Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #3541
ireneryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
It was nice for us last year because our youngest daughter actually ended up with an ear infection while we were there (had to go to the hospital) and we wanted to keep her out of the pool. She was still able to enjoy being around the pool, paddling a bit in the zero entry part, but had the comfort of the cabana to go back to - she didn't feel as much like she was missing out as she would have being back in the room while her sister got to go swimming (like how you describe your mom might feel)
Sorry that your daughter got sick on your last trip. Did it affect most of her days or just the swimming parts, I do know all kids have different reactions to being sick... Here's some pixie dust for an illness free fall trip! But you're right they do sound like very similar situations.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #3542
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyIsMyFave View Post
Just thought I should post on here and say hello. We are headed to Poly on Sat. for 3 nights - and it's my first trip back there in . . . at least 15 years I think! Cost just became too prohibitive as I was in college and grad school. So my parents and I became a Moderate family. When DH and I started going alone, we stuck with that. But! On a whim at New Year's, we booked a bounceback offer at Poly "just to have it." And the stars have aligned, and we're really going! (We added on a Fri. night stay at ASMu just to get down there sooner, but of course the real vacation will start once we check into Poly Sat.!)

We've requested Tokelau upper floor or Samoa 3rd floor, and we'll be doing 'Ohana for the first time. (Kona is already a fave.). Though we're usually pretty commando, I've built in extra resort time this time. Poly and GF are my childhood resorts, and I have so many memories. I'm just so thrilled to be finally returning! Thanks for letting me share.
Oh I hope you have a fantastic vacation !

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #3543
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
There are a few differences between CL and a standard room. First, all CL rooms are located in Hawaii (with the exception of the suites). The building is secured and guests need their keycard to enter.

There is a lounge on the lagoon side of Hawaii on the second/third floors. There is a large, wall-height window in the lounge overlooking the lagoon and castle (there are pictures on the first page of the thread http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=10 ) In the evening you can enjoy Wishes in the lounge and the soundtrack is piped in.

There is food service offered in the lounge and this is included in the cost of the room. In the morning there is a light breakfast with coffee/juice/tea, fruit, baked goods and oatmeal. During the day there are snacks such as fruit, cookies, crackers etc. There is always soda on hand and you can ask a CM for beer. You can take food/beverages from the lounge back to your room or to the pool/beach area. At dinner time there is an h'orderves type menu offered, with finger foods, crackers & cheese, etc. Later in the evening desserts, liqueurs, beer and alcoholic punch are served. You can find a link to the menu on the first page of this thread.

Another "perk" of CL is the use of the Poly's IPO office (Itinerary Planning Office). They can book ADR's and recreational activities for you.

It's really a matter of opinion as to whether the extra money is worth it for you. Our family likes having the extra space of the lounge to get out of the room. We are also pretty light eaters, so the food offerings work well for us (with our big meal of the day at lunch time). If you are big eaters the food in the lounge will not be a good meal substitute for you.

Hope this helps!
Ok thank you I think that would be worth it if you did not have to buy the dining plan and maybe eat one big meal a day like you said and use the CL for eating the rest of the day.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #3544
maryj11
DIS Veteran

How crowded has the volcano pool been ?

Just wandered about how crowded the volcano pool has been since GF's pool rehab is taking place now ? Are a lot of the GF guest using the volcano pool ? Anyone who is there now or has stayed in the past week have any word on this ?

Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #3545
CindyIsMyFave
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11

Oh I hope you have a fantastic vacation !
Thank you!!!!

Most recent trips:
Dec/Jan 2011-2012 at POFQ (New Year's Eve) - Mar 2011 at WL - Dec/Jan 2009-2010 at CBR (New Year's Eve) - May 2009 at POR for 6th anniversary
60 visits and counting thanks to Mom & Dad taking me at least once a year since age 1. (32 year streak continues thanks to DH now)
Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #3546
sargenca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIESMITH View Post
Vicksburg is a beautiful town! Is your family still there? I'm actually in the opposite end of the state- Meridian is the closest big city

We're just looking for a quiet place away from all the noise of the main building and the pools. Rapa Nui seems to fit the bill! Have you ever gotten a handicap accessable room? I've heard that they don't have bathtubs and I really would like to be able to have a nice hot bath after walking around the parks all day. The parking lot also appeals to me and if that's the worst view we could have, I'm not worried! I hope y'all have a nice trip, too! Pop would be my first choice for a value stay. I think my daughter would love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIESMITH View Post
Just did online check in. I had to call in to make our room requests: 2nd or 3rd floor and Rapa Nui longhouse. The VERY nice lady I spoke with told me I sound like Reba McEntire (sp?).
Yes, I still have family there and visit often. I am very familiar with Meridian. I guess MS is only so big!!

We have gotten a HA room, and it had a tub but only the one sink. But it wasn't an issue for us. Hope you get your requests, but sometimes you end up pleasantly surprised and get something else just as great - we didn't know we would love Rapa Nui until it was assigned to us when our request wasn't granted!

Keep us posted!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #3547
TeamTilson
O'hana

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11
Just wandered about how crowded the volcano pool has been since GF's pool rehab is taking place now ? Are a lot of the GF guest using the volcano pool ? Anyone who is there now or has stayed in the past week have any word on this ?
We were there today (Thurs 8/30) and it was not crowded at all. Plenty of tables/chairs and lots of room to wade. Short lines at the Volcano slide. We were there between 10am-2:30pm. Open hammocks and tons of lounge chairs on the beach. It was a hot day too!

From VA to WA! Moving from the East Coast to the West Coast (Richmond to Seattle) in June 2013!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:20 AM   #3548
TeamTilson
O'hana

Hi Poly friends! Back from a magical vacation!! How does the Bounceback work? Do they email us? DD and I are hoping for a quick trip in February. To save money, we'll probably stay value since we want to make this trip about the parks and rides.

From VA to WA! Moving from the East Coast to the West Coast (Richmond to Seattle) in June 2013!
Old 08-31-2012, 06:37 AM   #3549
kinggoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
We just spent 12 days there. In the mornings, it was not an issue at all. tables and chairs were not an issue if you got there in the AM.

the only day we had a problem finding a table with chairs was Thurs 8-16. We got to the pool at 330pm so we knew it would be like finding a needle in a haystack anyways.

The pool did crowd up on the weekend. so dont be blind to that. But if you are there early enough it would be a non-issue. On the weekends we did spend at the pool, we were out of there by 2-3pm when it started to get crowded.
CBR-Sept. 93 ( Honeymoon); ASMu-Aug. 97; CSR - Aug.98; PO-Aug. 99; DXL-Aug. 00; POR- Aug. 01; POR- Aug. 02; POR-Thanksgiving 02; POR-Aug 03 (Celebrated 10th wedding anniversary this trip); POR-Aug. 04; POR-Thanksgiving 04; POR-August 05; POR-Thanksgiving 05; POR-June 06; POR-Thanksgving 06: CBR-ESPN The Weekend Mar 07; POP-Memorial Day Weekend 07; Poly-Aug 07; BW-Thanksgiving 07; Poly-April 08 DW Birthday Present ; Poly Aug 08 (15th Wedding Anniversary); POR - Thanksgiving 08; Aug 09 YC; POR- Thanksgiving 09; Aug 10- Yacht Club to celebrate our 25th Visit to Walt Disney World; POR- Thanksgiving 10 ; POR August 2011; Poly Aug 2012 OKW in Nov 2012 OKW 2013; POR & SSR Thanksgiving 2013; SSR 4/14 (DW bday gift ) and BWV in August 2014

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS..2010 & 2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPS
CHICAGO CUBS..1908 WORLD CHAMPIONS
Old 08-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #3550
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalla View Post
Another question from a Poly Newbie.......I keep reading about the rooms at Poly being bigger than say the YC/BC. Is it really noticeable? My oldest DD may be joining us for this next trip, and the extra room may be nice.
We noticed the difference and thought the Poly rooms were MUCH larger than the BC rooms. The BC rooms are pretty good size, but we did find the rooms at the Poly to be more spacious for the 4 of us .

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylovr1 View Post
I really don't want to just look at a parking lot, but to go to the next view (lagoon) was over $600, so we opted for standard. How are the standard view rooms? What should I request? Just not parking lot, or should I be more specific? Is there an actual room map somehwere showing which rooms are standards in each longhouse? This may sound silly, and I hope we would be happy with any room, but I always stress over view in the deluxes. Moderates not so much.

Do some standard rooms have balconies? I would love to have one, it's maybe even more important than the actual view. Second best would be a patio.

Would a reasonable request be #1 non parking lot view with a balcony #2 non parking lot view with a patio? I know the less specific the better, but also should I maybe be a little more specific after some research into eactly which view, as opposed to non parking lot. How are the monorail views? Are the cool, or kind of like having train track view from an apartment. Also, it seems like they would have less privacy and be darker.

Well, sorry this got so long. I need your expertise on the Poly. It's fun learning a new resort, we've always visited but never stayed. Any general advice also welcome - it's me, my husband, and 2 1/2 yr old son.
IMO, there aren't any "bad" views at the Poly, although there are some rooms with better views than others. My suggestion would be Samoa, 1st floor (patio) or 3rd floor (balcony). We stayed in Samoa and had a nice view of the quiet pool and loved the location as it is very convenient to everything. Enjoy the Poly......it's our favorite resort and we just love everything about it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTilson View Post
Hi Poly friends! Back from a magical vacation!! How does the Bounceback work? Do they email us? DD and I are hoping for a quick trip in February. To save money, we'll probably stay value since we want to make this trip about the parks and rides.
Bouncebacks are offers for future stays that must be booked while you are checked into a Disney resort. Once you check out, you are no longer eligible to book a BB. With that said, BB offers during Aug & Sept are usually for free dining for select dates in Aug/Sept of the following year.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #3551
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya

It was nice for us last year because our youngest daughter actually ended up with an ear infection while we were there (had to go to the hospital) and we wanted to keep her out of the pool. She was still able to enjoy being around the pool, paddling a bit in the zero entry part, but had the comfort of the cabana to go back to - she didn't feel as much like she was missing out as she would have being back in the room while her sister got to go swimming (like how you describe your mom might feel)
and I believe she sacked out in the cabana for a nap as well too

Heaven knows I could have!

It is a matter of opinion where you spend your money. On our next trip I will definitely add that little luxury one day while we are there. It is all a matter of what your really looking to get out of it. It sounds like for your family it will be perfect for your transfer day!

Enjoy!
12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

Old 08-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #3552
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTilson
You do have to book BB while you are there but I have received two pin code e,ails upon my return and they were for dates up until 12/31/12.

The BB was not so food. Free dining from 8/16-9-/28?? So your February dates were never an option. Hopefully some kind of discount or code will be right for you?

Glad you had a magical Vacation
12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #3553
Snaddy
Earning My Ears

Dole Whip Question

Hi! We are planning our first Poly trip for March 2013. I was wondering if the self-serve Dole Whip Machine also has the pineapple juice to make the yummy Dole Whip Floats?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #3554
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Newbie to Poly question(s)...

We recently returned from a wonderful 10-day stay at the BC but myself and my two teen girls have always wanted to try the Poly. We've dined there at least twice on every single trip we've taken in the past and love the theme & atmosphere of this resort. So on this trip, after our O'hana breakfast, we took a little tour of the resort and a CM showed us one of the rooms. The girls and I really liked the resort, DH didn't really care for the room but is flexible plus he knows he's "outnumbered" in a house full of women . My question to all the Poly lovers, does the room view really matter at this resort? We're looking to do another 10-day next August and may be looking to do a split stay between a moderate and the Poly. If I book a Std vw room, to keep the cost down, will it be a horrible location? Are there any standard view rooms closer to the main building? Any suggestions based on past experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #3555
gaildmoody
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTilson View Post
If you are already home then you have missed it. There should have been a clock looking piece of paper on the dresser/counter in your room. That was the bounceback offer. It has to be booked before you check out.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: