Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
kbritton
Earning My Ears

Smile What would you rather have the Sony Nex7 or the Sony A65

What would you rather have the Sony Nex7 or the Sony A65. Say you had none of the lenses you are starting new. What would produce better pictures? Better in low light?

Thanks KB
kbritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Hockeyman
It's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Hmm that's a tough one. It really depends on what you looking for and how much you are looking to spend. Would the A77 be in the mix as well? That runs around the same price as the Nex 7.

Edit

Here is what I think you should do. Go buy the A65 and save a few hundred dollars over the NEX 7. Then buy yourself the faster f/1.8 lens since you saved those couple hundred bucks. Start off with that and go out and practice and learn how your camera and lenses work together in those situations. Then in a year or so if you want to upgrade to the NEX 7 or what ever Sony comes out with by then (Nex 9, A99) you can. You cant go wrong with either as far as handling low, I dont think one blows the other out of the water in that department.

WDW Annual pass holder - going since before I could even walk

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Universal Orlando Annual Pass holder since 2000
On Site-Hard Rock-Portofino Bay-Royal Pacific

Busch Gardens / Seaworld Annual Pass holder since 2007

Last edited by Hockeyman; 08-20-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Hockeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Technically, the Nex 7 has better image quality due to the A65 and A77 having the translucent mirror. The Nex 7 gets less noise at higher ISO due to that. I have the Nex 7 and Laea2 adapter. I like the size of the mirrorless cameras. The Nex 7 controls and handling are just terrific. These cameras are aimed at different people. Do you want to carry a heavy camera or a light one. The Nex is a blast.

Here is my Nex 7 photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hps3/
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Hockeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS3 View Post
Technically, the Nex 7 has better image quality due to the A65 and A77 having the translucent mirror. The Nex 7 gets less noise at higher ISO due to that.
True, I didn't even think about that.

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Old 08-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbritton View Post
What would you rather have the Sony Nex7 or the Sony A65. Say you had none of the lenses you are starting new. What would produce better pictures? Better in low light?

Thanks KB
Honestly, I think if judging purely IQ, the difference is so fractionally small for 95% of most people's photography as to be a non-issue. They do share the same sensor, after all! The NEX7 might take a very small lead overall for more extreme photography, such as at the highest ISO levels, due to not having the translucent mirror.

However, other things should be taken into consideration for what type of photography you intend, and what lens needs you have. Will you be shooting lots of action, sports, movement? The A65 will be a little better at this due to constant phase-detect AF with tracking ability, bigger buffer, and longer battery life. Will you be shooting tons of high ISO work? The NEX7 may be a little better due to the lack of translucent mirror. Will you be needing primarily long-reach telephotos or large long primes? The A65's body will generally give better spread of controls, more grip, better weight balance, etc. Will you be looking primarily for compactness and using with wider lenses or primes? The NEX7 is an obvious advantage for compactness. Do you want to work primarily with autofocus lenses and want maximum diversity? The A65 has a much larger native lens selection with autofocus, whereas the NEX7 would require the additional LA-EA2 adapter to match the same lens selection, and would still be missing stabilization with most of those. Do you enjoy working with older lenses, manual lenses, etc? The NEX7 body is significantly better for using with manual lenses, since the registration gap is minimal allowing it to be used with nearly any lens ever made from any mount and any brand, via a simple and cheap metal spacer ring.

And so on. All those types of things should be considered when choosing between these two cameras.

Personally, I had a very difficult time choosing a NEX over a DSLR, or a DSLR over a NEX...so I shoot with BOTH!
Old 08-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

The Nex does NOT have stabilization in body. That could also be a big factor. I miss it sometimes.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

The Nex does NOT have stabilization in body. That could also be a big factor. I miss it sometimes.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
ukstitch
I'm not sure I'm quite your average, typical male
I think I need to eat some humble pie
I've got a few hours of DIS chatting ahead of me tonight

It's a tough call in my opinion...

The A65 will give you GPS, stabilisation, more buttons/dials (less having to dig settings out of menus when you want to change something) and more zoom due to the "common/budget" zoom lenses being 300mm with the A65 vs 200mm with the Nex 7.

The Nex 7 will give you something more portable, with better image quality at higher ISO (low light etc). Adapters are available to fit any lens available for the A65, although these adapters aren't cheap and remove much of the portability of the camera.

Personally - I think I'd be more tempted by the A65, but it's a very individual choice...

Facebook | Flickr | 500px

ukstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
Hockeyman

Quote:

Thanks KB
So now that you have read a lot of our opinions im curious on which one you are leaning towards or have decided to get and for what reasons?

Old 08-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
kbritton
Earning My Ears

still not sure I love your shots with the a55 and im really liking hps3's shots with the nex7. All i do know is im running out of time, and I could see me getting down there and using auto mostly because im not familiar enough with either camera. Ill let you know which one i end up with. Im kinda leaning towards the a65 because i came from a dslr (nikon d80)

Thoughts?
KB
kbritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
Hockeyman

Quote:
still not sure I love your shots with the a55 and im really liking hps3's shots with the nex7. All i do know is im running out of time, and I could see me getting down there and using auto mostly because im not familiar enough with either camera. Ill let you know which one i end up with. Im kinda leaning towards the a65 because i came from a dslr (nikon d80)

Thoughts?
KB
I dont really love my shots either with the A55 It was the best camera that I could afford at the time and had the features that I wanted and stuck with Sony since I have already invested in a bunch of lenses and accessories. I had the A390 for about 6 months prior to getting the A55 and that was a step up in picture quality and features but still I can see the differences between the A55 and some of the higher end cameras and that leaves me wanting more . If I had the money at that time I would have gotten the A77 I think. Granted at that time the Nex7 was fairly new and I really didn't know much about and had not seen many photos but have since seen some amazing drop dead shots from Harry and Hamilton with the Nex 7. As far as my next camera goes im not sure what direction ill take. I kind of like having the DSLR body so I may stick with that style but a new camera for me wont be anytime soon. Im kinda of anxious to see what becomes of the rumors I read of the NEX 9 and A99 and see how they handle low light and noise.

Aslo since your coming from a DSLR background with the D80 it shouldn't take you too long to get used to the Sony. As long as you have your basics down with exposure, shutter, aperture and ISO and how they all intertwine then you should be fine, haha I rhymed Its just then a matter of getting used to the controls. How much time do you have until you leave for your trip?

Dont know if you have stumbled across this site but they do a pretty in depth review of the cameras. Just some more food for thought.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex7/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta65

Last edited by Hockeyman; 08-21-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman View Post
I dont really love my shots either with the A55
I think you actually got a compliment for your pictures with the A55, not a diss. There was just a period missing at the end of "still not sure" which was in response to what camera was decided upon.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #13
Hockeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
I think you actually got a compliment for your pictures with the A55, not a diss. There was just a period missing at the end of "still not sure" which was in response to what camera was decided upon.
Well I feel like a chuckle head

Old 08-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
Hockeyman

I will say this, I am happy that I bought the A55 and would buy it again if I had to. I just see shots that come out of cameras like the Canon EOS 5D Mark III and get camera envy just dream of the pictures I could be taking

Old 08-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

I think that all current cameras are great as far as image quality is concerned. I went from a D5100 to the Nex 5n to the Nex 7. I was eyeing up the Pentax K30 as a second camera for the weather sealing and stabilization but just don't think I would use it much. I'm so used to the mirrorless size that I don't want to carry 10 lbs. of gear anymore. I've recently sold my Sigma 17-50 and the Tokina 11-16 because I wasn't using them due to the size and weight. The only place the Nex struggles to me is in continuous focus abiut the LAEA2 solves that problem. I've never used the A65 but I think the Nex 7 tri-nav controls ROCK! If only they would move the darn movie button.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: