Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
AmyPyjamas
Earning My Ears

Compact Digital Camera Help Please

Hiya, i'm going to Disney for the first time soon and since it is my first and maybe only time i will be going i can imagine i will be taking thousands of photos. The camera im currently using is a Canon ixus95 i think so there have been quite a few released since i bought it. Its a good camera but i just want something a little bit better for my Disney Trip. I just want to use it to take shots of scenery,people,parades and maybe some fireworks. My main problem is i don't have a massive budget, as much as i would love to get a dslr or even a newly released compact it just is not in my price range.
I have been looking up a few and i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which might be best to choose. I know they are going to be far from perfect but i want to get some decent photos while am there.

Panasonic Lumix TZ18
Nikon Coolpix S8200
Canon Ixus 230
Canon Ixus 175
and possibly Canon powershot s95 although that is stretching my budget a bit so i would have to know it was a amazing camera to get it.

If anyone could give me some opinions on them,or have other cameras to recommend, or even if you had some photos taken by these cameras so i could see how they come out would be great.
AmyPyjamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
hakepb
DIS Veteran

As far as I know, the first 4 cameras on your list have the same sized, small sensor that most point and shoots use. The s95 has a bigger sensor (more light for each pixel) and a "faster" lens as the lower f/ value indicates. This means more light gets into the sensor. Both of those factors can greatly help indoor, low light conditions. The s95 used to be the best image quality you can get in a pocketable camera, until Sony released the RX-100 with a bigger sensor and faster lens. The s95 is still a quality choice.

The SX-230 does have a much higher zoom reach than the s95. If you would like a lot of zoom (great on the Safari ride) then it will take some photos the s95 cannot reach, but the trade off is not as good in low light conditions.

I know the Nikon 8100 has a decent following, but it is not as good as the higher quality 7000 series.
I don't think last years Panasonic travel zooms were anywhere as good as the Sx230.(this years model jumped back up)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: