Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #3556
gaildmoody
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
We recently returned from a wonderful 10-day stay at the BC but myself and my two teen girls have always wanted to try the Poly. We've dined there at least twice on every single trip we've taken in the past and love the theme & atmosphere of this resort. So on this trip, after our O'hana breakfast, we took a little tour of the resort and a CM showed us one of the rooms. The girls and I really liked the resort, DH didn't really care for the room but is flexible plus he knows he's "outnumbered" in a house full of women . My question to all the Poly lovers, does the room view really matter at this resort? We're looking to do another 10-day next August and may be looking to do a split stay between a moderate and the Poly. If I book a Std vw room, to keep the cost down, will it be a horrible location? Are there any standard view rooms closer to the main building? Any suggestions based on past experiences would be greatly appreciated.
The room view is completely up to you. There are some great standard view rooms with a great view. Samoa is right there in the middle next to the volcano pool and you can get a great view looking at the pool which, if you are located right, also looks at the Grand Floridian. The standard view can also look at the quiet pool, "garden" type areas and the monorail. These used to be called the Garden View but they changed it. You can make a request but of course, its never guaranteed.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #3557
sargenca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
My question to all the Poly lovers, does the room view really matter at this resort? We're looking to do another 10-day next August and may be looking to do a split stay between a moderate and the Poly. If I book a Std vw room, to keep the cost down, will it be a horrible location?
I think the whole resort is just so beautiful, and I personally don't think the room view is that important. I don't think there is a horrible location at the Poly - because it's the Poly! My very first stay at the Poly 12 years ago, we were looking at Cinderella's castle from our patio. Now although that was pretty magical, I haven't booked that view since then and really haven't missed it. In fact, we had one of the parking lot views last year and we were okay with it because we got our Rapa Nui request.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #3558
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaildmoody View Post
The room view is completely up to you. There are some great standard view rooms with a great view. Samoa is right there in the middle next to the volcano pool and you can get a great view looking at the pool which, if you are located right, also looks at the Grand Floridian. The standard view can also look at the quiet pool, "garden" type areas and the monorail. These used to be called the Garden View but they changed it. You can make a request but of course, its never guaranteed.
Thank you...now if I were to make a request, which building should I be requesting if I wanted to be closer to the main building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenca View Post
In fact, we had one of the parking lot views last year and we were okay with it because we got our Rapa Nui request.
What is that?

Old 08-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #3559
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTilson View Post
We were there today (Thurs 8/30) and it was not crowded at all. Plenty of tables/chairs and lots of room to wade. Short lines at the Volcano slide. We were there between 10am-2:30pm. Open hammocks and tons of lounge chairs on the beach. It was a hot day too!
Thats good news, hope GF guests decided it's to much of a hassle to travel over to use the Poly pool

Old 08-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #3560
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggoofy View Post
We just spent 12 days there. In the mornings, it was not an issue at all. tables and chairs were not an issue if you got there in the AM.

the only day we had a problem finding a table with chairs was Thurs 8-16. We got to the pool at 330pm so we knew it would be like finding a needle in a haystack anyways.

The pool did crowd up on the weekend. so dont be blind to that. But if you are there early enough it would be a non-issue. On the weekends we did spend at the pool, we were out of there by 2-3pm when it started to get crowded.
Ok thanks for the tip. How about later at night, was it crowded then ? Like around when the fireworks and EP start ?

Old 08-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #3561
sargenca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
we got our Rapa Nui request.
Quote:
What is that?
Rapa Nui is one of the buildings (longhouses) at the Poly. It is not a building that is closest to the GCH, and you mentioned that being important to you - so I will let others chime in on that!

You can go to the TikimanPages website (just Google: Tikiman Polynesian) to get a lot of information about each longhouse...
Old 08-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #3562
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Rapa Nui is one of the buildings (longhouses) at the Poly. It is not a building that is closest to the GCH, and you mentioned that being important to you - so I will let others chime in on that!

You can go to the TikimanPages website (just Google: Tikiman Polynesian) to get a lot of information about each longhouse...
I'll do that...thank you so much

Old 08-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #3563
Eagle Dad
Earning My Ears

Quick Question about Samoa Snacks

We are heading to the Poly in August for the first time in 4 years. I had a question about the sundries at Samoa Snacks. Do they sell milk in 1/2 or gallon sizes? I remember them having cereal and other groceries but couldn't remember about milk. We had used Garden Grocer the last time and I will not really have enough to buy to reach their minimum order. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #3564
kinggoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
Ok thanks for the tip. How about later at night, was it crowded then ? Like around when the fireworks and EP start ?
We didnt use the pool at night.

We sat by the pool bar a few nights watching the fireworks and parade. We had no trouble getting a table. But I did notice that there were alot of people on the beach watching the nightly movie.

I would say this much, if you really want to watch the parade and fireworks from the beach or sit on chairs on the beach or use the hammocks or swings....get there early. They fill up fast.
CBR-Sept. 93 ( Honeymoon); ASMu-Aug. 97; CSR - Aug.98; PO-Aug. 99; DXL-Aug. 00; POR- Aug. 01; POR- Aug. 02; POR-Thanksgiving 02; POR-Aug 03 (Celebrated 10th wedding anniversary this trip); POR-Aug. 04; POR-Thanksgiving 04; POR-August 05; POR-Thanksgiving 05; POR-June 06; POR-Thanksgving 06: CBR-ESPN The Weekend Mar 07; POP-Memorial Day Weekend 07; Poly-Aug 07; BW-Thanksgiving 07; Poly-April 08 DW Birthday Present ; Poly Aug 08 (15th Wedding Anniversary); POR - Thanksgiving 08; Aug 09 YC; POR- Thanksgiving 09; Aug 10- Yacht Club to celebrate our 25th Visit to Walt Disney World; POR- Thanksgiving 10 ; POR August 2011; Poly Aug 2012 OKW in Nov 2012 OKW 2013; POR & SSR Thanksgiving 2013; SSR 4/14 (DW bday gift ) and BWV in August 2014

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS..2010 & 2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPS
CHICAGO CUBS..1908 WORLD CHAMPIONS
Old 08-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #3565
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My question to all the Poly lovers, does the room view really matter at this resort? We're looking to do another 10-day next August and may be looking to do a split stay between a moderate and the Poly. If I book a Std vw room, to keep the cost down, will it be a horrible location? Are there any standard view rooms closer to the main building? Any suggestions based on past experiences would be greatly appreciated.
There are no bad views at the Poly, IMO. We stayed in Samoa and loved the location. It was so convenient and just steps from the GCH, the volcano/quiet pools, the beach, and Captain Cooks . The Poly is an awesome resort and I know you'll have a great time .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #3566
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggoofy View Post
We didnt use the pool at night.

We sat by the pool bar a few nights watching the fireworks and parade. We had no trouble getting a table. But I did notice that there were alot of people on the beach watching the nightly movie.

I would say this much, if you really want to watch the parade and fireworks from the beach or sit on chairs on the beach or use the hammocks or swings....get there early. They fill up fast.
Ok we will get there early. When we were there last September there were only about 10 people on the beach, It was great and there were only about 6 people in the pool ! We will be there in October this year I hope it's not crowded.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #3567
TeamTilson
O'hana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1

There are no bad views at the Poly, IMO. We stayed in Samoa and loved the location. It was so convenient and just steps from the GCH, the volcano/quiet pools, the beach, and Captain Cooks . The Poly is an awesome resort and I know you'll have a great time .
I requested a standard view and when we checked in, they gave us Fiji bldg 2nd floor (no balcony unfortunately) but fantastic view of the volcano slide, GCH, marina, and lagoon. It was also a quick walk to the pool and GCH. Poly surprised us with this great building! You never know what you'll get but all views are great views!

From VA to WA! Moving from the East Coast to the West Coast (Richmond to Seattle) in June 2013!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #3568
etxmomof2
Earning My Ears

Hi all! I am planning my first trip to the Poly and so appreciate all your tips and information.

I have a question that I haven't found the answer for yet. Can you ask for upgrades at check-in and how often are they given? Our TA suggested it, but I'm always reluctant to ask.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #3569
gaildmoody
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by etxmomof2 View Post
Hi all! I am planning my first trip to the Poly and so appreciate all your tips and information.

I have a question that I haven't found the answer for yet. Can you ask for upgrades at check-in and how often are they given? Our TA suggested it, but I'm always reluctant to ask.
Asking for upgrades for free isn't really PC at Disney and 99% of the time you won't get it by asking for it. Upgrades are typically given at random. Now if you want to upgrade and pay for it that is a different thing.

If you're TA was a good TA he/she would simply call the resort herself and see what she could do. At least that is what I would do.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #3570
gaildmoody
Mouseketeer

OMG OMG OMG!! I can HARDLY wait! 2 weeks from tomorrow we will be checking in!! These 14 days can't go fast enough!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: