Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Kidtcha
Earning My Ears

My Yard Goes Disney

M new to the boards so forgive me if you have already talked about this show on the boards.....
Has anyone seen the sow on HGTV? How does one get them to bring Disney to their yard? What do you all think about the idea?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Kidtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I saw it the first year. I thought it was neat but what were these families going to do when the kids got older and they didn't want all that stuff in their yard?

I also didn't like the one with the lighthouse slide and itty bitty pool from that season. I thought they should have gotten a bigger pool. But maybe their yard couldn't handle it.

The first year it seemed like they were only choosing people in Florida. I haven't seen it since so I don't know if they still are.

I'd love to see them do one for older kids and for adults like cool Disney gardens.

There was a link on the HGTV website to begin the process if you wanted to try and get chosen but that was last year so I don't know if it's still there.

good luck with it!

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

I've enjoyed watching a few episodes of the first season. We don't "get" tv so I've only seen it when I could catch it at my parents' house. I noticed that they put in all those plants, but don't put in any sprinkler system. So I wonder how long until all the plants die, or the family better be good about getting the hose out everyday.

The yards are really cute and would be fun to have. I know it is more exciting to surprise the kids, but I'd like to see them do an adult yard and also do some based on Disneyland, not just Disney World. I've never been to WDW so I don't really identify with some of the things they do. Or I'd like to see them do a small yard. Our yard is small so I'd like to see what they could do with a small space. Maybe they've done different things the second season though. I would think they would be constantly changing and improving how what they do. Good luck getting picked! That would be amazing!
Old 08-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Kidtcha
Earning My Ears

Oh, I have no desire of having my yard go Disney! I have a postage stamp of a front yard, no backyard, and it I'd just me and my two pets living here!

I agree, what happens when the young man of the family is no longer into Pirates? Makes selling the house interesting for the realtor!

A garden setting for adults would be nice to see! I know both parks have beautiful gardens. That would be realistic for most people.

Kidtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidtcha View Post
Oh, I have no desire of having my yard go Disney! I have a postage stamp of a front yard, no backyard, and it I'd just me and my two pets living here!

I agree, what happens when the young man of the family is no longer into Pirates? Makes selling the house interesting for the realtor!

A garden setting for adults would be nice to see! I know both parks have beautiful gardens. That would be realistic for most people.

They did an Epcot themed backyard this year with a very nice garden and green house.

They also did a Castaway Cay inspired yard with a very nice pool. It had some kid stuff, but they also put in a nice cabana. I remember thinking it would transition pretty well when the kids got older.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

My five-year-old is obsessed with this show. We watch it together and he always asks me when they're going to pick us to give us a "Disney yard." When i say, probably never, because only a few people get picked, he still doesn't give up. Yesterday he said, out of the blue: "Maybe when everyone else in the whole world has a Disney yard, THEN they will pick us and we can too."
coopersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
nickyb720
Mouseketeer

I've watched both seasons! This season, I think they pick families outside of Florida. But earlier in the season, what they did didn't seem to Disney theme related.

Plus, they moved it from Friday nights to Sunday afternoon, which makes me wonder if the ratings aren't that great?

It's too bad because I still like the show and think it is cool what they do. Hopefully they keep it around and make peoples' dreams come true!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

I dunno...

I watched a few minutes of this week's (I think) episode when they were hauling in the two ton replica of one of the pirate ships from PoC...

And while it looked kind of cool, I had to ask myself if I'd want that enormous monstrosity, ("monstrosity" ? I meant, "loving tribute" ) of that ride in my backyard.

And from a practicality standpoint, the answer was a resounding, "NO".

Thinking long term, the kids will grow out of it, and it's going to kill the grass and be a nightmare to "weed eed" around every week.

Not to mention... I'm not sure what part of the country they were in, but should a hurricane blow through it would be, "Yo ho, yo ho, I've got a flipping pirate ship in the middle of my livingroom.

That would be a cause of the Disney magic fading very quickly.

What looks cool on television is not necessarily very practical from day to day.

Let the kids play in our "regular pool", and let Disney be the occasional special treat it was supposed to be in the first place.

I don't need a howler monkey throwing fruit loops at our terrified cat to help recreate the "magic" of The Animal Kingdom, if you know what I'm saying.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Joshua_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
Quicklabs
DIS Veteran

I'm guessing most Home Owners Associations wouldn't care for "the look."

I watch the show and find it amusing. And of course, I love Disney. But I sure wouldn't want it in my yard or in the yards of one of my neighbors.
I'd be very interested in seeing what the Disney landscapers would do without all the Disney "kitsch", though

I've eaten at 66 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (27%)
Quicklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Bornteach

I am thinking that is does mark the house for resale as a "house for kids" but I still love some of the designs! We would like StormAlong Bay please!! (If you are watching Disney....HINT HINT!)

Bornteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
KristEn87
I WILL be twirling around in a circle singing "I want adventure in the great wide somewhere!" Bonjour!

I was just watching the most recent episode and squeeled when the family said they were from Cincinnati Ohio. The mom is actually a DISer and they were on our July 2011 Dream cruise. Very fun "know" the person getting a yard!

KristEn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #12
Scoobypop
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristEn87 View Post
I was just watching the most recent episode and squeeled when the family said they were from Cincinnati Ohio. The mom is actually a DISer and they were on our July 2011 Dream cruise. Very fun "know" the person getting a yard!
Yes Marcy and Graham were on the last episode-wonderful people and truly deserving of being chosen for the show! Loved seeing them on the show, and not only are they as nice as they seemed on the show, she is also amazingly talented with her FE gifts!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
The yards are really cute and would be fun to have. I know it is more exciting to surprise the kids, but I'd like to see them do an adult yard and also do some based on Disneyland, not just Disney World. I've never been to WDW so I don't really identify with some of the things they do.
Last year they had a California family with a Silly Symphony Swings theme.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
mcmommy77
Mouseketeer

I would love to know when the next season applications are being accepted! If anyone hears, please let me know!

I love Disney too much to worry about when my kids are older, resale or homeowner association. Well, unless that is part of the criteria of being chosen.....

Disney World Feb 2013- AoA
Disney Magic 5 night Bahamas Cruise April 2012
Disney Magic 7 night Eastern Caribbean Cruise Feb 2011
Numerous times to Walt Disney World; name the resort, I most likely have stayed there!

mcmommy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #15
dallastxcpa
DIS Veteran

We sent our information in last year and then were asked for additional pictures and info. Our family had three teen kids living at home at the time.

I haven't watched all of this years shows but I find it disappointing that every single family seems to have very young children. I can tell you my teens would get just as excited and would love a Disney yard also.

Not everyone that goes to Disney has 2.5 pre school kids at home. Their are empty nesters, dinks, families with only children. How about grandparents who would love to have a Disney yard when their grand babies come over. And I would love to see a grown up themed retreat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: