Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #76
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Hooray for Hollywood!

Hollywood Studios day! And by lunchtime we were ravenous and had an appointment at 50's Prime Time Cafe. We got there a few minutes early and had a nice sit down in the lounge area. We love this place - it's such fun!

I had a Grandma's picnic punch:

Simon had a Samuel Adams beer:

We always like to share a portion of lovely, crispy onion rings to start here:

The other three all had the fried chicken:

But I decided to be more adventurous and have the Mom's samplings - fried chicken, meatloaf and pot roast:

This was absolutely delicious! I love getting a little taste of everything. Although in this case it was a big taste of everything! But I was determined to save room for dessert! Because I got to have a go with one of these:

Yes, the dessert menu's come on a viewmaster! Very quaint.

I decided on the cheesecake:

Simon had the apple cobbler:

Sarah had the parfait but I don't appear to have a photo of it....

We really enjoyed this restaurant once again. Our server was very funny and gave us lots of reminders to keep our elbows off the table and to eat our veg. The food was good and homely and we always love to watch the old TV programmes.

Big Fatty rating: 7 out of 10

Coming up: An evening at EPCOT and dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse
mamaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #77
CupcakeLisa
Mouseketeer

Loving your photos!

Sept 2010 Maingate Lakeside
Oct 2012 OKW with free DDP

Upcoming Trip
Sept 2014 - two weeks Maingate Lakeside
March 2015 - two weeks Port Orleans French Quarter with free DDP
CupcakeLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #78
Papaboogie
Disney Jedi

50s Prime Time Diner. Show me the chicken.

Lunch at 50s Prime Time Diner was a good choice (in 2010 the combination of late afternoon dinner and a rain storm made this an appalling venue choice - although the food was still good - with a wait of more than an hour despite an ADR!) for a popular restaurant.
The waiter was fun, although not quite as good as 2010 who had been a bit more 'improv', our waiter was fun but did feel as though he was very much on script.
As Shari noted we started with the very crisp and tasty onion rings before I moved onto my personal favourite of Golden Fried Chicken. Were I to win the Lottery tomorrow, I would fill a bath with this wonderful food and bathe and eat in it all. Despite giving you all nightmares and potential future trauma with that image and putting you off chicken for life, I would heartily recommend trying this as it is really a fab dish. Aside from the green stuff (which is no better than the yellow stuff served in 2010 - Shari again has notes on vegetable content as that doesn't actually form any part of my food vocabulary), it was great.
The apple cobbler (apparently seasonal fruit but if anyone has ever had anything but apple, I'd love to know) was delicious too. Quite rich and filling and with a generous portion of ice cream, I thoroughly enjoyed this dessert. A definite hit all round.
This all set me up nicely for an afternoon of Star Tours goodness (which if you hadn't guessed from the avatar, Star Tours is a pretty important part of my holiday).
Papaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #79
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Thanks for that lovely mental image Papaboogie....

Here are a couple more photos from 50's Prime Time Cafe:

As a friend pointed out to me it was very cool that my top matched the wallpaper!
Old 08-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #80
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Wonderful review of 50's PT! I had a ADR there and changed it to Hollywood Brown Derby... But I REALLY want the fried chicken!! LOL maybe I will change the ADR back....
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #81
KristinAnne
DIS Veteran

Everytime people post from 50's Primetime, I long to eat there. Looks so yummy!

KristinAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #82
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
Great reviews!! Thanks!!
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #83
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Joining in and all caught up

Cant wait for those cream cheese wontons from Y&Y in Dec!!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #84
DsnyMama
DIS Veteran

Reviews are looking great

Up Next: October2014
Feb 2014 TR - click HERE
DsnyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #85
meryll83
All it takes is faith and trust... Proud Strawberry Blonde Official DISbride!

I'm sure lots of the tables look the same, but I reckon this is the table we sat at in 2010!
Oh maybe not, just consulted Facebook and our sideboard was pink...

However I did for a moment think Simon had himself a dalek friend, until I again looked closer and realised it was the bottom of the blender!

WDW 91, 93, 03 off-site, 05 ASMo (32,000 WWTBAM) , 07 Pop & BWV (Free Dining & Engaged at Cinderella's Castle!), *09 Wedding Planning Journal* and *Trip Report* Pop, BWV, Poly & Wonder,
10 Pop, 12 Aulani Day Visit, 13 HRH, YC
(Free Dining) & Dream

DLP 05 Cheyenne, 13 Newport Bay

meryll83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #86
Papaboogie
Disney Jedi

Daleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by meryll83 View Post
However I did for a moment think Simon had himself a dalek friend, until I again looked closer and realised it was the bottom of the blender!
How cool would that be??? Totally off topic but the massive amount of love for Doctor Who we came across while in WDW was amazing. My Doctor Pooh mash-up t-shirt got lots of attention and they were selling (out) merchandise in Universal. The good Doctor is taking over the world!!!

Normal dining service will now be resumed.
Papaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #87
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
Wonderful review of 50's PT! I had a ADR there and changed it to Hollywood Brown Derby... But I REALLY want the fried chicken!! LOL maybe I will change the ADR back....
The fried chicken was very delicious! We have never tried the Brown Derby....maybe next time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinAnne View Post
Everytime people post from 50's Primetime, I long to eat there. Looks so yummy!
It is such a fun place to eat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut1149 View Post
Hi
Great reviews!! Thanks!!
Hi! Thanks for taking the time to read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrapagliasotti View Post
Joining in and all caught up

Cant wait for those cream cheese wontons from Y&Y in Dec!!
I am craving them again right now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsnyMama View Post
Reviews are looking great
Thank you Mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meryll83 View Post
I'm sure lots of the tables look the same, but I reckon this is the table we sat at in 2010!
Oh maybe not, just consulted Facebook and our sideboard was pink...

The tables do look similar! This was was just past the reception desk. Wouldn't surprise me if Simon managed to find a Dalek....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaboogie View Post
How cool would that be??? Totally off topic but the massive amount of love for Doctor Who we came across while in WDW was amazing. My Doctor Pooh mash-up t-shirt got lots of attention and they were selling (out) merchandise in Universal. The good Doctor is taking over the world!!!

Normal dining service will now be resumed.
Yes, it's certainly a challenge being on holiday with someone with eye-catching T-shirts....
Old 08-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #88
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Later that evening....Shari forgot to take pics....

So, later that evening, Simon and I found ourselves alone in EPCOT - as you do....

We were feeling peckish so I dragged Simon round to Morocco and one of my fave world showcase CS locations -Tangierine Cafe. I had been there in 2010 but Papaboogie had not. It was a beautiful, balmy evening and the kids had disappeared back to the villa so we went for a romantic meal by ourselves...

I forgot to take photos though - I blame Papaboogie.....

I had the same thing I had last time - a lamb wrap. I love this CS meal - so fresh and tasty. Simon had a Kefta sandwich and I think he was impressed. We found a nice little cubby hole to sit in at the back of the restaurant and we managed to set the world to rights as we munched on our tasty food. The staff here were very friendly and we really enjoyed this little sojourn. I would really recommend a visit to Tangierine Cafe.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #89
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Yachtsman Steakhouse Date night!

So.....the great thing about having two older teenagers in WDW is that you and your honey can go off - just occasionally - and have some alone time....

Simon and I had planned in....one or two... breaks and this was our first.

We had never tried the Yachtsman Steakhouse and we were both very excited to go there. As you may have gathered Simon is quite a fan of a hunk of meat and we were convinced we might be able to find some good hunks of meat at YS....

So we got our glad rags on, and caught the bus to EPCOT - it was a beautiful evening and it was nice to wander through the park.

We checked in at the Steakhouse and peeked at the meat fridge? Locker? Where there was a poor man nipping in and out so he didn't get too cold.

We were taken through to our table and presented with menus. Our server here was very good - very efficient and knowledgeable but not the friendliest. No major complaints though.

We shared a lovely bottle of red wine but I can't for the life of me remember what it was - perhaps Papaboogie can enlighten you when he wades through his rainforest of receipts.....

We were presented with some lovely pull apart onion rolls and some other little bread buns....

These were absolutely delicious and it took a lot of willpower not to scoff the lot!

I knew what appetizer I was having:

The lobster bisque - Maine lobster, herbs de provence biscuit and roe chantilly.

Oh my goodness! This was amazing! The flavours were so intense and delicious. There were thick chunks of lobster in the bisque and the bisque itself was thick and creamy. The roe chantilly was gorgeous - our server said I could mix it into the bisque to add creaminess but I preferred to smear it on the biscuit and dip into the bisque. Definitely one of my favourite starters of the holiday - if not THE best. YUM!

Simon had the charcuterie board:

Smoked duck sausage, wild boar terrine, Chicken pate, mangalista rok pilette, sopressata, artisanal cheeses and accoutrements.

Great choice - he loved this!

Onto the main courses - I had to go with the filet mignon with mashed potatoes and cabernet sauce:

This was a wonderful steak. So tender and succulent. I love any dish with mashed potatoes and the sauces was a great accompaniment.

Simon had the New York strip steak with potato gratin and peppercorn sauce:

I think he really enjoyed this but no doubt he will give you all the details himself!

For dessert I had a sort of peanutty chocolate dessert which was lovely:

Simon had the trio of sorbet:

Phew! So much food! I was beginning to flag:

We finished off a lovely meal with a coffee each:

We would definitely go back here. It was a wonderful meal. YS is a signature restaurant so it was two dining credits each. But well worth it.

Big Fatty Rating: A whopping 9 out of 10 from me!!!

Coming up: We venture out of WDW to.....Universal!
Old 08-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #90
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Glad you had a great meal at yachtsman - everything looks fantastic
20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 39 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12

Last edited by dixonsontour; 08-27-2012 at 04:29 PM.
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: