DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
madelyn
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,109

Extra guest mid-way during stay?

My sisters are taking my son on a short trip next month and our brother heard about the trip and mentioned he might like to go. He has a non-expiring ticket with days on it and is able to fly stand-by for free so it is possible that he could just "show up". They have a studio so would have gotten a larger unit if they knew he was coming but they will not be over the occupancy if he "shows up" for a couple of nights. Dining reservations are already in place and increasing from 3 people to 4 might not be a big deal or he might opt just to do his own thing. They were considering getting the dining plan BUT if they buy the dining plan for the three of them and then my brother shows up 2 days later, will they be required to get the dining plan for 4 people and for all 4 days? Or can they just issue him another key without dining credits on it? And can he use Magical Express as a last minute thing or should he just be told to take a taxi?
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,734

He should be added to the reservation either before you arrive or when he gets there.

DDP rules state that all on the reservation need to pay for the plan for the entire reservation.

It should be better to add DME 30 days before the trip but it can be added by walking up to the DME counter with the luggage claim checks.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
madelyn
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,109

Hmmm...well obviously we don't want to add him to the reservation and buy him the dining plan and he doesn't show up! The dining plan is looking less and less attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
He should be added to the reservation either before you arrive or when he gets there.

DDP rules state that all on the reservation need to pay for the plan for the entire reservation.

It should be better to add DME 30 days before the trip but it can be added by walking up to the DME counter with the luggage claim checks.

Bill
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,912

Quote:
Originally Posted by madelyn View Post
Hmmm...well obviously we don't want to add him to the reservation and buy him the dining plan and he doesn't show up! The dining plan is looking less and less attractive.
Here's the deal. DVC creates a catch 22 where he must be added in advance but every one must get it. In the situation where you don't know, just wait and add him when he shows up. Technically they could require him to purchase the DP at that time but it's unlikely they will but there is a small risk. we've been in this situation 2 or 3 times where we truly didn't know if someone was coming or not until we arrived or after. We've made both choices, not getting the DP and taking our chances. If he needs ME though he will need to be added to the reservation ahead of time.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
madelyn
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,109

Actually our last trip with the same brother, he had some work uncertainties and wasn't sure if he would be able to come on the trip. I did add dining but he had a plane ticket booked so we were more certain that he would end up coming than not. I did ask about what happened should someone not be able to make the trip and the dining plan was already purchased for that person. At that time (May 2012) I was told we could use his credits or his part of the dining could be refunded. There was less concern there since there would still be 6 people using credits for 7. And it was a split stay so dining was only purchased for the first 2 days. So not a big deal to use those extra credits. But this trip will be only 3 people (including a 10 year old child) for a full 4 night stay so it could be hard for them to use their own credits, much less another person's!
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,912

Quote:
Originally Posted by madelyn View Post
Actually our last trip with the same brother, he had some work uncertainties and wasn't sure if he would be able to come on the trip. I did add dining but he had a plane ticket booked so we were more certain that he would end up coming than not. I did ask about what happened should someone not be able to make the trip and the dining plan was already purchased for that person. At that time (May 2012) I was told we could use his credits or his part of the dining could be refunded. There was less concern there since there would still be 6 people using credits for 7. And it was a split stay so dining was only purchased for the first 2 days. So not a big deal to use those extra credits. But this trip will be only 3 people (including a 10 year old child) for a full 4 night stay so it could be hard for them to use their own credits, much less another person's!
I don't think you were told correctly because I don't think a refund after the 2 day lead time is possible.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
madelyn
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,109

They may have told me I had to cancel the extra person's dining plan before a 2 days' time. I can't remember? But this is what ms told me for a previous trip - maybe then I was thinking that surely he would know if he could not make a trip 2 days beforehand? Or I did not think it was as much of a risk since it was only 2 days' credits (about $100) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I don't think you were told correctly because I don't think a refund after the 2 day lead time is possible.
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 24,559
DISboards Moderator

If you want the dining plan, the least expensive option is to NOT add your brother in advance. Add him if he shows up. He can arrange for a cab or pay for the Mears shuttle to get to the resort from the airport.

If he shows up and gets added to the reservation, he can call magical express and to get ME for free for the return trip to the airport,. If he is added when he arrives, he will not have to get the dining plan. He will have to pay for his meals - i.e., he won't be able to use the dining plan credits.
__________________
Best Wishes -



BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia
 
Simba's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Harlingen, TX, USA
Posts: 25,124

I know that the rules on the DDP used to be if I was staying at a resort for 8 days, and DH showed up for, say, 4 days in the middle, I couldn't buy the DDP for him only for the 4 days he was on the reservation. He would have to get the DDP for the entire 8 days that the studio was booked. That's why we decided not to do the DDP. Especially considering that this was at BCV where he had to be listed on the reservation in order to get a room key and use SB. The strange part is that I got both room keys when I checked in, listing the entire 8 days, so that theoretically (No, I didn't do this) I could have lent or rented out that second room key to anyone wanting to use SB for the days DH wasn't there. They never asked for ID at SB, just the room key.
__________________
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
deegack
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom
I know that the rules on the DDP used to be if I was staying at a resort for 8 days, and DH showed up for, say, 4 days in the middle, I couldn't buy the DDP for him only for the 4 days he was on the reservation. He would have to get the DDP for the entire 8 days that the studio was booked. That's why we decided not to do the DDP. Especially considering that this was at BCV where he had to be listed on the reservation in order to get a room key and use SB. The strange part is that I got both room keys when I checked in, listing the entire 8 days, so that theoretically (No, I didn't do this) I could have lent or rented out that second room key to anyone wanting to use SB for the days DH wasn't there. They never asked for ID at SB, just the room key.
I guess the assumption on disney's part is that you wouldn't give a stranger the key to your room where he could then go and steal your belongings.

Op I believe you can add your brother to the reservation the day he arrives or the day before. This will allow him access to magic express but he would have to make a reservation (they don't take walk up). You can make a reservation for him when you register him at the resort. You have to purchase the ddp at least 48 hours in advance so you can't add him to the dining plan at that point.
deegack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel
 
CarolAnnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 13,532

Like some others have stated, with his plans so up in the air I would just add him if he arrives right at the resort. He will not have to take the Dining Plan then, so go ahead if you want it for your guests initially listed on the reservation.
__________________
CarolAnnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright Š 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.