DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #811
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Just got back from 4 nights at VB and then 2 nights at Universal Hard Rock Hotel. It was a good trip and my family (me, DH, DS-15 and twin DDs-13) had fun (most of the time). Here are some positives and negatives.

Positives:
1- Clean, up-kept and beautiful resort.
2- relaxing/peaceful...quiet beach area...not commercialized
3- nice food choices on resort (poolside counter, the Green Room and Shutters...had lots of good stuff to eat and drink).
4- quick walk to pool or beach
5- nice mild waves (good for me, but a negative for my kids)
6- blue-ish water
7- breezy and not too hot
8- lovely 2BR just as I requested (top floor in building 15) with wonderful view

Negatives:
1- giant spider (size of my entire hand...no lie) decided to get into nook on our van (parked in garage). We noticed it the morning we checked out and had to drive 1 hour and 40 minutes to Universal...my DDs did not want to get in and were a bit freaked out. I sprayed him with bug spray with deet and he went into van sliding door which put my DD into hysterics (and I wasn't so cool headed either)...was interested as we sat there trying to get him...I thought I saw him curl up and fall, but we never could find him. I am still creeped out about it.
2- long drive from MD (MD beaches suck, but there are perfectly fine beaches a bit closer like in NC, SC and GA...we like Tybee Island).
3- not much for teens to do...good place for younger kids (lots of activities for younger kids)
4- had to use key to get in/out of pool area and beach...was a pain when your hands were full and they were full most of the time (with beach gear)
5- ocean water was very chilly
6- could not go on beach at night (because of turtles, which I understand, but we like to walk on the beach at night)
7- had to drive a good way to get to anything...nothing real close by
8- lots of greenery that blocked view of beach/ocean and held critters (like our spider friend)...stepped on many snails at night...:-(
9- we had TIW card and they would have to get a manager to approve discount on every food order...would have to wait (not too long but would hold up the line at the counter).
Editied to add 10- internet from room was difficult to get online and stay online and was SLOW.

We're glad we went, but it's not something we NEED to do again and we certainly won't drive down just for VB nor will we ever need to spend more than 3 nights there (a week would be way too long). It was nice that we added on a few days at Universal and we stopped at Daytona beach on the way down to VB. We spent a few hours checking out Daytona (and spent the night in Port Orange) and it made the drive to VB easier and more pleasant. Then, DH made us leave Universal yesterday and drive all the way back home...that was a hellacious ride and I WON'T do it again.

Last edited by lovin'fl; 08-27-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #812
Pete W.
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
5- ocean water was very chilly
6- could not go on beach at night (because of turtles, which I understand, but we like to walk on the beach at night)
Wow, ocean very chilly in August? Current Vero Beach forecast says ocean temp is 81 degrees.

Does anyone know if beach is closed at night throughout the year, or only during certain months? We're going next March and would like to walk the beach at night.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #813
floridafam
DIS Veteran

The water has been chilly lately. It does seem strange.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #814
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Another positive...the fabulous sunrise as seen from our balcony. The black blur is a dragonfly.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #815
chepic
I tear up whenever I hear "Welcome Home." Some people say I have "issues."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete W. View Post
Wow, ocean very chilly in August? Current Vero Beach forecast says ocean temp is 81 degrees.

Does anyone know if beach is closed at night throughout the year, or only during certain months? We're going next March and would like to walk the beach at night.
We were there 2nd weekend in August and the water was very refreshing...found the pool water to be too warm to cool off from the heat of the day.

They only close off during turtle season....summer....from what I understand. We have been there during other seasons and walked the beach without any issues. Also walked it every morning before sunrise without any issues. You just have to respect the turtles.

che
Old 08-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #816
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

I also forgot to mention that there is lots of chair hogging (you know this term if you cruise) by the pool. What's up with that?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #817
DisDaydreamer
I have this DIS-ease

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
I also forgot to mention that there is lots of chair hogging (you know this term if you cruise) by the pool. What's up with that?
I'm guessing you're talking about people who come out early and put towels and such on the chairs to RESERVE them. A special pet peeve of mine.

Unfortunately, the key to the pool is necessary. There is a public entrance to the beach on the north side of the resort and people tend to find their way in. Even with the key system.

The beach is not actually closed at night. Just can't use lights to see your way. I broke my big toe one year accidentally kicking a huge rock on the beach. This is not a DVC rule (Disney has no rights on the beach, it is public domain).

Sorry about the spider. Never seen one that big there. I've seen them that big here in VA, and black widows multiple times. There should be a special island where all the spiders can go to live in harmony.

Love your sunrise shot... what is that in the water?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #818
Starr W.
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When we were at VB last year for spring break, we stayed in the one Beach Cottage near the pool. Yep there are the chair hogs and there were a small group every morning waiting for rope drop at the pool. These were professionals, not only did they bring the towels, but coolers and anything else you would need for a day at the pool.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #819
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

I am headed to Vero in May for my first trip! Yeah!

We are planning on renting a car, spending a few days at Vero, then driving to port for a cruise. Someone recommended just paying to park the rental and then driving back to the airport. What do you all think?

Also, what airport would you recommend?

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #820
Starr W.
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrrx View Post
I am headed to Vero in May for my first trip! Yeah!

We are planning on renting a car, spending a few days at Vero, then driving to port for a cruise. Someone recommended just paying to park the rental and then driving back to the airport. What do you all think?

Also, what airport would you recommend?
We usually fly into MCO for our VB trips, more flights than West Palm Beach. If I was cruising out of PC, I would fly into MCO.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #821
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure if I shared our dates for next summer or not. I checked the roll call and we aren't there, so I'm guessing I didn't.

I'm so excited that we were able to book a Beach Cottage for the nights of June 15/19th!
This will be our third trip to Vero.
We were there this past June and were "lucky" enough to experience tropical storm Debbie during our visit.
We were able to spend a bit of time on the beach and at the pool, but for the most part it was a wash with all the rain.
Oh well, it was better than being in Kansas!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #822
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

I didn't realize there was a roll call. We (3 of us) will be there May 22-May 25.

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
Old 08-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #823
PammyK
DIS Veteran

Doing laundry so I can pack for my end of summer trip to Vero. Heading down on Friday after work. Gonna rock with Orange Avenue at Captain Hiram's Friday night and then just relax at the beach for the rest of the week. Can't wait!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #824
Murron
Murron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PammyK View Post
Doing laundry so I can pack for my end of summer trip to Vero. Heading down on Friday after work. Gonna rock with Orange Avenue at Captain Hiram's Friday night and then just relax at the beach for the rest of the week. Can't wait!
<3 Captain Hirams! Have fun!!!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #825
ree123
25 + visits and counting....

The stressful 7 month waitbto book is over!!

Geesh ! We booked 8 days at Vero for our Easter Break . We have four to add to roll call- March 28-April 4. OVIR is what we were able to grab with our use year 2012 without dipping into 2013. We have a few points left over.... Guess we will sneak down to AKV/SSR sometime within next few months . Anyway, quick question . My college age DD wants to fly down for a quick two night stay with us . Has anyone used a blow up mattress in that type of room ? We would deflate it in the AM and store it . I'm sure I'll have tons of questions within the next 7 mos. Thanks in advance !
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: