Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #196
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
WARNING *** RUMOR *** WARNING *** RUMOR

I heard today the "probable" relo spot for FOTLK
. . . between Tucker and Safari there is a gap
. . . the theater would be tucked back (offset) into the gap
. . . this will relocate the "lion show" into Africa

WARNING *** RUMOR *** WARNING *** RUMOR
That would be great! It would make a lot more sense to have it there than in Camp MM anyway.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #197
mccreel
Mouseketeer

I think the problem, for some, for Avatar is the special effects was awesome. but me personally and some people I know believe the story was week and lazy with every character a bad stereotype. We did not see it in the theater, we watched the premier on satellite. Again the special effects were great but we about had to watch it on mute because when they started talking, it ruined it. I know a lot of people liked the movie but a lot did not as well. That's the problem with Disney going with this in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZY3BYZ View Post
Exactly!! I personally am excited about some new attractions coming to AK. We love that park and are excited about enjoying more great attractions there. I trust that Disney will do a great job bringing the imagination and creativity of Avatar to this new area of AK.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #198
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccreel View Post
I think the problem, for some, for Avatar is the special effects was awesome. but me personally and some people I know believe the story was week and lazy with every character a bad stereotype. We did not see it in the theater, we watched the premier on satellite. Again the special effects were great but we about had to watch it on mute because when they started talking, it ruined it. I know a lot of people liked the movie but a lot did not as well. That's the problem with Disney going with this in my opinion.
And in my opinion, I think it's wrong for Disney to try and remake the movie in this expansion, in part, exactly for that reason. I really don't think they are planning on doing that either because the timing of the new land is around when movies 2&3 are supposed to be hitting the theaters, And the ecosystem and environment that Cameron created for the first film (which according to reports, was much more extensive and detailed than what we actually saw in the movie) provides such an amazing opportunity for the Disney Imagineers to create a new and unique experience that will utilize what Pandora offers while simultaneously not being tied into needing to be familiar with the films to enjoy the attractions/area, as well as tieing in with the existing Animal Kingdom storylines and theming. I suspect the Conservation ideas will still be present in the AK area, but AK was designed with Conservation of the planet/resources as a primary thematic element so it won't be out of place in this new section of the park.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #199
debbiedoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall

And in my opinion, I think it's wrong for Disney to try and remake the movie in this expansion, in part, exactly for that reason. I really don't think they are planning on doing that either because the timing of the new land is around when movies 2&3 are supposed to be hitting the theaters, And the ecosystem and environment that Cameron created for the first film (which according to reports, was much more extensive and detailed than what we actually saw in the movie) provides such an amazing opportunity for the Disney Imagineers to create a new and unique experience that will utilize what Pandora offers while simultaneously not being tied into needing to be familiar with the films to enjoy the attractions/area, as well as tieing in with the existing Animal Kingdom storylines and theming. I suspect the Conservation ideas will still be present in the AK area, but AK was designed with Conservation of the planet/resources as a primary thematic element so it won't be out of place in this new section of the park.
I am not thrilled about Avatar Land either. I feel Disney could have used their great imagineers creativity for something else. IMO it was for competition with Harry potter at universal. What's going to happen in the next 10/20 yrs when another huge blockbuster hits. Look at how many classic attractions came down over the years. . I know others won't agree with me and that is ok. I feel it will be out if place with the other lands.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

There are three classes of people: those who see, those who see when they are shown, those who do not see. Leonardo da Vinci
debbiedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #200
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiedoo View Post
I am not thrilled about Avatar Land either. I feel Disney could have used their great imagineers creativity for something else. IMO it was for competition with Harry potter at universal. What's going to happen in the next 10/20 yrs when another huge blockbuster hits. Look at how many classic attractions came down over the years. . I know others won't agree with me and that is ok. I feel it will be out if place with the other lands.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
As i see it the Pandora area of the park would be no more out of place in AK than Beastly Kingdom would've been. What do Dragons and Unicorns have to do with the rest of the park? (Even though they are still represented on the official AK logo and in the parking lot section names)
Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #201
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

At first I thought the Avatar project was rather stupid. Now that I've considered it for a while, I think it might work. At first, I was pretty much only thinking about the movie connection, and I haven't ever even watched the whole movie. It doesn't hold my attention long enough for me to sit through the entire thing. But now, I'm thinking about how it actually LOOKS, the foliage and the creatures, the general conservation message, and I think that could work very well at AK, if Disney does it right. I think I can enjoy the theme, the overall look of the area, without enjoying the movie.

I'm willing to at least keep an open mind and wait until I see it for myself.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #202
dsnygrl21
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know a specific date as to when in January FOTLK is closing?

Disney Fairytale Wedding PJ 9-22-12
Only trips after High school listed:
'03-'04 CP MK PG & Conductor
11/03 YCR
04/04 CR
10/05 POP
08/06 Off-site
05/07 POP
05/08 Off-site
10/10 Engagement trip AKL CL
03-04/11 First DVC Stay POP/BCV
08/11 Big Family Trip OKW/BLT

01/13 Disneymoon BLT TPV
dsnygrl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #203
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnygrl21 View Post
Does anyone know a specific date as to when in January FOTLK is closing?
Officially this is still just a rumor and Disney hasn't announced anything. As such, any dates you hear right now are going to be conjecture.

(For the Test Track Refurb, Rumored close dates even from knowledgable sources weren't entirely accurate and Disney waited until almost the last possible moment to announce it's closure.)
Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #204
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

NOOOOO!!!!! The Lion King show is the best thing about AK! This really stinks b/c we're going in Feb. I couldn't care less about Avatar. Didn't see the movie and never did understand the hoopla - looked kind of dumb to me (no offense to those who liked it). Lion King is rather classic and pretty synonymous w/ AK. Avatar - not so much. What are they thinking??
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #205
garjanjones
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twingle View Post
Boo. We saw it for the first time this past summer, and thought it was amazing! Hopefully the close is temporary, and they'll reopen it at a later time.
My thoughts exactly.
garjanjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #206
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Way too often Disney closes or changes something that's good to make room for something new. I wish that they could sometimes do both. I hope that FOTLK comes back elsewhere. It truly is an excellent show - probably the best at WDW.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #207
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

REALLY not happy about this. We love FOTLK. We also do not love Avatar (politely speaking). Closing FOLTK for any reason would be sad, but especially so because of Avatar.

Hopefully it really will re-open elsewhere. What a great, high-quality show featuring one of Disney's most successful and classic movies - to lose it would be a great shame.

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #208
gusdmh
Mouseketeer

My family's first time at Disney World, and first show was Festival of the Lion King. And now it's being taken away for a boring movie about tall, blue humanoids vs giant robots. Not cool at all.
gusdmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #209
Disco
Hail Eris!

It's fitting I guess depending on whether James indeed did steal the IP for the plot or not. One stolen work to replace another...
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:38 AM   #210
jmm476
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusdmh
My family's first time at Disney World, and first show was Festival of the Lion King. And now it's being taken away for a boring movie about tall, blue humanoids vs giant robots. Not cool at all.
The movie had robots it in?! Another reason to never see it and mad about Disney "partnering" with James Cameron. I dislike most of his movies that I've seen.
WDW Commando Member #75

No trip planned right now

My first dining review! Jan 2011
jmm476 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: