Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 01:54 AM   #77
m6c5a90
MaryAsh

Wow, now THIS is entertainment!! I went on a roadtrip with friends 10 hrs each way last week and I thought that was rough (7 people, 1 SUV ) I can't imagine non-stop cross country. The memories are the kind of crazy stuff that I'll remember forever though, just like all of this crazy goodness you've included in this TR so far!!

Mary
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2012, 04:17 AM   #78
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeb144 View Post
Sounds like fun, visiting with the border patrol in Texas. Not! Glad you escaped.

Now, what is this pic supposed to be of? Just wondering...
It was a blast...NOT... so glad we escaped too!

Mmmm well once we were far away from border patrol a bra may have been flown out the window in a sort of gesture of freedom and victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane2073 View Post
Did they at least appologize when they realized you weren't smuggling drugs???
Check and question if you have to, but there also needs to be a level of common courtesy too! You have my admiration for not letting that put a huge damper on your trip!
No apologies BUT the lesser of the two evil guys doing the questioning made a joke about us accidentally driving into Mexico. Then he looked at us strangely when we didn't laugh?? So odd. We can't go from Prisoners to joking around buddies just like that my friend! It didn't put a damper on the trip BUT it did make us change our route home. Boo Hiss for Highway 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypoppins View Post
OMg I wanna go to WDW with u guys you seem so fun!!!
Ha ha thanks! If you like strange and horrific things happening on the way there we are definitely the friends for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedee View Post
I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I just had to let you know how much I'm enjoying your trip report! I keep getting strange looks from my dh because I am literally laughing out loud while reading! I can't wait for more.

Terri
Ahhh lurking is the best I feel honoured you came out to say that. Thank you so much! I am always laughing and 'oohing' and 'ahhing' when I am reading trip reports so don't worry, you're not the only ones getting those strange looks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNotAPrincess View Post
Holy moley! When you guys have road trip adventures, you don't mess around! This is so awesome that the only question is, who do you want to play you in the movie??
Haha no way, no messing around for us! It's all business...

Ummmm Stacey?
Aussiesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #79
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaggie View Post
Loving this. We live just outside of Houston on 10. My nightmare is getting pulled over to have the car searched by boarder patrol. Not because I have anything but because it seams scary.

It was so scary!!!! We had nothing at all that could even be close to suspicious!
Maybe we have suspicious faces??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom&RN View Post
Great update! Making assumptions about distances when looking at Texas on a map bites you every time! Things look close together but NOTHING in Texas is close together FYI - the border patrol checkpoint you were stopped at is just East of El Paso, my guess is they searched you guys because you were young.... and had those very suspicious looking pillows that needed dog prints on them! I love your story about spending time with the *ahem* ladies of the night, way to turn a weird moment into a fun one! This is how I pictured all of you in the bathroom: It is freaking me out that you have been driving this whole time - you need some sleep!
I really learnt that the hard way!! You are too right!!
You know what I had El Paso written in my trip diary but then when I went to google the exact location the other day before I posted it kept coming up with a different name so I thought I had it wrong?!
So odd!

I think they searched us because two of us weren't American citizens.
That was one of the first things they asked BUT come on- Australia is pretty much the least threatening country out there!
I agree- our new pillows must have looked too clean!!

That is exactly the scene in the bathroom, gosh it was scary! And we couldn't turn around and not go into the bathroom as it would have looked soooo obvious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Your adventure across the U.S. has so many great stories it's like out of a movie! Unfortunately, the movie that comes to mind for your hitchhiker story is "No Country For Old Men".

Can't wait for more!
Hilarious!!! I love that you brought that movie up!
Ahhh the side of the road Texas folk... gotta love em?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmama3 View Post
So glad I found your trip report- love it! I always love a good road trip- have driven cross country a couple of times (and will be driving to WDW on Tues!!). Can't wait to read more, you are cracking me up!
Roadtrips are the best! I seriously love them so much it's silly!
I hope you have an amazing trip down to Disney!!
And thank you so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmandan View Post
I'm in for this TR.
Welcome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliPoli View Post
Had a busy weekend so I'm checking back and just got updated...

You all needed a hug after getting through Texas!

Isn't it funny how someone can saw the words "wet dog" and you instantly remember the distinct wretched smell of wet dog and not lightly remember it, but full on KERPOW remember it. and since I'm on the braver side, I would have asked the border patrol to provide me with at least a towel to wipe out the muddy puppy tracks. You can always send them a cleaning bill!

Hanging on your words til next update. Way to go!
Awh thanks! I'll take that well deserved hug

Ugh I know! Why they smell so bad when they get wet??
You are way braver than me! I just wanted to get out of there
I really should send a cleaning bill... or maybe an emotional distress bill

You're so sweet! It should be tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-P-C-O-T View Post
Oh my ,! When you guys go on a road trip, you go all out...Can't wait to hear the rest of this adventure!
We really do! (even if it isn't intentionally)
Hooray I hope you enjoy the rest of our crazy journey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Joining in, loving this TR! I would LOVE to do a road trip across the US someday, my DH were just talking about how we need to go to California and how we would need at least 2 weeks there because we want to see the whole state, so add in a road trip and we would probably need another 2 weeks!

I don't have anything against TX, but driving through it sounds terrifying! First that sign about the escaped inmates, and then seeing the potential murderer twice, and THEN the border control nonsense! I don't get why you even had to be stopped if you were in the US? Strange!

Can't wait to read more!
Welcome!!! Yeah it was on my list of things to do for a while so it felt good to cross it off.
I think your timeline sounds a little more reasonable than ours

I know!! If you look at the map- the sign, murdering hitchhiker and border patrol all happened within the first few hours! Talk about good impressions
I think it's because we weren't all American citizens? I really don't know!
But the running joke in our group is still that it was Tim's attire
Old 08-21-2012, 04:57 AM   #80
honeylove
Mouseketeer

Your TR is awesome! It's something I had wanted to do, but never got around to while living in SoCal.

honeylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:08 AM   #81
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura74 View Post
Wow! This road trip sounds like a movie.

It really started to feel like one too! Felt like there must be hidden cameras!

It just gets better. I love how you’re in pajamas to boot!

I'm sure the passers by enjoyed the pyjamas too!

This is making me so angry. This all seems so unnecessary and rather bullying.

Yeah, it was a little silly because it was literally the same two questions.
Although I met Josh in a shop- so maybe that doesn't sounds believable to some?

Oh, they were mocking.

Yeahhhh I assumed as much...

Who do you submit a bill to? This is so upsetting. No wonder you moved back to Australia.

I know, they really should have got us new pillows!
Aw no I love America- I miss it so much!
I can tell you now that a roadtrip in Australia is a lot less exciting!

Gack! Not Denny’s again! It’s bringing back painful memories.

And by that you mean wonderful greasy 3 am memories...

Seriously. This could be a movie. It reminds me of that movie After Hours from the 80s.

Would love to know what you were chatting about.
Oh gosh we talked about so much! They were so lovely!!
Some of the topics they brought up were a bit 'un-disboardish' though

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
Ahh, noticed on your comment that you had a TR link, and I HAD to check it out. So glad I did!

Your adventures sound, I don't wanna say fun, because being searched by border patrol and encountering something straight out of the Hitcher isn't exactly barrels of laughter, so I'll go with memorable!

And now I'm curious to see what happens when you make it into the backwoods of America. (Louisiana and MS) I've lived in both those states and know that they make Texas look like paradise.

I also have to say, I used to joke about road tripping with friends, reading your TR makes me want to spontaneously go on one now!
Aww yay welcome!!!! I'm glad you did too

Haha well it was fun- in the non scary bits! And everything is hilarious in hindsight right? But yes it was very very memorable!!

Yeahh we had some very interesting times in those states.

You should do it! It's the best fun! Just maybe stay off highway 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Oh my goodness! It sounds like this trip is turning out to be quite an adventure! Car sickness, hitchikers, stretches of nothingness and now a search by border patrol. Are you sure we aren't related because I thought those sorts of "adventures" only happened to our family.
I know!! We had a pretty crazy trip! At least it wasn't boring?
Maybe we are related, weird 'adventures' seem to happen regularly to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Hmmmmm....if this picture was taken as you were driving up to the inspection station, I might now understand why you were pulled over!
Haha now the truth comes out
Actually this happened when we were far far away from the inspection station in a victory 'take that' kind of moment. I promise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimGrinningStitch View Post
I just got all caught up, and, um, I love this trip report. So entertaining!

I have to say, I'm extremely jealous of your spontanious road trip. It's those kind of trips that you end up remembering forever, and give you some amazing stories to tell.

Though I have to say, how did you have any energy left for Disney World? I have a hard time recovering after a 5 hour red eye flight!

Can't wait to see what happens next!
It really is a trip we will always remember! I mean who could forget the all this insane stuff! Really made us even closer friends too (near death experiences do that )

Oh we had a day of zombie-ing around our accomodation not even moving or talking- pure recovery mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypoppins View Post
I keep checking back for an update i'm withdrawals LOL
Haha later tonight I promise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
I'm so IN !!! What a grand adventure you are having already !! Oh eM Gee !! I can't wait to see what happens next
Welcome!! Hooray!!!
Yes the adventures came hard and fast in this trip!
Get the popcorn ready as you're about to find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6c5a90 View Post
Wow, now THIS is entertainment!! I went on a roadtrip with friends 10 hrs each way last week and I thought that was rough (7 people, 1 SUV ) I can't imagine non-stop cross country. The memories are the kind of crazy stuff that I'll remember forever though, just like all of this crazy goodness you've included in this TR so far!!

Mary
Oh my!! 7 people would be insane! We went crazy with 4!

Exactly, we really got the most amazing memories from this trip.
And all these crazy stories we can share forever!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:11 AM   #82
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Chapter Four

How To Terrify A Truck Driver And Realllly Test Your Brakes!!

Before I get on with the next update I will clear up a few things about the failing driving schedule that I had worked so hard at.
Now for anyone keeping track Josh had driven 4 hours right at the beginning before becoming quite nauseous and dizzy. Tim had driven 2 hours just after moth city I believe (his shift was cut short for reasons that will soon be explained) and I had driven the rest.
Which means so far I had driven about 16 hours .
One thing I have yet to address is why Bek had not driven yet.
She was as enthusiastic as anything and very happy to drive until she arrived in America and was completely freaked out by the wrong side of the road thing. She attempted to have a few laps in a parking lot the day before we left and she was completely spooked by it. I would never put someone behind the wheel who was terrified, so she was scrapped from the schedule.[

WARNING I also feel the need to put out a warning that this next lot of photos are disgusting. We truly look like we have been in a sweaty car for days and there is no hiding it. We don't usually look like this I promise!

So when we left off we had just shared a hearty 4am meal with some ladies of the night at our favourite middle of the night dinning establishment Denny's.
So at this point after climbing under a table and spitting a drink on myself I realized I should have a little rest from driving. So I tried to have a power nap while Tim drove us through Houston. You know what doesn’t help power naps? Wet dog smelling pillows…
Yeah still a little bitter about that whole ordeal.
Here is a re-enactment we did of the nap when the sun came up as our night photos didn't work!

Anyway I tried to drift off thought about how nice it would be to wake up NOT in Texas!!! Mmmmmmm

I was awoken by the smell of exhaust and also the fact my legs were dripping wet with freezing water!?! I woke up in such a state of confusion it took me a while to process what was going on. I was conscious enough to read a road sign which said….

HOUSTON…

WHAT?????

I checked the time and I had been asleep for about a couple of hours and we had pretty much gone nowhere!!!! We were stuck in early morning traffic and it was bumper to bumper and horrible!!! Tim told me it had been crawling along for a while and just seemed to be getting worse! The sun was coming up and the heat was already insane.

To top it off the air conditioner-which had been on non stop since we left California, had decided it wanted to have a little break and drip water everywhere. Well just on my outstretched legs but still.
It was coming down from kind of behind the glove box?
Not sure if anyone else has ever experienced this- but it was the strangest thing!
So it was decided we would just pull in and have some Starbucks and a morning break while the traffic cleared up.

Morning Josh!

So we crawlled along in traffic for another decade until the next large exit slowly appeared. We also had switched off the air-con due to its incontinence issues so it was pretty much a sauna on wheels at this stage.
Finally after sweating off a couple of pounds we pulled into a complex that had a gas station, a large grocery store and a Starbucks. It was in quite a nice fancy area by the looks of things and it was positively brimming full of smart business yuppy types grabbing their pre work caffeine fix.
We parked and strolled into Starbucks and it was only after we had sat down with our beverages that we realized everyone seemed to be looking at us strangely. Now at first- I am a little ashamed to admit this- I thought it was because they saw our caifornia license plates when we parked out side and so we were the ‘cool’ out of towners…
Yeahhhh it took a couple of minutes before it hit us- we looked terrible… really terrible. We all had oily skin, greasy crazy hair, gross car tripping clothes, bloodshot eyes AND I am fairly sure we had quite a pungent smell surrounding us that was a mix of car sweat and wet dog. And we were quite hyperactive and hysterical due to the lack of sleep and amounts of caffeine.
So yeah, that was most likely why we were attracting stares.
After we had our coffee, we went to fill up the car and use the bathroom.

Now at this stage my coffee had not kicked in and I wandered into the bathroom at the gas station without really paying attention. Well…that wasn’t the ladies. It was only a few steps in when I literally crashed into a truck driver. He let off a high pitched yelp, but in a manly truck driverish way and I full out screamed in his face. Then we both stood there for a second before I slowly backed out of the door and turned back towards the ladies. Now this situation is quite strange because Bek and I were walking right next to each other into the bathroom area . So I still don’t know 1. How I veered off into the male toilets and 2. Why she didn’t stop me or say anything? Apparently she thought I was after a change of bathroom scenery

At least scaring the truck driver really woke me up, even moreso than the Starbucks.

So we were back on our road.

The rest of Texas was fairly mundane.

Until we hit the border into Louisiana!!

Then we had a leaving Texas party. We screamed and yelled and ‘hoorayed’ and threw confetti (read clothes and rubbish) in the air in celebration!!!! YEHAWWWWWW!

So the next state we hit was Louisiana. Now not too far in we went on a ridculously long bridge that went over a mass of water (once again feel free to chime in with names)

It was really pretty BUT the animals from this water seemed to be on some sort of suicidal mission as they seemed to be literally crawling out of the water and onto the road. Like the old school video game with the frog crossing the road…Froggit? We saw some tires on the road ahead and went to swerve. Then they stuck their heads out...turtles??? Just chillin in the middle of a 6 lane freeway. BRAKKEEEE!!! It literally was a turtle suicide pact or that’s at least what it felt like.
So this is when we had a few more issues arise with Tim’s driving and he was quite promptly ‘banned’ for lack of a better word. Firstly within a few minutes of Tim being in Louisiana, he hit a large turtle. Ugghhh Tim

Now this would have been more acceptable if it was a small turtle in the middle of the road. But it wasn’t, it was large..and right at the edge. There were tears from all of us. I won't go into it, but it was strike one against Tim’s driving. As well as the fact he couldn't figure out the cruise control (he literally would get so annoyed at the cruise control button he would be yelling at it and smashing his hands on the wheel at the same time), he almost hit another few animals, and he seemed to really enjoy driving along that bumpy line that warns you you're going off the road. oh Tim we love you, just not your driving. His driving was quite erratic and unpredictable and there were far too many animal fatalities! So after all these incidents Bek and Josh both whispered to me that they couldn’t really relax with Tim driving and if I could just do a little bit more they would be more than appreciative.
So we pulled over and switched and then continued down this road (aka turtle suicide alley) trying to keep to casualties to a minimum. We drove along with Tim and I chatting the front and Bek and Josh sleeping in the back. Suddenly something caught both of our eyes on the road ahead, as we went past it I couldn’t believe my eyes. What the heck? "Was that an alligator????" Tim screamed "yes!!!!!!" I screamed back.
Just picture this guy- but halved.

So maybe for people who live in areas where you see alligators that wouldn't be a big deal but for a Californian and an Australian it was. Ok so maybe it was more like 3/4 of an alligator as it had already met a sticky end via a semi trailer but nonetheless he was a big boy it was pretty much on of the most interesting piece of roadkill I have seen on a road.

Next up

THE Most Awkward Bathroom Experience And Trust Falls!!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #83
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

OMG I'm not alone LOL,I too have accidentally walked in the mens room......I was at walmart with my bestie and she also went into the right one!!!I walked into the mens room Right past the urinals not even thinking,then after when I was washing my hands I happened to look in the mirror and noticed urinals behind me!!! I burst out laughing so much i had tears in my eyes.my friend had walked back into the ladies room to see what I was so hysterical about only I wasn't in there ofcourse.I finished washing and drying my hands and then casually walked out

cheekypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #84
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Wow. I feel terrible for you guys! Border Patrol sounds downright scary, but your description of your friend's outfit had me cracking up.

Ladies of the night huh? Awesome. I'm so glad that Laura sent me over here!

So after Houston you'd slept for 2 hours, and they made you drive again?!? You poor thing.

Love the trucker story

Frogger was one of my favorite video games growing up, not sure I'd like to play a real life version though. That's some road kill!!!
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #85
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Oh you poor thing, you were so tired that you walked right into the men's restroom! I am sure that you were quite embarassed but at least it made for a funny story.

As a gal from Louisiana, I never really thought about just how many dead animals I see on the side of the road, or in the middle of the road for that matter, on a daily basis. At least you only saw frogs, turtles and a half an alligator. I usually see frogs, beaver, raccoons, squirrels, deer and turtles. When you stop and think about it, I'm surprised there are any animals left in the State of Louisiana.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #86
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

The 80's video game was Frogger.

You are such a great writer...I totally feel like I'm right there in the hot and sweaty, dog smelling car.

I would freak out about driving in Australia too! You guys drive on the wrong side!

Jill in CO
Old 08-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #87
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesalad View Post
WARNING I also feel the need to put out a warning that this next lot of photos are disgusting. We truly look like we have been in a sweaty car for days and there is no hiding it. We don't usually look like this I promise!
When you start writing a trip report, you soon realize that a few warts are going to have to be bared.

Another great chapter!
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #88
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Oh my great freakin' goodness!

OK, I admit that I, too, have wandered mistakenly (as opposed to on purpose) into the men's room. It happens!

Ah, Louisiana wildlife...so sorry you had to see half an alligator. Here in Florida, we are home to Alligator Alley, and it's not uncommon to see gators sunning themselves on the side of the road, and I've had to stop for gator crossing. But I've never seen a partial gator. Grisly!

Even though I know you arrived alive (you are writing a trip report after all), I'm worried about you driving with so little sleep!!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #89
GrimGrinningStitch
A Swinging Wake

Oh thank god for Starbucks! If I had to drive as much as you did, I would have requested an IV drip of coffee to keep me going. I'm on the borderline of needing that daily as it is. Or maybe just a bearded trucker I continually run into in the most awkward way possible.

Also, the idea of an alligator in the middle of the road is terrifying! I mean, even though it didn't work out well for the gator, I can't imagine driving along and suddenly seeing a prehistoric reptile just hanging out, sunning itself in the middle of the road.
GrimGrinningStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #90
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Okay, I HAVE to comment because I just read all of your updates now and was quite literally laughing out loud at my computer at some of the things that have happened (and got really sad at the turtle death, as they're my favorite animal, but let's just not chat about that!)...

Anyway! This is ridiculously entertaining. I can't believe you guys just decided to drive cross country though... amazing!

GrimGrinningStitch is my husband (aka Matt in my TR/PTRs), and when he heard me laughing over here he kept asking what part I'd just read after I told him I was reading your TR. I died at the pillow/wallet part, and the trucker, hahaha.

Can't wait to read more of your TR!
danimaroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: