Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #31
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Every time I see the "Big Fatty Rating" it really makes me laugh! Awesome reviews so far! I agree that CHH is a wonderful place to relax and have a good meal (despite it's apparent lack of meaty goodness! )

Looking forward to more! (and more lovely drinks?)
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #32
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanienamou View Post
Love your reviews! We are going to Kona in two months and I can't wait!
Thanks! I'm sure you will enjoy it lots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John's Mom View Post
Joining in. Great reviews.
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytinkerbell View Post
Great start! Thanks for the fantastic Paradisio 37 pictures! I have really been wanting to try that place, but I haven't seen too many photos. Your dip trio has totally tipped the scales for me and now I know I have to try it.

Your almond chicken from Kona looks great too! That looks like something I might have to try in the future.

Can't wait to read more!
We were surprised with how much we loved those dips! I meant to say about Kona - Kate and I got the fixed price three course deal - pot stickers, Almond chicken and dessert. So we got three courses and it was included in the regular dining plan - result!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
Every time I see the "Big Fatty Rating" it really makes me laugh! Awesome reviews so far! I agree that CHH is a wonderful place to relax and have a good meal (despite it's apparent lack of meaty goodness! )

Looking forward to more! (and more lovely drinks?)
Ooh, yes - there may be a couple more lovely drinks along the way...

Simon and I once saw 'you big fatty' written in the dirt on the back of a white van - and it tickled us - it's such a lame insult! So we are always quoting it to each other!

I'd forgotten about the missing beer at Kona - there's no excuse for things like that. But it was generally good service here.

We never really had any 'bad' service at WDW - just less than the perfection you come to expect!

I'll try and get cracking with the next installment tomorrow!
mamaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #33
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

I think I could easily gain 5 pounds from reading your dining report so far!! Looking forward to more!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #34
happy2012
♫ ♪There's a great big beautiful tomorrow Shinin' at the end of ev'ry day♫ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboogie View Post

We did quite well this time at not changing our ADRs! It was all very, very good!

Oh...I ended up adding Kona back to our ADRs after seeing this. The steak looks like something my DH would enjoy & everything else looks good to me!! So our 1st Kona dinner is on!!!
happy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #35
deenbrad
DIS Veteran

How did I miss that you started this?! I love Kona. We're planning on breakfast there this trip but I might just have to add dinner too!
off-site many times 1989-2009 (including half of our honeymoon in 1996!), Pop Century May 2011
deenbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #36
DLFan123
living the dream-literally!

Can't wait to read more!
DLFan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:42 AM   #37
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff View Post
I think I could easily gain 5 pounds from reading your dining report so far!! Looking forward to more!
It's just a good job you do so much walking in WDW! I daren't go anywhere near a set of scales since I got back....

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2012 View Post
Oh...I ended up adding Kona back to our ADRs after seeing this. The steak looks like something my DH would enjoy & everything else looks good to me!! So our 1st Kona dinner is on!!!
Yeay! Kona! It's such a lovely, relaxed dining experience. And the Polynesian resort is so beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deenbrad View Post
How did I miss that you started this?! I love Kona. We're planning on breakfast there this trip but I might just have to add dinner too!
We also did breakfast here - you can read more later....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFan123 View Post
Can't wait to read more!
Thanks for reading - I'll get on it as soon as possible!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #38
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

So - our next day was EPCOT day.

After visiting Mars, going under the sea with Nemo and Soarin' over California we decided to stop off for some brunch at Sunshine Seasons.

We really like this counter service spot as it caters for everyone.

I had the beet and goats cheese salad which is always tasty and fresh:

Simon had the pork chop meal:

Kate wasn't too hungry so she nibbled on a cheese and fruit plate:

Sarah had a chicken caesar salad which was huge but I must have neglected to take a photo of it - hey! I was hungry okay?

I had a strawberry shortcake dessert:

This was lovely and creamy with lots of fruit in it. Simon had the chocolate cake:

Another good pick me up here at Sunshine Seasons. Refreshed we went back into the park for more fun. After reaching World Showcase, Simon and I 'accidentally' found ourselves in La Cava Del Tequila.....

The girls left us at this point to have a wander on their own (ahhh the joys of holidaying with a 16 year old and an 18 year old....)

Side note:

At points during this holiday it became difficult to consume alcohol as we became aware of a pair of accusatory eyes staring at us from across the table.

Yes, our eldest Sarah, has just become used to being able to go out and drink alcohol because in England, the legal age to drink is 18. Of course, in America the age is 21 and she wasn't very happy about it!

So we were happy to send her off with Kate so we could indulge in a little guilt free alcohol consumption...

What can I say? We absolutely loved La Cava! It's such a cool, intimate hideaway.

I had to try the much beloved avocado margarita:

I wasn't sure what to expect but I absolutely loved it! Look! :

Simon tried a tequila flight which he really enjoyed:

We also had to try some tortilla chips and salsa:

This was a wonderful break from the hustle and bustle. We could have stayed there all afternoon except for the fact we had to go and meet the kids!

I was sad that I never got back there for the rest of the holiday. Must try harder!

Coming up (honestly!): Tokyo Dining
Old 08-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #39
CanadianPaco
Canadian
I was 5'4" because of my big hair

Oh Sunshine Seasons: beet salad and strawberry shortcake!! ONE WEEK!!
Thanks for your reviews!! Your pics are wonderful!
Aug 2009 - ASMu / Aug 2010 - POFQ
Aug 2007 - HoJos - DL / April 2009 - HoJos - DL
Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
CanadianPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #40
Papaboogie
Disney Jedi

Papaboogie living it large around the (Epcot) World

Ah Epcot, land of infinite (eating) opportunities. And Martin Short.
So, Sunshine Seasons - one of Shari's favourite counter service venues and if Columbia Harbour House and Sunshine Seasons had to step into the Ultimate Fighting Ring inside Shari's head, it'd be a close call as to who'd knocked the (sage and onion) stuffing out of the other.
We stopped for lunch at 11.30am and if there's one tip I could give from my Disney experiences, it is that taking lunch that little bit earlier saves a world of pain. The place was very quiet when we started but had become massively busy by the time we finished.
The Pork Chop was a delight and while I know the counter service at Disney does get knocked, I frankly was of the opinion that I can't believe this meal was a fast-food option. The chop was the biggest chop I had ever seen and was very tender with a nicely flavoured BBQ sauce, which complemented rather than overpowered the dish. The cheddar mash was also very nice (it was a rather large portion in total - excellent value imo).
The chocolate cake was good too (I've yet to find a chocolate cake at Disney that I didn't like though...).
Shari then insisted we go to La Cava Del Tequila (and at this point I'd like to say, despite the 'accusatory' eyes of two teenage girls, I had no guilt over drinking during this holiday. Sarah is 18 and judging by my experiences at her age, she's going to get more than her fair share of alcohol over the next five years...).
This was interesting as I'm not a tequila drinker, but the venue is lovely and so relaxed and proved to be a great idea for a break from the crowds. The tortilla chips and salsa (very spicy, loved it) was very generous and I don't think we managed to get through it all. The Tequila flight was very nice and I'd especially recommend if, like me, you don't really know anything about tequila. The range of tastes was an eye-opener going from very strong throat burner to creamy smooth, almost Baileys like taste. My only problem was I was clueless about how alcoholic all this was and how quickly I should be drinking it all!!! They do several tequila flights and it's a fine way to spend an hour or so with good company in Epcot.
So refreshed, relaxed and slightly light-headed, we headed off back to Epcot and the new dining experience for us of Tokyo Dining...
Papaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #41
jabead
DIS Veteran

Great reviews so far Shari and Simon! I always enjoy seeing my much loved avocado margarita again. I didn't get to visit La Cava on my last trip because one of my two daughters which I was with is only 19 (and I know what you mean about the "eye" thing ). But I did manage to have one at our lunch at San Angel Inn. Ahhh...frozen cocktail perfection!

I'm looking forward to your review of Tokyo Dining. It is one Epcot restaurant that I haven't been to yet. We went a few times when it was...the name escapes me??? Shoot, now I'm going to drive myself crazy trying to think of it.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #42
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Loving your reviews! Thank you for sharing! Can't wait for the avocado margarita, less than two months away!
nanienamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #43
ChrissyBeth29
JustGoofinAround

Brilliant reviews! I also had that delicious chocolate cake from Sunshine Seasons...*sigh*.....makes me want to book a trip right now! lol I'm looking forward to the rest of your culinary crusade!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #44
KristinAnne
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your reviews! Kona looks so good. And I must try that avocado margarita! But first I must convince DH that we should go back in Feb!

KristinAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:29 AM   #45
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPaco View Post
Oh Sunshine Seasons: beet salad and strawberry shortcake!! ONE WEEK!!
Thanks for your reviews!! Your pics are wonderful!
Thank you! One week? Very exciting! I was bad sometimes and forgot to take photos too excited over the food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
Great reviews so far Shari and Simon! I always enjoy seeing my much loved avocado margarita again. I didn't get to visit La Cava on my last trip because one of my two daughters which I was with is only 19 (and I know what you mean about the "eye" thing ). But I did manage to have one at our lunch at San Angel Inn. Ahhh...frozen cocktail perfection!

I'm looking forward to your review of Tokyo Dining. It is one Epcot restaurant that I haven't been to yet. We went a few times when it was...the name escapes me??? Shoot, now I'm going to drive myself crazy trying to think of it.
I love avocados and I love cocktails - but I was skeptical about the two together! I needn't have been. It was lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanienamou View Post
Loving your reviews! Thank you for sharing! Can't wait for the avocado margarita, less than two months away!
Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyBeth29 View Post
Brilliant reviews! I also had that delicious chocolate cake from Sunshine Seasons...*sigh*.....makes me want to book a trip right now! lol I'm looking forward to the rest of your culinary crusade!
There is so much more to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinAnne View Post
Enjoying your reviews! Kona looks so good. And I must try that avocado margarita! But first I must convince DH that we should go back in Feb!
It's always nice to have a trip to aim for!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: