Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
adtillma1
Mouseketeer

Sea World Newbie Needs Advice

November will be our first trip to SW. It will be DH, DS (8), DS (4), my sister, and myself. We are staying at POFQ and driving to SW. Since we are on the DDP we will eat breakfast in our room and then have dinner back on Disney property when we return, so we won't be doing the Sea World Eat all Day.

My question is what are the most "important" things to do/see at Sea World? I know that we want to see the One Ocean show and we would like to get there early enough to do Dolphin Cove and feed the dolphins. Are there any other things that you guys think we really would like for kids that age?
adtillma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

There is a good dolphin show - Blue Horizons, Sea Lion show (Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island)- Pets Ahoy - a show with cats and dogs very cute, and Elmo and Abby's Treasure Hunt - I think you can find them on youtube so you can choose what you think your family will like the best. Also Alure The Call of the Ocean which is acrobats but that may be better for older age groups depending.

* 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *
Trip Reports WDW and DLRP http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+reporthttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
KBF
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtillma1 View Post
November will be our first trip to SW. It will be DH, DS (8), DS (4), my sister, and myself. We are staying at POFQ and driving to SW. Since we are on the DDP we will eat breakfast in our room and then have dinner back on Disney property when we return, so we won't be doing the Sea World Eat all Day.

My question is what are the most "important" things to do/see at Sea World? I know that we want to see the One Ocean show and we would like to get there early enough to do Dolphin Cove and feed the dolphins. Are there any other things that you guys think we really would like for kids that age?
There is a giant play area designed for kids your son's ages. It is called Shamu's Happy Harbor and has a big play net and rides designed for young kids. You'll probably spend a lot of time here. Another cool thing is feeding Sharks, Sting Rays and Sealions.
KBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Just thought I'd add that Alure is amazing. Saw it in 09, regretted skipping it before. I think kids would like the bright colours, so I'd say go for it.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
adtillma1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
There is a giant play area designed for kids your son's ages. It is called Shamu's Happy Harbor and has a big play net and rides designed for young kids. You'll probably spend a lot of time here. Another cool thing is feeding Sharks, Sting Rays and Sealions.
I think that my boys would LOVE the feeding the sharks, sting rays and sea lions! I'm going to check out the Happy Harbor as well.
adtillma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Enter User Name
Mouseketeer

How many days do you recommend for sea world? I have never been there before and am wondering if one day is sufficient.
😃thanks
Enter User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
Mom2HandR
Mouseketeer

I know One Ocean is THE show but we rated Blue Horizons best. Allure second then Shamu. We went to every show except the Sesame Street characters. My kids loved feeding the dolphins. Make sure you get the strip for the pic. They missed my kids totally. Not as organized as Disney. Sky Tower was a great way to cool off and enjoy the view for everyone.
Mom2HandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
Enter User Name
Mouseketeer

How and where do you feed dolphins? Is it strictly on a tour?
Enter User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
Bearybear
A firm believer in the unbelievable

I also recommend Allure. My DS then 7 loved it, and so did we. You can also get your picture taken with the performers afterwards, which is pretty cool.

About Shamu's Happy Harbor, there are tons of carnival-like games, which kind of annoyed me. At least in AK at Dinoland, they're more out of the way (easy to avoid). The rides there are more like carnival rides, too. Nothing particularly spectacular.

If you decide to go the Clyde & Seamore show, which I recommend, get there early, as there is a very funny clown entertaining before the show.

For the Shamu show, to get good seats, you need to arrive at least 45 minutes before the show.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
feathersmcgraw
Mouseketeer

Oh try not to leave out Pets Ahoy! If you read up on it you would be forgiven to think it sounds a little corny, however it was my 4 year old DDs favorite show for the whole trip :-D

feathersmcgraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
Mom2HandR
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter User Name
How and where do you feed dolphins? Is it strictly on a tour?
Nope. I think it was around $7 each child. Parents are allowed to accompany child to assist. Go there first thing in the morning for the 9:30 feeding. They are hungry and super playful.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
KBF
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter User Name View Post
How many days do you recommend for sea world? I have never been there before and am wondering if one day is sufficient.
��thanks
I would always suggest two days at Seaworld. The park is more relaxing than a Disney or Universal park. There are many places like exhibits or the Sky Tower ride where you can cool off and relax. Giving yourself two days insures that you won't miss any shows, rides or exhibits and allows you to go back and do something you really enjoyed a 2nd time. Maybe on one of the days you can also book an exclusive tour or animal interaction.

By buying tickets online, you receive a 2nd day at Seaworld totally free. So it won't cost any to go back the 2nd day (But I think you still have to pay for parking) Here is the link to that for more info....

http://seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld...&utm_source=CJ
KBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
Mom2HandR
Mouseketeer

You can currently get the 2nd day at SeaWorld at the park free. We also got Aquatica tickets for $25.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
Anonny
Mouseketeer

What is the balance between shows and ride attractions?
What is best for two adults?
Anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
Mom2HandR
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonny
What is the balance between shows and ride attractions?
What is best for two adults?
I think the balance is more show vs. ride. For two adults you can skip Happy Harbour and Pets Ahoy (unless you are a big animal lover) and the Sesame Street show. You might do a backstage tour.
Manta and Kraken are the big rides. Sky Tower is lovely for the view.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: