Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
jodiey
Mouseketeer

photopass worth the money?

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on if the think the photopass is worth the money. I've gotten it in the past and felt it was more of a hassle than anything else because we were constantly on the lookout for photopass opportunities so that we got our moneys worth.
Next month we are taking our 1 year old for the first time so I'm considering getting it again, but I see the price went up. It also says it now includes ride and dining photos. Does anyone know which rides and restaurants? My friend went last week and said she didn't see any photographers in any of the character dinners she went to, so if they aren't taking pictures there, then where could they be?
jodiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
darrengs
DIS Veteran

We are doing Photopass this trip, but I also prepurchased it before the price went up, I am not sure if I would do it at the current pricing.

Only photopass plus includes characters and rides.

From www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/digital-photos.htm

Participating attractions:
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Rock 'n Roller Coaster
Expedition Everest
Dinosaur

Character dining locations offering print packages include:
1900 Park Fare
breakfast at Ohana
Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show
Chef Mickey's
Cinderella's Royal Table
breakfast at Tusker House
Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue
Akershus Princess Storybook Dining

darrengs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
capecodprincess
There must be more than this provincial life!

From what I've read, it's the restaurants that have always had photo pass but that you've had to pay for. Ex. Ohana for breakfast, chef mickeys, the 2 dinner shows plus the ones that were free before like CRT and ark. The group shots you take before going in to the meal. For rides I'm pretty sure that it includes every ride that you can purchase your picture on. I've never prepaid for photo pads but I've always ended up purchasing pp products. This year I am taking dh who has never been and loves getting his picture taken at every opportunity he gets, so I will be pre-purchasing this year

me, 24- 5 trips (06-off property, 08-POFQ, 09-CSR, 10-FW, 10-POP)
dh, 26- 0 trips
capecodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

I have not purchased a photopass CD/DVD the last several trips. I have just been handing my camera to the Photopass photographer and I have been getting close to the identical pictures.

I do have to admit, I had the same Disney photographer for two trips and he learned my camera.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

I've always made good use of the photopass...it's well worth it for us. this year I pre-ordered the photopass plus....

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Ginamarie
DIS Veteran

I preordered before the price went up and will be using it for this year's vacation. For us, it pays to use it on longer vacations, as some of the nicest photos don't come out well with our personal camera. We love getting shots with the park icons, etc, and not having the hassle of having to pull out our own camera. Some of the best photopass shots that we've gotten include our children running towards the characters they love, and it's nice getting to experience that firsthand and also have a photo of it.

That being said- I'm a huge photo person and our photographs are often one of the favorite things about a vacation for me since I get to take them home and look at them to relive our vacation memories. So I probably put a bigger value on photos than the average park guest.

It's a lot of money, but actually much cheaper than a photo session at Sears or JC Penny when you factor in all of the photos that are included.
1980, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1997, 2003 (Ft Wilderness); Honeymoon 2002 (POFQ/Disney Magic), Sept 2003 (Disneyland!), Nov 2004 (CBR/Disney Magic), Dec. 2004 (Poly/CS), Aug 2005 (Disneyland), Oct/Nov 2005 (Pop), Olivia's 1st trip Dec 2006 (POFQ); Mom and Baby Trip, Oct 2007 (Pop); Pop/Disney Magic WB PC 5-10-08; Sal's First Trip Apr/May 2009 (POFQ); Big Family Trip Jan 2010 (POFQ); WL/Disney Magic EB TA Repo-4-10-10; Wine and Dine Half Marathon Oct 2010 (POR); Disney Wonder Alaska 6-21-11;Baby Owen's First Trip Aug 2011 (Ft Wilderness/BCV); ASSP May 2012; POFQ/YC Free Dining for our 10th Anniversary Sept 2012; Sisters Weekend Feb. 2013; Family Trip- Kidani Village/Freedom of the Seas Aug 2013; Surprised the kids- Pop Century July 2014 Coming soon: Disney Magic WB TA, Sept 2014; DSis's Disney Wedding Sept 2015

Ginamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

On our last trip (last year), it seemed like there were less photographers out than in past years. I am a photo geek, but I generally think the photopass is only worthwhile if you are going on a big family trip (and combining everyone's photopass cards) or if you take the time to really seek out the photogs and take multiple photos each day. I think it just comes down to how much time you want to spend seeking out the photogs and (possibly) waiting in line for them to take your picture.
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
Phoenixblue
Mouseketeer

We have enjoyed the photo pass each time. Our last trip it was very nice, as we also did MNSSHP - we got a special card for that night that was themed and had a code on it for several discounts for buying items later, some were very good deals.

We will be doing the plus for our trip next month. We ride most of the rides included and will hit most of the dining options as well. And we want to make sure we get great photos as its a birthday trip!

We also make a Disney photo book from our photo pass images, and you can upload your photos as well.

So, for us, we find it well worth the price. Even with the recent increase, I think it will be worth it for us.

Another photo thing we do is the photo shoots at a resort. We did Grand Floridian our first time, Animal Kingdom Lodge the next and this time we are doing a shoot at the Poly. We have always received excellent photos - you get all the images taken on a USB key - usually 90 - 100 images or so. Its separate from the photo pass, but you can also upload these images to the photo pass site and use them for making special items or just to print.

Phoenixblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Stereo
Earning My Ears

I get just as nice pics from giving our camera to the photographer. I think the prices are way too high for basically the same shot.
Stereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
carelo
AKA - Jasminegirlsmom

I agree. I get the same pictures by handing the camera to the photographer.

I guess it depends on how you intend to use the pictures and whether you have a personal camera that can deliver the same quality. If it seems worth the price to you then it probably will be.

I personally can take a lot of pictures with a really nice camera for the equivalent amount of money.

Next trip SOON, I hope!
DLR AP Holder
Go Rockies!!!!

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/0pa1ewyfl4yc3deq.png[/IMG]
carelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

I love the photopass option. I have never pre-paid for the CD because I never know how many pictures I'll want from them.

I have always had the PP photographer take their shots and then take a couple with my camera.

Most trips I do purchase the CD. A couple of years back I just purchased one or two digital copies after we got home.

As for ride pictures, the last time I was at WDW only Test Track had the ability to put the picture onto my PP card. It would be great if all the ride photos could be put on. That would make it worth the $$ to me as my family usually hams it up for the ride pics.

Remember having the PP photographer take a picture with their camera is free. If you don't purchase them you are out nothing. If something dastardly happens to your personal camera, (my friend had hers stolen on the last day of her trip a few years ago), or if the PP Photographer captures the perfect shot of you and your loved ones, you will have access to PP pictures.

Last edited by tksbaskets; 08-29-2012 at 02:05 PM.
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Bellabully
Official Disney Addict

Purchased photo pass cd before last trip, June 2012 for the first time and felt absolutely worth the money. Nice to have someone else take pics and we added Chef Mickey and Pirate League photos to cd. Magical shots made a special memory as well.

Me DH DD
September 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter, November 2011 & June 2012: Boardwalk Villas, April 2013: Beach Club Villas/Boardwalk Villas, April 2014: Beach Club Villas, April 2015 Beach Club Villas
Bellabully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

I'm not a huge photo fan--I am not very photogenic--but I did get the photopass once in the past--I was traveling with a gal who has never met a photo opp she didn't like. I almost never buy ride photos and only rarely do a character meal.

However, I did just purchase the Photopass Plus for my uncoming trip because I am traveling with that same gal, and I have been so many times that I am looking for excuses not to be running from ride to ride. I want to slow down a bit and seaching out the photopass photographers and doing multiple poses and magic shots, should hopefully accomplish that.

My friend also loves the ride photos and we are doing one character meal, plus I love the stock shots, so I decided to give it another whirl. If we just buy 11 4x6 photos, we have matched the inital cost (if ordered in advance online). Knowing Mary, we will be ordering a lot more than 11, plus the ride photos and the 1900 PArk Faire entry photo.
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: