Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
wishing4PA
Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or ... and stuck smack dab in the middle!

anyone know of a volume discount on 9 identical photo books?

My mom & I may be putting together an 8x8 photo book of family recipes. If we do this, mom wants a copy, my siblings and I would each get a copy, and mom's grandkids would each get a copy.

That makes 9 copies of the exact same book.

So far, I have looked at Snapfish, Shutterfly, and Walmart. I can get progressively cheaper shipping (all 9 would be shipped to the same home - or, if store pickup were an option we could do that.)

But no luck on any volume pricing of the books themselves. I can see the reasons why, this stuff is probably all automated, so it might not cost the companies any less per book to manufacture, but they'd be more likely to get our business with a volume discount.

Anyone know of any other companies I should look into (major U.S. national company preferred, due to our location)?
Thanks in advance!
* 7/2013 (YC with DD), 1/2012 (Poly - me, DD, DN, DN, DSis, thanks! ), 7/2010 (FW - the Poly5+Mom), 2/2009 (DD4 & DH's 1st visit! ASMo), Day trip ~1990, Overnight "Jazz Night" with HS band (1978?), ~10 Day trips in 1970's-80's (E tickets!)
* Disney World Preview Center (1970?) An amusement park here, in the middle of nowhere, far from the beaches, nowhere near anything, even dinky little Orlando? That'll never fly!
wishing4PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

Have you looked at office supply stores? They do that sort of thing. Unless you were looking for photobooks specifically.

Other than that, I suggest you sign up for Artscow.com. They give away free credits constantly. And sometimes will give away like 8 free photo books.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

Are you sure Snapfish doesn't? We used them (5 years ago) to make kindergarten "yearbooks" and got I think 25% off. Maybe it has changed (or maybe because we had a great volume), but I know we did it then because I ordered them.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
My3Princez
DIS Veteran

blurb . com does a fantastic job on their books and volume price discounts start at 7 copies. I have tried several companies and blurb is far and away the best quality and value. I have used them for 5 years. They even had a cookbook layout last I looked . . .
My3Princez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
SweetPeasMom2
DIS Veteran

What are you looking for? Does it have to be 8x8? Do you want a softbound or hardbound book? What is your price range you are thinking?

DH me ds dd
SweetPeasMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
wishing4PA
Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or ... and stuck smack dab in the middle!

Thanks, everybody for the ideas! I'll check them out. I did find a Shutterfly help forum answer that indicated that Shutterfly might have volume pricing starting at 10 books. It's supposed to be for yearbooks, but the forum posting said it really didn't matter what sort of book it is. If it is cheap enough, that could work, and we'd just have a spare. I would have to request a quote though, and I'm not sure I'm ready to do that. I'd really rather just see the pricing up front I guess because we're barely starting in on this project, but depending on the other options, I might just contact them for that quote.

I would rather do a photo book, partly because I would like the book to have pictures and a pretty cover, and look at least semi-professional, and that's in my familiarity zone. But you're right, worm761, I should check into the office stores. I might be able to do essentially the same thing there.

Thanks again to all of you! Great suggestions!
* 7/2013 (YC with DD), 1/2012 (Poly - me, DD, DN, DN, DSis, thanks! ), 7/2010 (FW - the Poly5+Mom), 2/2009 (DD4 & DH's 1st visit! ASMo), Day trip ~1990, Overnight "Jazz Night" with HS band (1978?), ~10 Day trips in 1970's-80's (E tickets!)
* Disney World Preview Center (1970?) An amusement park here, in the middle of nowhere, far from the beaches, nowhere near anything, even dinky little Orlando? That'll never fly!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
wishing4PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPeasMom2 View Post
What are you looking for? Does it have to be 8x8? Do you want a softbound or hardbound book? What is your price range you are thinking?
It wouldn't have to be 8x8 exactly, but I think 20 pages at that size would probably give us all the space we need, and the 8x8 can easily fit in kitchen cabinets. Also, that size is more likely to be in our price range (see below.)

Definitely hardbound, since it's supposed to hold up for decades. Fold flat hardbound would be even better, given this will hold recipes, but I really don't know if it is an option at all.

Price range ... well, I think around $20 more or less per book would be okay, it just seems we could do better with 9 copies, and Mom is in on this. Mom is a complete cheapskate, er, smart money manager. I need to bring Mom a quote that doesn't make her go !

Wow, Worm761! Artscow looks super cheap! So much less I find myself wondering "what's the catch?", lol. Maybe there is none. I'm going to have to look at that more. Ah ... there is one issue ... you don't save per book on shipping. I think they ship from Hong Kong. So my per book savings could be eaten up by shipping costs. And, the books might take longer to get here once they are ordered. I'm not ruling them out yet, but that combined with them being a new name to me, might sway me against them. They have some awesome photo gifts there, too. Surely I "need" a photo umbrella while I'm cooking with my new book?

Last edited by wishing4PA; 08-25-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: artscow note and addition to artscow note
Old 08-26-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

The best I've ever gotten was 1/2 price for duplicate copies. It was on Shutterfly...I ordered 4-8x11 books. The first was $29.95, and the other 3 were $15.
I don't know how often they do that, but I know I paid more for a similar scenario last year.

I've gotten codes for 50% off certain sizes in the past, but I haven't used them, because I pretty much only make my books for presents at Christmas.
You could sign up for offers from all the different sites, and wait until one of them sent you a good discount, but of course then you'd be dealing with a time crunch trying to get everything formatted before the offer ran out.

It looks like Walgreens has a promotion right now that allows you to get 40% off a photo order. It seems to be applicable to photo books, but maybe only 8x11s.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
mommyjam
Mouseketeer

Picaboo has an offer right now thru 8/28 for buy one book get one free. You can do a 20 page book there for 9.99 for a soft cover or 19.99 for a hard cover.
mommyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
wishing4PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain View Post
The best I've ever gotten was 1/2 price for duplicate copies. It was on Shutterfly...I ordered 4-8x11 books. The first was $29.95, and the other 3 were $15.
I don't know how often they do that, but I know I paid more for a similar scenario last year.

I've gotten codes for 50% off certain sizes in the past, but I haven't used them, because I pretty much only make my books for presents at Christmas.
You could sign up for offers from all the different sites, and wait until one of them sent you a good discount, but of course then you'd be dealing with a time crunch trying to get everything formatted before the offer ran out.

It looks like Walgreens has a promotion right now that allows you to get 40% off a photo order. It seems to be applicable to photo books, but maybe only 8x11s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyjam View Post
Picaboo has an offer right now thru 8/28 for buy one book get one free. You can do a 20 page book there for 9.99 for a soft cover or 19.99 for a hard cover.
Thanks! Those are more good places I had forgotten about!
No way can I get these done by 2 days from now. If I wind up going with a code, I'll have to just make sure everything is pretty much written up and all the pictures in a directory together then keep my eyes out for codes. Then I just have to get Mom on board with the plan. We have a lot of cooking to do before we can make the books, if we want pictures of the food.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
soinlove808
Earning My Ears

Have you looked into ARTSCOW . COM i think new costomers get a few free books, and if not they send me an email like everyother month with 10 free books... check them out..
Old 08-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
scootch
DIS Veteran

There are so many shutterfly free 8x8 book codes out there. I have two right now not using, not sure what the shipping would be, as you would have to order each separately, but that might be a way to go.
~~Nov 2005 Contemporary
~~November 2006 Contemporary Making memories with my 21 year old niece with cancer
Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007
~~November 2007 WL
~~Nov 08 VWL
~~Nov 09 WDW BLT DiscoveryCove SeaWorld and DCL Wonder
~~April 2011 B2B Disney Dream
~~Nov 2011 WDW/BLT
~~Nov 2012 VWL/ Eastern Fantasy
~~ June 2013 DISNEYLAND/CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
~~Feb 2014 Contemporary/ Disney Eastern Fantasy
~~Nov 2014 Disney Grand Floridian Villas
scootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
wishing4PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by soinlove808 View Post
Have you looked into ARTSCOW . COM i think new costomers get a few free books, and if not they send me an email like everyother month with 10 free books... check them out..
I looked last night based on someone else's suggestion. Right now I'm leaning against them, but your recommendation is more in their favor. What is not in their favor is the shipping does not get any cheaper on multiple books, as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootch View Post
There are so many shutterfly free 8x8 book codes out there. I have two right now not using, not sure what the shipping would be, as you would have to order each separately, but that might be a way to go.
I'm doing my second free 8x8 Shutterfly book right now! It's from my coke rewards. But it's a different book entirely. Just one copy for me, of DD8's birthdays so far. Starts with ultrasound (well, not on a birthday, but I like it in the book) and goes to her 8th birthday! It's kind of my "catch up" book for all those years that weren't in albums or books at all.
But I don't think it's likely I could use 9 free book codes all at the same time, so I was thinking volume pricing or BOGO would be the way to go on the recipe books.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
TEK224

Never gets tired of hearing "You're going to Disney again?!"

Have you looked at CVSphoto.com? I did a photo book a couple weeks ago and there was a BOGO special.

I'm working on a type of yearbook for a work project and will need 50 books. I asked the CVS store manager about discounts or if I could use the BOGO code for that quantity. She said on-line has different promos than the store (even though I pick the books up at the store same day) and she wasn't aware of any quantity limits on the on-line orders. So, for me, the 50% savings will be great!
Old 08-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
pandamom
I want to go to WDW NOW!
Loves Panera Bread

I'm another artscow fan. They run coupons /specials all the time if you are registered and / or you like them on facebook. I've seen some great deals w/free shipping in the past.

Good luck!

Edited to add:

Found this current special:

4 for $25, select photo gifts from the link below. Code:TWENTYFIVE4, Ends: Sep 7 (Free worldwide shipping)
http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/twenty-five-four

Options include 4x4, 6x6 and 7x5 20 page books

Last edited by pandamom; 08-26-2012 at 03:12 PM.
pandamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: