Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
wendow
DIS Veteran
 
wendow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,158

Allergy friendly CS places?

I am trying to figure out what are the best places to eat for my df 3yo. He can have baked-in soy but no uncooked soy. So, he is 100% df and somewhat sf. We are not on the dining plan and are planning most of our meals to be CS. We have 3 days in MK, 2 in EP and 1 in AK. Can anyone recommend the places we will be best going to? We are very flexible and just want safe foods.

Also, my dd1 has a peanut allergy and my MIL (who will be with us) is gf. The peanut allergy is pretty easy to manage. I'm truly more worried about the dairy.
__________________
me , dh , dd13 , dd11 , ds5 , ds3
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
nfceagles
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 336

All of the counter service places are trained with the same protocols/procedures in place so you should get a safely prepared meal at any of them. I think it comes down to the menu and what you think might be available DF. My DF son is a meat eater so we look for places like Cosmic Rays and Flame Tree BBQ where he can get Chicken and/or Ribs type meals. Columbia Harbor House has allergy-friendly (top 8 free) chicken tenders if you think he'd like that. They should be available at one place in each park, but I'm not sure where they are at the other parks. You should be able to get bunless burgers or hot dogs at lots of places. The buns may or may not be DF, they keep changing back and forth. Sunshine Seasons in Epcot is well thought of for allergy diners, take a look at their menu. My DF DS had a pepperoni pizza with soy based vegan cheese at Pizzafari in AK a couple years ago. They might be using Daiya by now which would be DF and SF. And if not, they'd probably make him a cheeseless pizza.

I would spend some time looking at the menus and figure out ahead of time which ones look to have foods that will work for you.
nfceagles is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
wendow
DIS Veteran
 
wendow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,158

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
All of the counter service places are trained with the same protocols/procedures in place so you should get a safely prepared meal at any of them. I think it comes down to the menu and what you think might be available DF. My DF son is a meat eater so we look for places like Cosmic Rays and Flame Tree BBQ where he can get Chicken and/or Ribs type meals. Columbia Harbor House has allergy-friendly (top 8 free) chicken tenders if you think he'd like that. They should be available at one place in each park, but I'm not sure where they are at the other parks. You should be able to get bunless burgers or hot dogs at lots of places. The buns may or may not be DF, they keep changing back and forth. Sunshine Seasons in Epcot is well thought of for allergy diners, take a look at their menu. My DF DS had a pepperoni pizza with soy based vegan cheese at Pizzafari in AK a couple years ago. They might be using Daiya by now which would be DF and SF. And if not, they'd probably make him a cheeseless pizza.

I would spend some time looking at the menus and figure out ahead of time which ones look to have foods that will work for you.
Thanks again for your help! I have looked at menus until I think my head might explode. I just don't see allergy-friendly foods. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place??

Good to know we can get the chicken tenders at CHH. We weren't planning to go there so I'll add that one in. I'm thinking maybe I need to take buns for him rather than relying on Disney to have something safe. Nice to know we can get probably get cheeseless pizza. He can't have the soy-based and doesn't like the Daiya
__________________
me , dh , dd13 , dd11 , ds5 , ds3
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Lemonademouth
DIS Veteran
 
Lemonademouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Richmond Va
Posts: 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendow

Thanks again for your help! I have looked at menus until I think my head might explode. I just don't see allergy-friendly foods. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place??

Good to know we can get the chicken tenders at CHH. We weren't planning to go there so I'll add that one in. I'm thinking maybe I need to take buns for him rather than relying on Disney to have something safe. Nice to know we can get probably get cheeseless pizza. He can't have the soy-based and doesn't like the Daiya

I have Celiacs and frequent this website.
http://www.allergyfreemouse.com/top-8-allergies/
Lemonademouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
wendow
DIS Veteran
 
wendow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonademouth View Post
I have Celiacs and frequent this website.
http://www.allergyfreemouse.com/top-8-allergies/
THanks, I had actually read through this site before. Lots of good info! I just wasn't sure with all the vendor changes if this was all still up-to-date.
__________________
me , dh , dd13 , dd11 , ds5 , ds3
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran
 
clanmcculloch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,498

Here's what we do for CS in each park. Since your DS can eat cooked in soy I'm going to assume he can eat the fries (they have some soy in them but it's cooked in). We're dairy and lots of other things free. DD12 can eat soy but has to avoid soy milks (there's some other ingredient in every milk we've tried which causes a reaction but soy itself is fine as she eats Tofutti products).

MK: chicken tenders with fries at Columbia Harbour House, chicken (with ribs at dinner) at Cosmic Ray's
Epcot: lots of options at Sunshine Seasons (my 12yo likes the rotosseri chicken but asks for plain rice with it; there are other side options as well, just ask for a chef. my 14yo and I like the seared tuna with salad), chicken tenders or burgers with udis buns (right now they also have steak but not the best cut of meat) at the American pavillion
DHS: we typically eat TS here (just had an amazing 3 course meal at Mama Melrose) but for CS we get chicken tenders over at ABC Commissary
AK: Flame Tree BBQ for chicken and ribs (the BBQ sauce isn't safe for us but they're quite tasty without sauce).
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DD(13) DSD(32) DSSil (40) DSD(30) DGS(4)


Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010


February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
wendow
DIS Veteran
 
wendow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,158

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
Here's what we do for CS in each park. Since your DS can eat cooked in soy I'm going to assume he can eat the fries (they have some soy in them but it's cooked in). We're dairy and lots of other things free. DD12 can eat soy but has to avoid soy milks (there's some other ingredient in every milk we've tried which causes a reaction but soy itself is fine as she eats Tofutti products).

MK: chicken tenders with fries at Columbia Harbour House, chicken (with ribs at dinner) at Cosmic Ray's
Epcot: lots of options at Sunshine Seasons (my 12yo likes the rotosseri chicken but asks for plain rice with it; there are other side options as well, just ask for a chef. my 14yo and I like the seared tuna with salad), chicken tenders or burgers with udis buns (right now they also have steak but not the best cut of meat) at the American pavillion
DHS: we typically eat TS here (just had an amazing 3 course meal at Mama Melrose) but for CS we get chicken tenders over at ABC Commissary
AK: Flame Tree BBQ for chicken and ribs (the BBQ sauce isn't safe for us but they're quite tasty without sauce).
My ds reacts to soy milk and Soy Dream ice cream so I've never tried any other uncooked soy. He should be fine with the fries which is good cause he loves fries. He doesn't particularly like chicken tenders....I know, weird kid...and unfortunately, that seems to be the main choice. Well, I guess the worst that happens is that I take a pb&j in the park for him most days. He will eat that and then maybe I can find some safe treats.

I am thinking he can have fries, popcorn and the big pretzels. These are all safe for dairy allergies, right?

Does Flame Tree's bbq sauce contain dairy or is it unsafe for you for other allergies?
__________________
me , dh , dd13 , dd11 , ds5 , ds3
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran
 
clanmcculloch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendow View Post
My ds reacts to soy milk and Soy Dream ice cream so I've never tried any other uncooked soy. He should be fine with the fries which is good cause he loves fries. He doesn't particularly like chicken tenders....I know, weird kid...and unfortunately, that seems to be the main choice. Well, I guess the worst that happens is that I take a pb&j in the park for him most days. He will eat that and then maybe I can find some safe treats.

I am thinking he can have fries, popcorn and the big pretzels. These are all safe for dairy allergies, right?

Does Flame Tree's bbq sauce contain dairy or is it unsafe for you for other allergies?
I've never looked at the Uncrustables; do they have any milk (my kids can't have peanuts so they've an obvious no for them)? Uncrustables are easy to find around WDW if they can eat those.

Yes, the fries, popcorn and big pretzels are safe for dairy allergies. At least they're safe my kiddos (well, the pretzel is only safe for one but the other one can't have it due to gluten, not milk). These are staples for us at WDW. I swear that they must put some kind of addictive substance in that popcorn because that's all DD12 wants for snacks at any park.

I don't recall which allergens were in the BBQ sauce. Sorry. I'm thinking it listed food starch which is a gluten no-no unless the source grain is identified (it wasn't) but I can't remember about dairy. They'll bring out the allergy book for you to see.
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DD(13) DSD(32) DSSil (40) DSD(30) DGS(4)


Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010


February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
wendow
DIS Veteran
 
wendow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,158

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
I've never looked at the Uncrustables; do they have any milk (my kids can't have peanuts so they've an obvious no for them)? Uncrustables are easy to find around WDW if they can eat those.

Yes, the fries, popcorn and big pretzels are safe for dairy allergies. At least they're safe my kiddos (well, the pretzel is only safe for one but the other one can't have it due to gluten, not milk). These are staples for us at WDW. I swear that they must put some kind of addictive substance in that popcorn because that's all DD12 wants for snacks at any park.

I don't recall which allergens were in the BBQ sauce. Sorry. I'm thinking it listed food starch which is a gluten no-no unless the source grain is identified (it wasn't) but I can't remember about dairy. They'll bring out the allergy book for you to see.
I do think Uncrustables contain milk. Glad to hear the fries, pretzels and popcorn will be safe. That will go a long way with him

Oh, an allergy book, huh? That is good to know!
__________________
me , dh , dd13 , dd11 , ds5 , ds3
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #10
wendow
DIS Veteran
 
wendow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,158

Well, now I just went and looked at the Uncrustables ingredient list and didn't see milk. Hmm, could have sworn the box in the store had milk listed. I looked specifically cause I knew WDW had those instead of regular pb&j sandwiches.
__________________
me , dh , dd13 , dd11 , ds5 , ds3
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,608

My son can't have dairy and eats Smuckers uncrustables as they are dairy free.

Some store brands may have dairy but disney sells smuckers. They are very expensive at disney though compared to the grocery store. It is cheaper to buy a box if you can and take them in the parks with you. Disney has many dairy free cs meals including pizza. The buns for hot dogs and hamburgers are different from the reg. Buns and are not very good as they are also gluten free so they crumble. Disney is the easiest place to deal with allergies. All the cs places have a book with the ingredients listed for everything. They will give you this book at all cs places as well as call a manager out to take your order. The popcorn as of last nov. Was dairy free. Double check that is still the case when you order as that sometimes changes even within the same brand.

An alternative to cheese on pizza might be tofu if your child can eat it. At Pop the cook accidentally put tofu on my sons pizza instead of the toffuti cheese and my son thought it was pretty good that way. We only found out when the chef came out to appologise. He was very upset with his staff member to say the least. But it wasn't a big deal mistakes happen and
it is easy to see how it happened they are close sounding. Lol
__________________
ME rincess: DH DS DD:

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!




Last edited by Halbleib1; 08-27-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
wendow
DIS Veteran
 
wendow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,158

Yay!! Good to know the Uncrustables are an option should we need those! Definitely thinking I should take his own hamburger and hot dog buns in just so they are familiar to him since we normally do not buy gf bread. Thanks for all the other ideas!
__________________
me , dh , dd13 , dd11 , ds5 , ds3
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
jaimeadk
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 167

I am SO EXCITED after reading this thread that the popcorn could be dairy free. I assumed it probably had a dairy flavoring. Does the popcorn stand have a list of ingredients or how do I verify once I'm there?
jaimeadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.