'd only need hot water. It's not exactly the same as the boxed kind, but close. Just an idea. Hoping all goes well for you!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #41
pdwimmer
DIS Veteran

Very difficult position to be in. I work in the pharmaceutical industry and have worked on many trials with children regarding allergies, inability to digest certain foods, yada yada. If you have a child that has a "problem" not just being fussy, it is usually because their body is not able to break down the foods, digest, and excrete them properly. The child learns this well before the parents even notice.

I wouldn't recommend putting new foods in their diet in the middle of the ocean if they have a true issue with the food they are offered. (I had a picky eater and it was not hard to fish out. I also have a nephew that was a problem eater and it was an entirely different ball game. Not difficult to distinguish between the two).

You may just find yourself asking for the same meal each night that your little one's tummy can tolerate. Bring some snacks that you know they will eat and of course their vitamins.

It'll be OK. You may even find that they ask for new foods if they see other little ones eating them. But be sure to have your GI meds, Benadryl and what not in case they really can not tolerate the new food.

Good luck. I hope it works out well.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #42
samily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am so happy to hear your DS enjoyed the Mac n Cheese. I am hoping mine does as well. If I may ask, was the M&C shaped like Mickey or "normal" pasta? Most kids would enjoy the Mickey pasta but not DS.

Thanks for your message!
Here is a pic of the mac n cheese on the Wonder this past February:

And from the Dream a couple of weeks ago:

"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett
Old 09-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #43
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

Quote:
....He recently began food therapy and introducing new foods to him involves MUCH patience over many months, progressing from pictures of new food, to smelling it, then allowing it to be on the table with him, prodding with fingers, hopefully placing it on his tongue, and eventually chewing and swallowing it.

So, introducing new foods to him is not a one time attempt and can be quite stressful to all of us...
We are going through this with my 4 yr old DS. There are very limited foods that he will eat and they have to be pureed because he does not chew (sensory issues - he is getting therapy). He can tell the difference between "organic" applesauce and "regular" applesauce even if it's from the same brand!!!! Has to drink dairy free/soy free milk because his body does not digest the protein in regular milk. Going on vacation is VERY STRESSFUL as he gets older due to the non-chewing.

We were very nervous going on our WC cruise on 08/18/12. With that being said....we had no problem at all. We explained the problem to our servers on the first night and they were very good. Every night after our meal, we went over his lunch and dinner for the next day. His food would already be prepared and even dessert was provided as soon as we walked into the restaurant. They even gave me a 32 oz carton of dairy free/soy free milk to keep in the room.

I am sure that your servers will work with you. Just explain to them when you meet them on the first day and you can plan his meals ahead of time. This really made a difference on our vacation. I could not have asked for more. I was so afraid of my DS being hungry for 7 days.

DH DW DD DS
Old 09-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #44
Acklander
DIS Veteran

Quote:

With DS, he's very sensitive to smells, so I think that has something to do with it. He's also weird about textures. He's not a big fan of sweets or desserts, so he isn't just selecting the yummy stuff and leaving the real food. We just make sure he gets a multi vitamin and protein every day and let him make his own choices on the rest.
If we go to McDonald's he will order the chicken nugget meal, will eat all the chicken, maybe a couple of fries and drink water(his favorite beverage). At home he will eat egg whites, rice, ramen noodles, cereal with milk, peanut butter, saltines, plain pasta, and pretzels for a snack. He's not a big eater and has a problem with vomiting when eating new things so we don't use vacation time as a time to try out stuff. He very rarely eats candy (and when he does, picks the sour patch kind) rarely eats ice cream except for a bite or 2 off vanilla to be polite, then pushes the rest away.
He just doesn't like food, and never has. If it wasn't needed to live he would be happy to never eat and instead prefers to eat the stuff with the least amount of flavor.
We've all learned to live with it.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #45
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz02ag View Post
He'll eat what's available if he's hungry enough. That sounds a bit ridiculous to me; this might be a good time to break him of always needing a short order cook.
Hmmmm....would like to see you walk just ONE DAY in my shoes...You'd be singing a different tune

Funny how people can be judgemental...or should I say ignorant

DH DW DD DS
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: