Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #226
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 840

We just returned yesterday after 9 nights Poly CL and definitely agree with the views expressed by Mickeyluv'r. When Hurricane Isaac threatened to put a damper on our Around the World Segway tour, the CL staff was able to quickly get it changed to the next morning for us when the weather was still good. We used the lounge primarily for breakfast before heading to the parks and the 5-7 appetizers to hold our kids over until our 8pm ADRs. However, if you want a beer or glass of wine when the "shutters are closed" (which we did on a couple of days when we returned mid-afternoon), you can ask one of the CM's in the lounge (or knock on the door) and they will get it for you.
Stitch'sCousin is offline  
Old 08-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #227
barbliny
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyluv'r View Post
Mostly the bottled water I've seen is in glass bottles. Others may have different experiences, but we always bring water in plastic bottles for the parks/poolside. The glass bottles are more for your room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyndianPrincessJes View Post
We were given plastic bottles of water on occasion when we asked.
When we stayed at BC CL just a week ago the CL staff told us to just ask if we wanted to take water to the parks - they told us this one day when I was commenting how hot it was. Anytime we asked (very nicely and always with a 'I realize you're a little busy, when you have a chance ...'), they gave us ice cold 20 oz. plastic bottles of Dasani - the same ones sold in the parks. Saved us $10 each time we headed out to the parks. Many people (you'll see them, we called them the CL stalkers - always peeking and watching what someone else was getting on CL that they might want) seemed surprised one morning when we were handed the water. I felt sorry for the CM because then she was pounced on multiple times, and in not so nice tones of voices, by other guests.

Maybe it's something fairly recent?? I remember reading when I was planning a few months ago that water for traveling to the parks wasn't really an option on CL. So, we were very happily surprised when the CMs told us to just ask!! Also, maybe it's seasonal?? during the really hot times of the year??

Last edited by barbliny; 08-29-2012 at 09:05 PM.
barbliny is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #228
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,615

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbliny View Post
When we stayed at BC CL just a week ago the CL staff told us to just ask if we wanted to take water to the parks - they told us this one day when I was commenting how hot it was.
I think maybe it also varies by resort? It's one of the CL mysteries. Once we were offered juice boxes, but never again. Sometimes if you ask for something you've gotten in the past they look at you like you are from Mars. I am always the one eating the strawberry 'garnish' - and sometimes I can get a few bonus strawberries. (or blueberries, if that's the garnish of the day and I ask nicely) Often the main fruit offered is (cheap) cantelope, which I can't eat.

If it's warm, we always go through TONS of water. I do so very much wish they had bottled water in the drink cooler, and water in each room, instead of just soda cans.
mickeyluv'r is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #229
vicki_c
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 23,390

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyluv'r

I think maybe it also varies by resort? It's one of the CL mysteries. Once we were offered juice boxes, but never again. Sometimes if you ask for something you've gotten in the past they look at you like you are from Mars. I am always the one eating the strawberry 'garnish' - and sometimes I can get a few bonus strawberries. (or blueberries, if that's the garnish of the day and I ask nicely) Often the main fruit offered is (cheap) cantelope, which I can't eat.

If it's warm, we always go through TONS of water. I do so very much wish they had bottled water in the drink cooler, and water in each room, instead of just soda cans.
Well they did away with the small bottles of water at CL a few years ago and replaced them with the big glass bottles, supposedly because guests were taking all the bottles to take into the parks. The PP's experience seems to be an exception. I wouldn't expect them to bring back the smaller plastic bottles.
__________________
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is online now  
Old 08-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #230
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch'sCousin View Post
We just returned yesterday after 9 nights Poly CL and definitely agree with the views expressed by Mickeyluv'r. When
Thanks!

A shorter way to encapsulate the value of CL is this:

At WDW, time = money, and money = (added) time.

Since the amount of time I have to vacation is very finite, making good use of the time I have is highly valuable. If you really want to do WDW on a tight budget, it can be done. I've tried many options myself. In my experience, most penny pinching choices cost time. It's a bigger trade off than many folks like to consider. Conversely, if you spend a little more at Disney (in strategic ways)- you get something of value in return. As pricey as a WDW vacation is, sometimes spending a little extra really makes a big difference in HOW you get to spend your vacation time.

In short, I think CL is among the best kept secret ways ot maximize one's vacation. IF you are already considering a deluxe resort, then adding CL - with a good discount rate- is well worth the $ for us. Mind, if you have plenty of free time but a limited budget (retired, perhaps?)- then the opposite might be true; using extra time to save every $ makes more sense.
mickeyluv'r is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #231
psac
DIS Veteran
 
psac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,317

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
Well they did away with the small bottles of water at CL a few years ago and replaced them with the big glass bottles, supposedly because guests were taking all the bottles to take into the parks. The PP's experience seems to be an exception. I wouldn't expect them to bring back the smaller plastic bottles.
We also had the same experience at the Beach Club (same as PP) in June. It could just be a Beach Club thing. I asked for water to take back to the room, expecting the glass bottles, and she asked if I wanted the big Evian, Fiji or small Dasani waters. I was shocked and asked for Dasani, she asked how many, I said 3 or 4, she gave me 4. I then came back and asked for 3 or 4 every day for the rest of the trip. In the "spirit" of the lounge water use, we actually did just drink them in the room and resort areas, we're water hounds.
__________________
“It's kind of fun to do the impossible.” - Walt Disney
Upcoming BWV Dec'14
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
psac is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #232
psac
DIS Veteran
 
psac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,317

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyluv'r View Post
Thanks!

A shorter way to encapsulate the value of CL is this:

At WDW, time = money, and money = (added) time.

Since the amount of time I have to vacation is very finite, making good use of the time I have is highly valuable. If you really want to do WDW on a tight budget, it can be done. I've tried many options myself. In my experience, most penny pinching choices cost time. It's a bigger trade off than many folks like to consider. Conversely, if you spend a little more at Disney (in strategic ways)- you get something of value in return. As pricey as a WDW vacation is, sometimes spending a little extra really makes a big difference in HOW you get to spend your vacation time.

In short, I think CL is among the best kept secret ways ot maximize one's vacation. IF you are already considering a deluxe resort, then adding CL - with a good discount rate- is well worth the $ for us. Mind, if you have plenty of free time but a limited budget (retired, perhaps?)- then the opposite might be true; using extra time to save every $ makes more sense.
EXTREMELY well put. Any monetary comparison will tell you that staying club will never save you money if you are purely comparing food and drink costs.

It's the same with us for taxis to other resorts for dinners. If we're paying $$$ for a signature dinner at another resort not close by, either we can spend 60-90 mins travelling to a park, then back to the other resort for free, or hop in a cab for $15 and have it only take 15 minutes. The time saved is well worth the money. The same is true with staying club, especially for the breakfasts. We're also DVC members (wo do both types of trips still), and when we stay DVC, we buy breakfasts (mostly cereal, milk, and coffee) for the room, again to save A LOT of time in the mornings. Then we also buy a few cases of water, in that case purely to save money.
__________________
“It's kind of fun to do the impossible.” - Walt Disney
Upcoming BWV Dec'14
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03

Last edited by psac; 08-30-2012 at 03:00 PM.
psac is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #233
Adlergray
Mouseketeer
 
Adlergray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 282

Hi all
I have a question I hope someone can answer for me. This is my first time needing to book a suite or dlx room so I have been weighing my options. I Keep coming across a CP GV 1 bed but it doesn't seem to have CL privileges am I correct here?
__________________
Me DH DD(11) DS (3) (2)



Trips: '84 Poly,'86 Poly,'87 Poly, '88 GF,'92 GF, '95 Sports?,'97 YC, '99 Poly, '01 Poly, '02 Poly, '03 Poly, '05 Poly, Aug '11 YC, Oct '13 Poly, May '15 Poly/YC
Adlergray is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #234
vicki_c
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 23,390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlergray
Hi all
I have a question I hope someone can answer for me. This is my first time needing to book a suite or dlx room so I have been weighing my options. I Keep coming across a CP GV 1 bed but it doesn't seem to have CL privileges am I correct here?
What is CP?
__________________
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is online now  
Old 08-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #235
nonzerosum
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: so far from WDW it makes me weep
Posts: 534

Are slippers (with kids sizes) and "upgraded" toiletry items included in CL?We're staying at the GF, Sugar Loaf. I'm looking to lighten my packing load in any way I can.

Also, is it frowned upon to take food back to the room to eat? Early in the morning I like my space.
nonzerosum is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #236
Epcot Resort Area
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonzerosum View Post
Also, is it frowned upon to take food back to the room to eat? Early in the morning I like my space.
Yes it's ok for you to take food from the lounge back to your room.
Epcot Resort Area is offline  
Old 08-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #237
psac
DIS Veteran
 
psac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,317

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonzerosum View Post
Are slippers (with kids sizes) and "upgraded" toiletry items included in CL?We're staying at the GF, Sugar Loaf. I'm looking to lighten my packing load in any way I can.

Also, is it frowned upon to take food back to the room to eat? Early in the morning I like my space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epcot Resort Area View Post
Yes it's ok for you to take food from the lounge back to your room.
Yeah, not a problem at all taking out food. Toiletries are pretty good, what exactly would you be looking for? I've never gotten slippers, though (but never asked...?) We always pack ours.
__________________
“It's kind of fun to do the impossible.” - Walt Disney
Upcoming BWV Dec'14
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
psac is offline  
Old 08-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #238
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,615

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonzerosum View Post
Are slippers (with kids sizes) and "upgraded" toiletry items included in CL?We're staying at the GF, Sugar Loaf. I'm looking to lighten my packing load in any way I can.

Also, is it frowned upon to take food back to the room to eat? Early in the morning I like my space.
I don't recall slippers per say, but I would not have used them. I only recall two adult robes per room. We bring flip flops or crocs and/or slip-on sandals. Crocs/flip flops are also great for the pool and rainy weather.

Yes, CL includes upgraded toiletries. The GF gets top of the line. It's even diffeent than the stuff they give you in the other CL resorts - which is also pretty decent. At BC, we only got solar gel, shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel. It seems to me like GF had lotion and one other item. I don't remember what. I think at any CL resort if you need something like a toothbrush (with paste) all you need to do is ask. I don't think they expect to supply EVERY toiletry, but a few essentials. I mean if you need something like hairspray, I would bring that.

You can also buy some things in the gift shop, but it's not going to be a great buy, and they carry only limited brands.

One more option people use is Garden Grocer, but I've never found that to be a great deal for us. Beyond that with a rental car you can stop by a store myself. A town car service will also let you stop at a store. Still one more option folks use is to simply mail a box of stuff to the resort. The last time I had water shipped to a resort, we got hit with a resort courtesy fee of $10, I think, for a case of water. Only the convention resorts do that, but GF, CR, BC are all 'convention' resorts. Airline luggage fees bite!

Last edited by mickeyluv'r; 08-31-2012 at 01:46 PM.
mickeyluv'r is offline  
Old 08-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #239
Adlergray
Mouseketeer
 
Adlergray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
What is CP?
Contemporary
__________________
Me DH DD(11) DS (3) (2)



Trips: '84 Poly,'86 Poly,'87 Poly, '88 GF,'92 GF, '95 Sports?,'97 YC, '99 Poly, '01 Poly, '02 Poly, '03 Poly, '05 Poly, Aug '11 YC, Oct '13 Poly, May '15 Poly/YC
Adlergray is offline  
Old 08-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #240
tobin04
Mouseketeer
 
tobin04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyluv'r View Post
I don't recall slippers per say, but I would not have used them. I only recall two adult robes per room. We bring flip flops or crocs and/or slip-on sandals. Crocs/flip flops are also great for the pool and rainy weather.

Yes, CL includes upgraded toiletries. The GF gets top of the line. It's even diffeent than the stuff they give you in the other CL resorts - which is also pretty decent. At BC, we only got solar gel, shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel. It seems to me like GF had lotion and one other item. I don't remember what. I think at any CL resort if you need something like a toothbrush (with paste) all you need to do is ask. I don't think they expect to supply EVERY toiletry, but a few essentials. I mean if you need something like hairspray, I would bring that.

You can also buy some things in the gift shop, but it's not going to be a great buy, and they carry only limited brands.

One more option people use is Garden Grocer, but I've never found that to be a great deal for us. Beyond that with a rental car you can stop by a store myself. A town car service will also let you stop at a store. Still one more option folks use is to simply mail a box of stuff to the resort. The last time I had water shipped to a resort, we got hit with a resort courtesy fee of $10, I think, for a case of water. Only the convention resorts do that, but GF, CR, BC are all 'convention' resorts. Airline luggage fees bite!
Just chiming in to say that we have stayed both CL and in a garden view room at GF, and both had the same toiletries. They have the H20 Spa line, where as other resorts have the H20 brand, but the spring-something-or-other line. It's all great stuff...but I did notice that we had the same toiletries at the GF regardless of whether we had CL or garden view!
__________________
tobin04 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: