Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #46
cookingqueen
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 44

I miss Brenda too, she was the best, I miss getting the most thorough info from her. I was going to email for our trip in Oct, but now I am not sure its worth it!
cookingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #47
Silvermist999
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingqueen View Post
I miss Brenda too, she was the best, I miss getting the most thorough info from her. I was going to email for our trip in Oct, but now I am not sure its worth it!
I did not know Brenda left? We went to WDW last year and I dealt with Brenda on my kids' food allergies. But in the end, we decided to play it safe, and not eat at the parks, and just prepare food in our villa and then pack food to bring in to the parks ourselves. We are planning another trip for next May and hope her replacement(s) is just as helpful.
Silvermist999 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #48
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by book_junkie View Post
I sent an email this morning asking for info for "weird" allergies not on their standard list and for the handout we got last year for those on a gluten free diet, and just now (2:50 pm central time ) got the allergy form and a 6 page PDF that's labeled Special Diets reference sheet (dated 6/16/11). I'd be happy to share if anyone's interested, just PM me so that I can email it to you.

It's definitely shorter than the one I got last year- a lot of the suppliers for the specialty products and prepackaged snacks have dropped off...

I just got my updated list with the following statement:

"Privileged and Confidential. This communication is strictly private and
contains information intended solely for the addressee(s). Access to
this communication by parties other than the intended recipient(s) is
unauthorized. If you have received this communication in error and are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
action is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful."


I would not forward emails from Special Diets.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #49
bamgirl
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4

My family and I are going to Disney in Oct. and are on the Dining Plan for the first time we are excited about this opportunity. I have a special diet that I am on and can not eat any spices(except garlic), can not have tomatoes, no citrus of any form. Do I need to call the restaurants personally or just fill out the form you all are talking about? Thanks for your help.
__________________
bamgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #50
brown1442
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 214

I was shocked by the differences in the emails I received 2 years ago compared to the one I just got from "special diets". Our last trip they were SO cordial and bent over backwards trying to make everything easy. The email I got a few days ago was pretty much... here's the info now fend for yourself!
brown1442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #51
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran
 
clanmcculloch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,570

brown, I know exactly what you mean, but I do want to assure you that you fall in the category of folks who needs to email back. If you look near the bottom of the generic email, they state that folks who have 4 or more allergies should fill out the allergy form and return it to them. If you have specific questions, ask them; they'll forward the email to the appropriate person(s) to answer and the majority of these people will get back to you. It's not like when Brenda was in charge, but they WILL still take care of you.

Now if only they'd start working with Babycakes. I don't know if Babycakes would work for you or not because if I recall your child is allergic to vanilla, is that right? You'd probably want to contact Babycakes directly to find out just what if anything of theirs would be safe. They are free of lots of major allergens but you have some not so common ones if I'm remembering correctly.
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DD(14) DSD(32) DSSil (41) DGD (newborn) DSD(30) DGS(4)




Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010


February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #52
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown1442 View Post
I was shocked by the differences in the emails I received 2 years ago compared to the one I just got from "special diets". Our last trip they were SO cordial and bent over backwards trying to make everything easy. The email I got a few days ago was pretty much... here's the info now fend for yourself!
The new emails do have a "fend for yourself" feel to them especially if you are doing counter service/snacks. We used to have amazing experiences with sit down meals, most of the chefs were awesome. Now I think they are just overwhelmed. Now everyone has a "need". They are no longer dealing with with true medical needs/allergies, but they have to deal with "picky" people as well. Sadly, those who need the service may suffer.

With our odd allergies, I used to joke with Brenda about some day just getting a "bring your own lunch" email from her. She assured me that would never happen, but.......... LOL
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #53
curtisrs2
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13

Hi book junkie I would love it if you could send me the list that you have. I have a daughter with Fructose Malabsorption which is not covered by the standard allegy warnings and would love some more info for our trip in 4 weeks. thanks Sam
curtisrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #54
curtisrs2
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13

YEs agree fend for yourself

Yes just goa reply that I sent to Brenda and she forwarded on and basicly I agree fend for yourself so if anyone is able to send me even a old email with info on it that would be great as it would be of some help. Thank you
curtisrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #55
cathicool
Disney...On My Mind and In My Heart!
 
cathicool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 600

Yikes! I have an autistic child with 15 food allergies. Our last visit to WDW was in 09. Brenda was awesome. i knew she left because last year we went to DL and told them to contact Brenda, but they informed me Brenda was gone. DL did an awesome job, by the way. We have sailed on DCL more than 10 times with my son and 90% of the time, they do right by him.

Anyway, now I'm starting to get freaked out! We are going to WDW in 2.5 weeks. I filled out the allergy form today, but I expected to get phone calls from the chefs at all our ADR's, is this not the protocol anymore?

Also, we are doing the water parks for the first time and there are no TS restaurants there. I'm going to need some food to give my son during the day while we are there- anyone know which places are more accommodating for food allergies?


TIA!
__________________
Defeat
Autism
Now!
cathicool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #56
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun
 
BearcatsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Queen City
Posts: 8,097

Fend for yourself is right. When I emailed just requesting the form or more information on how to handle my ADRs, I received an email reply back that referred to the way I eat as a "lifestyle choice", therefore I didn't need to make advance arrangements. Needless to say, I fired back saying I wasn't aware diabetes and high blood pressure were now considered choices and not diseases.

I don't know how Special Diets used to be, but I'm not impressed with the way they are now. Next time I simply won't bother.
__________________

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #57
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisrs2 View Post
Yes just goa reply that I sent to Brenda and she forwarded on and basicly I agree fend for yourself so if anyone is able to send me even a old email with info on it that would be great as it would be of some help. Thank you
The old info is not going to be helpful since Disney changed (and is continuing to change) food providers. What was safe, may no longer be safe since it comes from a different source.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #58
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran
 
clanmcculloch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,570

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
Fend for yourself is right. When I emailed just requesting the form or more information on how to handle my ADRs, I received an email reply back that referred to the way I eat as a "lifestyle choice", therefore I didn't need to make advance arrangements. Needless to say, I fired back saying I wasn't aware diabetes and high blood pressure were now considered choices and not diseases.

I don't know how Special Diets used to be, but I'm not impressed with the way they are now. Next time I simply won't bother.
Did you tell them that you're on a diabetes and high blood pressure diet? Did you just say something like you're on a low carb diet? I'm not sure what info they would give you with that because there are lots of different diets that people use for these but if you just said low carb with no other info then with that amount of info it would sound like a lifestyle choice rather than a medically necessary diet. You really need to ask specific questions. First, you just want to say doctor prescribed rather than giving your diagnosis (assuming it's under medical supervision since you're doing so for medical reasons). Second, you need to say exactly what kind of dietary limitations you've got such as maybe below a certain level of sodium. I will warn you though that if you're looking for carb counts then you never could get them from WDW. You need to become efficient at that yourself using something along the lines of Calorie King. Chefs can tell you if they've added any not so obvious sources of carbs to their foods at TS locations and at CS locations you can read the allergy book to see if there's anything that should make you increase your carb estimations but that's as far as they'll go. At TS locations chefs can prepare extremely low sodium meals if that's what you need. Again, you need to be very specific.

If you share your particular needs then maybe some of us can offer you some additional help or advice.
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DD(14) DSD(32) DSSil (41) DGD (newborn) DSD(30) DGS(4)




Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010


February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #59
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun
 
BearcatsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Queen City
Posts: 8,097

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
Did you tell them that you're on a diabetes and high blood pressure diet? Did you just say something like you're on a low carb diet? I'm not sure what info they would give you with that because there are lots of different diets that people use for these but if you just said low carb with no other info then with that amount of info it would sound like a lifestyle choice rather than a medically necessary diet. You really need to ask specific questions. First, you just want to say doctor prescribed rather than giving your diagnosis (assuming it's under medical supervision since you're doing so for medical reasons). Second, you need to say exactly what kind of dietary limitations you've got such as maybe below a certain level of sodium. I will warn you though that if you're looking for carb counts then you never could get them from WDW. You need to become efficient at that yourself using something along the lines of Calorie King. Chefs can tell you if they've added any not so obvious sources of carbs to their foods at TS locations and at CS locations you can read the allergy book to see if there's anything that should make you increase your carb estimations but that's as far as they'll go. At TS locations chefs can prepare extremely low sodium meals if that's what you need. Again, you need to be very specific.

If you share your particular needs then maybe some of us can offer you some additional help or advice.
Yes, I was very specific about my needs in the initial email. I knew I couldn't get carb counts, but I did specify a "doctor prescribed diabetic diet." I also told them I was under doctor's care for HBP and was to consume no more than 1500mg of sodium per day. I then said I had booked all my ADRs and if there was anything else I needed to do regarding letting those chefs know of my situation and needs. I received an email back about 2 hours later, form style, telling me there was no need to notify anyone of my "lifestyle choices" and that the chefs could handle any request I might have.

The verbage is what sent me over the edge, and the whole tone of the letter was very dismissive ... which is what caused me to fire the email back.

I am planning to take a nutritional info book with me, but I also will be checking the allergy binders when I go and talking to the chefs whenever possible. However, I'm very disappointed in the way my situation was handled.
__________________

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #60
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran
 
clanmcculloch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,570

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
Yes, I was very specific about my needs in the initial email. I knew I couldn't get carb counts, but I did specify a "doctor prescribed diabetic diet." I also told them I was under doctor's care for HBP and was to consume no more than 1500mg of sodium per day. I then said I had booked all my ADRs and if there was anything else I needed to do regarding letting those chefs know of my situation and needs. I received an email back about 2 hours later, form style, telling me there was no need to notify anyone of my "lifestyle choices" and that the chefs could handle any request I might have.

The verbage is what sent me over the edge, and the whole tone of the letter was very dismissive ... which is what caused me to fire the email back.

I am planning to take a nutritional info book with me, but I also will be checking the allergy binders when I go and talking to the chefs whenever possible. However, I'm very disappointed in the way my situation was handled.
I don't like the verbiage they used either. IMO it's not just you being sensitive; their response comes across as condescending and dismissive to me too.

I will say that I'm not surprised that they're saying that chefs will help you at the time of your ADR because really that is what'll happen. I'm just saying that their wording and tone is wrong.
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DD(14) DSD(32) DSSil (41) DGD (newborn) DSD(30) DGS(4)




Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010


February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.