Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #301
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

yeah, there's no way in heck I would ever drive. We drove this summer to Maryland and it was pure torture for my 5 year old (and thus the rest of us, lol). And we even broke the drive up by stopping for a night in NJ/NYC each way.
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
*8/2014: 2nd Kid-Free trip ~ WL
NEXT UP: *4/15: 3rd Family Trip ~ CSR!*
Old 08-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #302
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtwoboys View Post
I could not be in a car with my husband and 2 boys for 2 days!!!!! I will take the 2 1/2 hour flight, as long as it is affordable. They drive me nuts on the car ride to Cape cod, so noooo way could I do it to Florida
Lol, neither could I! Our limit for the car is 6 hours (a Google-map estimate of 6 hours, that is, which realistically takes us more like 9). No one in my family is a very good car traveller, we have to take lots of breaks, and usually stop to clean someone up from a bought of car-sickness. But coming from Colorado, driving would never be an option for Disney anyway. So we depend on finding affordable airfare. Fortunately, we've always managed to get pretty lucky with a bit of searching and stalking.

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA | 2014: POR
Upcoming Trips: 12/14 - WL | 7/15 - ASMusic | 3/16 - DCL Fantasy - W.Car (7 nights)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #303
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

What should I do???

I've had my eyes on airfare for quite some time, and like I said before, won't be able to book through SW until they open up fares probably in October...

We usually fly out of MHT which is only 10 minutes from our house and fly SW.

If we chose to fly out of Boston (an hour away) and fly Jet Blue, I can get airfare for the four of us for just under $1k!!!!
But, I would have to fly out two days earlier, so adding two nights onto our trip, which weve said we would do at AoA..and we'd have to pay for transport down to Boston and back.

Even with the extra cost of the extra nights and transport though, we're looking at $500-$1000 less than what SW is posting for similar time frames (again actual fare not available yet)

Would you just jump on the Boston airfare??? I've never flown Jet Blue, is it good?

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 08-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #304
momtwoboys
DIS Veteran

Jetblue it awesome!!!! I am hoping to book with them if the prices come down. We always fly out of BDL (hartford) which is 30 minutes from our house. I have always had great luck booking on the day fares were released....except this time! I felt sick looking at the prices and they have nOT budged! So I will now look to SW to fly out on April 12th, and JB on the return.
DS (14)
Lily
Old 08-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #305
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsmike View Post
I should be waiting until the 4/13 dates are released, but if I can find a one-way on SW for $100 or under for the 11th or 12th I will probably book it. SW doesn't have change fees so I can change it later. But I just can't stand it. Besides if it doesn't work out to change the ticket then I get another day or two at Disney World.

We are staying at Bonnet Creek and eating mostly off property or in the room, so I don't have but a couple (maybe?) dining plans to make. I don't make touring plans anymore. This limbo thing is killing me.

I have already changed my cruise plans twice. I went from the Dream, to RC Allure of the Seas, and now to RC Freedom of the Seas.

Now what? But doesn't April sound like a lovely time to be at Disney World?
It sounds like your dates have changed from what I originally listed in the first post. I'm guessing April 13 - 18 but don't want to change it until I hear from you. Update me here and I'll get you updated on the first page asap. Just curious too, why did you switch from a Disney cruise to RC?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #306
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMom1981 View Post
You frighten me! We are planning on driving from CT because I am a baby who hates to fly AND flights with our kids were miserable travel this summer (as compared to 2 days of car travel...see, CRAZY). I guess I will be on flight watch.... but we need 3 tickets and I don't want to spend $800 sooo maybe I need this one trip to then declare "Never again!"
You'll get some good driving tips (routes, places to stay, ideas for the kids, etc.) over on http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2815923 -- For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III).

Have you considered AutoTrain?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #307
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

I just did some updating to the first post. Please take a look and let me know if I need to make any changes.

Also, can someone tell me how to put just the clickable title of a link but not actually show the address? I'm not sure but maybe this is called embedding? I know I've read on the boards before how to do this but gosh, when I finally want to try it, I can't find how to do it.

Last thing. I'm on another computer tonight, an older one (babysitting one of the grands) and when I looked at the first post on this computer, I have to say it looks awful. Is that the way you all see it too? Maybe I should change the font. Suggestions? (Actually, I like the way this font looks -- much cleaner.)
Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #308
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie

You'll get some good driving tips (routes, places to stay, ideas for the kids, etc.) over on http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2815923 -- For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III).

Have you considered AutoTrain?
YES, but I think April might be prime time because one way was more than flights would cost!!!!! Thanks for posting the link to the thread for the crazy driving idea

Maybe we can book flights and put Christmas presents towards paying for them #tackyanddesperate

August 2014 Trip Report (In progress) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3324325

Pre -Trip Report for August 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3215904

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
August 2013 Walt Disney World - Pop Century
Old 08-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #309
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie
I just did some updating to the first post. Please take a look and let me know if I need to make any changes.

Also, can someone tell me how to put just the clickable title of a link but not actually show the address? I'm not sure but maybe this is called embedding? I know I've read on the boards before how to do this but gosh, when I finally want to try it, I can't find how to do it.

Last thing. I'm on another computer tonight, an older one (babysitting one of the grands) and when I looked at the first post on this computer, I have to say it looks awful. Is that the way you all see it too? Maybe I should change the font. Suggestions? (Actually, I like the way this font looks -- much cleaner.)
Thanks for the add....I may or may not have changed my mind again into booking POP instead of BC. It is a whirlwind of chaos here!!! Be ready for a grand announcement when I book something lol (not that that solidifies a decision or anything ha).

August 2014 Trip Report (In progress) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3324325

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 08-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #310
Hoyt31
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMom1981 View Post
You frighten me! We are planning on driving from CT because I am a baby who hates to fly AND flights with our kids were miserable travel this summer (as compared to 2 days of car travel...see, CRAZY). I guess I will be on flight watch.... but we need 3 tickets and I don't want to spend $800 sooo maybe I need this one trip to then declare "Never again!"
We are driving down from CT the same time with 3 children. This will be the third time we have driven. Its not bad. We go over night so the kids are asleep for most of the trip. Crossing my finger for a PIN for April 13-22. We are booked at GF already.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #311
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt31

We are driving down from CT the same time with 3 children. This will be the third time we have driven. Its not bad. We go over night so the kids are asleep for most of the trip. Crossing my finger for a PIN for April 13-22. We are booked at GF already.
What is PIN? GF looks beautiful!

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 08-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #312
cherylsmike
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
It sounds like your dates have changed from what I originally listed in the first post. I'm guessing April 13 - 18 but don't want to change it until I hear from you. Update me here and I'll get you updated on the first page asap. Just curious too, why did you switch from a Disney cruise to RC?
I am waiting on airfares before making final changes to the Disney portion of the trip. I am hoping for April 13-20 at Disney. I will make sure to post as soon as I have final plans (well they were final) Thank you for paying such close attention and keeping the thread up to date. I love how active it has become and it must be a lot of work to keep up with. Thanks again.

I started with a 3 night cruise on Disney Dream just to see if I could handle the movement of a ship. Then I made it a 4 night cruise, because what was the point in trying a cruise if I don't have a sea day. In trying to be open to all possibilites (all of our vacations have been Disney) I checked out a review here on the DISBoards Shrek Takes On Mickey: The Dreamworks Experience Aboard Allure of the Seas 9/18-25 and had my DH check it out too.

He wanted to go on the big ship. The kids and I left him at home for our Christmas trip so I wanted him to have his vacation. We went back and forth about it. I love Disney and wanted all the Magic that would come with the Dream. He is a police officer and would much rather deal with lots of kids on our couple's trip than the party crowd that we have heard frequent the other cruise lines. But the Allure was impressive. Largest ship in the world and all that. A zipline, two wave simulators, a bigger adult pool, and the aqua thearter didn't hurt either. It is also the most stable. And also only cost $300 more to go on a 7 night Allure cruise than a 4 night Disney Dream cruise. He wanted a longer cruise so I surprised him with an Allure booking.

We both really still really wanted to do a Disney cruise, but he still wanted 7 nights. The Disney Fantasy cost more than he was willing to pay. In the end we settled on RC Freedom of the Seas because it leaves from Port Canaveral which is a much more manageable drive than Allure at Ft. Lauderdale from Disney World. The Freedom gets great reviews, leaves out the same day, had more desirable ports of call for us, and was $300 cheaper than Allure (just a bonus). Not to mention if I spend the week hugging the toliet I would rather it not be on a Disney ship. So for the same price as the 4 night cruise on Disney Dream we are going on a 7 night Freedom of the Seas. I have not totally cancelled my Disney booking and if I can handle a ship then I will hopefully take a Diseny cruise in 2014 or maybe sooner...

That may be much more information than you wanted

P.S. Links...type the name you want for the link, highlight that name then click the insert hyperlink button (the globe with paperclip thing) and paste link into the pop up box - just looked this up so I could do it
March 2004 Disneyland Hotel, March 2006 Port Orlean's Riverside, February 2008 POP Century, May/June 2009 Port Orlean's French Quarter, August 2010 Wilderness Lodge, February 2011 POP/Coronado Springs, December 2011 Port Orlean's Riverside, April 2013 Port Orlean's Riverside, June 2014 Port Orlean's Riverside
Old 08-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #313
cherylsmike
Mouseketeer

DH and I will drive if we have to, but we would much rather not and it's only a 22 hour drive without the kids.

I can't sleep in cars and we don't want to take up precious vacation time driving. I must admit to liking the idea of spending so much time with him in an enclosed space since we work opposite shifts. Maybe if we had more time and a really good audiobook we might go for it.

I will say that we have made the drive with the kids before. We drove straight through (rather DH did-probably why he doesn't want to drive again). They were younger then, 9 and 7. I think it was much easier then than it would be now as teenage hormones have not improved their patience with each other. We had movies and coloring books. My DD had a couple carsick episodes, but she would still rather drive than fly if given a choice.
March 2004 Disneyland Hotel, March 2006 Port Orlean's Riverside, February 2008 POP Century, May/June 2009 Port Orlean's French Quarter, August 2010 Wilderness Lodge, February 2011 POP/Coronado Springs, December 2011 Port Orlean's Riverside, April 2013 Port Orlean's Riverside, June 2014 Port Orlean's Riverside
Old 08-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #314
momtwoboys
DIS Veteran

just snagged a flight for the way there! BDL to MCO on APril 12th for 135.00!!! Thank goodness! Now I know that we are going! I will watch Jetblue for the return, but probably end up with SW when those dates release So we will be leaving a day earlier than I thought, hmmm do we stay until the 19th or the 20th?????
DS (14)
Lily
Old 08-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #315
Lesleyluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

arrive April 7th..leave April 21st!! SSR!!
1998 - Port Orleans French Quarter * 1999 - All Star Music * 2000 - All Star Sports * 2001 - All Star Movies * 2002 - All Star Movies * 2004 - All Star Movies * 2006 - Caribbean Beach HONEYMOON!* 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside *2010 - Old Key West* 2013 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
*2015 - Old Key West

Magical Disneyland Paris Visits!2001 - Santa Fe Hotel * 2002 - Disneyland Hotel[COLOR="New York[/B][/B][/B][/B]

PaleGreen"]* 2005 - Hotel New York
[/[B]2011 - Hotel New York

Disneyland & California AdventureOct 2009 - 1st visit!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: