DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
tcrandal
Earning My Ears

Trading points?

I hope this is the correct place to ask this...

For the past 5 years, we have rented points for an annual January trip, and we are finally looking to purchase to avoid renting the points each year. That said, we're looking at a resale, and probably won't be able to close in time to still reserve a 1 BR AKV @ Kidani in January.

Do DVC owners ever exchange points? For instance, I know many owners run into trouble with points expiring and end up renting them out. What I'm thinking is if I do decide to purchase, I'd put a request out there to use 250 points from someone in January and agree to provide my 2013 250 points in return. This would obviously need to be worked out in a legal agreement, with potentially a clause that I pay $13 a point if my sale doesn't close.

I don't imagine this is much more of a hassle than renting points, and was just curious if it's a common occurance?
tcrandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrandal View Post
I hope this is the correct place to ask this...

For the past 5 years, we have rented points for an annual January trip, and we are finally looking to purchase to avoid renting the points each year. That said, we're looking at a resale, and probably won't be able to close in time to still reserve a 1 BR AKV @ Kidani in January.

Do DVC owners ever exchange points? For instance, I know many owners run into trouble with points expiring and end up renting them out. What I'm thinking is if I do decide to purchase, I'd put a request out there to use 250 points from someone in January and agree to provide my 2013 250 points in return. This would obviously need to be worked out in a legal agreement, with potentially a clause that I pay $13 a point if my sale doesn't close.

I don't imagine this is much more of a hassle than renting points, and was just curious if it's a common occurance?
Well, you could do a transfer, but you wouldn't be able to transfer both in and out in one year. So you could transfer in 2013 points and transfer out 2014 points.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Well, you could do a transfer, but you wouldn't be able to transfer both in and out in one year. So you could transfer in 2013 points and transfer out 2014 points.
I think OP is trying to figure out a way to use someone's points (almost like a double transfer) before their contract purchase is in the system. Something like:

Current owner makes new owner's January reservation (250 points)

then once new owner has an account set up they would transfer the 250 points back to the other owner

It seems really tricky and would require the OP to find a REALLY trusting current owner.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb & Bill

I think OP is trying to figure out a way to use someone's points (almost like a double transfer) before their contract purchase is in the system. Something like:

Current owner makes new owner's January reservation (250 points)

then once new owner has an account set up they would transfer the 250 points back to the other owner

It seems really tricky and would require the OP to find a REALLY trusting current owner.
Thinking about this some more, I can't figure out why a current member would make this deal. They would be better off just banking their own points into the next year because the new owner's points won't show up for them online.

OP, you probably need to rent points for January or skip a trip during the process of buying a contract.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
cvjw
DIS Veteran

I would be too scared to let someone use my current year points with the promise of their future points. What if they had to sell their points, or didn't pay their maintenance fees? The person you traded with would be out 250 points. I think you would have a hard time finding someone that would be willing to take that risk with their points.

Maybe pay a little less and buy a stripped contract, and take the extra money and rent points for this trip.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: