Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

A Fantasy of Food and Wine: A tale of two trips

Welcome all!

I thought I would do a report of my 2 upcoming trips. I will be sailing on the Disney Fantasy on a 7 night Eastern cruise in October and then I'll be headed back to WDW for a special F&W trip to help my friend celebrate her 50th birthday! (Plus jabead shamed me into it! )

I am not the wittiest writer (please see Nebo, Glenbo, Pondzi, jabead, DonaldDolewhip, Monymony3471, and many many many more!) but I will try to do an all in one dining and trip report (but mostly dining!).

Me: My name is Jill and I love food and wine (Hi Jill!...oh, wrong room!) I live in Denver, CO (although from Missouri!) and have loved visiting Disney especially after I discovered the adult side of Disney! I am single and have a very spoiled dachshund named Bailey (she made me talk about her....she is barking at me now..wait...she just wanted to eat some of my dinner.)

Trips: I rebooked a dummy date on my DCL Med cruise in May, 2010. I had intended to book a sailing for my birthday but a good friend of mine and her family were planning to sail on 10/6. I hadn't sailed with them since 2007 so I had my TA rebook my cruise and I was set.

In the meantime, I started talking to my BFF from KC who I don't see often enough. This year is her 50th birthday and she wanted to do F&W and invited me to stay with her. I was short of DVC points so she invited me to stay on the pull out of her villa. I love her!

So I have ended up with 2 trips in just over a month and I cannot wait. I haven't been to Disney since October 2011 where I used 2 years of DVC points in order to take my niece and nephew (and their parents!) to WDW for their first time!

Trip 1: October 5-October 14

Airfare to Orlando from Denver is horrible this year and I was able to cash miles on Frontier. Whoo hoo! That's more eating and drinking and spa money!

The Plan:

Oct 5: Fly from Denver to MCO arriving at about 12:30. Take the ME bus to BLT (my first stay!) I plan to grab lunch at the Contempo Cafe and maybe a delicious cupcake.

I'm hoping to meet an Internet friend from Japan before she goes home and then I'm meeting up with my cruise friends for drink at Top of the World Lounge and Hallowishes then dinner at California Grill. I love California Grill and am glad to have a chance to eat there again prior to the renovation.

Oct 6: Up early for a group breakfast at Kona! Time for some macadamia nut pancakes and lillikoi juice!

After breakfast, a quick drive to the coast and the DISNEY FANTASY for an awesome 7 night cruise.

Continued in next post.

Jill in CO
Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
jabead
DIS Veteran

Woohoo...I'm in!!! Thanks, Jill.

ETA: Your dog is adorable!

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - #3
- and - APRIL 2014 REVIEW - My Solo Birthday Trip

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan

Last edited by jabead; 08-27-2012 at 09:10 PM.
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
jedijill

October 6, Day 2: Board Disney Fantasy

First order of business will be to get Palo brunch reservations fixed so our group can have brunch at the same time then scope out Remy champagne lunch reservations for myself! I've been dying to try this as soon as I heard about it. Then off to the Aquaduck and the first of MANY drink of the days!

October 7, Day 3: Day at Sea and Palo Brunch

No pictures but let me tell you it is AMAZING! I love the stollen bread, crab legs, all the deserts, and some of the best chicken parm I have ever had! You will have to roll me out of there!

October 8, Day 4: Day at Sea UPDATE! I just booked Remy brunch at 12:10

No special plans today and I won't know the dining rotation until we are on the ship.

October 9, Day 5: St Maartin and Pirate Night

We will be on a Tiki Bar Tour and a stop at Maho Beach to watch the planes land. Once back on board, its dinner at REMY! I fell in love with Victoria and Albert's at WDW so I really cannot wait to try dinner at Remy. Still debating the wine pairing but I will probably go with it. Heck, I don't have to drive anywhere! Hopefully I will be done with dinner in time to watch the fireworks.

October 10, Day 6: St Thomas

No plans today.

October 11, Day 7: Day at Sea

Starting today off with a Bamboo massage and then dinner at Palo. I can taste the chocolate souffle now!

October 12, Day 8
: Castaway Cay

I am going to try parasailing and then the first of several Konk Koolers!

October 13, Day 9: Forcibly removed from the Fantasy and back to WDW

After they pry me off the ship, I am headed back to spend the night at VWL. I have a reservation for afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian and then dinner at Artist Point. I am debating Artist Point after reading DonaldDoleWhip's review of Narcoosee's. I am craving that almond cheesecake but I do love AP too. I'm waiting to see more current menus before making my final decision.

October 13, Day 10
: Forcibly removed from my villa at VWL on the the Magical Depress (copyright Nebo) and a flight back to Denver at an ungodly hour.

19 long days until I'm back at WDW!

Jill in CO

Last edited by jedijill; 09-21-2012 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Cha cha changes
jedijill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
jedijill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
Woohoo...I'm in!!! Thanks, Jill.

ETA: Your dog is adorable!
Thanks!

Bailey says thanks too. She is very polite unless you have food...then you are on your own!

Jill in CO
Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
jedijill

Trip #2 November 2-12 (or maybe the 11th!)

Thanks to a very kind person on the Budget board, I find a flight down on SW for $99 from Denver to MCO which these days is a bargain! SW's scheduled wasn't open for the return so I guess I will just stay in WDW forever.

This trip is different than the last...I'm not really doing the planning! This trip is for LeeAnn and since its her birthday she gets to make all the plans! We are staying at AKV-Kidani. She and her husband are coming down a day before me and she is bringing a friend of her's down to stay for a few days as well.

Day 1, November 2:

I arrive in WDW at about 1pm. We have a reservation a The Plaza at the MK for dinner before MNSSHP. I've never eaten at The Plaza but it looks great.

Day 2, November 3:

Planning on having breakfast at Wolfgang Puck Express (thanks Karin!) and then a late lunch at Le Cellier. We are spending the evening eating around the world in Epcot at F&W.

Day 3, November 4:

Starting the day off with a little TSM and lunch at Sci Fi Dine In. Headed back to Epcot to continue eating and drinking around the World.

Adding the Culinary Deminar Shanna Hornmer O'Hea and Brian O'Hea chicken

Day 4, November 5:

LeeAnn's birthday. Breakfast at The Wave (Sweet Potato Pancakes!!!) and then dinner at Tokyo Dining.

Banfi wine deminar! Rosa Regale!

Day 5, November 6:

Rainforest Cafe for Breakfast and then Kona for dinner.

Buddy Valastro, Carlo's Bakery, Hoboken NJ Deminar

Day 6, November 7:

Headed to Universal to see Harry Potter (Free tickets from work!) and then dinner a La Hacienda.

Wendy Brazilian and Jon Ashton presented by Driscoll's Onlt the Finest Berries Deminar

Day 7, November 8:

Breakfast at Kouzzina and then more F&W!!!

Ty Ku Sake & Spirits Deminar

Day 8, November 9:

Possible backstage tour at MK, Afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian, and then MVMCP.

Day 9, November 10:

Olivia's for breakfast, Le Chef's for late lunch, and dinner at La Hacienda then Big Bad Voodoo Daddy! I love these guys...great show!

Warren Brown, CakeLove Deminar

Day 10, November 11:
UPDATE I decided to go on my business trip via Orlando. I will fly to Philadelphia on the evening of the 11th and then work until the 16th and then finally fly back to Denver.

LeeAnn and her husband are headed home but I couldn't find a decent plane ticket until Monday. Right now, my plans are up in the air. I will either find a hotel and fly home Monday or combine this with a business trip and fly to Philadelphia on Sunday and then fly home to Denver.

Plans subject to change.

Jill in CO

Last edited by jedijill; 09-21-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Updated with changes and deminars
jedijill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
deenbrad
DIS Veteran

Both of your trips sound like so much fun! I promised DH next trip will be a cruise so I'm really looking forward to your review of that!
off-site many times 1989-2009 (including half of our honeymoon in 1996!), Pop Century May 2011
deenbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Two trips - awesome! How cool that your BFF invited you, and I hope you have two great trips!
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
jedijill

Quote:
Originally Posted by deenbrad View Post
Both of your trips sound like so much fun! I promised DH next trip will be a cruise so I'm really looking forward to your review of that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
Count me in for fun and food!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Two trips - awesome! How cool that your BFF invited you, and I hope you have two great trips!
Welcome everyone! I hope I don't disappoint!

I dropped my suitcase off at the luggage repair store today....all the zippers got broken after my last business trip to Philly. It's supposed to be fixed by next Wednesday so I can start packing next weekend.

Jill in CO
Old 09-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a fantastic vacation!

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Joining in!!

I know all about those airfares from Denver to MCO! I tracked them daily till I got my hubby's flights booked! I ironically was able to book his return flight before his departure flight to WDW! I booked both flights in June just a few days apart from each other on southwest. I've not seen the rates at the prices I booked them since then so I was thankful for my OCD in that regard!

Can't wait to hear all about your trips! They sandwich mine lol!
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Two trips? Lucky!! How exciting and you bet I'm signing on for these! My cruise isn't until June of next year so I'll have to live vicariously through you to read about all of the cruise food. I've never been to Palo before but I plan to go for it this time! Looking forward to updates!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

i'm in!!!

i can't wait to read about your cruise. i have puerto rico as a port city but it's essentially still the same cruise. you must be so excited!!

i hope you have great weather & smooth sailing. i can't wait for palo brunch. i get to schedule activities on sept. 28!
emmebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Woohoo, two trips to look forward to!! I love cruising but have never tried a Disney cruise ... we'll do it one day! I hope you have an amazing time and I can't wait to read all about it!

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ; Sept/Oct '15-POFQ
MrsB1228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: