Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Rainforest_Elf
No Worries

DSLR on Airplane?

Okay, this may seem like a really foolish question, but help me.

In 3 weeks, I'll be on a plane to DLR, and it's my first time traveling with my DSLR. My plan is to bring a backpack as my "personal item" and then have one carry on bag. No checked luggage if I can avoid it (only there for 3 days, how much will I need, really?).

Does going through the XRay hurt cameras? Do I need to remove the battery and have them out seperate so I don't get in trouble with the TSA?

I don't know why this is making me so nervous, but it is.

Trips: DL: 9/1995, 10/2008, 9/2012, 8/2014
Rainforest_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainforest_Elf View Post
Okay, this may seem like a really foolish question, but help me.

In 3 weeks, I'll be on a plane to DLR, and it's my first time traveling with my DSLR. My plan is to bring a backpack as my "personal item" and then have one carry on bag. No checked luggage if I can avoid it (only there for 3 days, how much will I need, really?).

Does going through the XRay hurt cameras? Do I need to remove the battery and have them out seperate so I don't get in trouble with the TSA?

I don't know why this is making me so nervous, but it is.
Unless you're shooting film, your camera is absolutely fine going through the xray thingy, batteries and all. If you have a laptop in the bag, you'll have to remove that, of course, but the camera equipment is generally fine going through the scanners.

Now, my experience isn't super high, having taken 2 trips since I got my camera, but in those trips I've gone through security in Mobile, AL twice; Burlington, VT; MCO; Atlanta; and JFK. Never once had a problem (though, they did swab my laptop bag for explosives in Pensacola a couple years ago p).

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
My2Girls66
DIS Veteran

No problems at all getting on a plane with a camera. They don't ask you to take it out like you must do with laptops. No removing the battery, the xray machine will not hurt it. One time they did swab my camera for residue but that was years ago. Relax and enjoy your trip

Susan
My2Girls66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Sometimes my bag looks like a rolling electronics store with laptop (although out of the bag), tablet, 2 cell phones, at least one camera body and a few lenses (sometimes 2 bodies) and an ipod. Every now and then it takes the screener a few extra seconds to process what they are seeing on their screen but nothing more than a chemical swab approx every 10-12th trip. I've never been asked to take anything out nor had the bag opened for a check.

KAT4DISNEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

You're fine putting it through the xray. Heck, I've run film through the xray before and it's been fine. The magnets in the belt that pulls things into the machine would do more damage than the xrays to modern electronics, and even then it would have to sit on those for hours before it would do anything.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: