Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
TheTrickyTwister
Every day is magic to me, as I'm a magician! What a great job!

Can't purchase a gift for our state room

In this day and age of technology it's very strange how difficult it is to give Disney money!

I wanted to arrange a couple of gifts to be in our state room on the Fantasy in October, however, due to our balance being paid in dollars, from the Uk we are unable to purchase gifts in dollars over the phone and by credit card????

They explain that this is due to the system they have set up, I really don't understand what system can prevent you paying for a gift by credit card?

Does anyone have an explanation for this?
TheTrickyTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrickyTwister View Post
In this day and age of technology it's very strange how difficult it is to give Disney money!

I wanted to arrange a couple of gifts to be in our state room on the Fantasy in October, however, due to our balance being paid in dollars, from the Uk we are unable to purchase gifts in dollars over the phone and by credit card????

They explain that this is due to the system they have set up, I really don't understand what system can prevent you paying for a gift by credit card?

Does not make much sense.....can you fax or mail this form? It is used for ordering gifts.

http://dcl1.wdpromedia.com/media/dcl...d%202_2_11.pdf

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
TheTrickyTwister

It's the payment format?

I asked if a different credit card would help. No it has to do with our booking being paid in pounds and the gifts being in dollars. To send a fax would still have the same credit card info.

I can't understand? I have never encountered this type of problem before. We have purchased MNSSHP tickets on line with our credit card so what is the difference?

It's all very strange?????

Last edited by TheTrickyTwister; 08-19-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spellings error
Old 08-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

You might contact Shirley at The Perfect Gift and see whether she is able to accept your credit card. Her gifts are actually nicer than DCL's as they are personalized--her gift basket will contain what YOU specify rather than a "pre-done" package.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
TheTrickyTwister

Sounds like a plan!

I think that may be a good plan of action :-)
Old 08-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
AndyR
DIS Veteran

I think the person you talked to doesn't know which way is up. CC charges are billed in the local currency of the seller and converted to the holders base currency by the CC company.
2008 Mar DL Repo Mini Meet, Aug Captain Jack's Panama EB Repo
2009 Feb Contemporary (DSIL gets's married @ Grand Floridian), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Mar - Disneyland, Jul - Boardwalk
2010 Mar AKL - Sept Grand Californian, Nov Grand Californian
2011 Jan Boardwalk & Dream Maiden Voyage, DL March, Apr GCH, June, GCH, Aug - Bay Lake Tower, Oct Wonder 7nt MR
2012 June - Panama Pirate Reunion on Fantasy - There's the Jack I know....
2013 April - Tokyo Disney, August - Aulani, Sept - Disneyland, Oct - Disneyland MHP, Dec - Grand Cali.
2014 Mar - GCH, July DCL Alaska, Aug - GCH, Sept - PPH, Oct DCL Magic B2B Southern & Repo, Nov - Bay Lake

AndyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:

Quote:
I asked if a different credit card would help. No it has to do with our booking being paid in pounds and the gifts being in dollars. To send a fax would still have the same credit card info.

I can't understand? I have never encountered this type of problem before. We have purchased MNSSHP tickets on line with our credit card so what is the difference?

It's all very strange?????
I'm confused....did you make the booking in £ or $ ? And which currency was your credit card charged?

Strange that the agent told you that you couldn't purchase something from the gifts section, maybe they didn't know or didn't want to ask if it really could be done.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
emmah16
Mouseketeer

Hiya

I have purchased cruises both in £ and $ with a TA and also direct with DCL and I have never had any problems in buying gifts for the state room.

I would DCL again and have another go. Like I said I had no problems whatsoever and they was also very helpful on the other end of the phone.

emmah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
LunaCup
1 cruise away from Gold Castaway Club Membership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmah16 View Post
Hiya

I have purchased cruises both in £ and $ with a TA and also direct with DCL and I have never had any problems in buying gifts for the state room.

I would DCL again and have another go. Like I said I had no problems whatsoever and they was also very helpful on the other end of the phone.
I'm not from the UK but I would suggest calling again as this poster has said. If you have ever called the DCL reservation line (or others) you will find that the answer usually depends on the person on the other line. It may be due to lack of experience and/or not knowing the answer not really sure. I think sometimes they give you what they think to be the right answer but talking to someone else gives you different results. Hopefully the 2nd time around you will find someone a bit more helpful. Good luck!

DCL:
Disney Magic Aug. '08 7 night
Disney Wonder Mar. '07 4 night
Disney Wonder May '07 3 night
Disney Wonder Sept. '08 3 night
LunaCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:32 AM   #10
TheTrickyTwister

It is confusing...

The phone call was the second time I had contacted DCL, the first was via email to see if I could email an order form. The reply was explaining about the payments not being able to be taken because we paid for our trip in pounds.

This was a confusing email as I had only asked if I could email the form to them as I don't have a fax machine.

So after the phone call, and going through all the details, the CM was very apologetic that she couldn't take the payment and explained that because our DCL booking had been paid in pounds the system wouldn't take the payment for a dollar amount.

Our DCL booking was done via a UK agent and we paid them in full many months ago, the payment was done via bank transfer and not by our credit card.

So if a friend wanted to buy a gift for our state room I should imagine the same problem would occur?

It's not a problem, just a little disappointing.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
emmah16
Mouseketeer

I did my purchases over the phone and not by e-mail/fax. There really should not be a problem. Try ringing them again I know this will be your 3rd attempt but give it a go, if you get the same answer ask to speak to a manager and explain that others have paid for their cruise in £'s and that they have not had any problems with purchasing gifts for their state rooms.

emmah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #12
AndyR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So if a friend wanted to buy a gift for our state room I should imagine the same problem would occur?

It's not a problem, just a little disappointing.
This should not occur. Just call them up and tell them you want to order gifts for the room. These charges are billed directly to you and not linked to your room other than for a place to deliver them.

Andy
2008 Mar DL Repo Mini Meet, Aug Captain Jack's Panama EB Repo
2009 Feb Contemporary (DSIL gets's married @ Grand Floridian), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Mar - Disneyland, Jul - Boardwalk
2010 Mar AKL - Sept Grand Californian, Nov Grand Californian
2011 Jan Boardwalk & Dream Maiden Voyage, DL March, Apr GCH, June, GCH, Aug - Bay Lake Tower, Oct Wonder 7nt MR
2012 June - Panama Pirate Reunion on Fantasy - There's the Jack I know....
2013 April - Tokyo Disney, August - Aulani, Sept - Disneyland, Oct - Disneyland MHP, Dec - Grand Cali.
2014 Mar - GCH, July DCL Alaska, Aug - GCH, Sept - PPH, Oct DCL Magic B2B Southern & Repo, Nov - Bay Lake

AndyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
You might contact Shirley at The Perfect Gift and see whether she is able to accept your credit card. Her gifts are actually nicer than DCL's as they are personalized--her gift basket will contain what YOU specify rather than a "pre-done" package.
I'll second that idea.
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
TheTrickyTwister

I had my travel agent call DCL and she received the same result. Not able to order an item because the booking was paid in UK pounds. My travel agent was perplexed at this and couldn't understand the reason.

I have booked all our port adventures and have a credit card linked to our booking and yet we can't order a gift or two.

I give up and regrettably give a thumbs down for Disney on this one.

I will spend my money somewhere else :-(

Last edited by TheTrickyTwister; 08-20-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: More info

Tags
fantasy, gifts, stateroom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: