Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Trica
Earning My Ears

Southern California Beaches

On our trip to California we want to spend a couple of days at the beach. We will in be in southern California for our trip to Disney.

What are some nice beaches? I LOVE shelling. It's my understanding that southern Cali doesn't have the best shelling conditions. Especially the more crowded beaches. Can anyone recommend a beach that has at least some shelling?

We were also contemplating visiting Catalina Island. The boat prices to go over seem a little expensive. Does anyone know of a company that offers reasonable rates? Or should we expect to pay over $100 for a family of four to get there and back?

Thanks!
Trica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Is it anyone's birthday when you go to Catalina?
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2703621

In California the waves are real. This is why people surf there and what limits the shells by quickly grinding them up and keeps reefs rocky. You can find some shells but not many along California. I've never been to a beach with more than a shells here and none I would say could support shelling.

Would your family be interested in tide pools you can find some off Palo Verdes?

There are lots of other beaches that are nice. Hunington and New Port beaches that are both close to DLR are, clean, less crowded and have nice sand to lounge and play on.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
cyclenut
DIS Veteran

Skiing has it right about the shelling. There really isn't anywhere that I have seen that is good for that. There are a few different beaches to consider though.

My personal favorite is Seal Beach near the pier area. Along main street there is a small shop that sells shell art among other things. Pay them a visit and ask for the best place to do some shelling. The seal beach pier area is very rustic and while it is north of DLR, it is still in Orange County so it isn't far. The southern portion of seal beach is very ordinary but as you travel south you will encounter a small beach community called sunset beach. There are some very expensive beach front homes in sunset and some of them belong to "the stars".

Travel further south and you will get to the northern area of Huntington Beach. Across PCH from that beach is a tidelands pool that is great for bird watching. There are a few trails through that area. It makes for a nice stroll. Continuing north, as you come closer to the pier, you will reach an area known as "dog beach". This is where people can take their dog onto the beach to swim in the surf. It can be fun to sit and watch, but you had better be a dog lover if you want to "enjoy" that area.

The Huntington Beach pier area is much more commercialized. It is very nice and the main street area is much larger and more developed than the Seal Beach area. There are plenty of bike rentals and other such things during the summer season.

Past Huntington pier you get to another of the State Parks beaches. These are well kept and nice beaches, but there isn't much else there. It is a beach.

Continuing further south you reach Newport Beach. I haven't been down there for awhile. The pier area is very nice though. Further south is Balboa, Balboa Island and the balboa ferry. Fun little area. Continuing south you move towards Corona Del Mar and Laguna. All of this is still in Orange County, but it stretches for several miles. The southern most OC beach area is Dana Point.

Each of these I mention has it's own atmosphere and is worth looking into. This stretch of beach area is some of the best anywhere.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstacy to Ensenada - Summer 2004
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas NB Pacific Coast - April 2007
Disney Wonder to Alaska - August 2011
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean - June 2012
Disney Wonder SB Pacific Coast - September 2012
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Laguna is a very nice beach area. Lots of shops around also.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Depending on how far south you want to go Mission Beach in San Diego is really nice
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Danibelle
DIS Veteran

Shelling is pretty poor on the Pacific beaches because of the waves. I prefer Laguna Beach or Crystal Cove in OC. In Los Angeles, I like Hermosa Beach and Manhattan Beach.

Danibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Trica
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the suggestions.

We used to live in Florida and my grandparents are from Atlantic Canada. I know the pacific doesn't really compare but it isn't impossible. We went to Nuevo Vallarta last year and I found some beautiful shells there. They were harder to come by.

After some research we found Silver Strand State Beach by San Diego. Listed in some top 10 shelling lists for North America. It's worth a shot and seems to have the most promising conditions for the area.

Thanks for the input.
Trica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
lvdis
love disney

I was in San Diego for a conference back in 2005 and some of us took a half-day trip out to Coronado Beach. It was beautiful! I highly recommend it if you are in that area. We went late morning and I could not believe all the sand dollars on that beach. Not just pieces either, whole sand dollars. In fact, there were so many that a little boy was picking them up and handing them to me when he saw I was collecting them! I think his mom had decided he had enough already so he getting them for me!

I'm planning a trip back to the area next summer with my family and that's one of the places I want to take them. My daughter can't wait to see all the sand dollars on the beach. Hopefully it's still that way!
lvdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

When are you going?

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: