Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
kristilew
DIS Veteran

Thanks for this update! That sounds much more reasonable to me than the original explanation from the ABD rep. I think maybe instead of worrying and trying to book something now to fill up that time, we will play it by ear when we get there. We will also add a flashlight to our packing list, for those dim rooms at the hacienda!

Can't wait to read your full report!
kristilew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristilew View Post
Thanks for this update! That sounds much more reasonable to me than the original explanation from the ABD rep. I think maybe instead of worrying and trying to book something now to fill up that time, we will play it by ear when we get there. We will also add a flashlight to our packing list, for those dim rooms at the hacienda!

Can't wait to read your full report!
I think thats a good plan,Kristalew...also, we found the guides to be most helpful about fitting in what you wanted into the free time. We had 3 of us who wanted to get more sweaters from Jose Cotacacchi in Peguche. On the day we went to the Otavalo market, we were taken there by the one of the extra local guides, while the rest of the group headed straight back the Hacienda. Another person on our trip wanted to buy the large musical instrument (think big like a hockey stick; he planned to ship it home), one of the shadow guides picked that up for him a day later. They really do try to do whatever you want! So if you decide to try the falls, I'll bet they'd try to accommodate that for you somehow! That said, the Hacienda property is really lovely, so spending more time there just reading in the courtyard would be nice too!
Absolutely put the headlamp or flashlight on your list...it's one of my major recommendations. Plus the Hacienda is a " campus " so our building was a a short stroll from the main building and having the flashlight to walk home after dinner was very useful.
Also, heed the advice here to pack warmly for the Hacienda...even the foothills of the Andes are at high elevation and we found it cool in the evenings. The dining area is heated with a big fireplace, but the doors remain open, so I wore my lightweight fleece and my windbreaker at dinner each night, and did wear my lightweight fleece gloves to and from the main building at night. I'm a pretty hearty New Englander used to the cold, dont often feel cool, to me this felt like October in northern NE, sunny and 70s during the day, 50s to 60s at night.
Of course, this is also a good excuse to buy beautiful woolens! Several on our trip wore their new sweaters to dinner I brought home a suitcase of woolens! So also pack an extra duffle to fill with dirty laundry so you can use your suitcase for all the sweaters, weavings, scarves and blankets. You won't believe the prices for the quality!
I can't wait to write my review...but DH is still madly working in photos, and I can't get near the computer yet! Next week, after school has started and I get back from our Labor Day weekend trip to Maine, I'll be able to start!
familygoboston is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: