Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
ChattaDIS
Earning My Ears

Best place to buy running shoes?

Does anyone have any secrets on the best place to buy quality running shoes? I know there are discounts out there for last years models but what about current models? I can get 10% off at my local running store but wanted to do better.
ChattaDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
jcieutat
Mouseketeer

Roadrunnersports.com

You can join the vip club for like $2 annually and then you get 10% off every purchase and shipping is free. They have been running a 25% off promotion recently. They also allow a 60 day return policy if you don't like the shoes. I am an avid runner and go through several pair per year.

runningwarehouse.com is also a good one.

35 trips and counting!!!
jcieutat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
ludari
DIS Veteran

You can try going to a running expo. I know that shoes are discounted at the expos for the runDisney events.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Please do one thing prior to heading to the net for the better deal. If you were fitted by your local running store, please purchase the shoes. Yes, you are paying full retail, but you are also receiving a service. After the first pair, the head to the net stores or other places. Also, many running stores will offer discounts if you join a local running club.

I only say this as these small businesses struggle for survival and gladly offer help, but if no one ever purchases a shoe, then they will leave.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
ChattaDIS
Earning My Ears

We did buy our last shoes from the local run store. I totally agree about buying from them if using their services they are incredibly important to help with finding the right shoe
ChattaDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcieutat View Post
Roadrunnersports.com

You can join the vip club for like $2 annually and then you get 10% off every purchase and shipping is free. They have been running a 25% off promotion recently. They also allow a 60 day return policy if you don't like the shoes. I am an avid runner and go through several pair per year.

runningwarehouse.com is also a good one.
Ditto on the roadrunnersports. Thats where I went. They put me on treadmil to check my gait. Put my feet on something that molded to my foot to see what shoe works best. Ended up with a pair of Brooks that I love!!!!
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

I will actually go so far as to say buy your shoes from your local running store- and get fitted EVERY time you need a pair of shoes. Age, slight weight fluctuations, spinal subluxations, they all add up to a slightly different fit each time.

I get fitted each and every time, and it was only my most recent pair that didn't work out so well for me- and they accepted them for a full refund even after I had put 30 miles on them.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
DisneyRunnerChick
Princess of the Sneakers

I can't tell you how awesome my local running store is; not only do they offer free fittings, classes, and water for local runners, but they are always willing to sponsor any local events -and I live near ATL, which has a huge running market. In addition, when I cracked the face of my Garmin three months after I purchased it, they replaced it with no problems and no receipt!

I've been tempted by these Internet deals, but I feel like that would be cheating on my running store. My advice would be to stick with a business like that, especially since I know if something goes wrong, they got my back.

Me-; DFi-; DS-; DD-
Walt Disney World Half Marathon 2011, 2012; Wine and Dine Half Marathon 2011; Princess Half Marathon 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge 2012; ToT 2012; Wine and Dine Half 2012

Off property 2003; Off property 2004; PC March 2006; POR September 2010; ALSS January 2011; CS March 2011; POR October 2011; YC/PC January 2012; ALSS February 2012; AKL May 2012; POR September 2012; CB September 2012; AoA/ALSMusic November 2012; CSR January 2013

DisneyRunnerChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Please do one thing prior to heading to the net for the better deal. If you were fitted by your local running store, please purchase the shoes. Yes, you are paying full retail, but you are also receiving a service. After the first pair, the head to the net stores or other places. Also, many running stores will offer discounts if you join a local running club.

I only say this as these small businesses struggle for survival and gladly offer help, but if no one ever purchases a shoe, then they will leave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
I will actually go so far as to say buy your shoes from your local running store- and get fitted EVERY time you need a pair of shoes. Age, slight weight fluctuations, spinal subluxations, they all add up to a slightly different fit each time.

I get fitted each and every time, and it was only my most recent pair that didn't work out so well for me- and they accepted them for a full refund even after I had put 30 miles on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunnerChick View Post
I can't tell you how awesome my local running store is; not only do they offer free fittings, classes, and water for local runners, but they are always willing to sponsor any local events -and I live near ATL, which has a huge running market. In addition, when I cracked the face of my Garmin three months after I purchased it, they replaced it with no problems and no receipt!

I've been tempted by these Internet deals, but I feel like that would be cheating on my running store. My advice would be to stick with a business like that, especially since I know if something goes wrong, they got my back.

Cannot agree with this enough. I LOVE my local running store - they are super friendly, knowledgeable and seem to really care. I went in last week ready to buy a new pair of shoes after losing 25 pounds, and the guy I worked with had a different idea - just take out the inserts I'd been using for the past 3 years. He actually steered me away from buying a brand new $100 pair of shoes and he was totally correct! Also, I find that since they know I'm a regular customer they'll throw me a little discount of 10-15% here and there...always a really nice surprise. It's really a great business plan for them, as I wouldn't go anywhere else to get important running gear.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

[QUOTE=Ariel484;

Cannot agree with this enough. I LOVE my local running store - they are super friendly, knowledgeable and seem to really care. I went in last week ready to buy a new pair of shoes after losing 25 pounds, and the guy I worked with had a different idea - just take out the inserts I'd been using for the past 3 years. He actually steered me away from buying a brand new $100 pair of shoes and he was totally correct! Also, I find that since they know I'm a regular customer they'll throw me a little discount of 10-15% here and there...always a really nice surprise. It's really a great business plan for them, as I wouldn't go anywhere else to get important running gear. [/QUOTE]

Another thing I would recommend is to ask them the next time you are there if they participate in any product testing. I was at an injury prevention clinic and they were offering sign ups for consumer product testing. I figured WHY NOT and gave them my information. I'm now emailed once a month or so for a consumer test panel. It normally takes between 30 minutes and an hour, they normally schedule after business hours, and I go to an independent test facility and try things. I lovingly refer to them as "the snack people"- I've been testing energy gels/goo for the past few months. I go after work, try between 3 and 20 energy gel products, and they hand me a VERY generous gift card to my local running store on the way out. I've not had to pay for shoes in several years out of pocket- I'm able to use the gift cards.

If you have a very common foot size (men's 9, women's 7, normal width is one of the most common) there is a frequent need for shoe product testing- aka you get a free pair of running shoes in exchange for your feedback. Occasionally the companies will ask you to mail the shoes back (at their expense) so they can measure wear after x number of miles- still a great deal- you get fresh shoes frequently, and you don't have to pay

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Qltrgrl2
DIS Veteran

I buy all my running shoes from my local running store. They offer periodic discounts and I always manage to get the shoes on sale. During the month of February, they had a "leap year" sale, one item at 29% off for an example. I do not know if you can get a better price on the net. Plus, I would never know what were the appropriate shoes for the type of running I do, without the professional help they offer.
Qltrgrl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
APrunner
Mouseketeer

runningwarehouse.com. Their prices are usually better without a discount. Posters here can use the wishraced code for 15% off. If the code does not work online, call them. For some brands, like Brooks for example, they will honor the code on the phone, but not online. Just an agreement they have with Brooks. I prefer Saucony anyway, all is good with them.

I agree with supporting the local guys if they provide a service. But for those of us with no good local places to go, runningwarehouse.com is a great option.
APrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #13
wellsronald18
Earning My Ears

I totally agree that local running store are really good, don’t search here and there, even they provide you lots of facilities and assistance, what else you want?
wellsronald18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
Melissahac99
Earning My Ears

I love Running Fit. Knowledgable staff that are runners. They size you and check your gait. You pay retail but it's worth the great customer service!
Melissahac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunnerChick View Post

I live just outside ATL and would love to know which store you go to. I was telling DH just the other day that I need new shoes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: